“Told you I did. Reckless is (s)he.” - November 2017 Trips - 12/30 Bonus - Magnolia (Italy Trip)

Magnolia

On our second evening in Rome, we had another free evening after a full day of touring. I had arranged for us to go to a 1 Michelin Star restaurant that was in walking distance from our hotel, Hotel Majestic. We just had to walk past the American Embassy and we were there! The entrance to Magnolia was down an alleyway but once you walked into it, it was very pretty.

px5zdRN.jpg

9fcJ3P4.jpg

F363XqQ.jpg

We checked in after the poor hostess was dealing with a very angry Russian lady who was mad she couldn’t just ‘walk’ in and didn’t understand that they were fully booked for the evening. The hostess apologized for us having to see that but it was no bother to us! We felt more bad for her I think! We were brought to our table and had time to review the menu. This place was all about table art and each dish was created to be artistic. I’m upset I didn’t take a photo of the menu as many of the items are no longer on the menu so I’m having to recall what exactly it was months later. So - any creative names are lost.

Right after we were seated and began reviewing the menu, we were given an initial amuse bouche. It was two small bites for each of us. The fried black truffle ravioli was amazing. The cheese was interesting as it was served cold but you weren’t expecting it to be especially after the bite of the ravioli.

OBNyy84.jpg

Initial Amuse Bouche - Fried Cheese and Fried Black Truffle Ravioli

We were also given the first two of the four breads of the evening. These were a nice light start to the meal. I also loved the presentation!

zzgYNrm.jpg

Bread 1 & 2 - Cracker and Sticks

After we ordered our meal and selected the wine the waiter recommended for us (which was cheap at only 45 Euros but he raved about it and it was worthy of that praise), we were given another welcome bite or four. I remember the shrimp chip with the seaweed foam being one of the worst bites I’ve ever had and I like shrimp chips and I eat sushi with seaweed (I mean, you read what I ate at Morimotos) but there was something really imbalanced about that dish that made me create a look on my face that my husband still teases me about months later. The seafood macaron was a lovely creative touch. The slider, while tasty, was huge for an amuse bouche prior to having multiple courses on the way. I don't remember anything about the third dish at this point. My husband doesn’t either which means it probably was passable but forgettable.

ILBbApW.jpg

2nd Amuse Bouche - All Together

167FpiU.jpg

Amuse Bouche #1 - Cheese Filled Slider w/ Cured Meat

EmxiFkZ.jpg

Amuse Bouche #2 - Seafood Macaron

01vrP6E.jpg

Amuse Bouche #3 - I haven’t a clue

twFzLdr.jpg

Amuse Bouche #4 -Shrimp Chip w/ Seaweed Foam & Caviar

Once they cleared the amuse bouche, the next bread was delivered. The multigrain was hearty but worked well with the freshly pressed olive oil you could dip it in.

zNIvEkE.jpg

Bread #3 - Multigrain

For my first course, I was really glad I selected the crab ravioli. It was a little out of my norms for ordering but I knew this was the right type of place to do it. These were so light that it didn’t feel like you were eating tons of crab meat inside the pockets but you could taste the flavor of the sweet meat. It also was served with a yellow curry sauce (the little yellow dots) and I loved how much flavor that brought to the pasta. I wish I had more of the stuff!

VC0K5Dj.jpg

Dis_Yoda’s Appetizer - Crab Ravioli

My husband’s first course had entirely too many mushrooms on it for me, even if they were chanterelles. He loved his risotto though. It tasted fresh with the amount of pea shoots and such mixed among the cheesy rice. He did grow tired of the mushrooms though and picked them off, enough that the waiter teased him that he could have just spoken up and the chef would have gladly made it without the mushrooms!

4NTndqy.jpg

Mr. Dis_Yoda’s Appetizer - Pea Risotto w/ Chanterelle Mushrooms

We were then presented the 4th bread of the evening. I like Focaccia but most of this was left behind as I was already getting to a full point and I knew I had an entree coming and most likely dessert.

FPrvNlI.jpg

Bread #4 - Focaccia

For my entree, I went with a perfectly prepared halibut that included white truffles. It was right before the start of the official truffle season and I was so happy to see this on the menu. The halibut was perfectly flaky and the truffles paired nicely with it.

jQEkrp5.jpg

Dis_Yoda’s Entree - Halibut w/ Truffles

My husband went with the Ribeye. This was one of those times where you are at a very fancy dinner and you ordered a dish and then you laugh at the portion size. Yes, it was small; however, the taste packed into those small bites were well worth it. It was tender enough to cut with a fork and with all the other food involved in the evening, it was absolutely the right amount of food to prevent him from rolling out of there.

JcYwS7y.jpg

Mr. Dis_Yoda’s Entree - Ribeye

We reviewed the dessert menu and made our selections. It was nice to see they provided us with a dessert amuse bouche that was opposite of flavors than the main dessert we’ve ordered. I was given a beautiful puzzle that had a dense white chocolate mousse and chocolate shortbread cookies. My husband had a refreshing fruit bite that had wonderful sesame crackers with it. These just felt right considering our next courses would be the opposite of the bite they just gave us.

Ds7UEaE.jpg

Dis_Yoda’s Dessert Amuse Bouche - Chocolate Puzzle

BXmNBsh.jpg

Mr. Dis_Yoda’s Dessert Amuse Bouche - Orange Slices w/ Sesame Seed Crackers

I ordered strangely for my dessert. When I saw Reggiano Parmesan Cheese Ice Cream on the menu, I was really intrigued. I figured it would either go over badly or be amazing. In reality, it was neither of those. It really tasted like a parmesan cheese ice cream. It was very heavy and dense and felt like it needed something to cut through it. As I didn’t have something to cut the cheese, it forced me to enjoy it slowly as each bite needed to be savored before taking the next. (Yes, I made that joke...I do classy well)

ex2MM9i.jpg

Dis_Yoda’s Dessert - Reggiano Parmesan Cheese Ice Cream, Steamed Chestnuts and Blackberries Mustard

My husband selected something opposite of me for his dessert. His dessert was so pretty! It sparkled! Who doesn’t love sparkling chocolate caramel? I know we do! This is a winner. He was nice enough to give me a bite and I was in love.

qf1VrgV.jpg

Mr. Dis_Yoda’s Dessert - Caramel Mousse, Orange, Peanuts

Apparently to get a Michelin Star, you need to provide multicourse desserts but not mention it anywhere on the menu. After our plates were cleared, we were presented with another dessert. It was a wonderful selection of chocolates, including a creative chocolate pencil. There was two of each type so you got to taste each one. My favorite was the raspberry while my husband was partial to the lemon chocolate.

1d6Snmi.jpg
6gVJRUS.jpg

Dessert #3 - Chocolates

After we paid our bill, we were presented a lovely box of chocolate covered almonds to take home with us. Overall, this meal was a great experience. They truly took to making food that looked artistic and really thought about the plate they used while still being tasty (for the most part.) The cost was significantly cheaper than L’Olivo as it ended up at $325 on my credit card bill. That said, I could tell the difference in service between the two places as some things were just slightly oddly paced when you compared it to the other meal. I also felt there was too much to the amuse bouches at the beginning. 6 small plates is a lot when you aren’t deciding to do a tasting menu for your meal. That said, I would still go back here in a heartbeat!

0iChEES.jpg

Parting Gift - Chocolate Covered Almonds

OMG!! The meals you have had! What an incredible string of experiences!! I've fallen so far behind on reports I don't even know where to start with comments. LOL, oddly, it is the hallway entrance with those gorgeous (purple?) chadelliers that caught my attention. I find I really can't enjoy a meal if the decor of the restaurant doesn't adequately reflect the mood/tone. The food and decor both seemed incredibly creative!!

I’m all caught up! You’ve had so awesome trips. Okay where to start.

I am totally with you on River Journey. I don’t get it. It’s nothing special and I would flip out if I waited 3 hours just for that ride. FOP was worth it though. Love!

Your race experience looked fun! And bottomless mimosas are calling my name. My hubby and I would take that down!

Sometimes reservations don’t work out and eating in the room happens. You can’t go wrong relaxing in the room when you need it.

Your meals in Italy look outstanding. What a cool experience.

Sorry to hear about your fur baby. I can only imagine how difficult that is. Hugs to you.

Another amazing meal! So cool you were able to snag those reservations. Laughing a bit at the Russian lady who wanted to walk up... she’d be in trouble at Disney! Interesting on the multiple dessert trend. Wonder if it’s in the Michelin code or whatever they use to determine the ratings. That shrimp chip does not sound good to me at all. The rest looks delicious and so pretty! Thanks again for sharing!

Good luck in the race next weekend. I’m sure you’ve seen the forecast... 30s!?! :cold:

OBNyy84.jpg

Initial Amuse Bouche - Fried Cheese and Fried Black Truffle Ravioli
Wow, this looks and sounds amazing. I'm a sucker for anything truffle so I would have been in heaven.

167FpiU.jpg

Amuse Bouche #1 - Cheese Filled Slider w/ Cured Meat
I agree this looks large for an amuse, but that said it looks delicious.

VC0K5Dj.jpg

Dis_Yoda’s Appetizer - Crab Ravioli
Very impressive! Good thing you branched out so you could try this and I could see it :-)

For my entree, I went with a perfectly prepared halibut that included white truffles. It was right before the start of the official truffle season and I was so happy to see this on the menu. The halibut was perfectly flaky and the truffles paired nicely with it.

jQEkrp5.jpg
And more truffles. Wow on wow on wow. I don't think I've ever seen truffles paired with fish before. Sounds like a great combo!

It was a wonderful selection of chocolates, including a creative chocolate pencil. There was two of each type so you got to taste each one. My favorite was the raspberry while my husband was partial to the lemon chocolate.

1d6Snmi.jpg
Spectacular!!!! Looks like that Michelan star was well earned.

Your husband’s ribeye on the giant plate cracks me up and his dessert looked wonderful! I’m not sure how I would feel about cheese ice cream or candy pencils! Haha

OMG!! The meals you have had! What an incredible string of experiences!! I've fallen so far behind on reports I don't even know where to start with comments. LOL, oddly, it is the hallway entrance with those gorgeous (purple?) chadelliers that caught my attention. I find I really can't enjoy a meal if the decor of the restaurant doesn't adequately reflect the mood/tone. The food and decor both seemed incredibly creative!!

It was some great experiences throughout the trips! The chandlers were actually clear but had purple lights inside. Magnolia was definitely one of the prettiest restaurants I've been inside. They totally embraced their "Table Art" Theme!

I’m all caught up! You’ve had so awesome trips. Okay where to start.

I am totally with you on River Journey. I don’t get it. It’s nothing special and I would flip out if I waited 3 hours just for that ride. FOP was worth it though. Love!

Your race experience looked fun! And bottomless mimosas are calling my name. My hubby and I would take that down!

Sometimes reservations don’t work out and eating in the room happens. You can’t go wrong relaxing in the room when you need it.

Your meals in Italy look outstanding. What a cool experience.

Sorry to hear about your fur baby. I can only imagine how difficult that is. Hugs to you.

I need to catch up across some other reports to! Seems like there is always something to do or read!

I'm glad you're with me on River Journey! I don't get how it still is maintaining hour(s) long waits! I'm exciting we got our FP+ for FOP on Friday! Glad to be doing that again!

Yeah - plans change. Things happen but at least we were at a hotel with decent room service! Boardwalk probably has one of the most extensive menus since you can get food from any of their restaurants as well. Grand Floridian is probably the only one that beats it!

Thank you about Jafar :) We gave him a great life but still feels like something is missing in our home. I hope we get a puppy from the upcoming litter from the breeder we've been talking to.

Another amazing meal! So cool you were able to snag those reservations. Laughing a bit at the Russian lady who wanted to walk up... she’d be in trouble at Disney! Interesting on the multiple dessert trend. Wonder if it’s in the Michelin code or whatever they use to determine the ratings. That shrimp chip does not sound good to me at all. The rest looks delicious and so pretty! Thanks again for sharing!

Good luck in the race next weekend. I’m sure you’ve seen the forecast... 30s!?! :cold:

She would be in trouble at Disney! My husband actually had made a comment about how Disney has prepared us well to know we need reservations most of the time. I rather have a reservation that wasn't really needed than not have one and get locked out! Maybe the multiple desserts is part of the Michelin Code...I haven't a clue! I just know they are wonderful with service and food.

Yeah - that shrimp chip was interesting. It seemed so out of place from everything else that was provided. It happens though - maybe by doing too many amuse bouches, it statistically creates more options that fail.

Glad I'm not racing next weekend! I will be cheering on only! My husband is running the marathon. I'm planning on handing out beer during the 10K for my lovely Disboard friends until about 7:30AM. I do need to make sure I pack some warm winter clothes for that though.

gqVmFoL.jpg

yPymHw7.jpg

Wow, this looks and sounds amazing. I'm a sucker for anything truffle so I would have been in heaven.
It is funny how we love truffle but hate mushrooms, isn't it?

I agree this looks large for an amuse, but that said it looks delicious.
Can't go wrong with cheese filled goodness!

Very impressive! Good thing you branched out so you could try this and I could see it :-)
Well, when in Rome...

It was such a pretty dish! I loved how pretty all there stuff was!

And more truffles. Wow on wow on wow. I don't think I've ever seen truffles paired with fish before. Sounds like a great combo!
I imagine if we were in Rome about 2 weeks later - it would have been full White Alba season everywhere. I may have entered truffle overload though if we went then.

Spectacular!!!! Looks like that Michelan star was well earned.
Totally!

Your husband’s ribeye on the giant plate cracks me up and his dessert looked wonderful! I’m not sure how I would feel about cheese ice cream or candy pencils! Haha

It does crack me up too! The flavors were wonderful at least!

Cheese Ice Cream was unique. I'm glad I tried it but not sure I would do it again. The candy pencils were fine! Just pure chocolate so super tasty!

Sounds like another fabulous meal! Strange that there were so many components to the Amuse Bouche. The Parmesan ice cream sounded odd, sort of like garlic ice cream (like they serve at the garlic festival in Gilroy).

Not a bad price at all for everything you got!

Sounds like another fabulous meal! Strange that there were so many components to the Amuse Bouche. The Parmesan ice cream sounded odd, sort of like garlic ice cream (like they serve at the garlic festival in Gilroy).

Not a bad price at all for everything you got!

It was a great meal! Glad many of you thought the amount of amuse bouche was odd. Makes me feel like I wasn't too out of place!

When Remy first opened, they had Olive Oil Ice Cream on top of their initial dish. That was a good savory ice cream. Garlic ice cream could work with certain dishes I bet!

I was really happy at that price! I spent more on Christmas at Shula's and didn't have nearly the same food quality. It was a great meal but not as great as this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter