1st time driving to WDW from Mass... Any tips?

Originally posted by Mikeyboy
South of the Border so so funny. They start building it up 800 miles away and when you get there it is the biggest dump on the planet. I am convinced it has the dirtiest bathroom ever and yes I have been to Tiajuana. I agree that driving to WDW is a fun experience but once was fine with me.

I'm laughing my butt off here. That was our EXACT take on the thing. Despite having relatives in North Carolina and going south twice a year as a kid, I'd never in my life made it to SC, except to fly over. So for years I saw the ads. Driving down, I think the billboards started at the Virginia border. And we got there, went "what?" I went into a bathroom, walked right back out, and we promptly left SOB. The video is a scream. Pass by SOB. Get a chicken salad sandwich at Stucky's instead.

OK - we have our plan. Leaving as early as possible on Saturday morning (2:00 - 4:00 am) and hoping to get through DC by noon. Is there "rush hour traffic" on Saturday?

Once we are through DC, we just want to drive as far as DS9 and DS1.5 will allow. Plan on stopping overnight in NC and starting again early Sunday morning and plan on getting to Disney Sunday afternoon.

Kind of a loose plan, but with the kids, we are just going with the flow.

Thanks again for all the tips!! :wave:

We drove down last August and left around 3:00AM Saturday morning. We ran into so much traffic from DC to Richmond around lunch time. It really put us behind. We were planning on staying overnight in Florence, SC, but were so beat from the traffic that we stopped in Rocky Mt. NC instead. There was no reason for the back up either which was the irritating part. On our way home (also a Saturday) we saw a ton of traffic going South from about DC up to New Jersey. Again, no reason, just volume (and stopping for tolls every mile!) So to answer your question, the weekends seemed just as bad. Of course this was summer and you may have to factor in beach/vacation rental traffic. We would still drive again though. It was a great experience.

Hijacking the thread here, but the posts above remind me of a funny story. We have gone to Florida every year for most of the 30 years of our marriage, mostly because we had 2 kids and couldn't afford airfare etc.

Several years ago, just spouse and I driving down and 95 was atrocious, stop and go, lots of traffic and just not a pleasure, even minus kids traveling with us. Well spouse out of the clear blue sky says to me "see that Denny's over there" and I said "yes, why?" and the reply was, "well look at it now, because it is the last time you will be seeing it, next year we will be flying over it". And we haven't driven to Florida in the last 3 or so years!

I can understand though for those with children that cost can be prohibitive and driving is a must. Just plan you trip out accordingly and figure in some time for delays etc. Any way you can get to WDW is a plus:)

drewc:
While there is probably less "rush hour" traffic on weekends, there seems to be more truck/tourist/shopping locals traffic--so it's still a pretty big mess. On of the worst backups I've seen in the general DC area was on a Sunday afternoon--backed up a full FIVE miles from the mixing bowl--no acidents, etc. Just horrible traffic.
My advice is to always try to get by DC as early in the AM as possible--or in the dead of night.

PS--how "bad" is the daily traffic?? A friend of mine lives in Springfield va.--almost within sight of the dreaded "mixing bowl". he works at the pentagon--and almost always rides his bicycle to work!! A lot faster, he says, and a lot easier on his nerves.

Thanks Uncleromulus,

I know that on the way down, we'll pass through DC shortly after midnight. We'll probably try to time it so we hit it late night on our return drive also.

Thanks for the tip.

Originally posted by Uncleromulus
drewc:
While there is probably less "rush hour" traffic on weekends, there seems to be more truck/tourist/shopping locals traffic--so it's still a pretty big mess. On of the worst backups I've seen in the general DC area was on a Sunday afternoon--backed up a full FIVE miles from the mixing bowl--no acidents, etc. Just horrible traffic.
My advice is to always try to get by DC as early in the AM as possible--or in the dead of night.

PS--how "bad" is the daily traffic?? A friend of mine lives in Springfield va.--almost within sight of the dreaded "mixing bowl". he works at the pentagon--and almost always rides his bicycle to work!! A lot faster, he says, and a lot easier on his nerves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter