WWYR? (What would YOU rent?)

tessa

Earning My Ears
Ok, we leave on sunday for a long awaited trip!

I am a pro portrait photographer here in Atlanta, and haven't been to the world with my gear before....

My arsenal that I will be taking includes:

D700 body
D300 body (for backup)
24-70 2.8
105mm 2.8 Macro

I would like to rent something... but not sure if I should go wide or long. I obviously have a full frame camera, so the crop sensor issue isn't a problem.

What would you rent?

70-200 2.8
fisheye
12-24 2.8
something wider?? like a 16mm??

I just have no idea! But I plan on going out on my own with my tripod for some night shots and would like to be as creative as possible and get out of my comfort zone that is my studio.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Tessa,
Congratulations on your upcoming trip.

I will throw in my opinion here and say that I would rent the UWA lens (the wider the better). You will be surprised at how my wide angle opportunities you'll see, day and night. It will also come in handy if you plan to shoot Wishes and Illuminations from within the parks.

Just my 2 cents. Have fun and please post some shots here when you return!

I am dying to get my hands on a UWA lens to shoot in the parks. It is real easy to adjust your location most of the time so teles are not that important. I find it harder to get wide shots unless I stand way, way back, but that only adds more distraction to my shots.

The other fun option is fast prime for the dark rides.

yeah I really don't think I want to lug around a 70-200... I used to have one when I was second shooting weddings, but I sold it to help fund my D700....and my 24-70 is a beast as it is!

So.... what UWA would you all recommend?

Tokina 11-16 2.8?
14mm NikKor?
10mm?
16mm Nikkor?

I am really not too knowledgeable about UWA's.... i've never really had a need to go there before...

I have a different opinion. I bring a 17mm-40mm (which is pretty wide on a full frame) and a 70-200mm. I take far more shots with the 70-200mm. It's a question of personal preference. Do you shoot places or people/things?

I took my UWA Tokina 11-16 for the first time last month. My regular lens is a 24-70 and I was amazed at how different everything look at the widest end. Took some getting used to. :) I had my 70-200 with me and never used it. I vote for a wide angle.

Another vote for a UWA. I just received my Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 in the mail on Tuesday (after being backordered a few weeks) and I love love love it! Much more than I thought I would. I can't wait to take it to Disney with me next year. I took it out to get pictures of the nor'easter damage, and then around the city yesterday. It's first real workout with be London in less than a month!

Only thing is that I don't know how worth renting it would be since it's *only* $600.

I rented a Tokina Fisheye for our last trip. I struggle with keeping the lines straight with a regular UWA - PLUS am a fan of the bend so it's a natural choice for me to get fishy. Like everyone said -- you will definately find yourself wanting to go wider and wider once you get there! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter