$150ish digital camera?

KEMdisney

DIS Veteran
I am so fed up with my camera! Its a Kodak Picture Share, I dont mind the quality of prints but the batteries die after taking 20 or so pictures! I use rechargable AA batteries and its such a pain! I cant put up with this in Disney!

Can anyone suggest a camera to buy? I dont do anything fancy with my pics. Id like a camera with good battery power. Id also like something with a good zoom..nothing too spectacular but I would like to take decent pictures even if I'm not first row at the shows. Im looking to spend about $150. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm partial to Canon for digital still cameras. We have one we bought several years ago for $200 plus that is both excellent quality but also very light with a long lasting battery you recharge maybe once in a weeklong trip.

This type of camera is probably much cheaper now than when I bought it.

The pictures this camera takes are awesome quality.

Another Canon fan here! We bought this one for $140 on special offer from Amazon. It's an absolutely amazing camera (has image stabilization, face detection, red eye correction, all sorts of special effects, etc.) and it's inspired me to learn how to take good photos. I'm determined to have beautiful photos from our vacation this September! I don't know if you could still find it that cheap though.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A720IS/A720ISA.HTM

I have the Canon Powershot A720is and I like it. I paid $200 for it from Staples or OfficeMax or Office Depot. Previously, I had the Canon Powershot A400. They make a newer model of that now, which runs ~$150 and it's a great little auto-focus point-n-shoot. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a400_pg5.html http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A470/A470A.HTM

Dave from IR goes into quite a lot of review detail and extensive testing. I always stop by to look at the latest Dave's Picks before shopping for a new camera.

I recommend Canon, but not one that takes regular AA batteries - the flash recharge time on the A-Series is pretty brutal for that reason. I prefer SD series because they are so small and have their own special batteries.

I have a nice point and shoot 10 megapixel. I'm worried about the zoom though. Is there much need in buying a new camera to zoom in at disney

I've done photography for years and all my SLR equipment is Nikon so I was a bit leary when I needed an inexpensive digital for our anniversary trip last fall. My Nikon digital bit the bucket the week before!!!!! I ran out to Radio Shack and grabbed a Sony CyberShot with the caveat that if I hated it I could bring it back. It was $200 then but is less now. The pictures are fabulous!!!!!

If I get a chance later I'll post one from home of the fireworks that I took of the castle. I was seriously blown away!

I found that one thing to look at as far as batteries is a brand that has their own proprietary battery - not AA's. They last much longer than even rechargeable AA's. And always get a spare - I find in a long day I may have to change batteries. But then it's not unusual for me to take 500 shots in a day.

My Sony DSC-H7 has 15x zoom - I got it for our cruise to Alaska last year and was really glad I did. I got some really good wildlife shots that I would never have gotten with a smaller zoom. I'm sure I'll be glad I have it at Animal Kingdom. But for Disney and the average vacation 5x zoom would probably be great. It all depends on what kind of photographer you are. I just got a FujiFilm waterproof camera that has 3x zoom and it'll be fine for the water rides, etc. One thing that drives me nuts about it is it only has the LCD - no viewfinder. I'm going to have to practice a lot this summer to improve my shots with it.

You can buy kodak batteries for your camera that will last for quite a while. I buy mine off of Ebay. We went to Las Vegas and took over 800 pictures and I still didn't have to change my battery.

I used the Energizer Lithium batteries..the ones you can buy in the grocery store, for my dd's digital camera. I used to have a Canon but handed it off to my dd. She never has an issue with batteries because we have a supply of the Engergizer ones. They work for a really long time. I have a Panasonic now..has it's own rechargable battery and I can't tell you how many times I've come close to missing stuff because I hadn't remembered to charge it.

I love my Olympus Stylus! It takes the most beautiful pictures, even night and lowlight. After many disappointments, this one is a keeper! :thumbsup2

I, too, am looking for an easy use digital camera with a good zoom. I also need to buy a camcorder. I don't want to spend a lot of money on both and just want something easy to use, small and compact. Any advice here would be appreciated. Thanks!

I recommend Canon, but not one that takes regular AA batteries - the flash recharge time on the A-Series is pretty brutal for that reason. I prefer SD series because they are so small and have their own special batteries.

Yeah. The flash recharge is horrendous and is one of the only things I don't like about my Cannon A-series cameras.

I'd love some information/imput on this request as well--BUT I'm looking for something that has a quick shutter speed I think it would be called. I hate the fact that my camera (Sony) takes forever to actually "take" the picture when i press on the button. I want to press and go, not have my picture change as the subject moves or changes!! THANKSSS

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

Here's a list that many people trust.

As has been said in many threads here when the discussion of good, but inexpensive digital cameras comes up, some people's expectations may be a little out of order.

The best thing to do is find one or two models you might like (such as from a respected review site) and then go and see which ones feel best in your hands.

There isn't a "magic" digital camera that everyone seems to wish for (inexpensive, great zoom, good low-light pictures, with fast recycle time between pictures). So, you have to see what is offered and see what is most important to you.

Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter