11 1/2 hr flight with 14 month old monster

I don't know if you already have your seat assignemets as of yet but it might be a good idea to check and see if the front row seats are available. We have a DS who is a special needs child and when we travel we always ask for those seats so he can get out of the seat. The front rows have a lot more room to sit on the floor and spread out games toys etc and also there is not anyone in front of you to worry about (kicking, noise etc.) I know we have always had to call the airline direct and explain why we need them . They will not promise them to you but will make a note in the computer . We have only had a problem once and a wonderful , wonderful lady from these boards who worked for the airline was able to get them for us.. I love these baords. Good luck!!!!!

What an informative thread this is turning out to be. Great suggestions everyone. I love the paint with water and q-tip idea!

I have a 3 1/2 year old and a 17 month old (a VERY active one). We fly periodically and I have tried nearly everything (or so I thought until the q-tip painting thing!). All the above suggestion are fabulous and have worked well for me in the past. I just want to add a couple more that have been helpful to us.

1)rent a DVD player. This was already mentioned but I want to give you a site. www.inmotionpictures.com You can rent the DVD at your airport (their site lists their locations and options if they don't have a store at either your departing or arriving airport). You can actually reserve your player and your DVD's on line. We usually pick one up at our airport and when we arrive, drop it off at that airport or keep it with us for the duration of the trip. THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST THING EVER!! I no longer dread flying with my children. Well, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it does make it much more bearable.

2) Magnetic boards. They are like colorforms. Toys'R Us has them. There is a scenery board, like a farm or doll house, and magnetic figures for the board.

Good Luck.

I have a 9 hour flight (with a further 2 hours when I get to the US) to look forward to with a 4 & 6 year old who have never flown before, so THANK YOU for all the ideas. Now, what suggestions do you have for a harrassed mother who's already worrying (3 months in advance) about the flight. I've been to the US many times (even lived there for a while!), but I've never been this nervous about the flight before. If I wasn't travelling with the kids I'd take something to knock myself out!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter