~ºoº May 4, 2012 - Magic Heads to Key West! ºoº~

We lived in Evanston, IL for a little while while I pursued a PhD at Northwestern...I ended up leaving to come back to Ky for law school. We lived on the worst street in Evanston (it's all we could afford!) and saw some pretty seedy places up there, so I don't think Nassau will bug us much! I will, however, avoid taxis w/o carseats--I'm a carseat safety nut. I'm nervous about the motor coach from MCO to the Port because there are no seatbelts or ways to attach carseats.

Would you share the spreadsheet?:yay: ameliabrownmccormick at gmail.com

What about staying onboard during a portion of the port day to enjoy a less crowded ship? (NOT on castaway cay day, though!! Can't wait for that one, and it is going to be my baby's birthday!! :cool1:)

Benefit to my in-laws coming: More time with DH, we get along, and maybe they will split the cost of a CC cabana with me! :banana:

Thanks for the comment on adding to the family...we had already decided to start, ahem, pursuing that around May 2012...so maybe we will come home with a special souvenier? :littleangel: You can't sail if you are more than 24 weeks pregnant, so it can't happen too soon or I wouldn't be able to go!! lol! Planning a family around a cruise date, of course!

Spreadsheet sent!

My sister lived in Evanston for a few years before moving out to the far west 'burbs. I loved it when she was in Evanston...that meant close to the lake!

Definitely enjoy the ship while in port if you prefer! We often spend just a couple of hours wandering Nassau if we aren't snorkeling, and then enjoy a quiet ship for the remainder of our time there. The pools are less crowded, games are available in Diversions, and it's just an overall relaxing atmosphere. If you decide to do that, definitely choose the Nassau day for such.

Oh, I didn't think of that with your in-laws and the cabana...great idea! Just be ready to snatch one up as soon as they are available (or get to the port early to book one as soon as you are onboard the ship). I hear they are very popular. We have never rented one as we move around too much to get much use out of it! :rotfl: If we aren't biking, we're snorkeling. If we aren't doing one of those two things, we're browsing in shops. And then of course there is time on the beach. (I can't sit still!)

Good luck with creating your souvenir on the cruise! :goodvibes How fun would that be!?!

Thank you so much for the spread sheet!

Now I'm thinking about costumes for pirate night--Do a lot of people go all-out for this? I think I would be fun to dress up the kids (I don't think DH and I want to bring a set of pirate clothes! Maybe a just bandana or something, lol.) I just think my two would look so cute with little bandanas, eye patches, etc. I don't want to pack a bunch of unnecessary stuff, though!

Are the CC cabanas right on the beach? Like, could the kids play in the sand right in front of the door or is it 50 feet away or something?

Do you have a lot of WDW knowledge, too, or are you mainly a cruise buff? I know you said you like AK! We are considering doing one night at the Contemporary after the cruise (so staying on May 9). I thought it would be good because it is so close to MK (and it isn't cheap, but it is cheaper than Poly and Grand FL!). Then we could do Chef Mickey's the next morning before flying out!

On the dinner rotation, did you have a certain reason for picking the one you did? Was it so you didn't have to repeat? Do you like one place more than the others? I like Beauty and the Beast a lot, so I'm looking forward to Lumiere's. AP looks a bit cheesey to me.

Amazingly enough, people do get into the whole pirate thing with dressing up! However, we never have. :rotfl: We stick with the simple bandana and hoop earrings. Here's a picture of me before we headed out on our cruise last Nov/Dec...
IMG_2198.jpg

It is fun to dress up...I just prefer not packing anything more than I need to. We have too much luggage as it is! (I bought our bandanas at a craft store...Joann's or A.C. Moore...can't remember which one!)

As for the cabanas, these two posts from KristMc's trip report have really great shots of Cabana 10, showing where it is located in reference to the water, and what the sand and such looks like surrounding it...
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=40980448&postcount=77
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=40997721&postcount=81
It was her trip report that sold me on the cabanas, but I think it would really go to waste with us unfortunately. Maybe if I can get my mom and sisters to cruise Disney with us, that might change. (Mom has cruised once with me on DCL and loved it, but I need to talk sisters and niece into doing so!)

The dining rotation we like started out several cruises back. I prefer to have the absolute latest seating possible for debarkation day breakfast. That would be eating in Lumiere's (Triton's on the Wonder) on the last night in order to eat in Lumiere's on the final morning. Lumiere's/Triton's has the last breakfast seating (they stagger the times that last morning), and since we always request second dinner seating, we get the last breakfast seating too. (Of course, you can always eat upstairs at the buffet!) However, after having a few cruises under our belts, this particular rotation for this cruise (as long as they stay the same as the 2010 5-day with Key West calls) happens to work perfectly for us for another reason...one night at Animator's Palate. I know people rave about it here, and seeing the show for the first time is definitely a must. But once I saw it, the dining room is like been there, done that. Others feel much different about it, and until you have eaten here, you will not know what you think of it. (In my opinion, the AP rotational menu is my least favorite of all the dining rooms.) Since we plan on doing Palo, if we get the rotation requested, we are going to miss the Parrot Cay menu, which bums me out. I am still considering doing Palo on the second night and just missing AP or on night four and missing the Pirate menu. Still need to figure that one out! (I'm leaning towards missing the Pirate menu...it's just that Palo works out so much better for us on the day at sea.) Decisions, decisions! (I will admit here on one cruise we ate at Palo around 6:00 p.m., then went to our regular dinner at Triton's at 8:15 p.m. Crazy! But I may just do that again! LOL) I'm not sure which I would choose over the other when it comes to Lumiere's and Parrot Cay. I love both, but for different reasons. Lumiere's is just so beautiful inside, and they have a wonderful beef tenderloin on the menu (plus Creme Brulee!), but Parrot Cay is soooooo colorful, which I love, and I am in the minority as being a big fan of the menu.

Do not even get me started on WDW! Living 2 1/2 hours (max) away means many, many weekend trips down there. (I lost count after about 60! LOL) We consider Wilderness Lodge our second home, in fact. :rotfl: As far as resorts, we have stayed at all but Grand Floridian (DH was going to book a few nights there for us, but it reminds me too much of walking into a Stanley Kubrick film), Saratoga Springs (nothing wrong with it, but just haven't made it there), and POFQ (we always end up at Riverside when staying at PO). I will admit, we are deluxe snobs. ;) But we do like the moderates also. Ask away any questions you have on WDW!

First off, you had me at "creme brulee"...

I'm super confused about port arrival times. I've read different things--they are scheduled, show up early, don't show up early... What is your experience? We want to avoid long lines and waits as much as possible, get on the ship as fast as possible, and maybe seek out an upgrade at the port?

Oh, and what's the deal with "concierge" stuff-- what exactly does that include?

What FE took you more than 5 months???

It was more like I procrastinated for 5 months!!! I'm hoping by picking up a few things for the little crafty gifts I am putting together, it will get me in the mood to actually get the ball rolling this time around.

All of that port arrival times and stuff is new to me too...ugh! They had to put that in place due to the larger crowds with the Dream. The waiting area of the port was not enlarged, so basically they have the same amount of inside space as before holding 50% more people. Not pretty! Once the Magic returns from Europe, I think we will get a better feel for how the arrival times will work with her. Even so, we have never arrived at the port before noon. On the two occasions we did want to upgrade at the port, we were able to do so (I would say we were over at the Supervisor's desk checking for upgrades by 12:30 or so). Not that upgrades will be available...it's a crapshoot, that's for sure...but there is the possibility of snagging one even by getting there a bit later than the first in line folks. I will admit taking a cruise the week after Thanksgiving probably helped...typically people are not vacationing that week as Thanksgiving week is more of a vacation week and then crowds dwindle until just before Christmas. But we were able to score that 1-bedroom suite last November at 12:30, and get this - there were multiple staterooms for us to choose from! That was a shocker. Even found out during the course of our cruise, several folks in our FE had upgraded at the port. Obviously it was not a sold-out sailing!

Regardless if we are looking to upgrade or not, we have found arriving around noon works out good for us. By then the majority of the crowds have boarded, we have little to no wait to check-in, and pretty much are walking on the ship once the paperwork is complete. Staterooms still aren't ready until 1:30, but we can grab a quick bite to eat for lunch without having to lug our carry-ons around too much.

If you do want to get to the port as early as possible, and they are using the port arrival time system for our cruise, login to your cruise right at the 75-day mark that you can check-in at midnight and grab the earliest arrival time available. (I always log in at the exact moment I can to snag my perfect Palo night and time!)

Concierge is a perk with the suites on the Magic. If you book or upgrade to a category R, S, or T you will be in a concierge stateroom. Some of the perks are pre-cruise concierge service at 120 days prior to sailing (meaning you can book Palo, shore excursions, etc. at 120 days rather than 75 for your first sailing), special line for check-in (obviously if you upgrade at the port these two perks will be a moot point), priority boarding (you are in group 1...if you upgrade at the port and they are still calling boarding numbers, you basically bypass them and walk right on the ship), daily treats brought to your stateroom (we had chocolate covered strawberries, fresh fruit, chocolate dipped banana bread bites, and the like delivered), a private party (Stitch made an appearance at ours) which lasts about an hour and is open bar (or at least they have a few drinks to choose from such as margaritas, wine, etc.), concierge will book special things such as a Galley Tour or changes in port excursions for you, typically a gift at the end of the cruise (we received a beautiful Don "Ducky" Williams lithograph, which is HUGE!), and a few other things which I am probably forgetting! I absolutely loved the jacuzzi tub in our master bath! Let me know if you want to see pictures of a one-bedroom suite...I have several posted on my FB page.

We booked an inside stateroom for this cruise...our first time non-verandah! But after sailing in Royal Caribbean's inside staterooms over the years, I'm sure I can handle the Magic's as hers are much more roomy than RCI's! (I'm thinking a port upgrade is a definite possibility...I have only booked inside once before on DCL and we did the port upgrade to a verandah stateroom that time too.)

Had a LOUSY day at work today. May cannot come soon enough!

If you do want to get to the port as early as possible, and they are using the port arrival time system for our cruise, login to your cruise right at the 75-day mark that you can check-in at midnight and grab the earliest arrival time available. (I always log in at the exact moment I can to snag my perfect Palo night and time!)

We booked an inside stateroom for this cruise...our first time non-verandah! But after sailing in Royal Caribbean's inside staterooms over the years, I'm sure I can handle the Magic's as hers are much more roomy than RCI's! (I'm thinking a port upgrade is a definite possibility...I have only booked inside once before on DCL and we did the port upgrade to a verandah stateroom that time too.)

Had a LOUSY day at work today. May cannot come soon enough!

What do you do for a living? (Just curious, you don't have to answer if you don't want to! It's not really pertinent to a Disney cruise, lol!)

Well, then, what would be the advantage to getting to the port earlier? It sounds like noon is a great time to arrive. We definitely don't want to stand in long lines with two kids!

Would it be too nosey to ask how much you paid for your verandah stateroom upgrade at the port?

May does sound rather far away, doesn't it??? Although, I need the time to save money, I had to buy 2 new tires today :headache:

Those t-shirts for the boys are cute! The pirate Mickey silhouette is what we have on our FE! (Actually, I think mine is a Minnie...need to check!)

Oh, work wasn't that horrible (just at that moment I thought it was!). I work in IT as a systems analyst. We are in the midst of opening the school year (I work at the school board) and getting the systems ready. On top of that, it is state reporting time of the year AND the guy in HR who I work closely with (he is their business analyst) left this past week and they are transitioning the handling of his duties. It has been a challenge to say the least! Normally I love my job and all is good. ;)

I can only think of two advantages for arriving at the port early...get on board the ship as early as possible (although the crowds just do not justify that to me!) and upgrades (but since they are a crapshoot, if I'm not in the mood to go early, I won't! LOL).

We have purchased upgrades at the port twice. The first was in Oct 2009 on a 3-night Wonder cruise. We went from an inside stateroom category 12 (now an 11C) to a family verandah category 4 (now a 4B) for a total of $570. They did not have any regular verandahs remaining...just the deluxe family verandah. The second time was in Nov 2010 on a 7-night Western Magic cruise. We went from a verandah category 6 (now 5B) to a category 3 (now T) one-bedroom suite for a total of $1550. If we had purchased the one-bedroom suite ahead of time last year, the total difference to puchase it ahead of time would have been around $4500 more (and once we scored a FL rate on the original verandah room, it would have been even more since they do not offer FL rates on the suites).

Oh, I hear you on the car stuff. Had planned paying off about $300 on the cruise this week. Had to nix that. One of the cars needed the AC fixed this past week. Ugh!

Haven't started on those FE gifts yet. :rolleyes1

I will work on FE crafts this weekend...I will work on FE crafts this weekend...I will work on FE crafts this weekend...I will work on FE crafts this weekend...I will work on FE crafts this weekend...I will work on FE crafts this weekend...

Actually I started going through some of the old cruise clothes and seeing what I need to replace.

I will work on FE crafts this weekend...I will work on FE crafts this weekend...I will work on FE crafts this weekend...I will work on FE crafts this weekend...I will work on FE crafts this weekend...I will work on FE crafts this weekend...

My in-laws are definitely coming, so I'll see if MIL wants to do the FE. She is very crafty. They, in turn, invited my BIL and SIL! It will be like a family reunion if they come! I'm going to tell DH, though, that I'm still doing whatever the heck I want (and not bending to their schedules!).

I'm getting some FE ideas. I am going to nominate you the boss of the FE for our little group here :goodvibes (um, I guess just me and you right now...). So will we do one gift each or several small ones or what? Will it be anonymous or will we leave our names on the gift we give? Will we break it up into smaller groups? (I'm not sure I want to deliver 100 FE gifts with two toddlers!)

I'm going to start saving for a room upgrade at the port. :cool1: If we get one, great, if not, we will just stash that moo-lah away for the next vacay!

My office is like 1000 degrees right now, I think I'll just pretend it is the Bahamas....

Woo hoo! Family vacay! We have done a few family cruises, both with my family (aunts, cousins included) and my DH's family (brothers and their families). Both times we were very much in the mode of every man for himself. We ate dinners together, and if anyone decided on doing things during that day that others were interested in...well then we just got together! It all worked out. In fact, this past January my mom, sisters, niece, and I went on a girls cruise. Mom and I would go off and do our thing, while the others did their thing. It always worked out great.

I am totally down for organizing the FE. The first post was updated to include the info to PM me, so hopefully everyone who joins will see that first off. Our Mom/Daughter cruise in Oct 2009, we booked just seven months out and had maybe two or three cabins in our FE until about three months from the cruise. We ended up with eight cabins total. I was slightly disappointed, but it ended up being all good and manageable. (Last year we had over 35 cabins...YIKES!)

I think once we see how many participants we have, we can decide/poll how to handle. As far as gifts, that usually is up to the giver. Last year with the big group, we received some gifts that were one per stateroom (such as handmade photo frame), one gift per person (such as pins or candy bars), and one bag per stateroom (filled with stickers, small candy, temp tatoos, and the like). I like leaving it up to the individual...my main reason for participating is not so much what I get (although that is QUITE fun!)...it's just sprinkling pixie dust on others and finding pixie dust when we return to the room. It's also up to you whether you want to remain anonymous or not. We have received both ways...I like to thank everyone on the boards on return, but that is up to you.

Oooooh....that's a good idea about saving up. If no upgrades, then you have the money all set to book another cruise onboard! I like that idea!

If we upgrade onboard, how do we let everyone in the FE group know we are in a different room??

So, I just found out about this site yesterday, and I am so thrilled to learn about the FE and the magnets. I think my kids will be so surprised when they see little gifts left for them each day. I would LOVE to be a part of the FE.

We can't wait for this cruise. It's me, my hubby and my 4yr old daughter and 7yr old son.

YAY!!!!!

If we upgrade onboard, how do we let everyone in the FE group know we are in a different room??

Two ways this is handled...first, usually there is a group meet on boarding day (it seems around 3 p.m. works the best). Since I am taking on coordinating the FE, anyone who has a change can let me know at the group meet, or stop by my stateroom (or leave a note on my door, fish, etc.). I will post an updated list on my door (something along the lines of cabin 8082 moved to cabin 8048). It seems to work...we've changed staterooms at the port twice, and did not have a problem either time. The first time I actually put a little note in everyone's FE, but didn't need to do so as the master list on the coordinator's door was updated.

So, I just found out about this site yesterday, and I am so thrilled to learn about the FE and the magnets. I think my kids will be so surprised when they see little gifts left for them each day. I would LOVE to be a part of the FE.

We can't wait for this cruise. It's me, my hubby and my 4yr old daughter and 7yr old son.

YAY!!!!!

Yea! Welcome aboard! So glad to have you guys with us. Just shoot me a PM with the following information...
Stateroom #
Email Address
Names of people in party (plus DH, DW, etc)
DD/DS and ages for kids with their names
Celebrating anything?

An FYI for both of you. I'm one of those uncomfortable types that does not like to give out our last name until I know people well. For one of our FEs when I was really the new girl on the block, I used my maiden name for our last name. I will say, after meeting DISers it is so a non-issue, but just wanted to give anyone new to the DIS that food for thought. :)

I have taken off last name on the info request. Going back to previous FEs we participated in, last names were requested on one of them because one of the participants was making something personalized for the families. I'm thinking last name isn't really necessary, unless someone thinks otherwise. Let me know your thoughts!

Just booked tonight!!! This will be our 2nd cruise!! :cloud9:
Last one was a 10yr VR on the Dream. Can't wait to do another FE!!! :bride:
We had OVER 41 cabins that participated!! Wonder if that # was because the Dream is 40% larger???

gifts2.jpg

Here are some gift examples for those curious about the whole FE thing:

Lots of candy, and disney or pirate related items like:
pens, notebooks, bandanas, temporary tatoos, eye patches, rings, stickers, paint sets, coloring/activity books, small toys, etc.

gifts1.jpg

Some people got VERY creative!!
These were my favorite FE gifts of the trip:
A small mickey shaped wooden cutting board, personalized pirate bandanas, cruise ship mouse pad, small bottle of rum w/ personalized sticker, handmade photo frame, special personalized magnets for our door, AND a tote bag with 2 permanent markers (we had all of the characters sign it) !! :love:

gifts3.jpg

I'm SOOO excited to cruise again! 1st one was only 4 days and half of that was spent on "wedding" crap! :rotfl2:
Time to relax this time around.....

Welcome aboard! I have added you to the list for the FE! Looks like you guys had a great exchange on your previous cruise. Our first FE had 8 staterooms...the second 35ish staterooms.

What part of Illinois are you from? I grew up in the Chicago area, and so miss my hometown!

The cabanas at the family beach allow additional people above the maximum to be added at $50/person. Since one is an infant, they may not charge for the baby...you would need to contact DCL to determine this for certain. But so glad you will be able to share the cabana with your family! I added you to the list of participants...when you get a chance PM your info to me so I can add you to the spreadsheet. And let me know if the rest of your family will be joining in!

Just over 8 months!!!

We just booked this cruise a couple of weeks ago on the Dream. We made Platinum on that cruise and are missing the ship already. We've sailed twice on the Dream and 8 times on the Wonder, but never the Magic. We are myself and husband, my sister and BIL(who have never cruised) and we are very excited to do a 5 day and to see Key West. Something additional other than just Nassau and Castaway Cay. it seems like a long time until our cruise, doesn't it?

Dk

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter