WWYD for last minute July reservation and Aug UY

perchy

WDW Resort Hopper
I was going to skip Disney this summer but my arm has been twisted and I am a pushover.

I have 0 2023 points and my 2024 UY kicks in in August.

We want to travel last week of July which ends in early August. We can’t shift dates right now and we ARE committed to the journey.

We are 5 girls; myself, two tweens and two teens.

I did a cash reservation at CBR for our July dates for now.

Trying to get Poly, Riv or Grand studios for the two showers and pull downs but would consider BLT for the two baths in a 1 BR too.

Thinking after I finalize my August dates, and I look at July.

I know once I move my 2024 points to July, they won’t be modifiable lest they become distressed points.

Am I overlooking a strategy here?

Finalize August dates, even if it means studios with two showers.
Then book July dates under the same 2 shower conditions. Worse case, I have a cash stay.

You are only about 3-months from time you want and you will need to borrow points from Aug 2004 for the July dates, and since the trip will occur in two different use years, you will need to book the July time separate from the Aug time and then have the reservations linked if you do them online. If you call to make the reservations MS may be able to do it as one.

In your situation if you definitely want to go with a DVC room -- and that includes both for end of July or first part of August, then, at three months out, you should likely not be spending time thinking about lots of alternatives and wanting a room that is currently all or partly filled, but instead finding, if possible, a room that is open for the entire time you want it and book it now. You could make the two reservations now and not link them yet, and then maybe later get very lucky and be able to change one or both to a resort and room you might prefer.

Waiting to reserve can be a real problem. With making a reservation this late, things you are seeing open today could be gone tomorrow, and you should not assume there is much hope for things that are already booked to become available. You mention the possibility of a 1BR at BLT because of two bathrooms. If that is not open, you should probably be considering a 1BR at Kidani, which is more likely to be open and has two bathrooms.

Last edited:
To add, any change to the trip less than 31 days resorts in holding status for those points.

While it won’t really matter if you borrow 2024 points for July dates as those will expire no matter what you do as borrowing is final.

The August points will now be restricted to holding no longer eligible for banking, and only can be used for trips 60 days or less from check in

Have you considered Saratoga Springs because that is the only DVC that will probably be available.
I have August Use Year (with only 2 for 2023 ) and almost accidentally booked something in July and was considering one time use points for $20 I think you can buy up to 24 points.
I would definitely call Guest Services because they would prefer to give you the best advice .
That’s what they always tell me .
Also DVC does offer discounted cash reservations for members too.
Good luck !

Also trying to remeber some of the restrictions for DVC trip planning in last 3or 4 months before arrival for some reason that I can’t remeber using banked or borrowed or transferred ;
something like that .
That’s why I suggest calling member services .

Currently I am confused about Walking for Xmas Eve at a Ft W Cabin … I had it but lost it so I guess I forgot how to walk a reservation …

Last edited:
I would actually look at summer discounts/deals in the hotels, to avoid having to borrow into July and having something bad happen with the points. You could use some points in August if you're willing to do a split stay (or do cash pre 8/1 and points after 8/1 at the same resort) ...I often set a reminder in my calendar to be sure 31 days before the reservation starts.

Another option - I'm guessing that OTU points won't be enough to cover your July portion?

(I always get nervous about borrowing)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter