2 months of relentless convincing ;-)

calypso726

Escaping reality one Disney vacation at a time
We stayed at SSR with friends on rented points for our annual Halloween trip to MNSSHP this past October. This was our (mine and DH's) first time at a DVC property. I had never even heard of DVC, renting points or the DIS boards until recently and neither had he. Well, I decided to take the tour during our second day at SSR since everyone was napping one afternonn and I was wide awake, intrigued and wanted to learn about "the best kept secret". Needless to say, I got hooked on the idea then and there. I came back overjoyed with enthusiasm woke up DH and began to bombard him with all of the wonderful details :yay: He hit the brakes and did his best to tune me out :coffee: Nice try...you'd think after 10 years he'd know there is no tuning out the loud Latin girl :dance3: I'll give him an A for effort though. He doesn't budge and we enjoy the rest of our vacation. Undaunted, I get back home and join the DIS boards immediately and begin lurking and learning. Armed with facts, figures, the possiblity of a smaller contract through the TTS and the voice of experience on these boards (don't wait, buy sooner and more points) I plead my case again :teacher: He considers everything I've said and tells me, "Well maybe in a few years, but not anytime soon." :sad2: AHA!!!! I see a chink in the armor, we've gone from "No" to "not yet" this is going better than I hoped but I need a new strategy :rolleyes1 Over the course of the next month I bring up smaller contracts I find on the TTS site and how much $$$ we'd be saving in the long run etc. and so forth. We wind up back at WDW for Thanksgiving and stay at Pop Century. There were several snafus in terms of service :sad2: and suffice it to say that the feeling was different than when we stayed at SSR. Naturally, I point this out at every opportunity and proclaim that I am never staying at another value resort again :eek: After our trip I continue right were I left off about how awesome it would be to join DVC :cool1: Finally, a couple of days before Christmas he decides to consider one of the smaller contracts available. YAY! he's figured out I am not giving up on this :woohoo: Later that same day I discover perusing through the boards the referral promotion. DH has a co-worker that owns at OKW. Once I told him about that promotion he went for it :yay: I called my DVC guide before he could change his mind! She suggested I start with 160 points. I explained that I was surprised to even be making that phone call at all so I wasn't going to push the issue :rolleyes1 Before you know it DH calls up and says it would probably be a good idea to get 180 points to start :eek: Stunned, I call back the tour guide and explain that I've no idea where my DH might be locked up but they can keep him since I really like this other guy that wants us to have more points :rotfl2: We signed on Christmas day and I am so happy :rotfl: I am thrilled to be a new DVC member, thrilled to have a very cool DH :thumbsup2 and thrilled about our upcoming MNSSHP later this year!

Last edited:

I smiled all the way through your story! :love:

Welcome Home Neighboor.

-Tony

What a wonderful story. Being a Latin girl myself, I know exactly what you mean about having to be persuasive :lmao: Most of the time if I want something, I just keep on going until DH finally gives in. :rotfl2:

I actually purchased DVC back in 1999, a year before we got married. This way it was MY decision and it was what I wanted so I went for it. Of course, now that I'm married DH calls it OUR DVC which is fine as long as we keep going, I'm happy:yay:

You are a great story teller- you gotta start posting more often!
oh, yeah- and WELCOME HOME!!!

Great story! Now go give that "other guy" a big fat hug and kiss and

:yay: CONGRATULATIONS & WELCOME HOME! :yay:

Good job and Welcome Home. Looks like the fortuitously timed visit to Pop Century was quite possibly the clincher ;). Great to have such a vivid contrast so close in time.

Shortly after we stayed at the VWL on rented points we owned our own VWL and BWV contracts. You are not alone.

hehehe Calypso726 here's my story - copied from about 10 months ago...
-------------------------------------------
<chuckle> I'm in a similar boat with my hubby. He's reluctantly agreed to become DVC owners but he wants to wait about 18 months - 2 years, for some good reasons I have to admit.

Originally I gave him all the facts and figures and perks and he still was -- hmmm don't think so, not doing it, not joining up.

My trump card was, " Honey, when was the last time I said I wanted something and damn the price?"

Him- "never"

Me- " And when we bought the house, we got the one you wanted right? and the SUV you wanted right? and your hobbies cost us several thousand more a year than mine right?"

Him -"yeah all true and this leads to...?"

Me-" then I've been saving up! Aren't I due for something I want?"

Him- " so I can agree now, or we fight over this for 2 years and my life is miserable til I say yes?"

Me - <hugs hubby> "you do understand! I love you!" :laughing: :love: :cloud9: :hug:

him- <sigh> "love you too dear - okay YES but theres conditions..."

:rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2:

and that truely is close to verbatim to the conversation. Once we buy in I really think he'll decide we need a contract at VB or HH in addition to whichever WDW resort we buy
-------------

Tim is w/ Army National Guard and is currently serving over in Kuwait - one reason I agreed to wait on DVC. After putting aside around $7500 for a trip to Australia I've finally started the DVC purchase fund and am up to about $1500~ not too shabby since I didn't start any of this til around June '06:banana:

We should be in position to buy a 100 pt OKW contract with cash by the years end:yay:

Welcome Home!
( I can say that even if I'm not a member yet, right? :goodvibes )

We stayed at SSR with friends on rented points for our annual Halloween trip to MNSSHP this past October. This was our (mine and DH's) first time at a DVC property. I had never even heard of DVC, renting points or the DIS boards until recently and neither had he. Well, I decided to take the tour during our second day at SSR since everyone was napping one afternonn and I was wide awake, intrigued and wanted to learn about "the best kept secret". Needless to say, I got hooked on the idea then and there. I came back overjoyed with enthusiasm woke up DH and began to bombard him with all of the wonderful details :yay: He hit the brakes and did his best to tune me out :coffee: Nice try...you'd think after 10 years he'd know there is no tuning out the loud Latin girl :dance3: I'll give him an A for effort though. He doesn't budge and we enjoy the rest of our vacation. Undaunted, I get back home and join the DIS boards immediately and begin lurking and learning. Armed with facts, figures, the possiblity of a smaller contract through the TTS and the voice of experience on these boards (don't wait, buy sooner and more points) I plead my case again :teacher: He considers everything I've said and tells me, "Well maybe in a few years, but not anytime soon." :sad2: AHA!!!! I see a chink in the armor, we've gone from "No" to "not yet" this is going better than I hoped but I need a new strategy :rolleyes1 Over the course of the next month I bring up smaller contracts I find on the TTS site and how much $$$ we'd be saving in the long run etc. and so forth. We wind up back at WDW for Thanksgiving and stay at Pop Century. There were several snafus in terms of service :sad2: and suffice it to say that the feeling was different than when we stayed at SSR. Naturally, I point this out at every opportunity and proclaim that I am never staying at another value resort again :eek: After our trip I continue right were I left off about how awesome it would be to join DVC :cool1: Finally, a couple of days before Christmas he decides to consider one of the smaller contracts available. YAY! he's figured out I am not giving up on this :woohoo: Later that same day I discover perusing through the boards the referral promotion. DH has a co-worker that owns at OKW. Once I told him about that promotion he went for it :yay: I called my tour guide before he could change his mind! She suggested I start with 160 points. I explained that I was surprised to even be making that phone call at all so I wasn't going to push the issue :rolleyes1 Before you know it DH calls up and says it would probably be a good idea to get 180 points to start :eek: Stunned, I call back the tour guide and explain that I've no idea where my DH might be locked up but they can keep him since I really like this other guy that wants us to have more points :rotfl2: We signed on Christmas day and I am so happy :rotfl: I am thrilled to be a new DVC member, thrilled to have a very cool DH :thumbsup2 and thrilled about our upcoming MNSSHP later this year!

So calypso726 anything exciting happen to you recently:lmao:

congrats and welcome home:banana:

It took me many years to convince my husband to buy in. I really started pushing him after staying at OKW on an II exchange a couple of years ago. He finally agreed this past November, (a Christmas gift to myself), signed the papers and am close to closing on a contract from the TTS. Can't wait to start planning our first trip to WDW as DVC members.

Congratulations and Welcome Home!!:welcome:

Welcome Home!

I remember those YEARS where I was intrigued about DVC but thought it could not be true - too expensive blah blah blah.

Now looking back I so wish we had bought sooner...years of chasing codes GONE! There is nothing like it!

Thanks for the fun story....and....

WELCOME HOME!

Wishing you many magical vacations---

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter