• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1 wdw splurge?

Every splurge I have tried, hind site I didn't think the splurge was worth it, perfectly fun but overpriced IMHO. I think the value is in a normal park day. The last splurge I tried was the Keys to the Kingdom tour. Do know that I have a personality that looks a lot at value the costs of things vs. my perceived value. But maybe not too much or why did I ever try these things in the first place -- maybe a love for Disney and their excellent marketing.

I've done Hoop Dee Doo, Polynesian Lua, overpriced dinner for special seating at DHS nighttime show, rented the little speed boats, did the special land / sea boat ride by the boathouse at Disney Springs, After hours Christmas Party (too crowded - normal park day much better IMHO). Although all fun, hind site not really worth it IMHO.

For future my only splurge at a park will be a Mickey Bar and only in the US. The ones in Europe don't taste the same (European Union reduces the sugar content on these at Disneyland Paris). And yes, I could buy those at Walmart, but that would be a whole box and one per trip is is good and the right splurge for me and all I will do as a splurge for the future lol.

For one to try, but only if it were free ($s too much IMHO) and I haven't done this would be the Wild Africa Trek. It looked like a great idea till I priced it out.

Last edited:

I have not done Wild Africa Trek, but it is definitely the one I would want to do the most. Usually it's just a time thing as I tend to take short trips and never feel that I want to devote so much time to it. It looks amazing though.

I have not done Wild Africa Trek, but it is definitely the one I would want to do the most. Usually it's just a time thing as I tend to take short trips and never feel that I want to devote so much time to it. It looks amazing though.
Agree - it probably took us 4-5 trips where we were "thinking" about it, until we actually set aside time to do it!

We're splurging quite a bit on this trip. But we never had a honeymoon and we're renewing our vows in June and then finally taking one.

Off the top of my head

-Our deluxe monorail resort
-Hired car to/from resort
-ADR dinner every night/signature dining
-DAH tickets to both events taking place during our trip

I am happy to see so many people recommending the Wild Africa Trek. I have it booked for my upcoming trip! My second splurge was the Post Fireworks Desert Party. Fingers crossed for good weather!! 🤞

I am not sure what my answer would be, but I know unequivocally what my husband would answer - a bass fishing excursion. He did one last year for the first time, just him and the guide on Bay Lake, and he says it was worth every penny and wants to make sure he does it again on any/all future trips, if possible. The guide was knowledgeable, the experience was serene, and the fishing was great.

The After Hours event we did at HS was with every cent and more! We loaded up on snacks and basically had the park to ourselves. Galaxy’s Edge was completely empty, and we rode ROTR 3 times, every time a walk on. Our fridge was full for days with the free drinks we took back with us!😆

Lately my splurge has been the resort.
But if we are talking paid activities my favorite is the Christmas party.
I also did the Frozen dessert party a couple of times and really enjoyed that.

After Hours Event. That's what I am doing this trip. I've done the parties before and being able to just wander around, no planning, no crowds, no lines, well worth it.

MK Dessert Party we did once (the during the show one), and it cost a fraction back then over what it does now. I didn't really think it was worth it when it was only around $30 / person, so definitely not worth it now. It was nice to have a seat and be covered because it actually rained on our dessert party night, but other than that, not worth it. I would rather grab a snack and watch fireworks for free somewhere else or possibly look into a meal that has seating.

Never done a Disney tour, but Busch Gardens use to have a tour that cost around $100 per person, and it was more than worth it. I think its like $400 now, though. Highly, recommend it, though, if it is something someone can afford. I have no desire to go any other way. Busch Gardens shuts all their rides down all the time because of lightning. I've found it's almost impossible to ride anything without the tour because rides will only be running for 5 to 20 minutes at a time in the summer, so you need the front of the line access to jump on right away when they are up.

If you are talking "events" and not upgrading my hotel - and only picking from things available now - I'd pick an After Hours Event. Wild Africa Trek would be up there, too - but I admit - I would not do that solo again.

We're splurging quite a bit on this trip. But we never had a honeymoon and we're renewing our vows in June and then finally taking one.

Off the top of my head

-Our deluxe monorail resort
-Hired car to/from resort
-ADR dinner every night/signature dining
-DAH tickets to both events taking place during our trip

What hired car company do you recommend

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter