2008 Drum Corps Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to see Big, Loud, Live tonight, but I have a sick DS. Does anyone know if they will show it on tv?
Also, I'm trying to figure out if I can find a vidoe of an old DCI performace, but I have no clue how to go about it, and I thought you guys could help. The hardest part is that I don't know what year it was done, or which core did it. Maybe if I explain it someone can help. My mom kept our band director's kids when I was in high school. The summer before my senior year (1993) we spent hours watching one DCI performance trying to figure out how they made the Phantom disappear. The core did a Phatom of the Opera theme. At the end the Phantom sat in a chair, was covered by a large black cloth by two girls in the colorgaurd. When they lifted the cloth off the Phantom was gone, and only a rose remained. The only things I know for sure is that it had to have been done before 1993 and that it was not a male only core. Any help would be great. Also, I believe in the same season another core did one where a guy dressed as a wizard made a girl from the color gaurd levatate. I would love to be able to get those on tape or DVD to be able to show my son. TIA for any and all help.

That was the Santa Clara Vanguard. However, SCV did Phantom of the Opera in both 1988 and 1989. Both shows actually ended similarly. In 88 there was a mask remaining, but I don't think anything was remaining in the 89 version (if I recall correctly). You can order DVDs at http://store.dci.org/1988_World_Championship_DVD_P1711C30.cfm (88 version).........or http://store.dci.org/1989_World_Championship_DVD_P1712C30.cfm (89 version).

You're in Columbus? Jeesh dude, get in your car on Friday or Saturday! :banana:

Trust me....I would if I could. I'm currently facing some financial issues. To top it off, it doesn't help that someone got ahold of my debit card number a few days ago. :guilty:

I cancelled my trip to the theater in favor of waiting for semi-finals tomorrow night and watching it on fan network at home on my LCD TV with surround sound

That was the Santa Clara Vanguard. However, SCV did Phantom of the Opera in both 1988 and 1989. Both shows actually ended similarly. In 88 there was a mask remaining, but I don't think anything was remaining in the 89 version (if I recall correctly). You can order DVDs at http://store.dci.org/1988_World_Championship_DVD_P1711C30.cfm (88 version).........or http://store.dci.org/1989_World_Championship_DVD_P1712C30.cfm (89 version).

Thank you so much!!:banana: You are my most favorite person of the day!!:flower3: I'll have to order both, and watch them with my DS since he's sick and can't go tonight.

i love my scouts
glad to see the blue stars back near the top
but I really have to say

:worship: :worship: :worship: HOLY FREAKIN PHANTOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they do not win, the world just isn't right!!!!

WOW What a show! What a great group of top 17 this year! This is a year to get the DVD's for sure!

Glad to see the Scouts in 12th for now, hope they can hold on.

Glassmen are cute, but geesh, do they own 11th place or what?

Cadets have cleaned up the narriation, but it's still annoying!

I'm not usually a fan of any of the Blue teams, but I have to admit, the only one I dont care for this year is the Knights.

Bluestars, great show! Great to see them back in the top 12 for the first time since what.....1978? Blue Coats, wow, great theme, great hornline, great show. I even like BD for the first time in years.

Drill wise, nobody can touch SCV! That drill never stops from start to finish! Cant wait to watch that on the DVD high angle! Cavies...THAT PIT! Wow! They are producing sounds I have never heard from a drum corps before!

And Phantom! Un-freaking-believable! When the one drum major kills off the other one and takes control of the drum corps the crowd stands up and screams till the end of the show! I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about it! A two minute standing ovation!

I like BD, and get the whole concept of the show, but I dont think they should be winning! But we have two more nights to sort that out!

The stadium is beautiful, although whatever they laid under the new turf is bleeding through, leaving black marks all over the field. I have been told this is the norm on new turf.

I changed rooms, and the new room is larger and cleaner.

The best part of the night, we found a bowling alley across the street from the hotel with a bar and grill! 5 of us......5 Cheeseburger platters, (best cheeseburger I have had in a long time) multiple draught beers, and the total bill before tip was ..........$32.00! :scared1:

Needless to say, we will be hitting that again tonight after the show! Nothing wrong with a burger and a beer on a budget!

The weather is perfect, it's great to see old friends again, and the corps are the best entertainment wise I have seen in many years!

Hope everyone enjoyed the movie last night! Order your DVD now!

PS

I know how the Phantom dis-appears in the SCV show! :rolleyes1

But I'm not telling yet!

And there is some moron in the lobby going on and on about the stupidest things! His latest rant/rumor.....

Bands of America is putting pressure on DCI to make the scouts and cavies add girls to the corps! Needless to say, the cleaning fee to clean up the coffee I spit all over the computer has been added to my room bill! :lmao:

So any bets on who takes the "Spirit of Disney" Award?

It should be Phantom, but too much murder, so I say it will probably go to the Bluestars.....

The only thing funnier than that is watching the people come into the lobby looking for a room! Ya right! The closest room available tonight is in Chicago!:lmao:

PS

I know how the Phantom dis-appears in the SCV show! :rolleyes1

But I'm not telling yet!

And there is some moron in the lobby going on and on about the stupidest things! His latest rant/rumor.....

Bands of America is putting pressure on DCI to make the scouts and cavies add girls to the corps! Needless to say, the cleaning fee to clean up the coffee I spit all over the computer has been added to my room bill! :lmao:

So any bets on who takes the "Spirit of Disney" Award?

It should be Phantom, but too much murder, so I say it will probably go to the Bluestars.....

The only thing funnier than that is watching the people come into the lobby looking for a room! Ya right! The closest room available tonight is in Chicago!:lmao:
" I know how the Phantom dis-appears in the SCV show! "
It's pretty easy if you look closely.

" I know how the Phantom dis-appears in the SCV show! "
It's pretty easy if you look closely.

Ya that Phantom is a heavy breather!:rotfl2:

Well today is the last day.....sigh....why does vacation go by so quick? :confused3

I'm thinking having finals in Indy for the next 9 years might not be so bad, the Midwest is great, and I love it! But I say this sitting in a small college town in Indiana, not a big city, so we shall see....

Last night the show was great! Scouts made finals, Bluestars moved up to 8th, and Phantom took Cavies to make 2nd! Phantom was very flat last night,(or is that Phlat) so who knows what will happen tonight. Will they pull any surprises? Who else can they murder, a judge?:confused3

I was watching the top three last night and I got to thinking.....

If you look at this activity as the premier event for the marching musical activity, then perhaps Cavies or Phantom deserve to win. But if you view this activity as some sort of odd form of "art", then perhaps Blue Devils should win. Blue Devils do the usual park and play, but the whole show, as a form of art is there. So I guess we shall see tonight what the outcome is.

I will admit I get what BD is doing, and I actually like it, but is this the direction we want the activity to go? SCV marches an awsome drill from the time they enter the field till the time they leave, BD walks around and parks and plays. Which is better? :confused3

Well I'm gonna meet some friends for lunch, then I gotta pack, gotta leave early in the AM to get my flight!

Had a great time, but I wish I had another few days of vacation.......

Oh well, vacation always goes by faster then you want!

Thanks for the update.... Tell Chuck, see him in November....

See you in a few days...I'll be at AKV, but I'll stop by to visit at SSR....

So I decided to skip the Friends of DCI breakfast.....slept in...

What did I miss?

The Troopers! UGH! :sad2:

Oh well!

Maybe this will be a repeat of what happened in 1996 for the first place spot. :confused3

I think they have a tie-breaker rule in effect! God if Phantom has to share a title again they will rip the stands apart!

So I'm too ADD to flip through the last couple of pages since my last post...did anybody besides me go to the theatre for the quarter finals? It was comforting when 2 things happened: First, when the Cadets came out and starting moving their giant "centerpiece" out, people were audibly saying "NO WAY, NOT AGAIN!!!", then the commentators made reference to it being a "hard sell", then when they interviewed the director afterward, he got many boos. (can you tell I'm not a fan of the narration they did?)
Secondly, when Phantom Regiment got ROBBED, there were very loud disappointed boos.
Anyway, I missed the Webcast tonight b/c I had to work (somebody has to pay for the tickets to these things!)...anybody know the final outcome? (or do I even want to know?):confused3

Ladies and gentlemen........the Finals scores for the 2008 season.........

1. Phantom Regiment...................98.125
2. Blue Devils.............................98.100
3. Cavaliers................................97.325
4. Carolina Crown........................96.800
5. Cadets...................................94.750
6. Bluecoats...............................93.175
7. Santa Clara Vanguard...............93.025
8. Blue Stars..............................90.425
9. Blue Knights...........................88.250
10. Boston Crusaders...................87.275
11. Glassmen.............................87.200
12. Madison Scouts......................85.225

Looking at the recaps I'm amazed Phantom was actually able to pull out on top considering their low marching, color guard and GE scores, but I'm glad they did. This is the only time I recall BD taking the visual caption and not taking the majority of the brass or percussion captions. (Musically BD came in 4th overall, while Phantom and Carolina Crown took the top 2 spots. Wow.) :woohoo:

Ladies and gentlemen........the Finals scores for the 2008 season.........

1. Phantom Regiment...................98.125
2. Blue Devils.............................98.100
3. Cavaliers................................97.325
4. Carolina Crown........................96.800
5. Cadets...................................94.750
6. Bluecoats...............................93.175
7. Santa Clara Vanguard...............93.025
8. Blue Stars..............................90.425
9. Blue Knights...........................88.250
10. Boston Crusaders...................87.275
11. Glassmen.............................87.200
12. Madison Scouts......................85.225

Looking at the recaps I'm amazed Phantom was actually able to pull out on top considering their low marching, color guard and GE scores, but I'm glad they did. This is the only time I recall BD taking the visual caption and not taking the majority of the brass or percussion captions. (Musically BD came in 4th overall, while Phantom and Carolina Crown took the top 2 spots. Wow.) :woohoo:

AAAAHHHH!!! WWWOWOOOOOO!!!! Blue Stars hold 8th and Phantom takes down BD and Cavies to take the gold! What an amazing ending. After watching semi-finals last night and seeing all the top 12 corps for the first time, I am extremely pleased that Phantom won! I thought their ending was just phenomenal!

And of course, I have to give props to my corps. First time in Finals since 1979 and they came in with a BANG! FCO Blue Stars!
darnit now I'm gonna cry

AAAAHHHH!!! WWWOWOOOOOO!!!! Blue Stars hold 8th and Phantom takes down BD and Cavies to take the gold! What an amazing ending. After watching semi-finals last night and seeing all the top 12 corps for the first time, I am extremely pleased that Phantom won! I thought their ending was just phenomenal!

And of course, I have to give props to my corps. First time in Finals since 1979 and they came in with a BANG! FCO Blue Stars!
darnit now I'm gonna cry

I was so happy to see Blue Stars in Finals. When did you march? They won Division 3 the year I marched corps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter