• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

10/1/21 (Planning thread for those w/ Magic Kingdom ressies on the BIG 50th)!

We are 12 days out!!!

I’m hoping we hear something more concrete from Disney in the coming days. On our touring plan (haha as if we will stick to it), I have a big ol’ “break” in the AM in anticipation of something (anything!) happening that morning.

I wonder if any of the celebrities and Disney VIP who are appearing in the (mostly/all pre-taped?) ABC special will appear. I’d love to see some old-timer CMs (love how Disney has been highlighting the opening day staff recently) and Imagineers. How cool would it be if Joe Rohde made an appearance? Would Julie Andrews be there as she was in the Opening Day special?

Will we get special rare character appearances? I’d love a selfie style pic with the Orange Bird. Will we have perhaps a smaller rendition of the glorious marching band/chorus as on Opening Day? Maybe some of the original members?

Is this all just a pipe dream?!

And I’m hoping the cold front hitting Orlando and bringing a high of 77 this Thursday makes another appearance on 10/1. Now there’s a dream for you.

We are 12 days out!!!

I’m hoping we hear something more concrete from Disney in the coming days. On our touring plan (haha as if we will stick to it), I have a big ol’ “break” in the AM in anticipation of something (anything!) happening that morning.

I wonder if any of the celebrities and Disney VIP who are appearing in the (mostly/all pre-taped?) ABC special will appear. I’d love to see some old-timer CMs (love how Disney has been highlighting the opening day staff recently) and Imagineers. How cool would it be if Joe Rohde made an appearance? Would Julie Andrews be there as she was in the Opening Day special?

Will we get special rare character appearances? I’d love a selfie style pic with the Orange Bird. Will we have perhaps a smaller rendition of the glorious marching band/chorus as on Opening Day? Maybe some of the original members?

Is this all just a pipe dream?!

And I’m hoping the cold front hitting Orlando and bringing a high of 77 this Thursday makes another appearance on 10/1. Now there’s a dream for you.
Your "pipe dream" plans sound wonderful. Too bad you are not in charge of the day's festivities. We have no plans for that day other than hoping there is a ceremony and would love to get on some of the original attractions. Getting excited!!

So excited to be spending the 50th in the MK with my mom and 20 year old stepdaughter!

Two littles (3 & 7) are staying home with DH but we’re all going back together in November so I don’t feel AS guilty! I just didn’t think it would make sense to bring them knowing the crowds and lines will be insane.

I’ll also be 12 weeks pregnant so there will be many rides I can’t do this trip; which I guess actually works out well since it will give me more time to slow down and soak it all in.

We are super excited!

This is my wife's concern as well. I am not sure there is a good place to see everything, but I am not an expert on fireworks viewing.

I was wondering if the train station area is open for fireworks? I know the train itself is still closed, so probably not, but I think that would be a great place to see it all.

wondering how early they will let us in or line up.. I think for 45th they let us in main street and merch at 6 am...?

Is there any chance access to MK could be blocked later in the day on 10/1 if you have an MK park pass? We have 2 young kids and are thinking about waiting until later in the day to head into the park especially if the crowds are crazy. We have an MK park reservation for the day, but my fear is if we don’t head to the park until like 4 and a ton of people have hopped over there we could be denied access. Is that possible or is the park pass solid confirmation regardless of capacity?

I guess the side question could be “how do they determine when capacity is reached“? Is it based on the number of reservations plus people who have hopped in, or solely on number of people currently in the park?

Is there any chance access to MK could be blocked later in the day on 10/1 if you have an MK park pass? We have 2 young kids and are thinking about waiting until later in the day to head into the park especially if the crowds are crazy. We have an MK park reservation for the day, but my fear is if we don’t head to the park until like 4 and a ton of people have hopped over there we could be denied access. Is that possible or is the park pass solid confirmation regardless of capacity?

I guess the side question could be “how do they determine when capacity is reached“? Is it based on the number of reservations plus people who have hopped in, or solely on number of people currently in the park?

I would highly doubt it. I’ve seen people expressing the opinion that this will happen, but the whole point of the park pass is that you are allowed entry the whole day and are counted towards capacity whether you are in the park or not. So they will turn away park hoppers when the capacity is reached, even if 5,000 people with MK park passes aren’t in the park because that spot is already “taken” due to the park reservation system. Now obviously, no one knows exactly how this will be handled because no park hoppers have ever been denied thus far since park hopping was reinstated post-COVID. I can only imagine the outrage from people who left to take a midday break from the madness or people like me who are crazy enough to attempt to park hop elsewhere for the afternoon (I feel like animal kingdom could be a nice respite from the craziness and with my short trip I really want to see kitetails!) and aren’t allowed back in but park hoppers were. Someone else posted recently they called to confirm that this exact situation won’t happen.

So I feel confident we are safe. But no one REALLY knows, so I suppose it’s try at your own risk. But it’s a risk I’m taking and not worrying about! :)

UPDATE: We did a chat with guest relations and this is what they said:
"Because it Is the first day of the 50th Anniversary, it is a possibility that it can reach capacity." So we asked, "So even with a park reservation you're not guaranteed access?" and they responded, "On very busy days, it is a possibility if you do not arrive at opening. Especially on that day." We then asked about what to do with a ticket we paid for if we can't get into the park and they said, "A Cast Member at ticketing can offer you a reservation at another park or refund."

...So with that in mind, I think we're going to go back to our original plan of getting to the park no later than 1 just in case it reaches capacity when hopping opens up at 2.

UPDATE: We did a chat with guest relations and this is what they said:
"Because it Is the first day of the 50th Anniversary, it is a possibility that it can reach capacity." So we asked, "So even with a park reservation you're not guaranteed access?" and they responded, "On very busy days, it is a possibility if you do not arrive at opening. Especially on that day." We then asked about what to do with a ticket we paid for if we can't get into the park and they said, "A Cast Member at ticketing can offer you a reservation at another park or refund."

...So with that in mind, I think we're going to go back to our original plan of getting to the park no later than 1 just in case it reaches capacity when hopping opens up at 2.

The Disney online guest services I talked to said - if you have Park Reservations and leave, even if the park fills up and reaches capacity with Park Hoppers, you can get in.
Now, my question was about 'If I enter the park and leave' - not 'If I have a park reservation and have not gone into the park'. Maybe that's the issue - if you go in, you're counted towards the total, but if you don't - they release those 'reservation slot capacity' after Park Hopping starts?

I’m reading reports that they have already put out a lot of the 50th merchandise and some item as are already sold out, like the Loungefly bag. I’m really disappointed in Disney at this.

I’m reading reports that they have already put out a lot of the 50th merchandise and some item as are already sold out, like the Loungefly bag. I’m really disappointed in Disney at this.
It’s a 16 or maybe even 18 month celebration, 99% of it will be restocked or there will be even more new merch to replace it. Completely agree that it will be frustrating if they are out of an item on the actual anniversary date because they were selling it 2 weeks early though. We have pin traders in my family and I would say there is 0% change those will be left by the time the anniversary comes in a couple weeks. I’m assuming they must be holding back some things for the actual date too.

The Disney online guest services I talked to said - if you have Park Reservations and leave, even if the park fills up and reaches capacity with Park Hoppers, you can get in.
Now, my question was about 'If I enter the park and leave' - not 'If I have a park reservation and have not gone into the park'. Maybe that's the issue - if you go in, you're counted towards the total, but if you don't - they release those 'reservation slot capacity' after Park Hopping starts?
That’s interesting. I would have thought it’s if you enter and leave, that spot then becomes available for others to “hop” into the park. Some aspect of the reservation count must be what’s used to open availability for hopping since almost every day that reservations were at capacity, you could still hop to the park at 2:00.

To those of you getting different responses from CMs about getting closed out with a reservation, I’ve noticed that I get drastically different answers from CMs, even if I ask the same question on the same day. I just went through this recently when I was trying to bridge my vacation tickets into an AP. I think especially now with covid, they’re not necessarily in a department that they’re used to and don’t always have the most accurate information. I think that beating park hoppers to MK is probably the safest route, or at least that’s what I’m personally planning to do. I have a breakfast reservation at GF Cafe, so I do plan on leaving to go do that unless it looks like we won’t be able to get back in. In that case, I’d rather take no show fee lol.

I do wish they’d release a schedule of ceremonies or something, though. I have a couple ADRs that it’d be great to plan around/cancel if they clash with something we want to do, and I’m sure a lot of you are in the same boat.

That’s interesting. I would have thought it’s if you enter and leave, that spot then becomes available for others to “hop” into the park. Some aspect of the reservation count must be what’s used to open availability for hopping since almost every day that reservations were at capacity, you could still hop to the park at 2:00.
Any day outside of 10/1 I wouldn’t have a worry about leaving and coming back. But on that one day, once 2pm hits I plan to stay put, if I want to leave earlier I will but I plan to be back in by 2. It’s not worth the risk to me, I have a feeling people may try to hop for the fireworks, and I don't want to risk it. We just don’t actually know how they will handle it.

Edited since parenting and typing obviously isn’t my strong area.

Last edited:
I’ve had park and resort reservations for months now, not really sure if I’d actually pull the trigger on a quick trip for the 50th. I finally booked flights! My dd’s 15th birthday is on 10/1 and my 50th birthday is a few days prior. This will be a surprise trip for my dd and will be all about celebrating our birthdays together, taking in the atmosphere, seeing the new nighttime show, and some shopping. Hopefully, too, we’ll get to experience RAT on Saturday!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter