YOMD Canadians question???

freepixie

<font color=deeppink>Tanoshi<br><font color=green>
Sorry if this has been asked before, but this really confused me this trip...

One day we were stuck in our room due to large thunderstorms, I was reading all the little pamphlets they give you at check-in and reading the thing about YOMD.

Then I was reading the fine print about eligibility and odds of winning... then I read the last line:

"Prize winners from Canada must answer a mathematical skills testing question to be eligible for a prize"

This makes no sense!!!!! Don't you find it a bit discriminatory against Canadians??? And when they are passing out things like ears, lanyards, dream fastpasses, etc. they have no way of knowing who is Canadian or not!

Does anyone know anything about this?? :confused3 It really kind of bothers me!

I first heard about this last year and when I first read it I thought it was a joke.

But someone on the Disboards explained to me that it is a Canadian law and it has to do with gambling being illegal. Answering a question to win the prize gets around the gambling aspect of winning the prize.

I believe the mathmatical question is extremely hard - like "what is 2+2?" It is to get around Canadian laws.

Thank you so much for explaining - now it makes sense! It was just so baffling to me and my family as to why! When I first read it I really did laugh b/c I thought it was a joke or misprint!!

We won ears in March and no one asked us anything, let alone where we were from. Maybe they'll ask you to do a skill testing question for a big prize, when they realize you are canadian.

If we win even mc d's prizes we have to answer a math ?. I just figuare it was the norm! I highly doubt they question every one who wins. Us poor Canadians better know our math:rotfl2:

I believe the mathmatical question is extremely hard - like "what is 2+2?" It is to get around Canadian laws.

In defense of the questions, it's usually something slightly trickier like 4x(10-3)+6 or something like that. I wish they were like 2+2 though! Make it a lot easier on me when I win free stuff that I want to redeem first thing in the AM ;)

The brackets are to confuse the kids so that only adults will win prizes:)

The math question is only used if the monetary value of the prize is over $500. There is no tax responsibility for a pair of ears, but there is for a cruise etc.

If we win even mc d's prizes we have to answer a math ?. I just figuare it was the norm! I highly doubt they question every one who wins. Us poor Canadians better know our math:rotfl2:

It's probably a ploy by the government to convince us that the EQAO math tests are a good thing! ;)

If we are suppost to answer a math question when we win a prize, how come I had to answer it at McDonalds when I was filling out a ballot to win a signed Toronto Maple Leafs jersery that was signed by Mats Sundin?

The math question is only used if the monetary value of the prize is over $500. There is no tax responsibility for a pair of ears, but there is for a cruise etc.

We won ears a week or so ago, they called and asked a skill testing question, we had to call back within 24 hours or we would not get our prize. I don't think you have to answer a question if you AT disney but if you win through the mail you do...

I don't think you have to answer a question if you AT disney
Last August at Hollywood Studios just before everyone got in the car for the Backlot Tour we all won Dream Fast Passes. They never asked where anyone was from so if your a Canadian and win at the parks no question is required.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter