You opinion - PBH worth $30/nt more than RPR for family of 5?

peacefrogdog

DIS Veteran
Planning on a one night stay at either PBH or RPR before our DVC stay. Will likely get an AP to get the AP rate. For a family of 5 (3 kids will be aged 7, 5 and 5), do you think PBH (and its larger room) will be worth the additional $30 compared to the AP rate for RPR?

We would be arriving around 6 pm the night before, so not able to do any parks that night, but would likely do USF the next morning before checking out (we have late check out as Loews First blue members). We would probably take the water taxi regardless so walking distance would not be a huge factor.

For that short period of time, I would just take whatever is cheapest.

Also, don't buy an AP until you know if it is going to actually save you money. Call and ask for rates. Make sure you ask for the CAA rate as it is often very good.

beware doing U & FOTL perc before visiting WDW:laughing:makes the lines all the longer

im never satisfied just doing 1 night @ U, if u can do 2 it's so much more relaxing:goodvibes. If just one night i'd suggest u pack up & vacate the room, then visit the parks to avoid any rushing around. late checkout isn't guaranteed/subject to availability as I understand it (thought u had to call the desk that am:confused:im sure somebody will know here).

that said, PBH is really a lovely resort:love:, enjoy ur trip!

Thanks.
The time period will be the week before Thanksgiving, so I'm not anticipating it being that busy. Even if they don't allow late checkout, we'll probably leave our bags at bell services before going to the parks.

The AP rate for PBH is $194, regular price is $304 and CAA/AAA rate is $258. That alone isn't worth the AP but we're tentatively returning for a Aug 2010 trip where we would spend more days at USO.

Thanks.
The time period will be the week before Thanksgiving, so I'm not anticipating it being that busy. Even if they don't allow late checkout, we'll probably leave our bags at bell services before going to the parks.

The AP rate for PBH is $194, regular price is $304 and CAA/AAA rate is $258. That alone isn't worth the AP but we're tentatively returning for a Aug 2010 trip where we would spend more days at USO.

nothing like an AP in hand to spur a return trip:goodvibes

imo, PBH has a very secure garage, if we have a trunk in lieu of SUV; we typically just take an overnight bag (with any valuables/electronics, etc.) into the resort and leave the bulk behind. Probably slightly risky, but we haven't had any problems.

for some reason i always thought the week before Thanksgiving was busy (with actual holiday moreso) vs the week after being slow (based upon what i've seen on unoffical guide site:confused:) regardless..have a great trip!

RPR may have smaller rooms, but it has a great pool for kids your kids ages.

We are a family of five and managed quite nicely at RPR for 5 nights. :thumbsup2

I have stayed at both and love both. However, if you can get that cheap of a rate on the Portifino, I would have to say go for that. The rooms are a little nicer IMO and bigger. Also, see if you can get a balcony room, these are the best rooms on the property out of all of the hotels (not counting the suites), and the Port is the only hotel on site with balconies.

They are both great and both have their own seperate styles, but for only $30, I'd say do it. The RP is very cool, very nice, love the tropical theme, but the Port is just over the top in luxery and theming. Plus the pool at the RP is great, but I actually like the Port pool better.

I also agree with the other poster, I too think you would have a much better time if you did at least 2 nights, can't imagine doing only 1 and being rushed, but if that's all you can do that's all you can do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter