$200.00 to completely clean my camera??

I could almost see that kind of money for a tear-down cleaning on a film camera... but with a DSLR, it's unlikely that they're doing more than the simple sensor swipe ($95 right there) and the other stuff is just wiping the housing, etc. Pretty straightforward.

I began to try to do a clean & lubricate on the old Yashica rangefinder I got for free, as the shutter blades are more or less stuck, and got a few screws off before I got in over my head and gave up. I think that's usually a $150 job or so for a pro to do, and this camera isn't worth it... so it'll either stay busted or I'll try again one of these days, I'm certainly not going to make it worse! Just haven't figured out how to get at the lens and the blades...

OK Just a lil update. ;)

I so do not feel taken advantage of. I so do not shoot in auto mode ( I did for the first DAY I had the cam - then decided if I am going to do it I am going to learn to do it right - and I have the horrid pics to back that up. :lmao: )

I am very comfortable handing my camera, however at this point, I do NOT feel confident with my abilities to clean the sensor yet. Keyword there being - yet. I will at some point. Until then I have no problem paying someone to do it.

The place I (well DH since he dropped it off on his way to work) took it to has been in business for 40 years - and they specialize in camera repair.

They are cleaning the sensor - and also cleaning every part of the camera inside and out. They are also checking each and every bit of the camera out to make sure it is in perfect working condition.

If I couldn't have afforded it - I wouldn't have done it. I was surprised by how much it was - but honestly I had no clue how much anyone charges for this stuff. I have only had the camera since December. New experience for me.

Yes - it is expensive - BUT with that being said it is still a heck of a lot cheaper than me trying to do something I am not sure about - messing it up and having to have someone fix my mistake OR - ruining the camera and having to have the sensor replaced.

I'm a little unclear ... but, it sounds like you think they're taking advantage of people who don't really know much, or aren't comfortable with, about their expensive camera.

Based on the information from handicap18 and Groucho, it sure sounds like it! :mad:

No, "taking advantage of" would be changing the prices based on the customer. If they have a set price for work no matter who brings it in, the customer knows the price before any work is done and there aren't any hidden fees then they're not taking advantage of anyone.

Sure it's expensive, but there's a huge difference between "taking advantage of" and "charging what the market will accept". Businesses don't last long if they charge a lot more than customers are willing to pay. That they've been around a while means that the overall market finds their price reasonable, even if individuals don't.

Jen, wasn't trying to draw any conclusions about you in the previous comment, just the likely average customer. :)

grumpy one when did you see my pc case?;) it truthfully looked like a rug was inside..never knew you shouldn't put in on a basement floor till bil took it apart and i almost fainted when i saw how disgusting it was inside:rolleyes1 and i wonder why i have computer problems...:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

jen..really for that while i probably would have initially said "how much!?!" if they are doing all that is doesn't sound that bad..it's not like you would have them do that every time they clean it and since you did get some extra dirt inside probably wasn't a bad idea anyway, right now i had so much goop on my viewfinder i was having a hard time seeing through it...fortunately for me it was on the outside once i took the little shade thing off.

Well we called them this afternoon. They said the camera was done. I went to get it. I was all excited because my backdrop stand and 4 backdrops arrived today. Couldn't wait to test it all out.

Bring the camera home - put a lens on it.... walk outside to take a test shot. :scared1: Now I can see dirt when I look through the eye piece - dirt where I had seen it on the photos plus a bit more.

I take a test shot - of the sky because that is when I notice it the most. Go back in - check it out on the PC and sure enough it is STILL THERE.

Then I start looking at bit more and I see MORE DIRT where there hadn't been any before. :mad: :mad:

OK - maybe it is the lens. I clean it off - nope still see it. Change lenses - nope still there.

So I call the camera store and they said they were closing in 5 minutes and to bring it in tomorrow. Oh you betchya I will be in there the VERY SECOND they unlock those doors.

I have this very odd feeling they never did a dang thing. I think my camera had been sitting there for 3 days waiting for someone to clean it and when we called they went to look - saw it wrapped in plastic and said "sure it is done".

I have a wicked temper. I am going to try - really try to remain calm. BUT - you can bet yer sweet bippy I am not leaving there tomorrow without my camera spot free - or someones head will be rolling. :rolleyes1

I have this very odd feeling they never did a dang thing. I think my camera had been sitting there for 3 days waiting for someone to clean it and when we called they went to look - saw it wrapped in plastic and said "sure it is done".

So, I guess we were right to be a little suspicious of their "service"....

Sorry that you're getting raked over the coals on this one, DVC Jen ... I hope you get some satisfaction from these guys.

For $200 your camera should be absolutely clean-room SPOTLESS; inside and out! :mad:

Yikes! I'm glad I don't work that that place, hell hath no fury like a DVCJen scorned. :scared1: ;)

I am very comfortable handing my camera, however at this point, I do NOT feel confident with my abilities to clean the sensor yet. Keyword there being - yet. I will at some point. Until then I have no problem paying someone to do it.
The only thing I see wrong with this is that really, you're just putting off the inevitable. Cleaning the sensor is a specific enough task where it doesn't matter how comfortable you are with the rest of the camera.

Maybe there's a nearby Dis member who might be willing to walk you through your first cleaning in person... or if not someone from here, someone from another photography forum? That might put your mind at ease a little more. Heck, they might even supply the stuff you need - like I said, the actual materials that you use during a sensor clean are exceedingly inexpensive, if you go the pec-pad route. Ie, one pec-pad (about 7 cents, I think) and a couple drops of Eclipse.

So, I guess we were right to be a little suspicious of their "service"....

Sorry that you're getting raked over the coals on this one, DVC Jen ... I hope you get some satisfaction from these guys.

For $200 your camera should be absolutely clean-room SPOTLESS; inside and out! :mad:

Well my anger has cooled and I am able to look at the situation a bit more objectively.

I am really hoping that it was merely an honest human mistake and when we called to see if it was ready the lady who answered the phone saw it sitting there all wrapped in plastic and thought it was done - when in reality it was sitting there waiting for the technician to actually work on it.

Maybe I just like looking at the world through rose colored glasses. Mistakes do happen. I am giving them the chance to correct their mistake today. I will let ya know what happens. :)

Yikes! I'm glad I don't work that that place, hell hath no fury like a DVCJen scorned. :scared1: ;)

:rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2:

I do have one heck of a temper and most people who know me stay clear until I cool down - which usually doesnt take too long - thank goodness.

I am not nearly as mad this morning. Well not yet.. and hopefully I won't be when I am able to get back into the camera store and talk to them.

Groucho one thing I have learned from all of this is that I definately WILL attempt to clean it myself next time.

I had ordered a backdrop stand and some (cheap) backdrops from ebay and they came yesterday. While checking them out last night and talking to my DH he mentioned that I should eventually have a back-up camera "just in case".

I love that man - he is so incredibly supportive and generous with me - much more than I deserve sometimes

To that I simply smiled and said - "but Hun- the XTI IS my back-up camera. Or it will be when that 40D comes out. Remember?"

He kinda smirked and said, 'Oh yeah. I just can't remember when we decided that.

:angel:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter