Your Dream WDW Vacation

MacMama0930

I've Found My Laughing Place
I will be visiting the parks for the first time in April. Work trip, no kids, testing it out as were DL vets. If these boards tell me anything, it’s that I will likely fall in love with it. IF I do ABSOLUTELY love WDW, I intend on splurging on a family vacation for Christmas time.

Since I don’t know the ins and outs and all that is offered, I’m wondering if you could help me fantasize and/or tentatively plan for a Christmas trip.

If budget allows or allowed, where do you stay or where would you stay? For instance, if you had a generous budget - not that money is NO object by any means -but you have room to splurge, what would be your go to hotel for a family of 4? Kids would be 10 and 7. I lean towards Animal Kingdom, maybe a Villa? But open to suggestions.

I would, undoubtedly, purchase tickets for a MVMCP. We don’t have those parties here in CA. We do do enjoy the Halloween parties, and we just experienced Christmas time at our home park, which was beautiful. We did a VIP tour and that’s not something I would do again. The value just didn’t compute for me.

My kids have low stamina so having SEATS to shows/parades whatever are ideal and worth the up charge. So what is offered around the holidays where we could sit and relax? Here in CA, we really only have the WOC dessert party and it’s AWESOME. My understanding is that WDW offers many more experiences similar to the dessert party.

We recently stayed CL at the Grand CA and loved it. Have you found that CL is valuable at WDW resorts? I figured with if we did a dining plan, CL may lose some of its value.

Any tours (besides the VIP) that are great for kids?

Anything we must do? Tell me what your dream vacation would be!! We’d likely be able to stay 5 or 6 nights, but not much more.

Thank you!!

8DF24A61-778F-4F93-842A-795623BAC547.jpeg 049F0055-B4DF-47BE-ACB5-506D0BD43F14.jpeg 87725093-BDA8-49B9-A58F-1A65DB3654AF.jpeg Wilderness Lodge is on my bucket list for a Christmas-time trip. We’re staying there in April but it has the most amazing Christmas decorations.
We stayed at AKL last December which is also amazing but I may not choose it for a first trip because of distance from all the parks. My dream Christmas-time trip would be a split stay between Wilderness Lodge and AKL.
Here is WL in December.

My dream would be the Grand Floridian for my wonderful hubby. He has always wanted to stay there and I wish I could surprise him with that just one time. It would be my dream of dreams to take along all 4 of our grown DS's, their wives/girlfriends, and all 9 of our grandkids- that would of course meant that we won the lottery or something, lol.

I think Wilderness Lodge at Christmas is beautiful, but if it's too similar to what you have at home, I think AKL would be a wonderful choice. Keep in mind that AKL is a little further away from the parks, aside from AK, and only has bus transportation. I can't talk my family into staying there just because of the location, but I think it's gorgeous!

The Polynesian is my favorite of all the resorts, it is just very special to me. It's location can't be beat! Fireworks at night from the beach, easy access to some of the best dining via the monorail-it's just awesome!

All of the resorts decorate in some way at the holidays, and they all offer something special. Tough choice!

I would love to do a poly villa for all the space and having 2 showers. (one shower in a separate room and a tub shower with toilet and sink in the other room). We visited poly around christmas time this past christmas (not staying at the resort) and weren’t too excited with the christmas decorations. If having really good christmas decorations is a must for you, I️ would go for wl, gf, or beach club. In my opinion, they had the best decorations and being on the boardwalk and able to walk to epcot and hollywood studios is super convenient. We have never had the pleasure of staying at wdw for 5 or 6 days so we always plan more compactly, but the ideal vacation for me would be one day per park and a couple days/mornings/afternoons to do other things like pool time if disney springs. I hope this helps and enjoy any future trips to wdw!

I would definitely stay at AKL. It is beautiful at Christmas. I like the buses, they are always reliable and there are only ever two stops. I think the savanna view is worth it, but others think it is a waste as there are a lot of animal viewing areas. It also has some of the best food. Have fun!

AKL is my favorite hotel. I would rent DVC points for a studio or 1 bedroom villa. Our kids loved AKL.

Hi MacMama0930! :)

Former So Cal resident and AP here...just moved to a tiny town in the midwest in August, after having lived in OC and being DL APs since 2001. Boy, do I miss it! We were able to spend 4 days at DL over the winter holidays, though. :)

I will tell you as a So Cal kid who spent more days and nights than she can count at DL (and later DCA) over the course of 30+ years...the sheer size of WDW is going to blow you away. You truly can't imagine it until you've seen it in person. You know how when you're at DL there is the berm once you're inside, where you can't see anything outside the parks? imagine that berm surrounding four parks and 25+ hotels. It's truly mind-blowing...and you won't believe how huge the castle is compared to the one in DL! Once you're at the "World", you feel totally removed from the outside world...and that's why, as much as I love DL, for me WDW wins hands down. I mention the size issue because I think it impacts which resort you may want to choose.

My H (also a So Cal boy) and I made our first trip to WDW for our honeymoon in January of 1994. We stayed at what was known as "Dixie Landings" back then (now Port Orleans-Riverside). It was the week after New Year's, and the parks were completely dead...as in, we walked right onto the most popular rides and rode over and over again. It was crazy! We loved it, and it began a series of almost-yearly trips to WDW, which continued after our D was born in 2002. Our hotel preferences changed greatly once we had a child, and as over the years WDW began to become more and more crowded, even in the "low seasons". All that to say...

You mentioned that you have two children, ages 7 and 10, and that they have "low stamina". If the budget will allow it, I would suggest that you strongly consider staying at either one of the Monorail resorts (GF, Poly, or CR) or one of the Epcot resorts (BC, YC, BWI/BWV) because there is so.much.walking at WDW compared to DL! Especially if you're talking about going at Christmastime...the T&TC parking lot and process is IMHO a nightmare that I try to avoid at all costs, and unless you're staying on the Monorail route or are within walking distance (or you take the bus system), you will have to endure it, lol.

About the bus system...many on this board use it and love it. As for my family, H works long hours and travels a ton on business, and my D is very busy with school and extracurriculars, so vacations are a rare time when we can all be together for an extended period of time. Because of that, we don't like being beholden to the bus system's schedule or the fickle finger of fate as to whether we can just make it on the first bus or have to stand around for another 10+ minutes waiting for one...and that's doubly true for us when we're exhausted after a long day at the park...or if you get sick (which has happened to everyone in my family at least once). We used the bus system when we were younger and before D was born and typically were fine with it...but has life has gotten more stressful for us and time matters more than money now, we avoid it. I guess that makes us impatient, lol...but it is what it is. In the past we have rented a car and driven to AK (again to avoid the buses), but I think this year we will try out the new Minnie vans instead.

So what I would advise is to try to figure out which park(s) you plan on spending the most time at. If it's MK and Epcot, I would recommend staying at the Poly, because IMHO it has the easiest transportation to both of those parks...you can catch a direct Monorail to MK from the hotel, or you can take a short walk to the T&TC and take a direct Monorail to Epcot. If the budget would allow, staying in one of the 1 bedroom villas there would be ideal, because it would give everyone a little more space and privacy (the older my D gets, the more that matters to us). Alternatively, you could stay at Bay Lake Tower at the CR...you can actually walk or take the Monorail to the MK from the CR, but you'd have to switch Monorails at the T&TC to get to Epcot. When our D was younger, we stayed at either the Poly or the CR to take advantage of the easy transportation to and from MK, as it was her favorite park at the time and where we spent most of our time.

If, however, you think you might spend more of your time at Epcot and HS, I would recommend one of the Epcot resorts. It's a quick walk or boat ride to either Epcot or HS, the pools are amazing, and the Boardwalk area has a lot of great food options. Now that our daughter is a teenager and prefers Epcot and HS, our favorite place to stay is at either a BW or BC 1 bedroom villa (again, for privacy...and I love that they have a washer and dryer in the suite because it means we can pack less clothes). Plus, we think the food at Epcot is the best in all of WDW, and it's awesome to be able to eat at Epcot every night if we feel like it and only have a short walk back to our hotel. (As a side note, you won't believe how much better the food is at WDW than it is at DL!!!)

AKL is amazing (we've stayed there twice), but at the time of the year you're talking about going, I think I would avoid it. It is the farthest away resort from any of the hotels (it's not even that close to the AK, lol), and you would have to get on a bus or in a car every time you wanted to go anywhere...and with crowds at that time of the year, again, I think that since your kids are used to the size and scale of DL this could end up being an issue. I think if you were willing to use the Minnie van service or Uber to go to the parks (and avoid the buses) you could maybe still consider AK...but again, you'll be waiting on that Minnie van/Uber at one of the busiest times of the year at WDW.

MVMCP will blow you away...we have nothing like it at DL. And the Halloween parties at DL also can't compare to the ones at WDW...everything is just on a grander scale. And the Candlelight Processional at Epcot...again, incredible...if you can talk your family into it (and if your kids can tolerate it), I would do it.

We just went to the WOC dessert party in December, and it was awesome and inspired us to book some dessert parties for our trip to WDW in April (fingers crossed that they are just as good or better). I'm sure others will chime in on ones you might want to consider.

The CL thing is highly subjective. We've done it once at the GF, and we found that with the dining plan, it was too much food for us, and we'd rather save the stomach space for Epcot food, lol. But there are tons of people on this board (I've been lurking for many years and only recently started posting) who swear by CL and always stay that way.

And the last piece of advice I will leave you with is...if you have any desire at all to not eat counter service for every meal, take the 180 day ADR thing seriously!!! There is so much more planning that goes into a WDW vacation than a DL one (though reservations have been harder and harder to get at DL restaurants too). And get those fastpasses as soon as you can too...you won't believe how many more people who go to WDW plan and reserve everything in advance!

I hope this has been helpful...sorry it's so long! I was excited to "meet" a fellow DL vet...and so excited for you to be able to take your first WDW trip and (hopefully) fall in love with it! :)

Hi MacMama0930! :)

Former So Cal resident and AP here...just moved to a tiny town in the midwest in August, after having lived in OC and being DL APs since 2001. Boy, do I miss it! We were able to spend 4 days at DL over the winter holidays, though. :)

I will tell you as a So Cal kid who spent more days and nights than she can count at DL (and later DCA) over the course of 30+ years...the sheer size of WDW is going to blow you away. You truly can't imagine it until you've seen it in person. You know how when you're at DL there is the berm once you're inside, where you can't see anything outside the parks? imagine that berm surrounding four parks and 25+ hotels. It's truly mind-blowing...and you won't believe how huge the castle is compared to the one in DL! Once you're at the "World", you feel totally removed from the outside world...and that's why, as much as I love DL, for me WDW wins hands down. I mention the size issue because I think it impacts which resort you may want to choose.

My H (also a So Cal boy) and I made our first trip to WDW for our honeymoon in January of 1994. We stayed at what was known as "Dixie Landings" back then (now Port Orleans-Riverside). It was the week after New Year's, and the parks were completely dead...as in, we walked right onto the most popular rides and rode over and over again. It was crazy! We loved it, and it began a series of almost-yearly trips to WDW, which continued after our D was born in 2002. Our hotel preferences changed greatly once we had a child, and as over the years WDW began to become more and more crowded, even in the "low seasons". All that to say...

You mentioned that you have two children, ages 7 and 10, and that they have "low stamina". If the budget will allow it, I would suggest that you strongly consider staying at either one of the Monorail resorts (GF, Poly, or CR) or one of the Epcot resorts (BC, YC, BWI/BWV) because there is so.much.walking at WDW compared to DL! Especially if you're talking about going at Christmastime...the T&TC parking lot and process is IMHO a nightmare that I try to avoid at all costs, and unless you're staying on the Monorail route or are within walking distance (or you take the bus system), you will have to endure it, lol.

About the bus system...many on this board use it and love it. As for my family, H works long hours and travels a ton on business, and my D is very busy with school and extracurriculars, so vacations are a rare time when we can all be together for an extended period of time. Because of that, we don't like being beholden to the bus system's schedule or the fickle finger of fate as to whether we can just make it on the first bus or have to stand around for another 10+ minutes waiting for one...and that's doubly true for us when we're exhausted after a long day at the park...or if you get sick (which has happened to everyone in my family at least once). We used the bus system when we were younger and before D was born and typically were fine with it...but has life has gotten more stressful for us and time matters more than money now, we avoid it. I guess that makes us impatient, lol...but it is what it is. In the past we have rented a car and driven to AK (again to avoid the buses), but I think this year we will try out the new Minnie vans instead.

So what I would advise is to try to figure out which park(s) you plan on spending the most time at. If it's MK and Epcot, I would recommend staying at the Poly, because IMHO it has the easiest transportation to both of those parks...you can catch a direct Monorail to MK from the hotel, or you can take a short walk to the T&TC and take a direct Monorail to Epcot. If the budget would allow, staying in one of the 1 bedroom villas there would be ideal, because it would give everyone a little more space and privacy (the older my D gets, the more that matters to us). Alternatively, you could stay at Bay Lake Tower at the CR...you can actually walk or take the Monorail to the MK from the CR, but you'd have to switch Monorails at the T&TC to get to Epcot. When our D was younger, we stayed at either the Poly or the CR to take advantage of the easy transportation to and from MK, as it was her favorite park at the time and where we spent most of our time.

If, however, you think you might spend more of your time at Epcot and HS, I would recommend one of the Epcot resorts. It's a quick walk or boat ride to either Epcot or HS, the pools are amazing, and the Boardwalk area has a lot of great food options. Now that our daughter is a teenager and prefers Epcot and HS, our favorite place to stay is at either a BW or BC 1 bedroom villa (again, for privacy...and I love that they have a washer and dryer in the suite because it means we can pack less clothes). Plus, we think the food at Epcot is the best in all of WDW, and it's awesome to be able to eat at Epcot every night if we feel like it and only have a short walk back to our hotel. (As a side note, you won't believe how much better the food is at WDW than it is at DL!!!)

AKL is amazing (we've stayed there twice), but at the time of the year you're talking about going, I think I would avoid it. It is the farthest away resort from any of the hotels (it's not even that close to the AK, lol), and you would have to get on a bus or in a car every time you wanted to go anywhere...and with crowds at that time of the year, again, I think that since your kids are used to the size and scale of DL this could end up being an issue. I think if you were willing to use the Minnie van service or Uber to go to the parks (and avoid the buses) you could maybe still consider AK...but again, you'll be waiting on that Minnie van/Uber at one of the busiest times of the year at WDW.

MVMCP will blow you away...we have nothing like it at DL. And the Halloween parties at DL also can't compare to the ones at WDW...everything is just on a grander scale. And the Candlelight Processional at Epcot...again, incredible...if you can talk your family into it (and if your kids can tolerate it), I would do it.

We just went to the WOC dessert party in December, and it was awesome and inspired us to book some dessert parties for our trip to WDW in April (fingers crossed that they are just as good or better). I'm sure others will chime in on ones you might want to consider.

The CL thing is highly subjective. We've done it once at the GF, and we found that with the dining plan, it was too much food for us, and we'd rather save the stomach space for Epcot food, lol. But there are tons of people on this board (I've been lurking for many years and only recently started posting) who swear by CL and always stay that way.

And the last piece of advice I will leave you with is...if you have any desire at all to not eat counter service for every meal, take the 180 day ADR thing seriously!!! There is so much more planning that goes into a WDW vacation than a DL one (though reservations have been harder and harder to get at DL restaurants too). And get those fastpasses as soon as you can too...you won't believe how many more people who go to WDW plan and reserve everything in advance!

I hope this has been helpful...sorry it's so long! I was excited to "meet" a fellow DL vet...and so excited for you to be able to take your first WDW trip and (hopefully) fall in love with it! :)

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond with so much great info! I can’t even fathom the size difference, and really, I’m glad I’m going this first time by myself so that I can get my bearings. When I say my kids are low stamina, I mean my almost 7 yr old daughter is just plain lazy when it comes to walking! Haha. Seriously. If I let her, I’d be carrying her on my hip at age 15. And my son just more gets mentally overstimulated. He loves DL but definitely requires afternoon breaks to just get quiet time. He’s like a true empath who takes in everyone’s energy around him and sometimes I just think it exhausts him. So afternoon breaks are 100% a sure thing. And my husband would need down time, too. He’s been to FL and says the weather is awful. Growing up on the coast of CA we are spoiled. You know. That’s why I think a winter trip would be better, so that we won’t get too much of that humid heat. You’ve given me a lot to think about. I’m so excited for my upcoming trip. I have the ultimate night of adventures tour planned and a fireworks dessert party. I’m so over the constant cancellation of fireworks at DL. I get it. I know it’s safety, but they were cancelled when we had VIP seats and it was what I looked forward to the most! I hear they’re never cancelled at WDW!

I would pick WL, it is beautiful during Christmas and has boat transportation to MK. There is also a resort boat that loops around from WL to Contemporary and Ft Wilderness. So very easy to get around the MK resort area hotels for dining. WL has bunk bed rooms, with a queen + bunk beds. That may suit your kids, they wouldn’t have to share a bed.
And yes, it’s a lot like Grand Californian! We went to DL for the first time last Sept and enjoyed taking a lunch break there in their counter service restaurant to get out if the parks and crowds.

At WL you are closer to things. Esp for a first visit. AKL is wonderful, but further away from dining and the other resorts.

CL- we love it but when we book CL we tour a bit differently. We book a late table service lunch, then return to the resort for our break. And got to the lounge for Appies. Because we had a large table service lunch we found the Appies filled us for dinner.

It’s easy to get back to WL for mid day breaks. We always do, and we prefer to use WDW transportation. I don’t want to drive on vacation, I find that stressful driving around when I’m not familiar with the roads and neither is anyone else there! Most are tourists, doing crazy maneuvers when they realize their in the wrong lane and their exit is coming up :scared:
If you do decide to hire a car, the one park I definitely wouldn’t drive to is MK, as the parking is off the MK site. It’s in the TTC (Ticket & Transportation Centre) after you park you take the tram to either the monorail or boat to MK.

We have done the AKL Concierge level Dec 26- Jan 2 years ago. I loved the lounge, and since we go often, we spent a LOT of time at the resort (which was good, as the parks are INSANE that week). We'd just go a couple hours then go back and swim & enjoy the resort.

For a first family vacation to Disney, however, I do not recommend that week at all. It is so busy. Words cannot describe. If you do, I recommend concierge level wherever you are, so you have the lounge to relax.

We've also stayed over Christmas in a Boardwalk Villa. That was nice, and we decorated it with a tiny tree, lights, and stockings from home.

I'm thinking about going this year for Christmas, and if we do, my ideal would be the Grand Floridian in a concierge room (well, two rooms, as my "kids" will be 19 and 21, and no we stopped sharing one room over ten years ago).

Our favorite resort during Christmas is GF with the great lobby tree, ginger bread house and live Christmas music being played. We would grab a snack and sit in the lobby and enjoy the atmosphere:) For our family CL was not worth it, but it all depends on how you vacation and when you will be at the resort. The appetizers are only out between 5-7 and we are normally at the parks at that time and our family likes waffles and eggs for breakfast, we got tired of just bagels, cereals, etc. after a couple of days.
gf2.jpg gf1.jpg

Poly b/c of the monorail, spread of the resort, theme.
I strongly suggest NOT going at Christmas time for the first family vacation. That may ruin you for life. Go at any other time.
Rent a car. Don't rely on the buses. You'll waste valuable time.
Learn the ADR and FP systems and use them extensively.
Go to rope drop.
Take afternoon breaks.
Park hop.
Don't try to do everything. You'll be back.

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond with so much great info! I can’t even fathom the size difference, and really, I’m glad I’m going this first time by myself so that I can get my bearings. When I say my kids are low stamina, I mean my almost 7 yr old daughter is just plain lazy when it comes to walking! Haha. Seriously. If I let her, I’d be carrying her on my hip at age 15. And my son just more gets mentally overstimulated. He loves DL but definitely requires afternoon breaks to just get quiet time. He’s like a true empath who takes in everyone’s energy around him and sometimes I just think it exhausts him. So afternoon breaks are 100% a sure thing. And my husband would need down time, too. He’s been to FL and says the weather is awful. Growing up on the coast of CA we are spoiled. You know. That’s why I think a winter trip would be better, so that we won’t get too much of that humid heat. You’ve given me a lot to think about. I’m so excited for my upcoming trip. I have the ultimate night of adventures tour planned and a fireworks dessert party. I’m so over the constant cancellation of fireworks at DL. I get it. I know it’s safety, but they were cancelled when we had VIP seats and it was what I looked forward to the most! I hear they’re never cancelled at WDW!

You're welcome! :)

Your son sounds a lot like me. :) And H and I totally agree with your H's thoughts on the FL weather! So your inclination towards a winter trip makes a lot of sense to me...when you're not accustomed to the kind of weather they have in FL (especially the humidity), IMHO, it can ruin a trip much faster than large crowds can.

Poly b/c of the monorail, spread of the resort, theme.
I strongly suggest NOT going at Christmas time for the first family vacation. That may ruin you for life. Go at any other time.
Rent a car. Don't rely on the buses. You'll waste valuable time.
Learn the ADR and FP systems and use them extensively.
Go to rope drop.
Take afternoon breaks.
Park hop.
Don't try to do everything. You'll be back.

Yesss! Someone who agrees with me about the buses! :)

I would disagree slightly re: a Christmas trip, IF you can avoid the week between Christmas and New Year (it's wall-to-wall people that week). We have had a very successful trip going the week before Christmas and leaving Dec. 26 (it didn't get crowded until the 25th that year, and we avoided MK and did fine). But if you do it, you might want to pay for access to one of those websites that predicts how heavy the crowds will be at each park on each day of your trip...that's what we used, and it worked extremely well for us. The other reason I think OP may be ok with a December/Christmas trip is because she's used to DLR, which is much, much smaller and has an inferior ability to handle large crowds. The incredible number of APs at DL have made many days extremely to unbearably crowded there, yet OP and her family still enjoy it...so I have a feeling they may be better able to handle/less surprised by the crowds than someone who's not used to DLR.

The only potential problem with rope drop for OP's family (though I agree with you that it would be ideal) is that they are from the West Coast and are used to PST. So to their body to get up at 6 or 7 am to get to rope drop (if that's even early enough), it's gonna feel like 3 or 4 am. H and I spent many years in our early marriage doing this and for us, natural night owls, it was just miserable. Once our D came along we adjusted to her schedule (night owl too) and we found that we felt better, had more energy, and were still able to get everything we wanted done, but had to plan differently if we were doing rope drop.

I would love to stay at the Contemporary, its been a childhood dream of mine and for our upcoming trip I started researching it. The girls however remembered how I raved about my treatment at Animal Kingdom Lodge on my resort hopping day and now we are staying at AKL for 10 days in June (however I am researching and pricing a stay at Contemp for our 2021 trip).

No question about it, AKL for the win. the distance isn't very noticeable and the resort is magical.

If money were no object. I would do a two week stay. One week at the Grand Floridian and one week at Wilderness Lodge over the holidays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter