2010 news from the Magic

Not to put out too many people's excitement for 2010, but I find it far more likely that DCL's request is more about getting ready for when the two new ships come online than making plans for summer 2010.

This prospectus competition is a required first step if there is to be any possibility of taking a ship to Alaska before 2020, so DCL basically had no choice but to enter the competition. There are provisions for relenquishing unused slots, so it is possible (in fact it was asked in the Q&A of the prospectus) that an applicant may not plan to start offering cruises until 2012 so would turn in their 2010 and 2011 dates immediately.

BTW, there is a law about cruise ships sailing from a US port directly to another US port are required to have an all US crew, which is why so many Alaska cruises go out of or stop in Vancouver, BC (and the Hawaii cruises all stop at Ensenada, Mexico).

Is this something new? Because my parents took a Hawaiian cruise round about 4 yrs ago and didn't stop anywhere in Mexico. They sailed out of San Francisco and had all sea days until reaching Hawaii. And they had an international crew.

Is this something new? Because my parents took a Hawaiian cruise round about 4 yrs ago and didn't stop anywhere in Mexico. They sailed out of San Francisco and had all sea days until reaching Hawaii. And they had an international crew.

Nope - the Passenger Vessels Services Act has been around since the late 1800's. Did the cruise end in Hawaii?

Some of those cruises make a brief call at Fanning Island, which is an independent country and qualifies as an international port for Jones Act purposes. The cruise might have stopped in Vancouver, too. It could not go from SFO to Hawaii back to SFO. That routing is illegal under the Jones Act.

Some of those cruises make a brief call at Fanning Island, which is an independent country and qualifies as an international port for Jones Act purposes. The cruise might have stopped in Vancouver, too. It could not go from SFO to Hawaii back to SFO. That routing is illegal under the Jones Act.

Well if i remember I'll ask my parents again, but I know they didn't stop in Mexico. They definitely did not leave from Vancouver, which is above SF. And I can't see the cruise taking on new passengers in the middle, but what do i know about that:confused3 Never heard of Fanning island. But I would have remembered Mexico.

Well if i remember I'll ask my parents again, but I know they didn't stop in Mexico. They definitely did not leave from Vancouver, which is above SF. And I can't see the cruise taking on new passengers in the middle, but what do i know about that:confused3 Never heard of Fanning island. But I would have remembered Mexico.

Do you remember what cruise line? That might help to solve the mystery.

Alaska sounds exicting - and I love those pictures.

It has been an ambition of my dh to go there - however I dont like snow and have said the only way I would go is if DCL sailed there:goodvibes

Its early in the morning here - to clarify

Are people saying that it is a possibility for 2010 or that it is a possibility when the new ships are up and running 2011/2012?:confused3

thanks

Alaska sounds exicting - and I love those pictures.

It has been an ambition of my dh to go there - however I dont like snow and have said the only way I would go is if DCL sailed there:goodvibes

Its early in the morning here - to clarify

Are people saying that it is a possibility for 2010 or that it is a possibility when the new ships are up and running 2011/2012?:confused3

thanks

Right now I'd say it's a possibility for both. The licenses they are requesting start in 2010 and run through 2019.

It's interesting for me to see so many here that are interested in Alaska. I say this because I was just there in Anchorage, AK for a whole week in April and was bored out of my mind. There's not much to do or see. The plane ticket alone is extremely high. My ticket was $1000, luckily my mom was traveling there on business and paid with her tax refund. Aren't mommies the best :lovestruc Flights by way of Seattle than onto Alaska are far and few between. I flew Alaska Airlines 10hrs long from Washington DC :scared1: My back hurt like heck! Anyway the food was so high, tons of nice gift shops and smaller eateries like Snow City Cafe. The locals are friendly and the Alaskian natives were also. They make wonderful crafts and furs are dirt cheap compared to the lower 48 states. I did do a whale watching cruise and didn't see much else but lots of water, a few sealions, and dale sheep. I did see the tale of a whale going back into the water though.....boy they're fast! The mountains covered with snow was beautiful but that's it.:confused3 Suffice it to say I never in my life want to go back. I've heard ppl say how much they loved Alaska and then I ask how did they travel, on a crusie or actually stayed on land. Most say by cruise and then I say well you haven't really been to AK, you just sailed around it. There wouldn't be much to do in way of excursions and for the ones offered like the railroad, helicopter tours to Glacier Bay are so expensive it ridiculous. But if you like hunting, fishing, hiking, canoeing, and living off the land type of thing than it may appeal to you. But ya never know until ya go and experience it for yourself, right?

Just my 2 cents:upsidedow

I would however like a hawaiian cruise. I think that's the only way I could possibly afford to go and visit most of the islands.

Most say by cruise and then I say well you haven't really been to AK, you just sailed around it.

Alaska encompasses 570,380 square miles. The Anchorage municipality covers just under 2000 square miles or about 0.3% of Alaska's total area. Perhaps you are being a little harsh for someone who has spent a whopping 1 week there and in the off season? You might also note that roughly 3/4 of Alaska's population lives in coastal communities.

There wouldn't be much to do in way of excursions and for the ones offered like the railroad, helicopter tours to Glacier Bay are so expensive it ridiculous.

Alaska certainly has some very expensive excursions, but there are a LOT of choices. Have you checked the competing cruise lines for excursions? For NCL, I count no less than 47 excursions in Skagway, 40 in Juneau, and 44 in Ketchikan. That's 131 excursions to choose from ranging in price from around $20 per person to $2000 per person :eek: Do we really want to compare this to the 18 choices you get in Grand Cayman or the 16 choices you get in St. Maarten with DCL?

And you always have the choice of doing things on your own which will save you some money and broaden your choices even more.

Jazmine - you're judging the whole state based on one week in Anchorage in April! Many Alaskans aren't fond of the weather in April, either.

Cruises to Alaska are from May-September, with May and September being the shoulder season. We did a land trip in the interior in 2007 and 2008, and I liked those as well as, if not better than, the cruises. I also spent 7 nights total in Anchorage this month, and there were plenty of things to do there. (It should've been 6 nights, but our flight home was delayed 1 day!)

My way of thinking is that if people don't like the 2010 itineraries then they don't have to go.

I would love to see Alaska and going on DCL is the only way I will get to go with my kids while they are young precisely because it will add more activities for them. They are really into marine life so whale watching would be fun for them *if* we actually saw whales. I would love to see glaciers and such but they'll probably look at it once and say cool and that's it. But as long as we're on a very kid friendly ship, like DCL, there would be something for everyone. And a helicopter excursion at Glacier Bay would be cool too, we would cough up the $$ for that once in a life time type opportunity!

Fishing, polar bears, penguins, dog sleds... all things my kids and I would sign up for as well.

As my kids get bigger we'll probably get away from DCL and try RCCL (unless the new DCL ships have more pool/water type activities on board) but it looks like only their Vision and Radiance class ships go to Alaska right now. If a Freedom class ship went, I would be signing up for sure.

It looks like the RCCL cruises to Alaska go in and out of Vancouver (which is great IMO) but they are one way -- 7 day cruise NB and 7 day cruise SB. So to go round trip you'd have to do a back to back 14 day trip! Too long for us for that itinerary I think, we wouldn't want to go to each port twice. But if they could do a 10 day round trip out of Vancouver we'd be thrilled and lining up to book.

See to each their own. DH and I have no desire to go to Hawaii. I know it's a popular place but, just doesn't do anything for us.

Thanks for the great find. I can't wait to find out! We're booked for summer 2009 on Celebrity to Alaska, primarily because we got tired of waiting for DCL to go there. But, if they're going in 2010, we just might have to postpone it. Hmmmm . . . decisions, decisions!!!

I would love to see Alaska and going on DCL is the only way I will get to go with my kids while they are young precisely because it will add more activities for them. They are really into marine life so whale watching would be fun for them *if* we actually saw whales. I would love to see glaciers and such but they'll probably look at it once and say cool and that's it. But as long as we're on a very kid friendly ship, like DCL, there would be something for everyone. And a helicopter excursion at Glacier Bay would be cool too, we would cough up the $$ for that once in a life time type opportunity!

Fishing, polar bears, penguins, dog sleds... all things my kids and I would sign up for as well.

As my kids get bigger we'll probably get away from DCL and try RCCL (unless the new DCL ships have more pool/water type activities on board) but it looks like only their Vision and Radiance class ships go to Alaska right now. If a Freedom class ship went, I would be signing up for sure.

It looks like the RCCL cruises to Alaska go in and out of Vancouver (which is great IMO) but they are one way -- 7 day cruise NB and 7 day cruise SB. So to go round trip you'd have to do a back to back 14 day trip! Too long for us for that itinerary I think, we wouldn't want to go to each port twice. But if they could do a 10 day round trip out of Vancouver we'd be thrilled and lining up to book.

Most flights from port towns do NOT go to Glacier Bay. DCL has applied for a permit to cruise there.

You won't see polar bears or penguins on an Alaskan cruise. You'll see polar bears only if you are on a land trip to the Arctic Circle at the right time of year.

Royal Caribbean does 7-night roundtrips out of Vancouver on Serenade of the Seas and out of Seattle on Rhapsody of the Seas. Of those two - I think Serenade has the better itinerary. I hope there will NEVER be a Freedom-class ship going to Alaska! Even Voyager-class ships don't go there because they are TOO BIG and would overrun the Alaskan port towns. They also can't get through the Panama Canal. That's also why I doubt the new DCL ships will ever go to Alaska...too big.

Jazmine - you're judging the whole state based on one week in Anchorage in April! Many Alaskans aren't fond of the weather in April, either.
Actually the weather was great and above 60 degress the entire time I was there.
Cruises to Alaska are from May-September, with May and September being the shoulder season. We did a land trip in the interior in 2007 and 2008, and I liked those as well as, if not better than, the cruises. I also spent 7 nights total in Anchorage this month, and there were plenty of things to do there. (It should've been 6 nights, but our flight home was delayed 1 day!)

Alaska encompasses 570,380 square miles. The Anchorage municipality covers just under 2000 square miles or about 0.3% of Alaska's total area. Perhaps you are being a little harsh for someone who has spent a whopping 1 week there and in the off season? You might also note that roughly 3/4 of Alaska's population lives in coastal communities.

While there I interacted with lots of folks, natives included and some said the would like nothing more than to leave AK. When they said that I was thinking why did they come and stay so long in the first place :confused3 if they felt that way.

Alaska certainly has some very expensive excursions, but there are a LOT of choices. Have you checked the competing cruise lines for excursions? For NCL, I count no less than 47 excursions in Skagway, 40 in Juneau, and 44 in Ketchikan. That's 131 excursions to choose from ranging in price from around $20 per person to $2000 per person :eek: Do we really want to compare this to the 18 choices you get in Grand Cayman or the 16 choices you get in St. Maarten with DCL?

And you always have the choice of doing things on your own which will save you some money and broaden your choices even more.

After paying for airline tickets and having to then pay more$$$ for excursions is alot for a family. But if a person were to budget right they could do. I went to various places while there and like I said before if ya like living off the land, and interacting with wildlife, fishing and canoeing than that'd great. To each his own and Alaska is a fit for the right kind of vacationer, but not me. I don't care what they have cause I learned it wasn't the right fit for my vacationing choices. It was nice to see though.

My way of thinking is that if people don't like the 2010 itineraries then they don't have to go.

Nobody even knows where DCL will be going and ppl are speculating.

See to each their own. DH and I have no desire to go to Hawaii. I know it's a popular place but, just doesn't do anything for us.

I agree.

There must surely be a lot of us that are hoping for a full season in the Med!
I guess it is just speculation for now.
From what I read its more likely our turn will come once there are 4 ships. Then they may well send us one for a season!
Oh please....:worship:

I agree Jazmine. I asked my kids about Alaska and they both said they weren't interested in going to look at ice, snow and animals they see all the time at the San Diego Zoo (even though I explained that seeing them in the wild is totally different). So, we won't be in the competition for a suite on these cruises.

We also aren't interested in HI. To us that's not a cruise vacation but a "go lay on the beach" type of thing. I don't want to jump from island to island and sight see. I like to relax. But (as my teen says) that's just the way we roll. (Also, we've talked the limitations on HI cruising to death. There are a few threads way back.)

There must surely be a lot of us that are hoping for a full season in the Med!
I guess it is just speculation for now.
From what I read its more likely our turn will come once there are 4 ships. Then they may well send us one for a season!
Oh please....:worship:

I am interested in doing a Med cruise, but I don't want to go in the summer. If DCL were to start in the spring and continue through the fall - I might be persuaded to go with them...depending on the itinerary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter