“Wow, Disney is Far Far Away” A Single Mom’s Road Trip to Disney: June 2013 TR

I am having SUCH a blast reading your TR! your family is so lovely and you are a wonderful Momma! :D i'm getting ready for our upcoming trip in September and this is helping me get extra psyched. Looking forward to more story and photos of 'all!! :D Also, thanks for the info on the fans - i plan on stocking up before we go..and i really wish we were driving kind of, after reading your driving to Disney report :)
*yay*!!
Jenne

Haha, your son sure does like that Kindle. :goodvibes

Great photos at the Character spot. It's too bad they dropped Goofy and Donald though. It used to be the only way to get the whole Fab 5 with just one wait. Ah well.

30 minutes for Nemo... WOW. Of course it can take that long to just walk the queue even with no line. :laughing:

I am having SUCH a blast reading your TR! your family is so lovely and you are a wonderful Momma! :D i'm getting ready for our upcoming trip in September and this is helping me get extra psyched. Looking forward to more story and photos of 'all!! :D Also, thanks for the info on the fans - i plan on stocking up before we go..and i really wish we were driving kind of, after reading your driving to Disney report :)
*yay*!!
Jenne

:wave:

Glad you are enjoying the report. I love reading trip reports when we have a trip coming up.

I still prefer flying, but I'm glad to have that drive under my belt. And there are definitely advantages to driving, especially this time with us being on a much stricter budget. Even with the hotel stays and stopping for meals, it was $300 less than flying. And that doesn't count what I saved being able to bring certain things from home that I would not be able to bring if we had flown down.

Haha, your son sure does like that Kindle. :goodvibes

Great photos at the Character spot. It's too bad they dropped Goofy and Donald though. It used to be the only way to get the whole Fab 5 with just one wait. Ah well.

30 minutes for Nemo... WOW. Of course it can take that long to just walk the queue even with no line. :laughing:

He and that Kindle are practically inseparable from the time I pick him up from preschool. I put several preschool apps on there for him and generally once he is in the van, his first words are "May I have the tablet please?" I didn't get it until my parents gave my daughter one because I figured if we only had one in the house I'd never see it. Well, I hardly see it until it is time for me to read to him before bed.

I got it used on ebay. I may go back to ebay to see if I can get another one. My dd has the 8.9in one. I may see if I can get one like that on ebay for myself because I do like hers and the 7in is a good size for him.

I'm sad they dropped Goofy and Donald as well and as of when we went, I can't see the reasoning for it. There is a lot going on in that area though so maybe when they are done, it will become clear. We ate at Chef Mickey's on previous trips, but no room in the budget this time. I liked the character spot though because everyone is in their regular outfit. My daughter didn't care for the circus looks on Minnie, Donald and Goofy at all, plus those are 3 separate lines.

Yeah, that line for Nemo was shocking. It seemed everyone decided to ride it at once. I'll post another update tonight for sure.

I'm with everyone else - I have never, ever seen a line like that at Nemo! We were stopped in the room after the first winding room before, but never before that point. That could be one of my top three LEAST favorite rides in Disney - it's so BORING! I guess it looks differently to kids!

Day 5, 3rd Park day, part 2: A Journey Around the World…well, almost.

I try to remain flexible on vacations. It’s essential with my crew. We’d headed into World Showcase earlier than I’d planned and it wasn’t as hot as the clouds had moved in. The children were fine and the hourly forecast indicated rain would arrive around 2:00, so I figured, we’d just go until they were done.

Our first stop once inside the pavilion was a stop at the quick service restaurant there. Dd and I got soft tacos with nachos. Dd got beef ones and I got chicken ones. I got ds a chicken tenders meal off the children’s menu. As was the case previously, the search for a table had its difficulties. But we eventually found a table.

Here’s my meal.

I admit I did not consistently take food photos during this trip, but I do have some. This meal was okay. It was much better last year even though we got the same food. Go figure.

Our first stop was the kidcot Fun Stop in the Mexican Pavilion. Now, you can choose a Perry the Platypus or a Duffy on a stick to color. Dd chose Perry. She sat at the table to color after they stamped it.

Once she was settled I let her know that I was taking ds on the “Fiesta Tour” boat ride. We’d gone on this ride in 2010. In 2012, dd had taken issue with it. I had waited for her to color Duffy only to have her run out as we approached the ride. So, this year, I told her ds and I were going on it while she colored. She was fine with that so off we went. It’s inside the same building.

We waited in the queue while they got it started.

Ds enjoyed the ride. I turned my flash off and took some pictures during the ride so dd could see them later. They are a bit blurry, but here’s one. She said she might try it next time. She thought it was much darker.

She still wasn’t done coloring when we returned so I let her continue. I know the idea is to color a little at each stop, but knowing my child as I do, I let her finish. Next we moved on to the Norway Pavilion.

We found the spot in the back of the gift shop. Dd got a stamp and the CM drew Norway’s flag on Perry.

Then we took some time to take some silly pictures.

Once she got the 2nd stamp, dd was into it. We walked on to the next country.

We really appreciate the beauty of the China pavilion and then after visiting the display of the Chinese soldiers, we had some fun in the gift shop.

We eventually found the kidcot fun stop.

After we got the stamp, the CM wrote dd’s name in Chinese. We thanked her and moved on. Our next stop was the Mulan meet and greet. I stood in line while the children took a break on the bench next to the line.

Next we came across what appeared to be an African area, but I knew there was no African pavilion. I figured this was the African outpost I had read about although I had not anticipated it being there during our trip. The children had fun there.

They had some very pretty things. Souvenir money was not plentiful on the trip though. We kept going.

Germany was next. After we got the stamp, I wanted ds to see the train display they had in this area. We had not done World Showcase since he was 10 months old and I knew my train crazy little boy would be over the moon. As we walked on though ds had to stop and look at the water. I love this shot.

We made it to the German area. This is so beautiful to me.

First things first.

We eventually found the train area. The whole thing wasn’t running as it had been previously. One or two trains were running. He stayed in that spot for a good ten minutes.

We moved on to Italy. The smell of yummy food hit us right in the face.

We found the Kidcot Funstop easily.

After getting her stamp, dd took a break. We took the time for some hydration and to watch a guy performing there. My view wasn't good enough to get pictures of him.

What next? Would our world tour continue?

Just found your TR, enjoying it :)
I love the way you tour, you seem to have a plan, yet be relaxed and easy-going about things.
Looking forward to reading more, your children are adorable!

I'm enjoying your trip report. It's very readable and I like the pics to go with the narration. Question: Did you make the invite to BBB and Crystal Palace or did that come from Disney?

Just found your TR, enjoying it :)
I love the way you tour, you seem to have a plan, yet be relaxed and easy-going about things.
Looking forward to reading more, your children are adorable!

:welcome:

Thanks, flexibility is a prerequisite with this crew.

I'm glad you are enjoying the report.

I'm enjoying your trip report. It's very readable and I like the pics to go with the narration. Question: Did you make the invite to BBB and Crystal Palace or did that come from Disney?

:wave:

I'm glad you are enjoying the report.

I found the invitations on here actually. There is a forum called Creative DISigns and the artists make them. The Crystal Palace was a design of Shadowryter's and it had everything but the date and time when I found it. For the BBB invite, I saved it, then blanked out the middle that was on it and wrote in my own words. Usually I do a search for what I want and find it that way. Most of the artists have share files or photobucket files where they store their work. Some people make requests for personalization done by the artist. I have done that, but this trip, I really didn't have time as the ones liked the artists were inactive. I just open the design in "paint" after saving it and could make changes. It's fun.

Joining in on your TR! You all are such a cute family and it looks like you guys had so much fun! I cant wait to read more :teeth:

I forgot to mention this earlier, but I totally love the photo in front of Spaceship Earth with the "I Love My Mom" border. Absolutely Precious!!

I always have to comment when someone "goes left" into World Showcase, starting in Mexico. It just always impresses me. In all my trips, I still always go right. Not by design, it's just a natural motion. One of my Disney goals is to do World Showcase clockwise!!!

I think I appreciate WS more and more each and every trip. What lovely photos. And FYI, the African Outpost is permanent. :)

I always have to comment when someone "goes left" into World Showcase, starting in Mexico. It just always impresses me. In all my trips, I still always go right. Not by design, it's just a natural motion. One of my Disney goals is to do World Showcase clockwise!!!

I always start with Mexico. I guess it's like reading to me. I go left to right across the map. :)

I'm late the party!! :)

I'm so sorry to hear about your DH. What a wonderful job you are doing with your babies! My mom just passed in April so I totally understand what you mean about when you are on vacation, you can forge the hustle and bustle of everyday life.. We are going in October and I can't wait to get away with my boys and be happy again.

Beautiful daughter and handsome son! Can't wait to read more!

I forgot to mention this earlier, but I totally love the photo in front of Spaceship Earth with the "I Love My Mom" border. Absolutely Precious!!

I think I appreciate WS more and more each and every trip. What lovely photos. And FYI, the African Outpost is permanent. :)

:laughing: My dd saw the border and was like, "Really mom?" I said, "Well, you do don't you?" She said, "Yes, but..." I said, "Hey, no shame in my game."

We have only been twice in three tries, but we have gone in that way each time. On our first trip, dd did the Kim Possible mission in Mexico before we explored further. Our 2nd try ended in Mexico with the storm. This was our best tour so far. For a reason I will reveal in the next update I think, we may start the other way next time.

I'm glad to hear the African Outpost is permanent. There's a couple of things I wanted there and the children really enjoyed it.

:laughing: My dd saw the border and was like, "Really mom?" I said, "Well, you do don't you?" She said, "Yes, but..." I said, "Hey, no shame in my game."

I've been quietly following your TR for a few days but that was just to funny to not comment. :rotfl2:

Love your report and can't wait to read more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter