Yet another camera bag question

Silock

DIS Veteran
I don't want a bag that's HUGE, but I have some requirements and can't quite find what I'm looking for.

I will be carrying a D5100 with a 35mm prime attached, and then the two kit lenses. And a tripod or monopod. I don't need room for more lenses or a flash, and I'm not looking to future-proof the bag. So, I just need a small camera equipment component with the ability to carry a tripod.

But, I also need some cargo room for a packable down jacket, packable rain jacket, a hat, and a small first aid kit. I won't be carrying a laptop or anything. I'm just thinking about stuff I carry with me regularly in the parks.

Also needs to have two shoulder straps (no slings!) and a waist support. Some kind of mesh backing would be nice, but isn't a necessity considering I'm going in February and it won't be too terribly warm.

Any help would be appreciated. Or a link to a place where I can search via these kind of parameters.

Clik Elite has a good sized bag that meets your requirements. I currently use the probody sport with the following: D7100 with 18-140 attached, 35mm, d700, some space for memory cards and some cleaning supplies. Thats all that is in the camera portion of the bag, then there's the top portion whcih can carry a lot more.

Check it out. It meets your requirements, space for your camera and 3 lenses, tripod, and a small space for your personal effects.

Clik Elite has a good sized bag that meets your requirements. I currently use the probody sport with the following: D7100 with 18-140 attached, 35mm, d700, some space for memory cards and some cleaning supplies. Thats all that is in the camera portion of the bag, then there's the top portion whcih can carry a lot more.

Check it out. It meets your requirements, space for your camera and 3 lenses, tripod, and a small space for your personal effects.

I will 2nd that. I have been using the Clik Elite Probody Sport for about 2 years and I love it. It is well made, comfortable, and can hold a lot. The swing around camera compartment makes camera access quick and easy. My tripod folds down to 11.3" and I can either put it in the top compartment or use the tripod holder on the side of the bag. It even has a hidden rain cover which is great for sudden rainstorms. It's a great bag.
BBQMonster

I picked up a KATA 465 bag before our trip last month. I carried a d90 with medium zoom, a prime, flash and tripod. When we were doing train and plane travel to and fro, I removed the ballhead from tripod and put into the padded section. It does have a laptop compartment but did not use that. Plenty of room for lightweight jacket, snacks, etc. The price of $49 was the deciding factor. This bag was well worth it to me and very comfy at that price.

http://www.amazon.com/KT-DL-DR-465-...6?ie=UTF8&qid=1388698079&sr=8-6&keywords=Kata

Thanks, guys. The Kata is nice, but it's out for me because of the lack of hip straps. It's amazing how much of a difference those things make.

Anyone have any experience with these?:

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-LP363...&qid=1388710307&sr=1-4&keywords=lowepro+200aw

It looks incredibly comparable to the Clik Elite. The only major difference I see is that the Lowepro's main storage compartment looks to be slightly more expansive than the Clik. I do like the top Clik pocket being fleece-lined, though, as that's such a great feature on all my other daypacks when I stow sunglasses. The outer pocket/pouch on the Lowepro looks like it holds a LOT more stuff, especially since it is expandable and can be cinched down with the straps.

Thanks, guys. The Kata is nice, but it's out for me because of the lack of hip straps. It's amazing how much of a difference those things make.

Anyone have any experience with these?:

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-LP363...&qid=1388710307&sr=1-4&keywords=lowepro+200aw

It looks incredibly comparable to the Clik Elite. The only major difference I see is that the Lowepro's main storage compartment looks to be slightly more expansive than the Clik. I do like the top Clik pocket being fleece-lined, though, as that's such a great feature on all my other daypacks when I stow sunglasses. The outer pocket/pouch on the Lowepro looks like it holds a LOT more stuff, especially since it is expandable and can be cinched down with the straps.

No experience with the Lowepro, but after looking at it I would still choose the Clik Elite Probody Sport. It is probably just what I am used to, but I really how the camera access is setup on the Clik. From looking at Lowepro pictures it seems like to access the camera the backpack has to be on it's side. The Clik can be accessed from the side, or you can lay it flat and unzip it all the way to access your camera from the front. The other thing I noticed is the Clik weighs about a half pound less than the Lowepro. Good Luck.
BBQMonster

No experience with the Lowepro, but after looking at it I would still choose the Clik Elite Probody Sport. It is probably just what I am used to, but I really how the camera access is setup on the Clik. From looking at Lowepro pictures it seems like to access the camera the backpack has to be on it's side. The Clik can be accessed from the side, or you can lay it flat and unzip it all the way to access your camera from the front. The other thing I noticed is the Clik weighs about a half pound less than the Lowepro. Good Luck.
BBQMonster

All the reviews say you can just swing it around with one strap on the back and access it. I do agree that the camera setup looks superior on the Clik. I think I may be more concerned about additional storage options, though. There are even straps on the bottom of the Lowepro bag that could cinch down an extra jacket or even a tripod if you wanted to keep a water bottle in the pouch.

I do like the Clik an awful lot, though. It looks as though it's a better made bag.

Hopefully there is a place near you where you can see both of the bags and do a hands on comparison. Otherwise you will have to just go with your gut. Whichever bag you decide on just remember the more you put in it the more it weighs, and most importantly things always seem to weigh more in the afternoon than they did in the morning. My bag seems to weigh so much more when I bring the tripod and my tripod only weighs 2.5lbs.
Let us know which one you decide on.
BBQMonster.

I picked up a KATA 465 bag before our trip last month. I carried a d90 with medium zoom, a prime, flash and tripod. When we were doing train and plane travel to and fro, I removed the ballhead from tripod and put into the padded section. It does have a laptop compartment but did not use that. Plenty of room for lightweight jacket, snacks, etc. The price of $49 was the deciding factor. This bag was well worth it to me and very comfy at that price.

http://www.amazon.com/KT-DL-DR-465-...6?ie=UTF8&qid=1388698079&sr=8-6&keywords=Kata

I love this bag! :)

Silock, I see you are in the KC area, as am I. :wave:

I really found it helpful to be able to see a bag in person before buying. The last one I bought online without seeing it first, I really didn't like.

The largest selection I have found so far in town has been at Overland Photo Supply at 8701 Metcalf. If you are aware of anyone with a larger selection, I'd love to hear so I have other options when I go looking for my next bag. Because we all know there will be a next time. :lmao:

Well, I went ahead with my gut and got the Lowepro. I ordered it in enough time that I can send it back if I don't like it and get the Clik instead.

I didn't look at it in person because I'm just one of those people that never buys things locally. But I will report back on how I like it when it arrives next week.

I have no idea about local stores besides that one, mom. Sorry!

Well, I've had the Lowepro 200 AW for a while now and had a chance to use it a few times.

What I dislike:

The front pocket is fixed. I thought it flipped out away from the bag, because it has cinch straps on it. But because it's fixed, the cinch straps really aren't necessary.

The camera storage portion is both huge and small at the same time. It takes up quite a bit of room in the bag, to be expected, but I have a hard time fitting the camera in there with the 18-55 kit lens attached, with the 35mm prime and 55-200 zoom in there at the same time. It's a tight fit, and really strains the zippers. I don't really WANT to relocate one of the lenses, but I may be forced to.

The tripod carrier on the side is disappointing. If you have a larger tripod, it feels like it's going to tear the thing apart. So, better hope you have a smaller, or at least a lighter, tripod.

Top storage compartment is nice and big. I could easily fit a pair of pants and a down jacket in there with lots of room left over for my first aid kit. There is actually space in the bottom of the bag next to the camera compartment that will hold my rain poncho, and two bags of camera filters in it.

Easily adjustable, even on the go. You can really cinch this thing down on your back and hips and it won't move around AT ALL. And because the straps are on your hips, it's comfortable enough to wear for hours.

I like the straps on the very bottom of the bag, as those are holding my tripod now, and I'm going to use the side tripod strap to carry my monopod.

The weight distribution is very even, even though the camera gear is mostly on the left side. It didn't feel heavier over there than on the right.

I think it's going to be exactly what I wanted for my WDW trip. It's not as compact of a total package as I'd like, but with all the camera stuff and padding required there, I am just going to have to reset my expectations. There's just not realistically going to be any backpack big enough to carry everything I WANT to carry and come in a small compact package.

Recently picked up the Lowe Pro Slingshot. Some really great features especially for Park Touring. Three different sizes so I'm sure you'd find thing to meet your needs. I know I've tried a few and in the balance of all things this ones been great.

http://www.lowepro.com/slingshot

Recently picked up the Lowe Pro Slingshot. Some really great features especially for Park Touring. Three different sizes so I'm sure you'd find thing to meet your needs. I know I've tried a few and in the balance of all things this ones been great.

http://www.lowepro.com/slingshot

Quick update after using it for a week at the parks:

I really, really, REALLY like this bag.

It does have enough room for two lenses and an attached 35mm prime on the camera in the bag, but it takes some maneuvering to get it in there. I generally just took the prime and one zoom lens with me for convenience sake, but it would have carried both.

This bag is SUPER expansive. At one point I had the following in the bag:

Rain jacket
Set of neutral density filters in a carrying case
Set of random filters in another carrying case
Extra battery
Hand sanitizer
Fire starter (hey, you never know when a zombie apocalypse might break out and you need to make fire)
Camera and the two lenses
Monopod (strapped to side)
Tripod (strapped to the bottom)
Two extra shirts
Extra pair of pants
Down jacket
Two schoolbreads in a "to-go" container (took up a LOT of space)
First aid kit
Backup battery pack and cords
13" laptop in the water bladder compartment
Camera and lenses
Two packs of kleenex
Random assortment of disposable toothbrushes (Wisps)
a Friction Stick
pair of gloves
hat
Two ace bandages

And probably some other stuff I'm forgetting

It holds A LOT and I probably could have fit a few more things in there.

It never really felt heavy once it was on, and I didn't even use the hip straps, although I probably should have, just to be safe. Very comfortable for all-day use.

The built-in rain sleeve came in super handy when it began to rain, and it's attached to the bag so that you can't lose it. But it's big enough to cover the bag, even when it's filled to the brim. LOVE.

The camera compartment is easy to get to if you drop the right shoulder strap. When it hangs on your left shoulder, the compartment is just right there to unzip and grab the camera. Takes no time at all. The only complaint I have, which is super minor, is that the zipper on the camera compartment can get a little stuck at the top sometimes, and it can take a couple of extra seconds to get it to close properly. But, it never came undone for any reason.

This is pretty much now my favorite bag ever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter