Your advice would be appreciated !

Tillybud

DIS Veteran
Ok, apologies in advance but I feel this may be the first of many questions for WDW experts ;)

We're looking at booking a trip to WDW in 2010 staying on site. I've done a couple of price comparisons, originally we looked at August but for our first trip I'm not sure I could cope with the heat, etc.

So I'm now really torn between anytime in October or the first two weeks in December.

I love all things to do with halloween and all things to do with xmas so I can't really make a decision based on that, anyhow, to cut a long question short what are your thoughts ?

October is about 700pounds (apologies but my pound sign has stopped working ?!!) more expensive but that includes the foc dining plan for the three of us. I'm not quite sure about flight prices, I've tried to do a bit of a guestimation based on flight prices this year, but what do you reckon ? is the dining plan worth that bit more and is it convenient to have ? Has anyone being in either October of December ? I'm interested in queues, weather, etc. I have read lots of trip reports and my head hurts, it's so full of questions :headache:

thank you :goodvibes

we went on the 28th nov a few years back and it was great, never been in oct before and doing the dining plan for the first time this aug/sept

We do the first night of the halloween party in disney but i havent been to one at universal as we have gone by the time they start

the christmas decorations are great to see though

The dining plan is worth it if you are going to be staying and eating onsite the whole time. If you are going to have a car and plan on exploring it is cheaper eating offsite.

We stay onsite and tried the DDP free in 2007 and have been with it again (Paid for) in 08 and this year tried the new quick service plan. We love the dining plans as it is so easy. I like not worrying about the money side too. In the past we have been offsite to eat but I like just being able to eat in the parks. The extra $$ it costs us is worth it to us for the travel time saved.

Which resort are you looking at staying in? If it is a moderate you will get the quick service plan free or deluxe you will get the basic dining plan.

The weather will be warmer in October than December. While the winter months can be warm the weather can be changable. And the evenings/early mornings will be chilly. October's weather is very nice :goodvibes

We came in 31st Oct 2007 and left on 10th Nov. The weather was ok, a little chilly in the evening and morning but lovely during the day. (considering it was warmer than today in the UK and I was in shorts and tshirt today) There had been a hurricane just before we arrived which lowered the temp by a degree or two and we went out to Vero beach for a few days and the water was too rough and cold to go near.

However.... having experienced Halloween albeit on the day of arrival, while at Vero beach Tinkerbell came overnight as the cast members told our daughter and sprinkled her pixie dust and overnight the lobby and public areas were transformed into Christmas!

So if you time it right some time around end of Oct and beginning of Nov you may get to experience both. I don't know when WDW resort hotels start decorating, might be worth checking the blog or podcast as I know they have talked about when the chocolate carousel was put out last year.

thank you for your advice so far :goodvibes we are probably looking at the Port Orleans Resort, not sure about French Quarter or Riverside

We just booked for Riverside for next august/september with free dining it looks lovely. :) We upgraded from the counter service to the dining plan it cost £140 for the upgrade but when I think of what was spent last year and how much we are saving £140 for the amount of table service that we can use it for is nothing. I think we spent at least $800-$1000 on food last year for the two of us.

We just booked for Riverside for next august/september with free dining it looks lovely. :) We upgraded from the counter service to the dining plan it cost £140 for the upgrade but when I think of what was spent last year and how much we are saving £140 for the amount of table service that we can use it for is nothing. I think we spent at least $800-$1000 on food last year for the two of us.

that's really interesting to know, thanks for that. I hadn't thought about upgrading but that's a really good idea. It's our first trip to WDW so I'm finding the whole thing a bit daunting, dh is taking me away from my comfort zone which is DLP :goodvibes

You'll love WDW. I am completly obsessed. Been going atleast every other year since I was about 5 and it's sure to be kept like that for the rest of my life ill make sure of it. ;)

You'll love WDW. I am completly obsessed. Been going atleast every other year since I was about 5 and it's sure to be kept like that for the rest of my life ill make sure of it. ;)

I'm not sure if dh has realised I may well feel the same way :goodvibes

I just can't wait to decide on dates to get it booked :banana:

I'm really torn between October and December

last year my parents paid £2800 for two weeks at coronado springs and tickets for our wedding and this year we are paying £1516 for pofq with upgraded free dining to regualr plan and tickets

635 for our flights and 365 for our car so we have saved money and all our food is paid for whereas last year nothing was paid for with regards to food. We booked with virgin holidays and this year I have done it all seperate thanks to this board and will do it like that from now on

last year my parents paid £2800 for two weeks at coronado springs and tickets for our wedding and this year we are paying £1516 for pofq with upgraded free dining to regualr plan and tickets

635 for our flights and 365 for our car so we have saved money and all our food is paid for whereas last year nothing was paid for with regards to food. We booked with virgin holidays and this year I have done it all seperate thanks to this board and will do it like that from now on

I am the same Sarah saving so much money. :scared1: I don't think ill ever be booking another package holiday again.

that's a really big difference, it pays to shop around. Whenever we've done DLP I've always booked separately but usually on the same day, not sure how I'm going to cope with the gap between booking the accomodation and being able to book the flights :confused3 I've got to stop stressing and just get on with it !!!

We have been in Oct and Dec. Oct is warmer, the days are lighter for longer but the parks are busier, the first two weeks in Dec are the cheapest time of all to go. If you can avoid the October half term then do as the flights will be a bit cheaper.

I think you will just have to choose between halloween or xmas.:confused3

Hi - tough choice - but good. Beginning of December was always my favourite time. You have low crowds - nice weather usually and all the Christmas decorations are up.

Last time, we went late October and the crowds were just as low, maybe slightly warmer weather. I would definitely go then again too.

But, I see you have a little one and it is cheaper for you in December, so I would say definitely go then - all the decorations and the Osborne family lights are a must see. And it's still warm enough to swim - the pools are lovely and warm in December. Whichever you choose you can't lose but I have to say the Christmas stuff is way more exciting than the Halloween things in Disney.

I forget when free dining is available for 2010 on the Disney UK site - that might help with your choice. The deals are quite good - rack rates plus free dining. But you might want to wait to see if they offer free dining at OKW and Saratoga Springs for next year.

Others have said that it came out early August last year for this year. The discounts were huge - I am waiting to see what comes up. And as there's only three of you, you might just want a studio, so you could wind up getting an excellent deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter