Yay, my hobby is saving us money!

ThurlFan

Grim Ghost
So we're getting DD a passport, and I couldn't swallow paying $8 to Walgreens or Kinkos or wherever for passport pictures of uncertain quality (I've heard horror stories). So I set up a chair with a piece of posterboard on the wall behind it. I put a work light behind the chair to light up the background (you're not allowed to have shadows in the picture), and took several shots of DD with my new XSi. I cropped and sized according to the guidelines at the state department's website and got the pictures printed together on a single 4x6 at Walgreens (price: 20 cents). Long story short, DD got to choose the shot that she thought turned out best, I saved nearly 8 bucks, and the clerk at the post office wanted to know where we got such good, sharp pictures taken :cool1:

So we're getting DD a passport, and I couldn't swallow paying $8 to Walgreens or Kinkos or wherever for passport pictures of uncertain quality (I've heard horror stories). So I set up a chair with a piece of posterboard on the wall behind it. I put a work light behind the chair to light up the background (you're not allowed to have shadows in the picture), and took several shots of DD with my new XSi. I cropped and sized according to the guidelines at the state department's website and got the pictures printed together on a single 4x6 at Walgreens (price: 20 cents). Long story short, DD got to choose the shot that she thought turned out best, I saved nearly 8 bucks, and the clerk at the post office wanted to know where we got such good, sharp pictures taken :cool1:

If I'm calculating this right, you spent $500 for the Canon XSi so that you could save $7.80 on a passport photo! :)

Just kidding. Congratulations on taking such a great passport photo and making it pass the State Department's strict photo guidelines! :thumbsup2 That's really nice that you can take multiple photos and allow your daughter to choose the best one. You can't do that at Kinko's (now called FedEx Office).

If you can find 64 other people in your neighborhood who need passport photos and charge them $8 each for a 20-cent print, the camera will then pay for itself! :)

If I'm calculating this right, you spent $500 for the Canon XSi so that you could save $7.80 on a passport photo! :)

Shhhhh! Don't tell DW ;)

Actually, she and I are needing passports also which ratchets up the savings to over $20!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter