2 questions - Confiscos and HRH Club level

luvpooh

oh bother!
I have 3 questions - forgive me, but I don't come on this board frequently, only when I'm about to visit Universal!

1) Did Confiscos ever bring back the character lunch? I had it booked for last April, then they called and told me that they were cancelling it. My BF was SO disappointed!

2) Will I be able to get upgraded to club level at HRH like I did last year, with a standard room booked? We were there last year from April 24-28, and will be there this year from April 23-27. Last year it was dead, and they had no problem upgrading us. I am a Loews First member.

3) I was reading NHRenee's trip report and she mentioned some of the offerings in the HRH Club level. When we were on the club level last year, the only things they offered was cheese and crackers and veggies and dip b/c I heard that people were 'savages' when it came to the hot stuff. Have they gone back to offering other stuff?

Thanks!

1: Unfortunately not as of our trip 2/10:(

2: You never know until you get there.

3: Hope someone else can help you!

We arrived last Sunday, the day before President's Day, after 11:00 PM. At check-in I asked for an upgrade, gave the desk clerk my brand new Loew's First number, and was upgraded from a standard room to club level. Thanks to this board; I never would have thought to do this otherwise.

We were at the club level lounge for two of the evening snacks. The first night there were Mexican type snacks: nachos, guacamole, small wrap sandwiches, cheese. The second night there were chips and four or five types of dip, a platter of cut vegetables, and cheese.

We loved the club level. I am only afraid that now we are spoiled and will never be satisfied with a plain old room!

Nikki, Can I ask you if you use a discount (ent., Fan club, Loew first) on your original reservation, because they would not even consider upgrading us with the entertainment rate.

Also, when everyone asks for their upgrades, is it "politically correct" to tip them before or after they oblige? And if you do, is it a sneaky tip, (like we have to do with the baggers at the grocery store).
Some people can be so smooth at things like that, I would probably drop the bill trying to stick it in their palm.
It sucks when you have to pay people to give you what seems you would be entitled to.
I don't understand how some discounted rates can get, but not the entertainment rate. The difference in their price does not seem so drastic. For example, would the "sea to shining sea" rate get upgraded and treats? That rate is 129.00 garden view?
Last time we stayed the garden view was 117.00 ent. rate, so for 6 dollars more, you can get the perks? Does not make sense to me.

It sounds like they are not very consistent at HRH, when one person can get something and the next person can't.

Whenever we've gotten an upgrade at the Portofino we've never given a tip. (Although someone said they did tip after).

I think politeness and availability are the key to an upgrade. There's never going to be consistancy as far as upgrades. I never expect one and always consider it a GIFT!

Bchamp,

I booked my room at the HRH through Quikbook.com for $167. There were no entertainment rates or sea to shining sea rates available for those nights. There were all sorts of problems getting the reservation sorted out, because the hotel entered the wrong information into their system from Quikbook, thought I was supposed to be there two weeks earlier than I was, and had me down as a no-show and were ready to bill my credit card for one night. I only found this out because I called the hotel to make sure they had a record of my reservation. It required several days and many calls to Quikbook and to Universal to clear it up.

By the time I arrived, however, the information in the computers was correct. When I asked for the upgrade, I just said I had a Loew's First number and wondered if anything was available. The desk clerk first said "No, we're all full", then she checked and said, "It's your lucky day. You can have a club level room." It didn't occur to me to give her a tip. She was very friendly to me as I walked by later in the evening, I don't think she felt slighted, at least I hope not. In any event, I think it was a question of availability more than anything else.

I always tip 20 if I am upgraded and blatantly hold the cash in my hand on the desk when asking for the upgrade.

My upgrade success rate has been 3 out of 5 stays. The 2 times it didn't work, the hotel was truly sold out and did not have any upgrades available.

-Jon

I would never tip for an upgrade - and still have managed to get one 90% of the time when I travel, be it hotels, cruises, whatever. I don't think the clerks expect it. I think they upgrade you if you're nice, they're nice, they have the availability and it does help to be a member of the hotels "club", or frequent traveler program.

I agree with Nhrenee about politeness and availability being the deciding factor, as well as luck and the willingness of the clerk to go out of their way to check for you. IMHO tipping isn't going to make a difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter