Xtra XT batteries?

PoohJen

<font color=green>Willing to share a Mickey Bar?<b
Figured I should have one backup battery for my XT.

Canon brand? Has anyone had experience w/ cheaper brands?

(btw, 25 days til cruising!!! Excellent picture-taking practice there! :thumbsup2 )

I bought an extra battery for my Nikon D50 at Best Buy. It is a 3rd party battery. Also at one of the camera stores I go to, they usually put 3rd party batteries in the display camera's.

Haven't had 1 issue with the backup I have. Charged it quite a few times. Only difference with mine is its not quite as powerful. 1300hAm's vs 1500hAm's (or whatever order the letters are in, aMh or aHm or mHa something like that). I think I saw amazon with dSLR batters as low as $20. Don't know their power output though.

For my Canon digital P&S camera, the 3rd party battery I bought is actually more than twice as powerful as the battery that came with the camera.

Here's my take on it, which others do not agree with and I can see their point as well...

I use Canon batteries in Canon cameras . If one fails and damages my camera they are likely to stand behind it. If the camera is out of warranty but the battery is not, probably same deal.

Aftermarket batteries vary widely, some are probably as good as Canon's , some are junk, some are dangerous. Some may well be made by the same supplier that Canon uses, although maybe not to the same specifications (but maybe so).

No question, you will save money with an aftermarket battery over a Canon battery. Is it worth the extra for the insurance?

I also use GM parts in Chevrolets, Honda parts in Hondas, it's just how I do things. I am an engineer, maybe that excuses odd behavior... ;)

I stick with the OEM batteries. I purchased mine as part of a Canon packaged starter kit that included the Canon battery, a Canon 58mm UV filter, and a good sized 'steal me' Canon camera bag that I leave at home (but it holds all my lenses that I am not using). I think I paid something like $74 plus shipping for the whole setup earlier this year from newegg for my 20D.

This is one for the Rebel XT http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16830999350

Mike

I'm the odd one out. I buy my extra batteries from SterlingTek. They are 4:1 ratio in price compared to original Canon and they last longer than original Canon batteries (based on Canadian pricing of Canon batteries)

not so odd, I also went the sterlingtek route and won. In the price and quality categories. $50 for canon battery or two sterlingtek batteries and an A/C D/C charger for the same price???
Mikeeee

All good points; thanks for the quick feedback! (and thanks for the link, MH!) :thumbsup2

Anyone ever hear of "ProPower"? Also, remind me please...what is "OEM"? :wave2:

PoohJen said:
Also, remind me please...what is "OEM"? :wave2:

Original Equipment Manufacturer.

I still have some 3 year old Generic EBAY batteries from my 10D that work great in my 20Ds, that is right they outlasted my camera.

I'm with Bob and Mike. It's not worth risking my camera to save $25.

And that is a helluva deal on the starter kit. The bag alone is $60-$70 most places.

i'll also through my hand up and suggest Sterlingtek. there are a few other 'name brand' 3rd party batteries which are very good. but definitely avoid the redicuously cheap ones from eBay - they often lack the circuitry which regulates charging and discharging and can lead to fire. one of my colleagues had one for their 20D and it burst, ruining the charger, desk, and carpet.

ndelaware said:

And that is a helluva deal on the starter kit. The bag alone is $60-$70 most places.

In the US maybe. In Canada, original Canon battery cost around US$100 whereas Sterlingtek is $12. Call me extreme (actually don't, call me Ishmael, no... call me Kelly) when I bought a Canon camera, I sold my brand-new battery for $60 and buy 4 Sterlingtek batteries instead. So including shipping to Canada, I break even. Cheaper than using 1 original Canon that comes with the package and buy 3 Sterlingteks.

I'm cheap :teeth:

I bought one extra Canon battery and one SterlingTek battery. My XT can't tell the difference but my checkbook sure can.

I also use 3rd party batteries, I make sure they do have the chip in them to control charging and prevent overheating,

I do care about my equipment that's why I have a 5 year macke warranty and also carry insurance coverage on it, so if it goes up in flames I'm covered..

having worked in the manufacturing industry for years, I'm quite sure than none of the leading camera companies have their own battery factory, they pay a company to put their name on the same batteries that are sold cheaper under a generic name..

also having worked in the camera industry for a few years, I wouldn't count on any camera manufacturer to replace a camera due to a defective battery, have fun proving that the problem was a defective battery, rather than improper charging, AKA operator caused problem...

ndelaware said:

yeah i am kicking myself having seen this set and then promptly forgot about it and spent that much for all those things but a bag that isn't as compartmentalized( if that's a real word).... kind of like my ebay purchase of the wrong extension tubes( insert tearing hair out similie here)

Kelly Grannell said:
I'm the odd one out. I buy my extra batteries from SterlingTek. They are 4:1 ratio in price compared to original Canon and they last longer than original Canon batteries (based on Canadian pricing of Canon batteries)

Yes, SterlingTek. That is where I got the extra batteries for my Canon P&S. I forgot about that. I still get an occassional email from them. I remember buying something but forgot what. :rolleyes: I'll have to remember them when/if I need another backup. Great prices over there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter