12 days in WDW, where we ate...part 5

Erikarate

married her prince
Recap places and players:
Me, DH, DD 8, DS 6
4 days at AKL Concierge, 8 days at BWV (1 BR unit)

Rating Scale:
10- everything perfect...food, service, atmosphere (very rare)
9- excellent, almost perfect
7-8- very good, overall great experience
5-6- mediocre, might not return
3-4- bad, not returning
1-2- should close this place down!!!

Okay. DH and I have been coming to the BoardWalk Villa since 1999 when we became DVC members. We had NEVER been to Flying Fish...though it is quite literally outside our doorstep. After hearing all the great reviews we knew we had to try it.

7/17/03 - dinner, Flying Fish Cafe
We had a 5:30 PS, but arrived at opening as we wanted to go to MK afterward for the fireworks. This was no problem as you can imagine because only a few patrons had arrived at this point.

The decor is very unique. It's a combination of an undersea adventure (i.e. patterns of fish scales in the tile floor and walls, doors etc.) and icons from Coney Island (i.e. murals of the steeplechase...for the old timers who know what that is...my father grew up in Brighton Beach and still tells the same stories about the legacy of Coney Island...also whimsical models of rides such as the parachute jump etc.). I loved it...very NYC-type artsy.

Our waiter was from Morrocco. He gave us great service, and also presented the kids with one of those water games where you have to push a btton and get the rings onto a stick...it was shaped like a fish and they got to keep them.

I started with a roasted corn bisque that had a lobster broth and truffle oil drissled on it. The predominace of the flavor came from the corn with a hint of lobster...sweet and smokey at the same time. Fantastic. DH had Chardonnay steamed mussels with green onion and red pepper...big, plump and juicy flavored to perfection. The broth made for great dipping.

Next course we had a Hail Caesar salad with parmesan crisp and croutons. Very good...pretty self explanatory...

For our entrees: I had the potato wrapped red snapper with Creamy Leek Fondue and Red Wine Reduction. WOW. The presentation was remarkable. They shaved potato slices very thin and wrapped them around the fish so that it was in a little "package". They use Russet potato which has almost a nutty flavor and it was cooked until crisp. The flakiness of the fish, which was a substantial portion, and the wonderful rich sauce and carmelized sweet leeks blended into a culinary masterpiece!!! (OK I'm drooling...can you tell I liked it???)
DH had Monkfish with a risotto and to be honest I was so into my own meal I wasn't paying attention. He can't recall more than that, but said he enjoyed it very much. Both of us agree however that my entree was the winner.

The kids had a romaine salad and mickey pasta.

No room for dessert although we did get something at MK which I'll review next.

Overall rating: 9, will be sure to come back again. A new favorite.

7/17/03 - dessert, Mrs Potts Cupboard, MK
What a nice surprise this place was. MK was so packed this evening, we rode only a ride or two and decided to grab an ice cream and stake a claim for a spot to watch the fireworks. We stumbled upon this place and liked the menu.

I had the strawberry shortcake sundae which had poundcake, soft vanilla ice cream and tons of strawberry topping. DH had a caramel brownie sundae, DD had vanilla ice cream, and DS had a hot fudge sundae. These were GREAT. DS's was the best however...excellent hot fudge, mine was next best.

Overall rating: 8 1/2 for take-out type ice cream...glad to "discover" this place.

More to come in part 6!!!

I'm really enjoying your dining reviews. I love details! Looking forward to the next installment!

Actually, now that I recall...

It was potato bread, but it wasn't made of potato dough, but rather CHUNKS of potato in it...which resembles large balls of uncooked dough...

DH and I picked them out...

Thanks for the Flying Fish review. I know what I'm ordering when we go in August. The snapper sounds fantastic!

We just had our first Flying Fish experience a few weeks ago and WOW!!! We totally loved it. We sat at the "bar" area in front of the kitchen and I was loving it! We had an awesome server, Eric, and it was definatley our favorite meal. We also went to California Grill and we thought the Flying Fish blew it away! I have been wanting to try it the past few trips and I am so glad we finally made it there. Standing out in front of the FF looking around the Boardwalk area is my favorite place in all of WDW, so this just makes it even more of a favorite restaurant for me:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter