Yo Ho Yo Ho a Tipsy Life for Me - A November '17 Dining Adventure - Complete 5/27

That would be so awesome. We're both going in August. Just saying :D
When?! I will see what I can do!!! Looking like my intended Labor Day resort only stay is getting cancelled due to a friend of R's getting married that weekend in East Bumble, Massachusetts

Dying here. I just shared this with Jason and now I may forever be know as Pooper's mom. :-) 20 years from now when everyone is calling it the Pooper you'll have to attest that I am the mother of the originator
Oh, no doubt! You will get full credit

You and me both!!!!! She's totally the seatbelt police too. Last year her teacher called her the kindergarten cop!
oh, poor kid. At least she will be safe (like me!)

3 weeks!!!!!!!! I had no idea you were going again. Aren't you supposed to be getting married or something :confused3
Well yes, I am going down for a little bachelorette shindig :D and totally had to bring all my homies in on the majesty of Fart Smith's

Totally stealing Fart Smith's. Maybe that is how you'll become known in our house. Chez Fart Smith's creator.
There would be no higher honor :rotfl:

We really wanted to like Skippers , but just didn't... I think we need to try it again, but afraid to. Seriously, even our salad was bad... it was SO salty. It was almost comical how bad the whole meal was.

Homecoming is a new MUST DO for us. LOVED it. Literally have dreams about it. Im a little bummed to read that the donuts weren't fresh, hot and yummy. I feel like I want to try the thigh high biscuits.... but im not one to usually change how I order, lol!

Looking forward to your next update!

Donuts for Dinner

After our lunch Casey wanted to go to MGM but ultimately decided against it in favor of the Swiss Family Treehouse. We also got our jingle cruise on, hitchhiked with a few ghosts. and contributed some laughter to a couple of monsters before we headed out for the day. Our destination: Disney Springs

This was really Casey's first time seeing it and she was in shopping heaven. As some of you know I detest shopping, but somehow got a kiddo with the gene. Thankfully we were able to contain her to just World of Disney so the damage was minimal.

Eventually we made it to our dining destination: Homecoming (still refusing to drop that g Chef Art Smith). We ended up waiting about 20 minutes to be seated, but these two seemed to be able to amuse themselves.
View attachment 309382

We felt a bit odd as its rare that we go out to dinner with our park clothes on, but ended up not feeling too out of place. Of course some of this may have helped take the edge off.
View attachment 309381
That's the Moonshine Mash with Watermelon-infused moonshine, fresh watermelon, lime juice and simple syrup. With the moonshine I expected this to be way boozier than it was, but it had great watermelon flavor and went down way to quick.

Jason was also feeling the moonshine, but in a much different way.
View attachment 309384
He went for a moonshine flight and let our server pick his options. I don't recall what he got, but I did note he liked the 125 proof one best. It did come with some yummy spiced pecans that we all munched on. It also came with a pickle juice chaser :confused3I got nothing on that.

For an appetizer we all shared the Bunch of Puppies which are House-made hushpuppies served with pimento cheese and red jalapeño jelly.
View attachment 309386
The puppies by themselves were nothing special, but the red pepper jelly it was served with was ah-maz-ing!!!! Now I don't even like red peppers, but the sweet and spicy combo really put it over the top. The pimento cheese was good too, but our local grocery store makes a much creamier one that has spoiled me for all other pimentos to come.

For entrees, Jason mixed it up a little and ordered the thigh high chicken biscuits from the appetizer menu along with the kitchen plate, which is a sampling of your choice of sides. He went with kale & collards, sweet potatoes, and mac and cheese.
View attachment 309380
Jason and I had the chicken biscuits on a previous trip and again they did not disappoint. The biscuits are dense yet delicate and the perfect foil to the fried chicken thighs with hot honey on them. He also detected a piece of cream cheese in the biscuits, that he thinks is their "secret" ingredient. The sides were all good as well. Starting with my favorite the collard greens & kale had a slight sweetness to them, but also some good heat which offset the sweet. Speaking of sweet, the sweet potatoes tasted straight off a Thanksgiving Table. He also really liked the mac and cheese, but I found it too cheesey if that even is a thing. I tend to like a mixtures of cheeses in mine vice just cheddar.

Casey and I split the Fried Chicken and Donuts and let me just tell you the prospect of donuts for dinner had this toothless wonder like...
View attachment 309388

The chicken was two pieces of
fried chicken served with house-made sugar doughnuts and creamy mashed potatoes
View attachment 309390
First and foremost the chicken was fab-u-lous!!!!! The skin was insanely crispy and it was juicy throughout. I put tons of their homemade hot sauce on top and it really made it perfect. The mashed potatoes were also on point. I'm not normally a gravy fan, but their sausage gravy was phenomenal and went perfect with the country style potatoes. My disappointment though was the donut. I don't know why but I was expecting a hot, yeasty donut and what came out was of the cold, cake varietal. They did have a nice maple syrup to dip it in, but I would have much preferred their delicious biscuits. Casey however was in heaven!

While we had our entrees I enjoyed a nice Sauvignon Blanc and you can see Jason's Jai Alai in the back.
View attachment 309391
I'd like to think this was artsy, but it really was just tipsy coincidence :-)

We were too full for dessert, but got some to go for later. Overall we really like Homecoming. Despite living in a southern state, we're in the northern part of it so finding good southern food is a real treat for us. And Homecoming certainly does it well!

We just missed a bus back to CBR, but eventually we made it back to our pirates abode for the night. The next morning we broke into our dessert - Hummingbird Cake - for breakfast.
View attachment 309383
I clearly got this photo after a couple of forks had been in it :P This was a banana flavored cake with carrot cake like cream cheese frosting and it was glorious. Especially at 8am. #BreakfastofChampions

Up next, we head back to the Springs

Homecoming is on our short list for next trip. I do NOT live in the south and fried chicken is maybe my favorite food ever and I have it maybe once a year, even before surgery it was not something I indulged in. But we are doing this next time for sure. I would probably just do the regular fried chicken plate and I wonder if they'd sub the mac and cheese for my mac and cheese loving child... though I'd prefer the mashed potatoes. He says he likes them but then only picks at them, but with sausage gravy it might be a game changer. We have time to decide. For what it's worth yours is not the first or even second review I've seen say that about the donuts.

YUM YUM YUM. It's sadly a good thing that we don't have Homecoming at home, because that is all we would eat and it would probably not be very healthy :)

We've made 3 unplanned stops here... By that I mean no reservations, but it was already on our minds :p I love those chicken biscuits , I even eat the pickles and I am not a pickle eater. They did get rid of the cocktail I liked on our first visit though - just means I have to try more :drinking1 Not sure about that pickle juice chaser with the moonshine flight... :crazy2: The puppies look good and the jelly - I love pepper jellies. I would have expected different donuts with your chicken too, nice hot freshly fried donuts... I think next time I'm getting a kitchen plate though!

Just realized that I missed this last update!

This was really Casey's first time seeing it and she was in shopping heaven. As some of you know I detest shopping, but somehow got a kiddo with the gene.

Haha I love this!

It also came with a pickle juice chaser :confused3I got nothing on that.

:confused3

First and foremost the chicken was fab-u-lous!!!!! The skin was insanely crispy and it was juicy throughout. I put tons of their homemade hot sauce on top and it really made it perfect. The mashed potatoes were also on point. I'm not normally a gravy fan, but their sausage gravy was phenomenal and went perfect with the country style potatoes.

Yum!!

Your food at Homecomin[g] looked delicious!

My disappointment though was the donut. I don't know why but I was expecting a hot, yeasty donut and what came out was of the cold, cake varietal. They did have a nice maple syrup to dip it in, but I would have much preferred their delicious biscuits. Casey however was in heaven!

Hmmm seems a little disappointing.

I clearly got this photo after a couple of forks had been in it :P This was a banana flavored cake with carrot cake like cream cheese frosting and it was glorious. Especially at 8am. #BreakfastofChampions

Yum! I'd eat this for breakfast every day!

Mmm...I need to go back to Homecomin'! Looks like a great meal of southern greatness. His fried chicken is so good!
Don't you all have one of his restaurants close to you? Even if not, I'm guessing you have better access to Southern food than we do.

I love your love for the OG version of things. As it should be! ::yes::
Just call me the O-G of the D-I-S. I drive Jason crazy with my inability to change names of things. I still go to Price Club, not Costco, enjoy me some Boston Chicken, not Boston Market, and get my wrestling fix with the WWF. Just kidding on the last one but you get my drift :P

Funny how many coincidence are the result of tipsiness :rotfl:
Yep. Speaking of which I'm drinking and dis'ing in anticipation of a snow day tomorrow so look out world for the coincidences to come :-)

Lol St Paddy’s Day was great craic ( it can’t be just craic - it can be great/ good or not bad craic or the craic can be mighty lol). I’ll have you speaking like a native Irish woman in no time :rotfl:
Ok. Let me try again. St. Paddy's day was such a good craic it was a mighty craic and trust me cause I know a bad craic when I see one :-)

Hushpuppies sound like little balls of deliciousness so if I ever get the chance to taste them I will :thumbsup2
Little balls of deliciousness is the perfect description!
:wave:I came here to read your Cali Grill brunch review, and got sucked in by all the delish F&W photos. Yum! It also makes me more determined to complete my drink around the world challenge. Last time I attempted it Epcot won and I failed horribly and only made it to 5 countries. :sad2:
Hi there! Thanks for sticking around. I love sharing all of our eating and drinking adventures.

Epcot always wins for me too, so I've given up on drinking around the world and figure if I can at least get to 3 continents that is success :drinking1

So far this report has me putting Cali Grill brunch and Homecoming on our list for places to eat on our honeymoon trip. I think my fiance would love that moonshine flight!
So far I think your honeymoon is shaping up to be a pretty fabulous adventure. Congratulations!

This flight of drinks looks good. The pickle juice chaser sounds gross lol. I had pickles and many of my friends love this and try to get me to drink it. :crazy2:
I got nothing on that pickle juice. I like pickles and all but have no desire to a. drink it or b. have it with whiskey. Very odd indeed. :confused3

This looks like a feast.
It was! Jason definitely won the food ordering award.

This looks delicious. This cake alone makes me want to go to this restaurant.
It was so good and so worth a visit!

When?! I will see what I can do!!! Looking like my intended Labor Day resort only stay is getting cancelled due to a friend of R's getting married that weekend in East Bumble, Massachusetts
We'll be there the 18-26th and Ariane's dates don't align perfectly but they are pretty dang close.

oh, poor kid. At least she will be safe (like me!)
Safe yes, though I have a feeling the words narc may be in her future :rolleyes1

Well yes, I am going down for a little bachelorette shindig :D and totally had to bring all my homies in on the majesty of Fart Smith's
Fart Smith's and Bachelorette's? What more good a girl ask for :-)

We really wanted to like Skippers , but just didn't... I think we need to try it again, but afraid to. Seriously, even our salad was bad... it was SO salty. It was almost comical how bad the whole meal was.
Yikes that does not sound like a good experience at all. We've never had a salt issue there, but I know full well how one bad visit can really make you think twice about going back. Hollywood Brown Derby is our Skippers for sure!

Homecoming is a new MUST DO for us. LOVED it. Literally have dreams about it. Im a little bummed to read that the donuts weren't fresh, hot and yummy. I feel like I want to try the thigh high biscuits.... but im not one to usually change how I order, lol!
Now we're talking. Clearly good Southern food is where our worlds collide. Even if you don't try the thigh high biscuits, definitely try the regular biscuits if you haven't already. They put the donut to shame.

Homecoming is on our short list for next trip. I do NOT live in the south and fried chicken is maybe my favorite food ever and I have it maybe once a year, even before surgery it was not something I indulged in. But we are doing this next time for sure. I would probably just do the regular fried chicken plate and I wonder if they'd sub the mac and cheese for my mac and cheese loving child... though I'd prefer the mashed potatoes. He says he likes them but then only picks at them, but with sausage gravy it might be a game changer. We have time to decide. For what it's worth yours is not the first or even second review I've seen say that about the donuts.
Oh Lisa you would so be in fried chicken heaven! I don't know what Chez Fart Smith (as @pepperandchips has told me to call him) does to his chicken, but it is a thing of dreams.

I'd think they would be pretty liberal about switching out for the mac and cheese. Or even better just order a side of it so you have both mac and taters. I don't recall if it came with 2 or 3 pieces of chicken, but it was most definitely shareable.

YUM YUM YUM. It's sadly a good thing that we don't have Homecoming at home, because that is all we would eat and it would probably not be very healthy :)

We've made 3 unplanned stops here... By that I mean no reservations, but it was already on our minds :p I love those chicken biscuits , I even eat the pickles and I am not a pickle eater. They did get rid of the cocktail I liked on our first visit though - just means I have to try more :drinking1 Not sure about that pickle juice chaser with the moonshine flight... :crazy2: The puppies look good and the jelly - I love pepper jellies. I would have expected different donuts with your chicken too, nice hot freshly fried donuts... I think next time I'm getting a kitchen plate though!
3!!!!!!!! Now that is some serious Homecoming love :love: But their food is so good I think you could eat there every night of a Disney trip and find something new and delicious each time. Now your cholesterol may go up 100 points and you'll gain 15 lbs, but you'd enjoy it nonetheless :P

Your food at Homecomin[g] looked delicious!
It so was. I don't know what their glutten free options look like, but you should definitely check it out !

Yum! I'd eat this for breakfast every day!
And lunch, and dinner, and breakfast again :P

Kari, I so want to try Homecoming and we have canceled it twice now! Your review and others make it look so yummy, ahh one of these trips I will try it. I love Hush puppies and we just can’t get them anywhere up here. The fried chicken looks so good!

This is such a fun report. It’s taken me a few days but I am caught up. I also love boozy goodness and DH is a runner who loves boozy goodness. No joke, he does all the cooking in our house. Lots of similarities.

This trip to WDW, the first in nearly 6 years, will be just the hubby and I, no kids. Love them but they’ll live. Plus it’s our anniversary. :love:

I’m starting on your past reports as well.

Just call me the O-G of the D-I-S. I drive Jason crazy with my inability to change names of things. I still go to Price Club, not Costco, enjoy me some Boston Chicken, not Boston Market, and get my wrestling fix with the WWF. Just kidding on the last one but you get my drift :P
:rotfl2:

Kari, I so want to try Homecoming and we have canceled it twice now! Your review and others make it look so yummy, ahh one of these trips I will try it. I love Hush puppies and we just can’t get them anywhere up here. The fried chicken looks so good!
You should most definitely check it out! No chance you'd leave disappointed.

This is such a fun report. It’s taken me a few days but I am caught up. I also love boozy goodness and DH is a runner who loves boozy goodness. No joke, he does all the cooking in our house. Lots of similarities.

This trip to WDW, the first in nearly 6 years, will be just the hubby and I, no kids. Love them but they’ll live. Plus it’s our anniversary. :love:

I’m starting on your past reports as well.
Thanks so much for reading. It sounds like we'd get along quite well :-)

Happy Anniversary! Sounds like you all have a great trip planned. I love our kiddo, and she'd kill me if we went to Disney without her, but I do miss the days when just hubby and I would go. It definitely had a much more adult style :drinking1

Don't you all have one of his restaurants close to you? Even if not, I'm guessing you have better access to Southern food than we do.

Not anymore :( He's no longer in charge of it and it 'reopened' with a different chef. Not as good anymore!

There is a real lack of good southern food in Naples. I got great seafood, italian and steakhouses out the butt though!

Oh Lisa you would so be in fried chicken heaven! I don't know what Chez Fart Smith (as @pepperandchips has told me to call him) does to his chicken, but it is a thing of dreams.

I'd think they would be pretty liberal about switching out for the mac and cheese. Or even better just order a side of it so you have both mac and taters. I don't recall if it came with 2 or 3 pieces of chicken, but it was most definitely shareable.

I just told my kid about Chez Fart Smith, which may have been a mistake in retrospect because I'm pretty sure he will now say that loudly when we go there (he has a hard time modulating the volume of his voice sometimes, lol).

:banana:

I tracked down some photos and I think it comes with 3 but even 2 would be ok. I can't finish a whole one myself, especially not with a few bites of a side and all that breading. It looks like the biscuit version is 3, donut version is 2. Kid saw the donut version on the menu and I'm like "no, we're not doing that, one of my review friends says it's not worth it!" lol

I just told my kid about Chez Fart Smith, which may have been a mistake in retrospect because I'm pretty sure he will now say that loudly when we go there (he has a hard time modulating the volume of his voice sometimes, lol).
:rotfl: I snorted....

I tracked down some photos and I think it comes with 3 but even 2 would be ok. I can't finish a whole one myself, especially not with a few bites of a side and all that breading. It looks like the biscuit version is 3, donut version is 2. Kid saw the donut version on the menu and I'm like "no, we're not doing that, one of my review friends says it's not worth it!" lol
The fried chicken dinner (non-donut) is definitely enough for 2 grown adults, much less one with tiny tummy. Plus you know, kiddo's online friends CANNOT be wrong. Does he know about your online review friends?! :cool2::cool2::cool2: mom=cool

:rotfl: I snorted....

The fried chicken dinner (non-donut) is definitely enough for 2 grown adults, much less one with tiny tummy. Plus you know, kiddo's online friends CANNOT be wrong. Does he know about your online review friends?! :cool2::cool2::cool2: mom=cool

he is a little put out that I call him the picky kid since he's not that picky anymore, lol. He's all "mom! seriously! what picky kid likes filet mignon?!" I told him it's to help other parents of kids who are picky to be interested in the review and see what kind of options and modifications you can make and creative ways to order so that they can eat at restaurants they like with kids who are a bit on the picky side. That satisfied him.

I let him read whatever reviews of mine he is interested in reading and pick and choose stuff for him to see when he is curious about something, so he kind of knows. "these people love Disney food as much as we do!" I need to show him this review of homecomin' to convince him to stick with the non donut version. I don't even really like donuts (except fresh apple cider donuts) but he does.

Can't wait to get back to Homecomin. I'm going to be doing what Jason did with the chicken biscuit sliders and the mac and cheese. Yum!!!

Donuts for Dinner

After our lunch Casey wanted to go to MGM but ultimately decided against it in favor of the Swiss Family Treehouse. We also got our jingle cruise on, hitchhiked with a few ghosts. and contributed some laughter to a couple of monsters before we headed out for the day. Our destination: Disney Springs

This was really Casey's first time seeing it and she was in shopping heaven. As some of you know I detest shopping, but somehow got a kiddo with the gene. Thankfully we were able to contain her to just World of Disney so the damage was minimal.

Eventually we made it to our dining destination: Homecoming (still refusing to drop that g Chef Art Smith). We ended up waiting about 20 minutes to be seated, but these two seemed to be able to amuse themselves.
View attachment 309382

We felt a bit odd as its rare that we go out to dinner with our park clothes on, but ended up not feeling too out of place. Of course some of this may have helped take the edge off.
View attachment 309381
That's the Moonshine Mash with Watermelon-infused moonshine, fresh watermelon, lime juice and simple syrup. With the moonshine I expected this to be way boozier than it was, but it had great watermelon flavor and went down way to quick.

Jason was also feeling the moonshine, but in a much different way.
View attachment 309384
He went for a moonshine flight and let our server pick his options. I don't recall what he got, but I did note he liked the 125 proof one best. It did come with some yummy spiced pecans that we all munched on. It also came with a pickle juice chaser :confused3I got nothing on that.

For an appetizer we all shared the Bunch of Puppies which are House-made hushpuppies served with pimento cheese and red jalapeño jelly.
View attachment 309386
The puppies by themselves were nothing special, but the red pepper jelly it was served with was ah-maz-ing!!!! Now I don't even like red peppers, but the sweet and spicy combo really put it over the top. The pimento cheese was good too, but our local grocery store makes a much creamier one that has spoiled me for all other pimentos to come.

For entrees, Jason mixed it up a little and ordered the thigh high chicken biscuits from the appetizer menu along with the kitchen plate, which is a sampling of your choice of sides. He went with kale & collards, sweet potatoes, and mac and cheese.
View attachment 309380
Jason and I had the chicken biscuits on a previous trip and again they did not disappoint. The biscuits are dense yet delicate and the perfect foil to the fried chicken thighs with hot honey on them. He also detected a piece of cream cheese in the biscuits, that he thinks is their "secret" ingredient. The sides were all good as well. Starting with my favorite the collard greens & kale had a slight sweetness to them, but also some good heat which offset the sweet. Speaking of sweet, the sweet potatoes tasted straight off a Thanksgiving Table. He also really liked the mac and cheese, but I found it too cheesey if that even is a thing. I tend to like a mixtures of cheeses in mine vice just cheddar.

Casey and I split the Fried Chicken and Donuts and let me just tell you the prospect of donuts for dinner had this toothless wonder like...
View attachment 309388

The chicken was two pieces of
fried chicken served with house-made sugar doughnuts and creamy mashed potatoes
View attachment 309390
First and foremost the chicken was fab-u-lous!!!!! The skin was insanely crispy and it was juicy throughout. I put tons of their homemade hot sauce on top and it really made it perfect. The mashed potatoes were also on point. I'm not normally a gravy fan, but their sausage gravy was phenomenal and went perfect with the country style potatoes. My disappointment though was the donut. I don't know why but I was expecting a hot, yeasty donut and what came out was of the cold, cake varietal. They did have a nice maple syrup to dip it in, but I would have much preferred their delicious biscuits. Casey however was in heaven!

While we had our entrees I enjoyed a nice Sauvignon Blanc and you can see Jason's Jai Alai in the back.
View attachment 309391

We were too full for dessert, but got some to go for later. Overall we really like Homecoming. Despite living in a southern state, we're in the northern part of it so finding good southern food is a real treat for us. And Homecoming certainly does it well!

We just missed a bus back to CBR, but eventually we made it back to our pirates abode for the night. The next morning we broke into our dessert - Hummingbird Cake - for breakfast.
View attachment 309383

Up next, we head back to the Springs

Hey Miss Kari! Glad to see your Homecomin’ (g) review. I am a good southern girl and it reminds me a lot of Whiskey Cake and Prohibition Chicken in the Dallas area. If you ever make it here make it to one of those and thank me later!

Pretty sure that you’re right about the biscuits and cream cheese could be a secret ingredient in everything i eat and I would be happy. You’re a brave woman with the moonshine. Just a bit of moonshine makes my lips go numb and hen I am speaking in cursive a lot like your tipsy notes!

When you said fried chicken and donuts I must admit I quivered a little! Oh Lordy but sad the donut disappointed. Thank goodness the chicken carried it through.

And I might dream about Chicken Biscuits and warm honey - mmmm a dream is a wish my tummy makes!

Oh my gosh, I just love that Homecomin'…I am drooling just looking at your pictures, and can't wait to go back! We don't get that kind of Southern food anywhere here in CT :sad2:

img_4584-jpg.309388

:rotfl:

img_4592-jpg.309391

It looks like you staged that! Perfect :goodvibes

img_4597-jpg.309383

In my opinion, THAT is the best dessert on property! I'll be seeing you in a couple weeks, Hummingbird Cake ::yes::

Sorry the donuts disappointed. I had the same dish & my donuts were also the cake type but were warm. However I like cake donuts ( who am I kidding I just like donuts :thumbsup2). The watermelon moonshine drink looks so good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter