If you focus on what you left behind, you will never be able to see what lies ahead

Yay! So glad you’re back (like I don’t talk to you multiple days a week, anyhow! Lol)
No doubt in my mind you will tackle this goal! Your drive and determination is so admirable!

Yesterday I ran my 10th half marathon. While I was out there I decided it was time to resurrect this training journal so I could chronicle my new journey.

Over a month ago I got an email from RnR saying their 2018 Vegas race was on sale for $99. I ran the half marathon in 2016 and had so much fun. While I was at the finish line I noticed that the full runners were getting jackets and I immediately wanted one. So I swore to myself I would be back. The only problem was the RnR Vegas full has a time limit of 5 hours and my marathon PR is 6:28:36 :scared1: so I put that dream on the back burner and made other running goals. When I saw that email I decided now is the time to see that dream realized. I am giving myself one year to get fast enough to finish that marathon.

Now I have made huge improves in my times so I am not going from a 6:28 to sub 5. My latest half PR is equivalent to a 5:27 according to Mcmillian, but Disney may tell you something different :rotfl:

Hope you guys enjoy following along!
So glad to see you resurrected this journal. It is fun and inspiring to follow along.

With the way you keep hitting new PRs I have no doubt that you will achieve this new goal.

The Ameris Bank Half Marathon

ameris.jpg

It all started as a training run. I am currently in training for Dopey 2018 and was down to my last long run. My 12 mile run was fine but boring so I decided to shake things up for my 13 miler with a race.

That morning I got up at 5 and drove myself to the race start. In the cold dark car I got to thinking about my POT that Disney said wasn't good enough for a POT corral. And the fact that people that just selected 5:30 were ahead of me. I was coming to the realization that it was more of a pride thing because I am not scared of getting swept anymore. But I still needed to prove to myself that I am good enough for a better corral, so I decided I would in fact go for a PR.

I parked in the satellite lot and hopped on the bus to the starting line. When I walked off the bus I just saw a sea of people. I had no idea this race was that big. I hate warming up in front of people so I went off into a neighborhood to do a mile. I felt good and strong that morning. After using the restroom I made my way to the start line. I sent a quick text to Mike about where I was parked since he was going to bring the kids up for my finish. The next thing I know 3,2,1 and it's time to go. Now for Superheros I had a strategy of starting at a pace and every mile I would speed up by 5 secs and that worked well so I quickly decided to follow that same plan.

The first mile was pretty crowded because the 5k, Half and Full all started together. It was probably a good thing because it helped me to hold back. In no time I came up on Mile 1- 12:25, on track with where I wanted to be. The course made a uturn after that and we headed back towards the start. I decided it was a good time to put in my headphones to give myself some distraction. The race was mainly on a major road in Jacksonville that looks pretty similar to my everyday running routes so I made sure to have plenty of podcasts to choose from. This is one reason I don't like to do local races I am always afraid it will be painfully boring.

I passed the mile 2 marker and my watched beeped 12:17. I was aiming for 12:20 so pretty close. However, I kept thinking my legs were a little heavy. I was not sure I was going to be in the 11s at the end of this race. I put the bad thoughts out of my mind and kept going.

At mile 3 the 5k started to pull away and the course thinned out significantly. My watched beeped again 12:11. Still doing well. At mile 4 my watch told me 12:14. Oh no I was slowing down and needed to watch my time closer. I also pulled out my Clif Bloks and took a few. Strawberry, yuck :crazy2: remind me never to get that flavor again. Mile 5, the course turned into a neighborhood and the time was 12:04. I'm back on track. As we wind through the neighborhoods I force myself to look around and not get so focused on my time that I hate life. We were running next to some beautiful houses on the St. John's river.

Mile 6 12:01, ok I think I need to hold this time for a few miles. I don't want to burn out too soon. Mile 7- 12:01 perfect! At the beginning of the race we were told that at mile 8 the full and the half would split but the course turned and we were still together. Another runner looked at me and asked which way the half went. I said I wasn't sure so I started to panic a little. There was no way I was running a Full that day!! Mile 8's time 11:58 getting a touch faster but still pretty good.

A 1/4 mile up there were huge signs directing the runners to their correct course. Thank God!! Mile 9 came and went 11:59. Then mile 10- 11:51. Ok now is the time to pick up the pace. After 10 I was back on the main road and heading back towards the finish. I texted DH to tell him where I was and to look for me since he had to drive along the course to get to the finish. I saw them pass me right after mile 11. That mile time ended up at 11:39, now we are talking!

At 11.5 we looped into a small neighborhood and I could just feel myself gaining speed with every step. At that point I texted DH to tell him where I was. I did some quick math and said about 17 minutes to go. I did a double take in my head. That would put me finishing at 2:35. I just PR'd at Superheros with a 2:39 so how could this be possible!? Ok don't get too cocky, Mile 12 11:06!! DH texted back they were on the corner as you turned into finish. I just kept pushing myself faster and faster. I thought back to the first couple miles where I was starting to doubt myself and was so proud for not limiting myself so early in the race. I saw my family and gave a wave as I turned to head into the high school track that was the finish.

It never falls to happen, when I finish on a track or any race that loops around at the end, I am like can .1 miles really be that long!!! Mile 13- 10:38. I can't go any faster!! Then I notice this girl I was getting ready to pass look back at me like I don't think so and speed up. Not today!! I all out sprinted for the finish line passing her as I go. 2:35:40. Taking 4 minutes off my PR a month ago!!

I still cannot believe I took that much time off!! I think a lot has to do with having a solid race strategy. I am actually starting to enjoy the distance :)

:woohoo:

Keep putting in the hard work and all those dreams will come true! Got big plans for the Spring! :D
Beyond excited for this!!

Yay! So glad you’re back (like I don’t talk to you multiple days a week, anyhow! Lol)
No doubt in my mind you will tackle this goal! Your drive and determination is so admirable!
So glad to see you resurrected this journal. It is fun and inspiring to follow along.

With the way you keep hitting new PRs I have no doubt that you will achieve this new goal.
Thank you!! You ladies are an inspiration to me too :lovestruc

She's back!
and better than ever!

Yay you are back!! I’m also hoping for a sub-5 marathon in Chicago next year. Can’t wait to read along again.

Woohoo!! Looks like 2018 is going to be year of the sub 5hr marathon ::yes::

Congratulations! I'm glad you are back to posting. I've always found your journal inspirational and I'll be following along on your new journey!

Thanks guys for all the congrats!! It feels good to come back to such a warm reception.

Yesterday was an interesting day. I took the day off from running because my legs still felt tired. Our refrigerator decided to die so we had to scramble to get a new one. It was also DS11’s birthday and I made him this cake

43A90B46-5F24-42BD-BC8D-560827BD12DF.jpeg
We saw the new movie Saturday night and he just had to have a tie fighter cake.

Hope everyone is having a terrific Tuesday!!

OK now that Christmas is out of the way it is time to focus on
Dopey!!!

giphy.gif

Last year for my first marathon I put together a little game called marathon bingo to not only help me get through my first marathon but to also help me enjoy it. It worked so well that I have decided to do it again this year and I need your help. I need 25 things to complete the card. Here was last year's card

bingo.JPG

I'll probably keep a couple and modify some but would like most of them to be different. So what are your suggestions??​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter