12/09/06 Cruise Continued ~ Pirating Bananas DIS Geekorama Part 2 Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
87Heel said:
OK, Brack, since you've been driving the roads of Maryland, West Virginia and Kentucky quite often....
what route would you take from the Philly suburbs to Rogers, Kentucky?? Online map sites are giving me different answers, of course.

It looks like the PA turnpike to I79 south. At Charleston, WV take I64 west to Louisville then south to Rogers. I prefer to stick to interstates.

That's a long drive!

BuzzBoyMom said:
Can't I be an honorary Tarheel....even if just for the cruise...I went to UNC-Wilmington! I fell in love with the beach and couldn't move up to CH.

UNCW is close enough but you have to change the color to Carolina Blue and it is a Tarheel not a Sea Hawk. I do have their fight song and will try to post it somehow for you.

lbgraves said:
That's great, Marielle! Now they just need to get a football team. :rolleyes1 ;) I'm sorry! I just couldn't resist!!!!

Unfortunately even we dyed in the wool (light blue dye) Tarheels realize this as well. The only good thing about the Tarheel football games are the before and after parties.

All caught up and now JoJo wants me to stop and feed him. Later guys.

pyramid2000 said:
Oh I wasn't referring to the posts themselves, just you "last one" comment before you posted about 5 more! :lmao:

oh!! :rotfl:

brack said:
UNCW is close enough but you have to change the color to Carolina Blue and it is a Tarheel not a Sea Hawk. I do have their fight song and will try to post it somehow for you.

Believe me....we watched both teams at most sporting events...the Tarheels via tv but our bird at the games.

shhhh....pulling another brandi....

..... the familiy we are traveling with just asked me if DCL is strict with the kids ages on excursions. We never did an excursion with DCL where we had to worry about the ages. Either our kids were old enough or we did stuff on our own. I would expect the ages to be pretty strict, meaning a 4 1/2 YO couldn't do an excursion for 5 and above. Anyone have direct experience?

BuzzBoyMom said:
shhhh....pulling another brandi....

..... the familiy we are traveling with just asked me if DCL is strict with the kids ages on excursions. We never did an excursion with DCL where we had to worry about the ages. Either our kids were old enough or we did stuff on our own. I would expect the ages to be pretty strict, meaning a 4 1/2 YO couldn't do an excursion for 5 and above. Anyone have direct experience?

on Dis and Carnival that they check and because of the insurance of the tour operator, usually will not waive it. happened on our recent Carnival cruise. Liz is 2 weeks away from 12 and they won't waive the age reqirement.

pyramid2000 said:
I found out what the preschool drama was. There is a mom who is a bit, shall we say, overprotective. I am sure there is reason so I don't want to judge. The kids were taking a field trip to Acme today and the mom (yesterday) was saying her DD is scared of stores. OK? :confused3 One of the teachers was telling her about what they would be doing, kinda trying to show her it is fun. (the mom also says DD has issues at school, but the teachers don't see it) One of the things she mentioned was that they explain where things come from. Ya know, milk from a cow, eggs from a chiicken, potatoes from the ground. She then started to tell her about the kids usual favorite part: going in with the butcher where they would learn that the chicken nuggets they eat comes from a chicken and not McDonalds and such. Well this mom was horrified and said "But they are just babies!!" OK? I guess she continued with this until the teacher finally said "No, they are not babies!" I heard the mom talking about it a bit after school yesterday and it sounds like she may not be coming back.

FYI the kids had a great time today at Acme today and they loved the butcher. The little girl wasn't there.

Some kids are going to have a tough time adjusting to the "real world" when they are protected so much. :sad2: My DS was 2 when he literally put 2 and 2 together with the chickens. We were at my grandparents house having lunch and eating chicken. My grandparents happen to have some chickens in their backyard. DS was eating and looking outside at the chickens. About halfway through the meal he gets a strange look and points at his plate and say "chicken?". He then points outside at the chickens in the back yard and "chicken?". It was kind of funny to watch him realize where his chicken tenders really came from. :rotfl:

Actually today at work I think I had a small encounter with one of these "helicopter parents" when their kids grow up. I mentioned the letters we sent out about filling out new state withholding forms, etc.. The Director of Benefits sends me an e-mail and the father of one of our employees got the letter and he was wanting to know how much was currently being withheld from his son's check, etc.. I looked it up on the system thinking it is pretty bad to have Daddy call the Director of Benefits for you but I thought maybe they were just 18/19 and right out of high school. Nope - the employee is 27. :sad2: I would be mortified if even that kind of thought popped into my parents head. What was he thinking? :confused3 :rolleyes:

brack said:
It looks like the PA turnpike to I79 south. At Charleston, WV take I64 west to Louisville then south to Rogers. I prefer to stick to interstates.

That's a long drive!

Yeah, and Thanksgiving weekend, too.
It's a rental cabin, compromise location because family members are in Kansas, Nashville, Charlotte, Baltimore and Philly.

My understanding is that there is no bending of the rules on the excursions think because of the insurance as previously mentioned. If they are a day too young they still cannot go. It really limits what you can do with younger kids.

Just wanted to say "happy packing" to everyone! We leave for the airport in 26 days! :cloud9: The list of things I want to do has become the list of things I Must Do! A special thanks to Kim, we received our DIS bracelets in the mail today. We love them! My DDs are going to start wearing them now. :thumbsup2

Becka are you there still? how many days til we cruise? it has been a real rough couple of weeks and I don't think it will be any easier until the cruise begins. I haven't had time to read the thread and what is really awful is that I can't even begin to do it. I think I will just start from here. I do get to start packing this weekend and can't wait.

Hi Missy!

Trying to check in here and Christmas shop online at the same time.

It is only 31 days until we cruise. We actually leave on the 7th so we are now at 29 days!!! :woohoo:

Looks like we've taken the night off.

thanks becka. I really love seeing your kids in your siggie. I finally started xmas shopping. I got DD a school jacket. she gets a junior varsity letter this year for being in chorus for 2 years. she will get a varisty letter senior year. we got her name stitched on it and her graduation year. I think we are going to get her an ipod but I am not sure which one. DS told me the 3 things he really wants. I need to pick them up but one isn't released for at least two more weeks. It really was much easier when the kids were younger. enjoy them while you can.

Missy

Hey Brack how are you doing? How's JoJo? I had to trim one of our dog's head today. he couldn't see to catch his toys. I called the groomer but they can't get the 2 of them in until the 17th. both of ours look so over grown. I was kind of hoping they could hold off until the end of nov so that they would be nicely groomed while we are gone. our neighbor takes care of them. the dogs really do so much better when they have more interaction but I can't kennel them. we tried it once but they did not do well. the kennels won't put them in the same cage and they don't do well without each other. in a lot of ways, I wish they could come with us but I know that wouldn't work.

pyramid2000 said:
Honestly Lisa, I have been trying unsuccessfully for months! Without a desk, I keep mail and such there. It has gotten better since I have passed on the GS stuff. My biggest problem is finding a place for things.

That is the central location for my pilation method of organization. Everything has to go thru the dining room on its search for a home. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter