2 Br villa sleeping arrangements

kaw1106

Live everyday like it is the only day.
Expanding on the traveling companions from hell thread...

We are taking my MIL and FIL to BWV's to share a 2 br villa. DH and I have 2 children ages 3 and 6.

Here is my question...Would you give the MIL and FIL the Master and have our family of four bunk together in the extra room? OR would you keep the Master, have the kids on the pull out and them in the other room. I am wondering if my kids are too young to have the pull out in the living room alone. Ideas? Other options?

I think your youngest is probably too young to be out on the couch and you will want the common area to relax in after they go to sleep. I would take the bedroom with the two beds and allow your parents to sleep in the master. Unless, you don't mind sleeping with the 6 year old in the King and the 3 year old in the pack-n-play.

I think you wouldn't be asking if you didn't feel deep down the kids are a little young... imho - - - I think you four should take the other room and let the in-laws have the master (doggone it!)

I always let my older sister and her husband have the master - and I was glad to give her such a nice room.

My boys (3 and 5) think its a treat to occasionally sleep on our sleeper sofa rather than sleeping in their bedroom, so that might be an ok solution. However, as I am sure with your children, they are in bed much before everyone else would want to go.

I want to say I wouldn't give up the master, but the truth is that I probably would offer it to my parents and they would tell me no and love to sleep with the boys. I am gathering from your post that you don't see your children sleeping with your in-laws. They would be asleep probably before your in-laws turned in. The bathroom has a door, so your in-laws would still have privacy, etc while doing their night/morning routines. To me, that is the nicest solution.

In my family, we have slept in all sorts of ways/arrangements, etc just so all of us could be on vacation together. If your in-laws are going to be happy just being there, then run the "kids with you" thing by them and see. If it would be WWIII, then don't even risk your good time, you 4 sleep in the extra bedroom and get your mind wrapped around it now so you won't worry over it while actually there.

Good luck! :rolleyes:

Put the ILs in the Master. If you don't want to sleep with the kids, you & DH could bunk down on the fold out couch, i guess. I would not put kids that young in the living room <shudder> No telling what they'd get into.

Sorry, but no way am I giving up the master bedroom to anyone on my points!! ;) We've taken my parents twice, we request a 2 bed. lockoff. This way they have the studio with the bed and sofa and their own kitchenette. They can get up as early as they want to in the morning make their own coffee, have breakfast, without disturbing us in any way. They love their grandchildren very much, but they aren't used to being with them 24/7. This gives them their own place to "get away". We get along great with my parents, and they are very appreciative of the room at WDW. My kids sleep on the fold out and do fine. (they are now 9 and 5, but on previous trips, they were 7, and 4) They love to watch Disney TV and they are usually so tired they go right to sleep. We leave the Master Bedroom door open if they need us for any reason. Keep in mind you may want to do laundry or just need more space for your family of 4. Giving them the studio just makes sense to me. I'd put my kids on matresses on the Master floor, before I would take the studio. Best of luck deciding what to do.

Sleeping arangements of children really vary (both at home and vacation) from child to child and family to family. It is really based on the temperent of the child. Two trips ago our then 7.5 year old and 2 year old slept in the livingroom, with the older one on the sofa and younger in the pack and play. It worked very well and they liked having their room together. Although it is really my now 9 year old that I'm more concerned about sleeping issues. She is the one that still wakes me nightly, while our easy going 3 yo gets a kiss on the cheek and sleeps til morning. When we did the 2 bedroom in Feb. I thought that they would have issues because it was too far away from us. Wrong! Again they loved having 'their' own room!

Probably, the safest bet would be to give the IL's the master. That would leave the Kit/Living room for the early risers and night owls. Then everyone gets well rested.

Does the 2nd bedroom at BWV's have a tub/shower combo, or just a shower.My little one still takes baths and that WOULD make a difference on what room we chose. :scratchin

Only you know the maturity/status of your kids for sleeping in the living room, but I would keep the master and have the kids in the Living Room as my first choice.

ILs in the MB as a second choice.

All 2 beds at BWV will be lockoffs. The studio side should have the tub/shower combo, unless you end up with a handicap unit. That also means that your studio will not have 2 beds, but a bed and sofa bed combo in the studio portion. The studio foldout is full size and the living room foldout is queen (I'm pretty sure about this). Don't know if any of that will affect your kids comfort level and sleeping with each other.

We stayed at OKW in a two bedroom with my husband's parents several years ago. Our son was about 5. We gave them the second bedroom - they each got their own queen sized bed and loved it. Plus they had a quiet room of their own if they wanted to go to bed earlier or sleep a little later or get up earlier. My husband and I took the master. Our son slept on the sleeper sofa in the living room, unless he fell asleep earlier and then we put him in the king sized bed. Then my husband or I took the sleep sofa in the living room and the other slept with our son.

I wouldn't give up the master bedroom for anyone.

We gave the studio to my MIL and her sister, my kids slept on the pullout, we had the master. With the lockoff this was really nice, as we didn't disturb them in the morning and they didn't disturb us.

We were generally so exhausted that we were more than happy to tuck the kids in on the sleeper and retire to our own rooms for some reading/TV/ balcony time or just sleeping. And they didn't get into anything.

Deb & Bill, I'd forgotten about the two bed thing. With my MIL and her sister they shared the queen. Next trip we will have my parents along, and I suspect that they will actually use two beds. Their marriage seems pretty good - its just as they've aged they sleep lighter and can't sleep in the same bed any longer. In fact, its possible my dad will take the sleeper sofa in the living room - deaf as a post, my dad, but he claims my mother's snoring keeps him awake.

IMO keep the master. It good to have your own space apart with the lock off door closed at night.

Let the kids fall asleep in the master bed and move them later to the sleeper sofa. If they are light sleepers, leave them there and sleep on the sofa yourselves. Heck, for about 2 years both of my girls sleep in the king bed with us while on vacation. We requested bed rails so they wouldn't fall off the edge and we fit fine.

No way would I want to get stuck 4 to a room in a studio when anyone wants privacy. With the door closed, your in-laws will be in 2 rooms and your family of 4 will be in 1. If you like to have the full kitchen at night or do laundry at night you wouldn't be able to. Btw, the washer/dryer is extremely noisy. Even if your in-laws are in the master, they will hear it and it will disturb them. Keep that in mind also if your kids or family are light sleepers.

Unless your in-laws are paying for the trip or helped you buy your points, I would keep the master.

Good luck.

We are taking our first trip home this Oct. We are taking with us my parents, my dh'sand our two ds (age 4mths and 5yo). MIL and FIL will have their own studio but my parents will be in our 2br.

I just assumed my ds5 would be on the pull out couch (None of us stay up late after a day at WDW). Parents would be in the lock-off and DH DS(4mo) and I would be in the master. After reading some of the posts, I am getting nervous.

Is their s-thing I overlooked as to the 5yo sleeping on the couch?

We've been the recipient of a master BR before, and we have given up the master br before! My sister is DVC also, and once put my DH and I in the master just because logistically, that's how it worked out. On a later trip though, we took the 2nd bedroom -- whatever works, right? Once we joined DVC and started bringing family along, we did the same thing. We went to VWL and put BIL/SIL in the master with their young son, while DH and I took the 2 queen beds with our kids in the 2nd br. HOWEVER... it did set up a weird event for later, lol, when they joined us on a trip to BWV. DH and BIL took the bags to the rooms, but when I got there, all the bags were in the "wrong" rooms -- meaning, BIL and SIL had put their bags in the master. Nope, I had to inform them, this time, DH and I get the master. After all, our boys were old enough now to sleep on the sleeper sofa, and the studio was much better for BIL and SIL, seeing as how their baby might fuss or need a bottle, whatever... And I really need the closet and drawer space, frankly, with my family and our associated luggage and such!

As for whether or not kids can be left on a sleeper sofa... usually, my kids came to me right away once they were awake, so I never needed to worry too much about them "doing things" in the main room that would be troublesome. I did worry about the balconies and made sure they were locked, and I did worry about the front door for the same reason. We didn't stay at BWV for a long time for that very reason -- I was too afraid of all those doors on the 2 br, haha! BUt really, you are just a door and a wall apart, and with time I realized the kids slept deeply enough at Disney that my fears were thankfully never going to be realized!

I wouldn't worry about either of my five year olds on the sleeper sofa. They sleep in their own rooms at home. If they are prone to night wandering, I might be more cautious.

You may want to still remove the knobs from the stove burners, just in case, and make sure the slider lock on the door is locked.

We've brought my parents twice (and will be bringing them again in Dec). We always give them the master bedroom and we take the 2nd bedroom. Our kids are small, so we preferred having them in the bedroom with us. I am looking forward to getting that master bedroom someday though!

Maybe I'm missing something, but this is not a large unit (except by Disney standards!). My kids sleep quite a bit further away from us in our own home, and we don't have a huge house. If everything is locked, we've never worried about our kids out in the living room. Granted, they really don't "get into things" so maybe it hasn't been an issue with us.

We always put them to bed in our bed, and then move them to the sleeper when we go to sleep. It works out great because we can still watch a movie or get a snack or do laundry (although I agree, it's LOUD) and then in the morning, my kids can watch TV and use the bathroom without disturbing anyone. They're very early risers.

This year we'll put the baby in the closet in a pack and play (louvered doors, so we can hear him just fine, but he can't see us, which seems to be the trick) and the girls will be out on the sofa bed. If they don't want to share, we have a "ready bed" that goes on the floor in the living room. They love it - it's their own space and they feel very grown up and get to be together.

I agree with a previous poster - I would not want to be stuck in one room with my kids if it wasn't necessary. That's the main reason we bought DVC. Everyone sleeps better when we're not all together, and more sleep means a better vacation for our family.

Thanks, I really like the idea of putting the kids in the Master King then carrying them to the sleeper sofa!!! Perfect idea. DUH??? Why didn't I think of that, but I guess that is why I have all of you. :goodvibes

I think that is fair, we ARE paying and deserve some alone time.

As far as why I am nervous, my little one does fall out of bed occasionally and I worry about those sharp bars....and the are sharp. I will request bed rails or just stuff lots of pillows around him.

Kathleen

You know, if you are worried about him falling, you can also take the mattress off the sleeper and fold it back up, and just have him sleep on the floor. We've done that if the sleeper has the bar in it, and my kids think it's like camping (I don't know why - they've actually been camping, and I'm pretty sure a mattress on the floor of a villa at Disney is not very like it, LOL). Anyway, somehow it's an adventure. All depends on how you present it to them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter