1st time driving to WDW from Mass... Any tips?

markm0926

Cast Member
we've decided to drive down to WDW next year. we have always flown in.
Any and all tips would be appreciated!

Thanks!!!

We have driven from New Haven, CT area for the last 4 years. We generally leave at midnight to ensure getting through New York and D.C. traffic before rush hours. On the way down we stop for the day in Walterboro, SC and stay at the Holiday Inn there. We swim and relax and have a nice dinner, then go to bed EARLY. We're back on the road around 5:45 a.m. and we're in Orlando by 11:30 a.m. in time for lunch. On the way home we stop in Lumberton, NC at the Holiday Inn and complete the drive the next day. That way nobody gets too tire from the drive and we're not "toast" upon arrival.

Are you planning to take I95? We always do and it's too simple not to.

Good luck and have a great time!

thanks. that sounds like a great plan. we haven't even really mapped out the route yet, just getting started with the planning, but I am sure we'll be on RT95 for most of the trip.

thanks for your tips!!

I've driven down with my parents a few times from MA. We pretty much did the same as Cyndiu. Leave late night, midnight - 2am. We usually stopped around the NC/SC border also. It's not too bad a drive and if you have a few drivers, even better. If you have children, make sure you bring plenty of activities to keep them busy. I know my brother and I gave my parents a few extra gray hairs on those trips. :)
We used 95 also. Coming back we took other highways around NYC because we hit that area during the day.
Have a good trip.

We are DVC members and drive from Mass all the time to save $$. We have a DD who is four and doesn't mind the drive at all. I would definately invest in a tv/vcr combo. If you belong to AAA call them and get a "Trip Tick" it works great. I'm kinda jealous...we are going in January and flying (credit from 9-11 trip we didn't take) and I miss my mini van already. I envy you being able to decide what time you will leave etc. I'm sure you'll have a great trip and invest in a tv/vcr. Mine goes from my kitchen to the car and back. Well worth the money.

We drive down twice a year and my advise would be to avoid the DC area at rush hour!! We leave early in the AM to miss the DC mess, try to plan your drive to avoid it!

<My advice is to change your mind and fly down in 2 hours.>

You can tell they aren't flying out of Logan. LOL 2 hours in line that is and then another 1/2 hour on the runway, then 3 hour flight etc. LOL

You could have driven PA by then.

I drove last Feb/Mar. DH-42, DS-5, Dog-11. That's right - the Dog. Bonnie. LOL She did great.
We left Wakefield at 4 am, went through NYC by 8 am, stopped in Rocky Mount NC around 6 pm. We averaged a 15 minute stop every 2 hours. Averaged 70 mph, just kept up with traffic. I didn't have any problems driving and I did most of the driving not DH. Found the truckers a lot more "respectful" down south than up in this area. Followed AAA trip tik. We left Rocky Mount around 5 am and arrived in Disney about 2 pm, a lot of traffic in the Orlando area (and it was Sunday???), but it moved.

I had a FunTv - it's a portable VCR - No TV. Fits between the 2 front seats, the screen can be put on a back rest of the front seat, or kept in the "bag" it comes in. Also can hook a playstation to it, I think, never looked into that.

I'm with OKW91. We drive down twice a year from S. Central Pa. Just try to time your trip to avoid DC anytime near the AM or PM rush hours. I should add that even at 6:00 AM, the traffic coming North into DC (from Va.) has to be seen to be believed.

Buzz,I thought the same thing which is why we aren't looking forward to Logan. Gotta start flying Manchester ;) .

What kind of videos does the dog like? ;)

<What kind of videos does the dog like?>

The Usual - Old Yeller, 101 Dalmations, Fox and the Hound, Homeward Bound.

I drove down from Wareham once. I would rather stay home than do it again and I love WDW.

We drove from Central Mass at the beginning of December. We opted for the RT 84-81-77-26-95 route on the recommendation of a friend. We loved it! We have driven Rt 95 several times and each time, regardless of the time we leave (usually 4am), 95 is a parking lot.

Going through the lower Blue Ridge Mountains was great. We hit very little traffic,and there were lots of rest areas on 81. We saw many New England plates on that stretch of highway as well.

When we called for our trip ticket and mentioned the Rt 81 route, the AAA person told us he had just arrived back from travelling that way. He recommended it as well.

It's basically a divided two lane highway, with a lot of truck traffic, but it didn't seem to bother me as much as I had feared.

This is our favored route from now on!

How about the 77 and 26 part of that route?? Heard from previous posts about slow traffic and some one-lane areas.

Actually my favorite part of the drive was 77 and 26. We were out of the mountains and into the NC Piedmont area, heading towards the coast. I actually used my cruise control for the first time of the trip on 26.

There can be traffic on 77 around the Charlotte, NC area during rush hour, but we must have missed it. We got a late start that morning, since we drove right into the ice storm they had at the beginning of December. Either that, or everyone stayed home that day.

Oh man!!! Wish this thread had started before I booked my airfare. THat's me...day late, dollar short. Maybe next time we'll drive. Dh was not at all interested in driving it this time. Looks like we could have done it easily. And missed doing the whole Logan experience!!! Ah well.

Am I the only one that doesn't mind Logan at all? We have used it the last 4 trips, and not one problem. Mind you, our trips have always been at 7 am and have always taken a limo to and from. Have landed at 11 pm and still, no problems. Oh well, going again in April. Have a great trip driving!

well we use logan, we are as far south in RI as you can get and drive the 2 hours up just to get direct flights. the RI flights are the worst. We always fly peak times so prices and selection are very limited.

I love flying out of Logan. We always use the off-site parking areas, so their shuttles have to deal with the actual airport traffic. I grew up on the North Shore, have always driven in Boston, so I guess the traffic doesn't bother me too much. Also, after having lived in East Lansing, MI, Lewisburg, PA and Bnagor, ME, the hustle and bustle of a major airport is like music to my ears- compared to the hassle of long drives to a major airport or having to take numerous "commuter jets" (read: 19-23 seaters) to get to a real airport with real planes! Anyhow, I really haven't considered driving down to mco from Bangor, ME. We've been to WDW twice from here, and I've pricelined it both times, for about $135/ticket. It always involves a change of planes in Boston (goin' to Logan for a "real" plane), but so what? Everyone whines about how flexible you have to be with priceline, how you don't have any control over your flights or time of day, etc. Well, I don't see that as any worse than having no control over traffic, having to drive all night and leave places at 4 a.m., etc. Besides, with the price of gas (currently $1.59/gal midgrade here in the frozen north), tolls, and a hotel room, not to mention wear and tear pm the minivan, how could driving be "cheaper", given the time involved (time=money on a WDW vacation) and exhaustion factor? I'm with whoever posted above- FLY!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter