2014/2015 Beach and Yacht Club FAQ, Friends & Fun, Sept 2014-Mayl 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took this picture of Ninja Mom and the gang as we left to go to Hoop Dee Doo. From left to right: Lefty, Black Bart, Slim Pickins and Sally Starr.

Signed, Buzzy the fly, your horsing around guy!
It looks like someone had a hooping and hollering good time. :thumbsup2

I called back today and got a very nice gentlemen who had no problem with me booking far in advance. He said the Yacht Club is his favorite, I said me too :thumbsup2 So for now we are room only peeps until packages come out and hopefully a discount in the future party:

So glad you got sorted

To go along with the new DIS post mentioned above about the Yacht and Beach Club the DIS Podcast team did a show on each resort.
Only negative is Captains Grille and they didn't seem to know about the refurb schedule

http://www.disunplugged.com/2015/02/18/dis-unplugged-podcast-021915-7-in-7-beach-club/

http://www.disunplugged.com/2015/02/20/dis-unplugged-podcast-022015-7-in-7-yacht-club/
Just finished watching these and now I am totally freaked out about Captain's Grille:eek: We really enjoyed our breakfast there last summer and I have my DM and two DD booked to eat there while my DH and I go to Yachtsman. Has anyone been there for dinner recently? I had read a lot of great things about the dinner here, but now I'm totally rethinking this choice:confused3

What are canal views like at BCV? What are the good & bad points? I haven't made any request for room location so far. Online check in won't be for a while yet I don't think so I have time. So far I haven't been able to decide where to pick an area of BCV to request (they all sound like cool areas) I do think that I'd like a ground floor room though so that's probably my top choice for any request.

Janet Mom!!! Oh JAAANNNETTT MOM!!!!

I have a job for you to do.

I currently have 120 private messages in my inbox/outbox. I'm at "the limit"

Try to send me one. Go ahead! Try it!!!

;)
LOL! I sent you a private message back on February 6, just for sport to test drive the new system. You didn't respond and I forgot to bug you about it.

I'm going to send you another one now. I'm gonna do it! :)

Just finished watching these and now I am totally freaked out about Captain's Grille:eek: We really enjoyed our breakfast there last summer and I have my DM and two DD booked to eat there while my DH and I go to Yachtsman. Has anyone been there for dinner recently? I had read a lot of great things about the dinner here, but now I'm totally rethinking this choice:confused3
We ate there in January, everyone enjoyed their meal I think?

I'm doing a youtube search for Hoop Dee Doo Review 2/23/2015 and I'm not getting any results. Something "viral" must have happened....I'll search again tomorrow.

We've been frequent visitors to Disney, and now with a son in tow, we're going less frequently and trending toward 1BR villas. GF and YC are our favorites, and the Poly is the only deluxe we have not stayed at. Our last trip we split our stay between Boardwalk and Wilderness villas. We liked both, but want to try something new. Could not get a villa at GF or BLT, and not as interested in OKW or SSR, and want to save Poly for the rehab to be finished. AKL is a little too remote for us for this trip.

So we currently have a ressie at BCV 1BR for mid April. We have a few concerns though:

While we don't have particular problems with the décor and theming at BCV, but after watching the podcast, we're a little bit concerned about the condition of the rooms on the BCV side. From the pics, the furniture looked a little worn, and one of the side tables looked like it was a little beat up from water stains. But is it really as worn out as they indicated? With our son and a friend of his coming with us we don't anticipate a lot of room time. But we've also come to expect a certain standard not only at WDW, but also hotels in general, especially when we're paying rack rate -- we're not going down the points rental road. . .

Guest relations confirmed there will be a hard goods rehab expected to start mid March, so that will be ongoing. If anyone has more info, could they share please. It doesn't sound like the extensive rehabbing like the BC standard rooms. but is that needed???

Are there really any views from the BCVs? We haven't stayed at BC in many years and I can't recall a lot of the layout. Seems like they are tucked into the woods so it's either a canal/parking view or woods view.

We love the location, and think the kids will love Stormalong Bay, so we're still leaning toward BCV. But I know we can get a discounted 1BR villa over at Boardwalk that's quite a bit cheaper.

Any thoughts, and in particular comments about the BCV room conditions? Are the beds/mattresses in good shape despite the furniture being a little beat up? I know some here have said things are a little worn, but so worn that you would never go back until it is rehabbed?

Only you know for certain about what will meet your standards. We own at BCV and were there in November. Although a refresh is due, our Villa was fine. And based on reviews like you refer to, I really looked for flaws. It was clean and in very good shape. Yes the furniture needs to be updated, but I wouldn't hesitate to go again and in fact we are booked for October and will be fine in an "old" room.

What are canal views like at BCV? What are the good & bad points? I haven't made any request for room location so far. Online check in won't be for a while yet I don't think so I have time. So far I haven't been able to decide where to pick an area of BCV to request (they all sound like cool areas) I do think that I'd like a ground floor room though so that's probably my top choice for any request.

A Canal view is a nice view, but some (many) of the canal view rooms have a service road behind them. This bothers many folks. I actually liked sitting on my balcony with my morning coffee watching the early buses and the World come alive. There are no spectacular views at BCV. I never request a specific view anymore, but rather I request close to elevator.
Have a Great Trip.

We're big water-drinkers and from what I understand, bottled water is not usually available in the club lounge and TBH, for environmental reasons, we usually prefer to bring our own refillable water bottles. The Orlando area tap water has a bit more of a taste than we're used to, but we've never had any problem with the filtered water from the resort and park soda machines. Is there a communal pitcher of water in the club lounge big enough to fill several water bottles? Is it filtered? Where on property is the soda machine? Thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks for the help. I'm not sure if I'm going to request anything more than a ground floor room. I'm just so excited at being able to stay at BCV that I'm ok with any view at the moment. I saw a picture online of what you can do an online request for, it didn't mention 'pool view' does that mean its not available for request (quiet pool that is, not SAB)

Is there a communal pitcher of water in the club lounge big enough to fill several water bottles? Is it filtered? Where on property is the soda machine? Thanks in advance for any help!
In the past they there has been large bottles of drinking water (Evian?) in the CL lounge. You could refill your personal bottle from that one or even request you're own to take back to the room.
The soda machines are in the BC Marketplace.

Thanks for the help. I'm not sure if I'm going to request anything more than a ground floor room. I'm just so excited at being able to stay at BCV that I'm ok with any view at the moment. I saw a picture online of what you can do an online request for, it didn't mention 'pool view' does that mean its not available for request (quiet pool that is, not SAB)
Here's an oldie but goodie map that shows the orientation and views from the BCV's. Happy planning.
http://www.parkinfo2go.com/dvc-bcv/

Had dinner there twice in the last month and both times it was fantastic. I had a guest tell me last weekend it was the best meal they had on property.

We will be staying Dec 6-14 at YC. I'm thinking of changing to the BC because of the refurb that has just been done. Looking at the Disney website for reservations I noticed that the Deluxe CL rooms are cheaper ($25 per night) than the Water view CL rooms. I know that the Deluxe rooms are quite a bit bigger, so I'm a little confused why the price would be cheaper. Both offer water views and some have balconies. Any thoughts on why the difference in price? Its just me and my DH celebrating our 35 anniversary. Which one would you chose and why?

Bye Bye Bon Bons

I have an announcement that may be upsetting to some... The chefs at the resort are no longer making Oreo Bon Bons for sale in the Beach Club Marketplace gift shop. This was once the signature dessert at the Cape May Clambake, but I believe they were discontinued at the buffet there awhile ago. Since then, they have been for sale in 6 packs in one of the grab and go cases, but I have been told by someone who was there yesterday that the last day they were selling them was Saturday.

Just in case anyone is having withdrawals, here is a recipe for the play at home version.

I'll add this to the Community section on Page 1 so it can be accessed indefinitely.

IMG_0352-1.jpg

Oreo Bon Bons

Ingredients (Yield 3 Dozen)

Mousse

1. 16 oz. heavy cream
  2. 6 egg yolks
  3. 16 oz. white chocolate
  4. 4 gelatin sheets or 2 tbs. powdered gelatin place in 3 oz water
  5. 1 dozen Oreo Cookies (crumbled)
  6. 3 dozen Oreo Cookies (whole)
Ganache

1. 16 oz. dark chocolate
  2. 16 oz. heavy cream
Instructions

Mousse

1. Melt chocolate.
  2. Whip 16 oz. heavy cream until consistency of ice cream.
  3. Place gelatin in cold water.
  4. Heat egg yolks until warm; add chocolate, stirring constantly.
  5. Place gelatin in microwave until gelatin is dissolved.
  6. While gelatin is heating, add one third of heavy cream to the egg yolk and white chocolate mixture; mix well.
  7. Add a little of the cream to the heated gelatin and mix well, then add both the gelatin mixture and the chocolate mixture to the remaining whipped cream and fold until incorporated.
  8. Fold in crumbled cookies, mixing well. Let mousse set up, around 2-4 hours.
  9. Place 3 dozen Oreo cookies on a sheet pan. Pipe mousse onto cookies, and dip into ganache.
Ganache

1. Over light heat, melt 16 oz. chocolate into 16 oz. of heavy cream, mixing until combined.

Attachments

• IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    634.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter