Yo Ho Yo Ho a Tipsy Life for Me - A November '17 Dining Adventure - Complete 5/27

The next morning Jason was up at 3am AGAIN for the Wine & Dine 10K. I'll get up that early for Disney, but no way I'd get up that early to run. Who am I kidding, no chance I'd run regardless of the hour

Ha. You and me both. I did tell my cousin who lives in California that I would do a Disney 5k with her, and just meander through and visit with some characters, meeting her at the end, but I guess Disney called my bluff!

She ended up doing this just about every day and proclaiming she loved pole dancing. We got more than a few looks from other parents. #SoProud

Ahh, the innocent things kids say sometimes!

On the way in I had to finally break it to her that her beloved Great Movie ride was no more.
img_4357-jpg.289169

I don't blame her. Hopefully the new ride will be good, but I'll miss the Great Movie Ride!

Way to go Jason for waking up so early and doing all those runs. I'm with you, I'd never wake up that early to run, but probably wouldn't run at a normal hour either.

Your food at Sci Fi looks great. Those onion rings have me drooling. I think the restaurant is a fun set up with the cars and the movie reel. They have some really good milk shakes. It's been a few years since I've been there, but I've been wanting to go back.

Casey and pole dancing - seriously - my spirit animal. Plus, shopping!!!! How did your husband like the runs? I'm doing the Princess half this year and scared to death!

img_4336-jpg.287854

You'll note the random stuffed animal Casey had. At this point she had been up for 12 hours and was getting a little punchy. So what better than a bribe, I mean gift, to keep a girl going.
You got to love when they get punchy. I say that all the time about the girls. She was quiet the trooper for the day.

Casey and I decided to share the St. Louis Style Full Slab of Pork Ribs with Chili-Chipotle Barbecue Sauce, Mashed Yukon Potatoes, Onion Rings, and Corn on the Cob
img_0076-jpg.287861
I don't know how you guys always agree on a meal! If I had to share with the girls I would always end up losing. Those ribs do look good. We always go with the skillet. Morgan actually does share with us.

After seeing other people asking for ketchup she couldn't resist asking herself. And you could say her wish was granted, 20 fold!
img_0074-jpg.287863
This pic is Awsome! Morgan and Gwen didn't really know what to make of the antics here.

We spent the rest of the evening unpacking and enjoying our Wilderness Lodge snacks. Casey and Jason each got a smore's cupcake.
img_4333-jpg.287867
Aren't they so cute!

Thanks Tracy!!! She is certainly quite the little ham. No idea which side of the family she gets that from :confused3
img_4831-jpg.288809
Too funny!

To amuse herself at the bus stop, Casey decided some pole dancing was in order.
img_4342-jpg.289165
:rotfl2:Parent of the year!

img_4357-jpg.289169

Clearly she was not happy.
Poor thing. She must have been so sad... Also, as a side note, Gwen pulls up her leggin's like Casey has in this pic. Even in 20 degree weather... I think she thinks it's a new fashion style...

I got this for Casey before the trip and it was a huge hit. It even kept my little shopaholic out of a few stores.
img_4367-jpg.289175
It really does distract them, doesn't it!

We had a bit of a wait for a bus, but Donald and Daisy kept Casey company.
img_4369-jpg.289177
Too funny.

Casey's Darth Vader dress is the best...do they make adult sizes? Or larger kids sizes? I ain't proud; I'll wear children's clothing.

Aaarrgghh, Cap'n. Sorry, I been tarryin' too long down in the hold with the bilge. (AKA - work!)

Oh, I just love Casey's Darth Vader top, dress, skirt, and as for Li'l Orange Bird ... so cute! I'm sure he could fly!

Each day of your trip seems to pack in even more fun and to see WDW through Casey's eyes is just gorgeous.

You've also made me very hungry with those pics of ribs and onion rings and the like! I can't wait for your next report!

The next morning Jason was up at 3am AGAIN for the Wine & Dine 10K. I'll get up that early for Disney, but no way I'd get up that early to run. Who am I kidding, no chance I'd run regardless of the hour :-) Since he had the half marathon coming up the next day he took this race easy and stopped to enjoy some of the characters.

He was obviously in a way better corral than me and is most assuredly much faster, even when taking it easy, because by the time I saw those characters, the lines were crazy long so we didn't stop :sad1: I love the Oswald pic!

To amuse herself at the bus stop, Casey decided some pole dancing was in order.

Oh, My!

She ended up doing this just about every day and proclaiming she loved pole dancing. We got more than a few looks from other parents. #SoProud

:rotfl:

Clearly she was not happy.

Join the club, Casey :sad2:

hung out with a couple of mice....

Lovely pics :-)

We were seated quickly and it wasn't long before we got both 6 year old and adult buzz-worth items.

Hey, no drinking and driving! Oh, wait, I think Casey's driving…carry on :P

Oh my gosh, how funny!

Casey also wanted a salad, which we got from the kids menu, and it apparently so good it elicited this reaction.

Cute!

We headed out from there - since well you can now do the park in under 2 hours :P

Sad, but true :sad:

Better late than never ? Well , that is what I am going with . Looking forward to another entertaining dining/ boozing report.

Love the intro matey.

It was vacation after all and when you've been up for 9 hours before noon, beer is a must.
always a must regardless of how long you've been up.

At this point I was texting with Su-Lynn aka @chunkymonkey who was also in MK. Thankfully we were able to meet up for a quick hello before their mine train FP.
YAY Su-Lynn

I think it was Moosehead - which was the only beer they had on draft - but to could have been alcoholic Moosepee at this point and I would have drank it.
:rotfl2:

This is so cute and I love Casey's ears

Who am I kidding, no chance I'd run regardless of the hour :-)
Just another reason #whywe'refriends

, Casey decided some pole dancing was in order.
I can't even say anything here because she's SIX!!!!

On the way in I had to finally break it to her that her beloved Great Movie ride was no more.
Had to happen sooner or later :(

After lunch we had a FP for Casey to ride Rock N Roller Coaster for the first time, but she chickened out so we were able to swap it out for Toy Story instead.
That's awesome you were able to switch it out for TSMM, and this way she still has something to look forward to when she's ready to ride :)

We also wandered a bit checking out the studios Christmas decorations
I cannot believe when we were there we missed the tree! I swear it wasn't there the last 2 years, it was in the FRONT of the park - I have pictures to prove it!

Ricky would have flipped out if they came this close lol, he has a slight FOB when they get up in his s*^t

We did Sci Fi in August for the second time but the first was quite a few years ago so the boys didn't remember much. I LOVE the movies and our food was decent. Not somewhere I'd choose to go each trip but given the choices in HS I understand why one would go often.

Holy cow! Jason's committed! We're doing one early morning for the 5K and that's it...and I'm dreading that wake up call...
I'm not sure if he is committed or if he should be committed. I'm thinking the latter, but only time will tell :-)

Oh my goodness! What a ham!! She's fabulous. :lovestruc
Thanks! She is most definitely her fathers daughter

Those pressed penny books are so neat. And I loooove Casey's ears!
Yeah, she had a ton of fun with the penny book. And it was MUCH cheaper than supporting her spending habits. s

Following along!!! This is SUCH a fun DR, I love the way you write!
Thanks so much! Glad to have you along

Great updates, as always! The onion rings look absolutely amazing. I think I suddenly need some. Funny that Casey wanted a side salad. I guess sometimes your body prevails over your brain? :confused3 I would never think to order the burger Jason got, but it sounds super tasty. Funny that you mention getting tired of eating at Sci Fi... it's been a while since we spent enough time in DHS... I mean MGM... to need a meal while we were there. Especially with such good stuff nearby outside the park! My guess on the favorite non-signature... hmm :scratchin The Wave?
Thanks Melinda! Casey would take a salad over just about anything most days. And get this, she likes it with just olive oil and salt. Sometimes I wonder where she came from.

Next trip we'll definitely need to explore some of the restaurants outside of MGM instead of inside. Love SciFi but its a bit old at this point.

And you would be incorrect on the restaurant :P

Oh and I love your photo of the tree in the middle of Echo Lake. We are stopping by WDW for 2 nights on the way to R's mom's house later this week... hope we get some decent blue sky days so I can immitate your photo!
Hope you all had a great time!

Wow those onion rings look great. I prefer onion rings over fries unless I am getting fish & chips . We haven't been to Sci Fi yet as Mama Melrose is always the 1st choice for a DHS lunch . Between the onion rings and the Bear Republic Racer 5 ( ate at their California brewpub a few years ago:thumbsup2) SciFi may get a shot . We liked the food at 50s but always seem to wait a while even when our ADRS are within 30 minutes of openning.
I am impressed with the cutting down of the Christmas tree. When our local fire company started home tree delivery that sealed the deal for us.
We've never done Mama Melrose, but I hear lots of good things about it. As an Italian married to a chef who formerlly owned an Italian restaurant, you could say I'm a bit picky :-)

Too funny, we ate at Bear Republic a few years ago too. I don't recall the food, but I know Jason was in heaven with the food.

Love Jason's 'costume'. His level of costume is about the same as what I would do. Normal running clothes but still together!
I think if less running were involved Jason probably would do a costume, but 13 miles in a tutu is too much even for him :P

OMG I love Casey's dress (skirt?) I NEED ONE!!!
It's a dress that is too short for her now so we use it as a shirt. I got it for her from etsy a few years ago and it even glows in the dark!

I’m with you... no running at any hour! Although I am really tempted to do a Star Wars race. Pole dancing. :rotfl2::rotfl: :lmao: I can imagine the looks.
Yep we got some quality parenting going on here

It’s been a few years since I tried Sci Fi but I am a sucker for a burger and fries or onion rings. I wish you hadn’t had such a bad experience at Brown Derby - I really like it although hate they got rid of the lunch menu. Other than that, I have high hopes for the Star Wars cantina or something in that land.
I'd be willing to give Brown Derby another go, but I don't think I could ever convince Jason. Though I didn't realize they got rid of the lunch menu. I think our chances just went to nil

The Wave was also my first thought on a non-signature.
Buzz. Please try again

Love Sci-fi! We go almost every trip as well. The onion rings and burgers are what we usually always have. The place relaxes me for some reason and gets you out of the crazy small MGM for awhile! Casey is definitely a ham! Jason got to meet some awesome characters, maybe I should take up running, NOT! I’m guessing maybe Sanaa for dinner.
SciFi definitely does a good burger and you are so right its a great place to escape the construction, I mean parks :P

And on the dinner, we have a winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Yup. I'm guessing Sanaa, too, because it's sooooo good.
Ding, ding, ding!!!

I hope so too although we haven't been to Sci fi in awhile :scratchin
Sounds like a trip to SciFi is in order!

Love the pole dancing!!!!! I can just imagine the looks...Knowing me, I would have laughed and encouraged the situation...:tongue: Hell, I would've joined in!!!!
I could see you on the pole now :P

Ha. You and me both. I did tell my cousin who lives in California that I would do a Disney 5k with her, and just meander through and visit with some characters, meeting her at the end, but I guess Disney called my bluff!
Assume you were gonna do one of the Disneyland ones. I still think its odd they cancelled them all for the year. I can't even fathom the level of construction.

I don't blame her. Hopefully the new ride will be good, but I'll miss the Great Movie Ride!
I'm sure it will be, but TGMR will definitely be missed. With so few attractions in that park I'm not sure why they didn't just update the movie ride and build the new one too!

Way to go Jason for waking up so early and doing all those runs. I'm with you, I'd never wake up that early to run, but probably wouldn't run at a normal hour either.

Your food at Sci Fi looks great. Those onion rings have me drooling. I think the restaurant is a fun set up with the cars and the movie reel. They have some really good milk shakes. It's been a few years since I've been there, but I've been wanting to go back.
How about I just meet you at SciFi and we have onion rings and beer instead of running :P

Casey and pole dancing - seriously - my spirit animal. Plus, shopping!!!! How did your husband like the runs? I'm doing the Princess half this year and scared to death!
Casey is certainly something!

Jason loves the Disney races!!! They are of course pricey, but he likes to be able to run through the parks, He hasn't done the princess, but I'm sure he will one day just so he can run through MK (the other races don't go through there)

You got to love when they get punchy. I say that all the time about the girls. She was quiet the trooper for the day.
She was a tropper and doesn't get punchy often, but she most certainly was this day

I don't know how you guys always agree on a meal! If I had to share with the girls I would always end up losing. Those ribs do look good. We always go with the skillet. Morgan actually does share with us.
It's easy to agree when I don't give her a choice :-) Since she'll pretty much eat anything I generally just get what I want. She also eats like a bird most of the time, so I hate to spend money on food for her.

This pic is Awsome! Morgan and Gwen didn't really know what to make of the antics here.
Clearly Casey did :P

Poor thing. She must have been so sad... Also, as a side note, Gwen pulls up her leggin's like Casey has in this pic. Even in 20 degree weather... I think she thinks it's a new fashion style...
More fodder for their being separated at birth :-)

Casey's Darth Vader dress is the best...do they make adult sizes? Or larger kids sizes? I ain't proud; I'll wear children's clothing.
I got this on Etsy a few years ago, but my guess is they'd make it in an adult size. I don't recall who I ordered it from, but search for glow in the dark darth vadar dress and you'll likely find it

Aaarrgghh, Cap'n. Sorry, I been tarryin' too long down in the hold with the bilge. (AKA - work!)
Aaarrrrgh to ye matey! Me hates when the blige keeps ye away form piratin

Each day of your trip seems to pack in even more fun and to see WDW through Casey's eyes is just gorgeous.
Thanks. I love Disney, but she has brought it to a whole new level.

He was obviously in a way better corral than me and is most assuredly much faster, even when taking it easy, because by the time I saw those characters, the lines were crazy long so we didn't stop :sad1: I love the Oswald pic!
He said the lines weren't too long, so maybe the corral did make a difference. I think he was in either A or B.

Hey, no drinking and driving! Oh, wait, I think Casey's driving…carry on :P
Yes, because a 6 year old drinking and driving is better :-)

Better late than never ? Well , that is what I am going with . Looking forward to another entertaining dining/ boozing report.
:welcome:

:sail:Wow 8 pages in and I'm just finding your report. Now on to binge read it.
Nothing better than a good disney dining binge! Hope you enjoyed !

always a must regardless of how long you've been up.
:drinking1:drinking1:drinking1

This is so cute and I love Casey's ears
Thanks. I got her some Christmas ears for the trip and she loved them. They even lit up which put them over the top for her!

Just another reason #whywe'refriends
So many reasons :drinking1:drinking1:drinking1

That's awesome you were able to switch it out for TSMM, and this way she still has something to look forward to when she's ready to ride :)
I know she'd like RRC if we could just get her on it (same goes for your favorite ToT). I'm sure she'll try it one day, but its hard when she can't see what it looks like. I'm just ready now :-)

I cannot believe when we were there we missed the tree! I swear it wasn't there the last 2 years, it was in the FRONT of the park - I have pictures to prove it!
You know a massive tree in the middle of the lake is often hard to see :P

Jambo Means Bread

First off Happy New Year to everyone! I hope you all had a great New Years Eve and aren't moving quite as slowly as me today :drinking1May all of your 2018's bring lots of Disney!

Ok, now back to the FOOD.

When we last left off we'd spent the afternoon at MGM and headed back to the hotel for a break. After 2 early mornings and a 10K Jason elected to take a nap, while Casey and I cho
se a much more vacation appropriate activity.
IMG_4379.jpg
We even got into some of the poolside activities and Casey made a Mickey Tie Dye Pillowcase.
IMG_4382.jpg

We eventually made it back to the room and found out what Jason really meant when he said "nap"
IMG_4375.jpg
Yes ladies and gentleman, I'm a very lucky girl!

We eventually got ourselves cleaned up and headed to our favorite non-signature restaurant on property. Some of you guessed already, but for everyone else it was our beloved restaurant with the bread and dippy thingys (as Casey called it) aka Sanaa to everyone else. Casey felt it appropriate to dress for the occasion.
IMG_4389.jpg

After our only efficient bus service of the trip we were soon at Sanaa with some much needed drinks in hand.
IMG_4392.jpg
That's a Safari Amber for Jason

IMG_4394.jpg
The Witwyn Wine Flight for me which was a Chenin Blanc, Sav Blanc, and an unoaked chardonnay. I'm not usually a chardonnay fan, but liked this one best and had another glass with dinner.

And not wanting to be left out, Casey had some lemonade.
IMG_4393.jpg

Soon the whole reason we go to Sanaa, love Sanaa, and crave it eternally arrived: Bread Service!
IMG_4397.jpg
IMG_4396.jpg
As always this was amazing and pure bliss. We got just plain naan so we could concentrate on the flavors of the dips, which didn't disappoint. The tamarind chutney is my favorite, but calling anything a favorite in a sea of deliciousness is a bit of an oxymoron. Casey was even brave and tried all of the hot ones and enjoyed them so much she called the red sambal a "tasty dream"

Continued in next post....

Jambo Means Bread Part II

While munching down on our bread service someone all to eagerly reached for more bread and spilled most of one of my wines.
IMG_4398.jpg
Wine got all over the table and me, but rest assured the server brought me a new glass so all was right in my tipsy world.

We couldn't decide what we wanted to eat beyond the bread service so we just decided to share some appetizers instead of getting entrees.
IMG_4399.jpg
First up we have the Oxtail Umngqusho which is Cracked Hominy and Beans with Braised Oxtail. The "beans" in this were really black eyed peas which went well with the hominy. The oxtail was braised perfectly and tender, but it didn't have a ton of flavor. We ended up adding some of the red sambal from the bread service to the dish to kick it up a notch.

Next we also ordered the Shellfish Matapa which is
Roasted Shellfish in a spicy Coconut and Tomato Broth with Greens and Peanuts.
IMG_4400.jpg
Despite asking for this with no peanuts (I have an allergy) we got it with peanuts, but I was able to eat around them (they won't kill me just make me miserable for a
while). I know the sauce is a bit offputting in color, but it was delicious. It had a deep coconut flavor and a slight heat. The shrimp and scallops were cooked perfectly, but unfortunately Jason got a bad mussel so we elected to leave the rest of those in the bowl.

We also ordered the salad sampler, which they'd neglected to bring at first but did once we alerted our server. Forewarning by the time this got to our table I was a few glasses of wine in, so my pictures turned out as fuzzy as my mind.
IMG_4401.jpg
IMG_4402.jpg
The sampler comes with 3 salads: Chickpeas with Cucumber and Tomato, Watermelon, Cucumber and Fennel, & Nigerian Root Vegetable and Citrus. I enjoyed the watermelon salad the most as it was very refreshing and the fennel and mint added a great fragrance. The root salad is apparently a take on a popular street food and while good, the inclusion of chinese noodles and tortilla chips on top was a bit odd. I did enjoy the vinegary veggies though, which were beets, carrots, and kale. My least favorite was the chick peas, which I normally love, but these just tasted like macaroni salad.

Bellies full and tipsiness in full effect we left very satisfied. Trying the different appetizers was a fun departure from our usual potpie choices, but I think I still prefer the stews better. The bread service continues to be a thing of beauty and one of my all time favorite Disney dishes.

We were able to get back to Caribbean Beach easily thanks to a quick transfer at Animal Kingdom and were soon in bed watching our beloved Hokies lose. This has become a bit of a "tradition" for us as they seem to lose whenever we are in Disney. Must be some sort of cosmic curse. Never fear, Casey and I drowned our sorrows in the cake pop and carrot cake cookie we picked up earlier at MGM.
IMG_4403.jpg

IMG_4406.jpg

Up next, Best. Disney. Breakfast. Ever!

Last edited:
Happy New Year! I am finally getting caught up on the Dis after letting too much real life stuff interfere with my Dis time. We are getting Jack ready to do all his university applications and I am still wondering where the last 12 years went.

As we were starving we started with the Gold Rush Western Chips
Those were a huge hit with our gang when we ate at WCC in 2016. I loved the red quinoa cakes as well. So good!

Overall we had a great meal. Whispering Canyon has a fun and lively atmosphere and while the food didn't blow us away, the prices were definitely fair. I thought their menu was a bit limited, but I'm presuming thats because most folks are getting the unlimited skillet. This was unquestionably Casey's favorite meal of the trip, as she asked to go back several times. So I see a lot more of this in our future.
While my three don't love the antics anymore (too busy being cool teenagers, lol) I know my niece will LOVE it here when we are at Disney this summer.

From there we saw a cool new technology from a frog, bear, and a pig :confused3, buzzed thorough a galaxy far, far away, and hung out with a couple of mice....
Great pics of Casey with the main Mice!

This was a perfectly executed medium rare burger topped with a fried green tomato, pimento cheese, lettuce, and tomato. Jason LOVED this thing of beauty. The meat was perfectly cooked and was of the utmost quality and while fried green tomato wasn't too discernible, the creamy pimento cheese really put it over the top. I had some massive order envy.
I think Bill had that same burger when we were there last. I am definitely planning on Sci-Fi again next summer as I know Clare will love it!

We eventually got ourselves cleaned up and headed to our favorite non-signature restaurant on property. Some of you guessed already, but for everyone else it was our beloved restaurant with the bread and dippy thingys (as Casey called it) aka Sanaa to everyone else. Casey felt it appropriate to dress for the occasion.
Sanaa is the best!

The Witwyn Wine Flight for me which was a Chenin Blanc, Sav Blanc, and an unoaked chardonnay. I'm not usually a chardonnay fan, but liked this one best and had another glass with dinner.
I had the same wine flight on my first solo trip in 2016 and really enjoyed it. My fave was the Sauv Blanc. It's hard to find some of the South African wines here so I really enjoy having a chance to sample them at the AKL restaurants.

Soon the whole reason we go to Sanaa, love Sanaa, and crave it eternally arrived: Bread Service!
Literally the best thing ever!!

Happy New Year!!!
I LOVE Sanaa too! And I will be dining there on Friday (love that I could write that)! You have provided the wine flight and I will be trying-and confirmed that we should order the salad sampler. Of course the bread service is where. it's. at.

Casey's dresses are so adorable, quite the little fashionista.
Do you recall what time you caught a bus back to AK? I'm always worried about trying to time this too close to park closing. We're expecting to have to Uber back to PoP after our meal at 5:00.

Happy New Year! I hope yours was a good one!

Oh Sanaa... so yummy and that bread service. double yum!

I need to try the carrot cake sandwich next time. I know Morgan will love it.

How was the pool with the construction going on? I loved that pool. It was awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter