2013 Point Chart Changes

DisneyStarWisher

Love My DVC!!!
This may have already been posted, but I don't recall seeing it. I just received my 2012 Vacation Planner with a letter that states, "In reviewing Vacation Points charts for 2013, we've determined that we need to adjust the number of Vacation Points required to reserve accommodations at some of our Disney Vacation Club Resorts. Of course, any increases in the number of points needed to reserve some nights would be offset by a reduction in Vacation Point requirements for other nights. We plan to post the updated charts online at dvcmember.com in early January."

Has anyone else received this? What kinds of changes do you think they are going to make to the chart? I'm a little worried!

This may have already been posted, but I don't recall seeing it. I just received my 2012 Vacation Planner with a letter that states, "In reviewing Vacation Points charts for 2013, we've determined that we need to adjust the number of Vacation Points required to reserve accommodations at some of our Disney Vacation Club Resorts. Of course, any increases in the number of points needed to reserve some nights would be offset by a reduction in Vacation Point requirements for other nights. We plan to post the updated charts online at dvcmember.com in early January."

Has anyone else received this? What kinds of changes do you think they are going to make to the chart? I'm a little worried!

The most common guess is moving dates in the seasons. For example, the first 2 weeks of December are very popular but is in adventure season, the lowest. Food & Wine is also popular and is in choice, which is second lowest.

The most common guess is moving dates in the seasons. For example, the first 2 weeks of December are very popular but is in adventure season, the lowest. Food & Wine is also popular and is in choice, which is second lowest.

This is exactly what I was afraid of! We always go the first week of October since we are both teachers and we have a Fall Break. I hope the point increase is not too drastic. We already don't have enough points!

This is exactly what I was afraid of! We always go the first week of October since we are both teachers and we have a Fall Break. I hope the point increase is not too drastic. We already don't have enough points!

I hear you, I'm in the same boat. The points required for my trips is up due to the last 2 reallocations now it will go up more. I'm not adding on, it will just mean less trips.

I hear you, I'm in the same boat. The points required for my trips is up due to the last 2 reallocations now it will go up more. I'm not adding on, it will just mean less trips.

I also hope they don't mess with the value category at AKV. After staying in a value studio last week, I have found my new love! (Well, besides a 2-BR savanna view at Kidani...) They are so great for quick trips where you want to save some points. In fact, I have a 2-BR value booked for 3 nights next fall, before hopefully moving to VWL.

What's interesting is that they said "some" resorts. That implies to me that they might change the dates of seasons only for the Epcot resorts for the F&W (if that's even possible) or play around with the AKV value points, if they can. I know the HHI resort is popular over Thanksgiving-maybe they'll change the season for that time.

I also hope they don't mess with the value category at AKV. After staying in a value studio last week, I have found my new love! (Well, besides a 2-BR savanna view at Kidani...) They are so great for quick trips where you want to save some points. In fact, I have a 2-BR value booked for 3 nights next fall, before hopefully moving to VWL.

I agree...we booked it three times and if we ever want to go for premier season we could only get a value 2 bedroom for 4 nights with our akv contract. I hope they don't mess with the value villas.

What's interesting is that they said "some" resorts. That implies to me that they might change the dates of seasons only for the Epcot resorts for the F&W (if that's even possible) or play around with the AKV value points, if they can. I know the HHI resort is popular over Thanksgiving-maybe they'll change the season for that time.

My guess would be that they are targeting all the WDW resorts when they say "some" as I cannot think of any justification to rearrange point requirements now at Aulani or VGC or even HH or Vero, which are probably the ones they are leaving out when they say "some."

My DH opened the mail yesterday and solemly handed me the insert letter in from our pkg. I told him it was 'old news';)heard about it here already.

I realize it's a remote possibility but just hope that they don't reduce the weekends/increase the weekdays again.:headache:It messed up a what I thought was a well-planned add on already.

I don't even want to think that they might revert back to lowering the point cost for weekdays. I never understood why weekend guests were supporting weekday guests.

I think from day one the plan was to make many changes to the point charts, but had to be done in a little at a time because of that rule about a vote. So instead of making all of the changes the first reallocation they are making it in three. But then there is a gap where no changes were made--so my there goes my theory down the drain. :rotfl:

I have to agree with the others it's probably a seasonal adjustment--some seasons are way too popular and are in high demand partly because of the low point cost. And other times of the year villas are empty because the points aren't low enough to attract guests.

Let's assume the target is first half of December and all of October for higher points as many suspect. A major question becomes how will DVD do it? You cannot just raise those without raising the other dates in the same seasons unless you flip them into different seasons or create a new season. Moreover, no date can increase (or decrease) by more than 20% which creates a real problem if DVD wants to flip those dates to new seasons. Take for example BWV. You could go only one higher season for the Dec dates and you cannot even do that with standard view for Ocotober unless you also lower points needed for standard view in Dream Season and if you moved Oct and first half of Dec what could replace them in their current seasons -- does May move to choice season and first half of Nov to adventure season?

I suspect, if it is true that Dec and October are the targets for higher points, that the members who really need to be worried are those who usually go in Jan or Sep or Nov (other than Thanksgiving) because the easiest way to raise Dec and Oct is to raise everything in their applicable seasons even though there is no reason to raise Sep, Jan or most of Nov and then lower somewhat all other seasons to offset the increases.

For the WDW properties, I have to admit the DVC point charts for seasons could use an update. October and early December have pretty high demand.

Does the POS state that a resort must maintain the same number of seasons? Or can new seasons be created to allow for point adjustments?

I suspect, if it is true that Dec and October are the targets for higher points, that the members who really need to be worried are those who usually go in Jan or Sep or Nov (other than Thanksgiving) because the easiest way to raise Dec and Oct is to raise everything in their applicable seasons even though there is no reason to raise Sep, Jan or most of Nov and then lower somewhat all other seasons to offset the increases.

But there is nothing that requires DVCMC to stay with five seasons, as it uses now. It could make up a sixth or seventh season to cover just October and December, or another season to lower August. Keep in mind there is nothing to prevent the leveling of all the seasons, or the leveling of all of the days of the week, such as seen with Aulani's point charts. As long as the reallocation is "point neutral" for the entire year, there are countless combinations of changes that can occur with a reallocation.

My DH opened the mail yesterday and solemly handed me the insert letter in from our pkg. I told him it was 'old news';)heard about it here already.

:lmao: my DH did the samething when the planner showed up. Told him "old news buddy, been on the DIS boards for weeks."

And don't get me started on sending out a planner with just 2012 points charts in December 2011.

My guess 1st 2 weeks of December and some or all of October will be moved to a different season. Now what timeframes get adjusted downward is the $64,000 question.

I think many people simply go during the times that their points allow.

So if they change the point allocation from October and December to a season I can't afford, I will simply change my plans to vacation during the months that are lowered.

I think that was the reason why dvd changed the weekdays to more points. Many people were simply going and staying Sunday thru Thursday.

The change will just force people to change their vacation plans to other times

So if they change the point allocation from October and December to a season I can't afford, I will simply change my plans to vacation during the months that are lowered.

I think that was the reason why dvd changed the weekdays to more points. Many people were simply going and staying Sunday thru Thursday.

Not if that family has kids in school or work obligations, like me. It's not that "simply" solved.

I like to vacation during Flower & Garden (spring), Food & Wine (October) or early December for Christmas. I'm not going to "simply" change my vacation times to winter or summer. I'll probably just go less.

Not if that family has kids in school or work obligations, like me. It's not that "simply" solved.

Well for people that have kids in school or have work obligations, I guess your looking more at a summer trip. You wouldn't be traveling much during October or early December. I guess some schools have off during this time, but I don't know many that do.

I just think that people will adjust and will travel during the lowest point season.

DVD will then have to reallocate again and the cycle will begin again.

Well for people that have kids in school or have work obligations, I guess your looking more at a summer trip. You wouldn't be traveling much during October or early December. I guess some schools have off during this time, but I don't know many that do.

I just think that people will adjust and will travel during the lowest point season.

DVD will then have to reallocate again and the cycle will begin again.

I guess you didn't read the whole thread. The following is Post #3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter