Yanking kids out of school ?

kdudley3

<font color=orange>I'm a teepee...I'm a wigwam...I
We have gone the same time the last three visits. Except now the vacations are lasting longer.

Last year I airline tix for $118 r/t so I jumped on it. I had to pull the kids out of school. One child had 2 days unexcused absence. I didn't know if I'd get in trouble with the school. I was worried, but nothing happened.

Well, if we go during Spring Break it will cost us a thousand dollars more...ouch !!!

But if we go the normal time, the kids will miss 7 days. I guess my conscience is getting to me. But I try so hard to save money.

So any of you pull your kids out of school for vacation? If so, for how long ?

Please be gentle :rolleyes1

Sorry...wrong board. I tried to delete, but couldn't.

I've done 4 days for a winter ski trip, but not 7.

I am taking mine out of school for 8 days in FEB/MARCH, the school already knows and as long as its pre approved its fine.They get assignments from teachers and yea, it was 1200 more to go during spring break for our whole trip, and sorry,I was a teacher for 10 years and I think its great for parents to spend time with their kids.Assignments can be made up, as long as it is not exam time, which mine have just had, then I don't see the big deal.Don't worry about it, give the school fair warning, We are meeting family members for a family reunion and that is the reason I gave and here in MI that is not a problem for being excused. I know each school district has its own rules. I like that schools here realize that family time is just as important to schooling.Have a great trip, no matter what you decide!

I've taken my daughter out of school for 7 days when she was under 10 years of age. Since then it has been more difficult. I am taking her out for 3 days before April vacation because I can save $1000.00 on airfare (though ending up spending it on the HRH!!!). I did this before she started the middle school and we got the student handbook. It states that she will go on social probation until she makes up her work and that it is strongly recommended that parents do not take their children out of school for vacation. I plan to send in a letter early March and a reminder at the beginning of April. I am praying that the MCAS are not scheduled for that time and that I have teachers that will not cause issues when she tries to make up the work she misses. Good luck - I totally understand taking them out of school since it is so so unfair that the cost is so so much higher during school vacation times.

How old are your children?

If they are still in Elemenary School, they do well, & there are no State Tests, then I say go for it. It happens all the time in our Elementary. But I do not think I would do it in Middle School, the work load is so much more.

Wow - this seems ridiculous to me? My parents always pulled us out of school for vacations - no big deal (I'm 42 now - so I was a 60's kid). In today's world it seems like kids are under the gun from the time they hit kindgergarten - crazy.

Here in California the reason they get upset if you take your child out is two-fold - they miss class, and they also lose funding for each day your child is absent without a "valid" excuse. So they ask parents to "pay the school" back via a personal check. I am not sure how much it is, but I guess I'll find out as I'm pulling my son out for 6 days @ the end of February. I will ask for his assignments a few weeks before we are to depart and just do double homework for 3 days each of the 2 weeks before we leave so there is no problem keeping him up to date.

Personally, I have no problem pulling him out. Travelling is just as much of a learning experience as sitting in a classroom. To this day, I still remember when my parents took me to Hawaii and how fascinating it was to tour Pearl Harbor, tour a pineapple factory, learn about pearls, it was fantastic. It's those fond family vacation memories that matter most later on. The algebra can wait a week!

Case in point - Touring the World Showcase at Epcot, what a fabulous cultural appreciation lesson! Not to mention a great family bonding experience.

Everyone cannot always afford to travel during designated vacation times - the cost is so much more, and the crowds ruin touring (at least for us last April - it was horrible - 2 hour waits for all attractions...we spent so much money - and ended up spending hardly any time at the parks due to the amount of people). We swore we'd never do that again and will just pull our son out of school. One week will not make or break his life. And if that's what schools think, too bad! There is enough pressure being put on our youngsters nowadays.

Anytime a family spends together (in today's work till you drop society)...is time very well spent indeed.

IMHO anyway!

Brando

We're pulling ours out for 4 days between Spring Break and Easter. Two are in highschool and the other's in 8th grade. I never worry about pulling them...I notify the teachers, and hopefully they can catch up on their work when they get back. I believe that the time we have together is important, and we make it work...

I would not pull kids out of junior or senior high school. But I would not reschedule or cancel an already booked vacation so kids can attend make up days due to weather problems, etc.

Elementary school? On a case by case basis. I do not think it is essential for a child to write seven book reports instead of six just for the sake of writing book reports.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

>>> Sorry --- wrong board.
Please omit the apology, it's not your fault the system won't let you delete and the omission will encourage appropriate changes to the system.

brando5111 said:
Here in California the reason they get upset if you take your child out is two-fold - they miss class, and they also lose funding for each day your child is absent without a "valid" excuse. So they ask parents to "pay the school" back via a personal check. I am not sure how much it is, but I guess I'll find out as I'm pulling my son out for 6 days @ the end of February.
Are you kidding me? When you say "they ask parents to pay the school back," do you mean you have a choice? Man, I would refuse! I don't know about California, but here in NY my taxes help fund the schools. IMHO, I am already "paying" towards school funding. As a teacher, I STILL think it is rediculous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter