Yea! I got my camera.

megan_in_pink

Mouseketeer
I got my camera friday. A nikon D60 with a 18-55 vr lens. Now I tryng to find other lens for it. What ones should i get? And I need a pretty camera bag. Thanks for you help.

I just took the advice of other DISers earlier than I expected (just got my D60 yesterday) and got the 18-200mm VR as my new "kit" lens for walk-around situations. I have another thread posting some pictures.

Basically, I'm in love with it. It could be the fact that it was my first real outing with the D60, or the fact that I got some shots I didn't expect to get...but regardless, I can't imagine not having it.

What kind of shooting do you plan on doing??

The 50 1.8 is a great lens. It take some getting used to and is about $150 or so. I love it because it gives a sharp image and is a fixed focal length. As for the camera bag. I have a paded one that I carry the gear in. For shoots, I use a shootsac. I have to carry my camera and store my lenses in the shootsac. I can't wait to try the shootsac at Disney just from a walking around perspective. The shootsac allows me to change lenses quickly. For something really fashion forward I love the Jill-E bags.

The 50 1.8 is a great lens. It take some getting used to and is about $150 or so. I love it because it gives a sharp image and is a fixed focal length. As for the camera bag. I have a paded one that I carry the gear in. For shoots, I use a shootsac. I have to carry my camera and store my lenses in the shootsac. I can't wait to try the shootsac at Disney just from a walking around perspective. The shootsac allows me to change lenses quickly. For something really fashion forward I love the Jill-E bags.

Not to hijack the thread, but it's related. I haven't considered the 50mm f/1.8 because it isn't compatible with the D60 in terms of the auto-focus (meaning I would have to manually focus EVERYTHING).

What model Nikon do you have and if it's anything below the D80, would you mind letting me know how easy or difficult it is to learn to manually focus with this lens and post some pix? I would really appreciate it. I would get this lens since it's so cheap compared to the Sigma 30mm, but was worried it would be a waste until I eventually upgrade to the D80 or above.

Thanks!

+1 for the Sigma 30/1.4 which is a great little fast prime.

Also the 70-300vr is nice and would compliment the 18-55vr nicely. (55mm-70mm is not too much of a gap in range to worry about.)

Enjoy your new camera!

I have the d300. You can't do the autofocus with that camera, but I don't have issues with manual focus on some of my other lenses. The 50 1.8 is a great lens. I prefer the Nikon glass, but that is personal preference. I really want the 50 1.4.

Right now I am working mainly with primes or fixed lenses. I do have one zoom type lens that is variable stop. I use it because I can't carry the 70-200 . That is a killer lens. In my bag right now I am carrying the 50 1.8 which is what I do all of my shoots with. I will be using my 17-35 2.8 this weekend for some events that I am shooting. Just because we are talking 80+ people and I am going to need a wide angle for that.

Try to rent it first and see if you like it. That is how I found out that the 70-200 was a large load to carry around. I need to get there and start lifting the weights.

I have the d300. You can't do the autofocus with that camera, but I don't have issues with manual focus on some of my other lenses. The 50 1.8 is a great lens. I prefer the Nikon glass, but that is personal preference. I really want the 50 1.4.

Right now I am working mainly with primes or fixed lenses. I do have one zoom type lens that is variable stop. I use it because I can't carry the 70-200 . That is a killer lens. In my bag right now I am carrying the 50 1.8 which is what I do all of my shoots with. I will be using my 17-35 2.8 this weekend for some events that I am shooting. Just because we are talking 80+ people and I am going to need a wide angle for that.

Try to rent it first and see if you like it. That is how I found out that the 70-200 was a large load to carry around. I need to get there and start lifting the weights.

I will definitely have to see about renting it before I make any final decisions. Everyone says how great the 50 1.8 is, but I couldn't afford the D80 when I purchased my dSLR body, and now I am trying to decide onj a prime lens to use for good low lighting while in WDW, as well as around Christmas time.

I just got the 18-200mm VR on Friday. I took it out for a spin this weekend and geez, it felt huge compared to the 18-55mm VR kit lens that came with my camera. Not huge enough to keep me from carrying it, but definitely a significant difference from the dinky lens I was getting used to.

PS: I just looked at your trip report and there are still no pix of the wedding and reception! I was so looking forward to seeing a real Disney wedding, but I guess it'll have to wait :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter