11 1/2 hr flight with 14 month old monster

alexandra uk

DIS Veteran
I've had a letter this morning from my tour operator, to say that my flight, will no longer be direct to Sanford, and departing at 10.30am - now it will depart at 7.55am, and make a stop at another airport to pick other passengers up.
As you can imagine, I am not very happy about this.
I was absolutly dreading the 9 hr flight with my son, and now theres another 2 1/2 hrs on the plane, and we're now going to have to check into the airport at 4am :eek: ( I didn't prebook my seats, so I need to be there early )
He becomes restless in the car after 1/2 an hour, so imagine 11 hours on top of that :eek:
Its put a bit of a dampner on things really, because there is going to be nothing I can do to keep him entertained for that long.
Are you allowed to walk up and down with them ?

(((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))) It will be hard but it can be done.... We flew 9 hours from Chicago to Maui with a 2 year old and a 6 month old...... Here are some tips....

Masking tape or scotch tape makes a wonderful distraction..... they can tape up the whole seat area, you, them.... and it easy to clean up. This kept our two year old happy for an hour.....

We packed a lot of zip lock baggies each filled with a handful of treats.... one had grapes, another raisins, cherrios, cucumbers ETC.... not a lot in each bag.... just enough so they were kept busy for a bit....

We did walk the aisles a bit but really tried to use that as a last resort.... once they get out of the seat it is harder to get them back in! LOL Diaper changes we a bear since the plane did not have a changing station......... we used to floor.... (Bring 10 more diapers then you think you will need.... in case you get delayed)

See if you can get off the plane for a quick run around during the stop.... you may be able to you may not.... BUT DO run around a lot before getting on the first plane.....

I also started buying a bunch of little toys (small play-dohs, mini barbis', hot wheel cars etc) and gift wrapped each of them.... I had enough little toys for the two year old to open one every 30 minutes! LOL BTW we only needed 1/2 of what I bought! LOL

Story books, coloring books..... etc.

We have our carryon packed to the gills! LOL But it worked.

Also as hard as it will be....... try very hard to get a good nights rest..... you will need it. :)

If you have anymore questions (or fears) let me know....

Oh and as a back up I also had some Benydryl....... but it wasnt needed...... (it knocks my kids out)

and I thought I was dreading the 7 hours (give or take) flight with my 3 kids that it's going to take us to go cross country to DL!!

When my kids were that small, I'd let them climb up and down out of their seat, stand on the floor and use their seat as a table, and we'd walk the aisles a bit. My feeling is that *sitting* the whole time isn't mandatory as long as they are being well-behaved about it and not bothering the other passengers excessively! In all honesty, wouldn't you prefer to see a happy, active child rather than listen to a crying miserable child?

Small toys, snacks, favorite blanket and/or stuffed animals were a must for us. And my kids have listened to music with headphones since they were rather small (although 14 months may be a bit too young yet...)...it definitely helps to keep them occupied.....oh and Dramamine (or similar motion-sickness prevention medicine) really makes my kids sleepy. We always use it, because DH gets motion sickness on airplanes, and we figure better safe than sorry with the kids!

Good luck! and have a great vacation!

Here's just a few more quite activies I haves use in the past.

Stickers and blank paper.
colorforms. They stick well to the windows.
Lots of story books to read to him.
Puppets
pipe cleaners to be twisted into all kinds of fun shapes
Make the snacks "fun" to get some play value out of them EX. teddy grahams, goldfish crackers, animal crackers, fun shaped fruit snacks.
MOM- Face it you will have to spend much of the time playing with him.

jordan's mom

I don't know if they have it in the UK, but talk with your pediatrician about BENADRYL.

Originally posted by honeymom
I don't know if they have it in the UK, but talk with your pediatrician about BENADRYL.

Yikes your right about that..... it was suggested by our ped for our oldest (3 1.5)

Younger kids it is prolly a no no..... Sorry about that.

Benedryl or Gravol (Dramamine) will work wonders for making kids sleepy. Dramamine also prevents motion sickness.

Another idea that worked great for us when we were travelling cross country with a 3yo and 18mo old...

I bought some of those paint with water books (they have little dots all over the pictures and you just use a wet paintbrush to create the colors). Instead of a paintbrush I took a ziploc bag full of wet q-tips. For some reason it kept my 3yo entertained for over an hour!

Originally posted by reveric

I bought some of those paint with water books (they have little dots all over the pictures and you just use a wet paintbrush to create the colors). Instead of a paintbrush I took a ziploc bag full of wet q-tips. For some reason it kept my 3yo entertained for over an hour!

Oooooooohhhhhh I really like that idea!!!! Good one!

We are worried about a 3-hour flight with a 15 month old. (I think) I can sympathize with you!

I have gotten some great ideas from these boards...

Here's a recap...

Sticker book
pen light/flashlight
Pipe Cleaners
Color Forms
Magic Coloring Book
Magna Doodle - travel size
Mini Snacks (grapes, rasins, cheerios, teddy grahams)
Scotch Tape

We have a 7:00 am flight, so we also plan on getting 15-mo old DS up at 4:00 am with us to try to get him to sleep on the plane. ha ha!

Good Luck!

If he/she dosen't put things in the mouth we love "model magic". It comes in individual pouches, much like playdough but neater.

Benedryl makes some kids sleepy - but some kids hyper. And it IS drugging your kids. If you want to drug him, talk to your peditrician about getting something perscribed thats a little more dependable than Benedryl - or at least make sure you try it and see how your kid reacts.

Well I had backpacks packed with lots of neat stuff in them for my 2yo twins, but in the rush at 4am, I forgot them:eek:

But we did purchase a portable DVD player that you can use on the plane. It was a pricey investment, however it worked for us and it was well worth it. We had about a 5 hour trip with a stop. I will be using it again on this upcoming trip, it will be the first thing pack!!

Here is a great thing that worked for us on our last trip to Disney. Our daughter was almost two and we bought a big pack of multi colored post it notes. It kept her occupied for a very long time. Good luck on your trip!

Originally posted by mom2lilo
we bought a big pack of multi colored post it notes. It kept her occupied for a very long time.

LOL!!! That's so funny! My DS (now 11.5) used to stick post-it's EVERYWHERE! May seem odd, but you're right......little kids find them so darned entertaining! With a long flight, you could *decorate* the whole plane! :p

A headphone with her fav children's tape is so nice. My twins used to love Barney and this worked well (I bought split headsets so both could listen) They may sing a bit out loud but it is cute.

You should get hold of those peelable and reusable scene with plastic pictures. That is great! One airline had them to give away but don't count on it now. Any children's store should have them.

A child that age may love to get her first barbie like I did. (unless you are against them!)

Also, I agree that Benadryl can send some kids right around the bend with hyperactivity! My one son does!

Don't forget a glass of wine will relax you but watch out for dehydration on all counts for everyone!
BIG HUG to you!

Yikes, 11 1/2 hours! Best wishes to you and your family!!

Our 2yo will be on her fourth flight (first flight at 14 months) in early Nov. - I have gotten great suggestions from these boards for activities. But I have to say the things that have kept her occupied the most were:

1) the "sky" telephone: she loves playing with this the best! She would play a little with the activities that I brought but always go back to the telephone, pretending to call everyone she could think of!! :D

2) the window shade: She loves playing "peek-a-boo" with the clouds! We would take her out of her car seat during non-turbulent times and have her sit on our laps so she could play and get some mommy/daddy huggy time in too.

We also always bring some of her favorite stories which we read several times. She would also look up at the movie monitors now and then espcially if it was a cartoon type movie. She doesn't like headphones so we've never gotton those.

DD also just did terrific on an 11 hour trip by car mostly due to our laptop computer DVD player. If you have access to a laptop DVD I would highly recommend it!!!! We brought along Elmo, Sesame Street, Muppets, Toy Stoy, and SpongeBob DVD's and this kept her occupied enough that she actually did not get to fussy about being in the car seat.

Best wishes to you!!
Gi

Talk to a doctor about valium.

Your child will still be a handful but you won't care as much!

Peggy

Originally posted by crisi
Benedryl makes some kids sleepy - but some kids hyper.

That is what happened to my DD. She became, what is the best description for it...ah....POSSESSED on our plane trip home from WDW for five hour flight. It was definately a terrible trip!

1) At most ariports, you can rent portable DVD players & movies.
2) They are only few dollars per day.
3) Even keeps adults happy during the flight (LOL).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter