2018 Epcot International Food and Wine Festival: August 30 to November 12, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are passholder, have you been able to secure a wristband for Eat to the Beat ? If so, what day of the week and what show time ?

My husband refuses to look at F&W information before our trip at the end of the month, but just asked me what the lamb situation in Australia is this year, and I was very happy to see that they really did bring back the lamb chop, that t-bone last year was gross and very difficult to eat. He is going to be so excited!!!!!!

Is it time for my trip yet???

If you are passholder, have you been able to secure a wristband for Eat to the Beat ? If so, what day of the week and what show time ?
I think it depends upon how popular the group is. On our first day we arrived at the area to pick up our bands about 1:00 and they were all gone, on the second day we were at the rope drop for the back part of the park, 11:00 am and went directly to the area and had our choice of show times. There were a number of people on both sides of the lake waiting, if you want to be closest stand on the France side. You can't get the wristbands the day ahead.
FYI - They clear everyone out after each show and then you have to get in line if you want to see another show. I recommend you get the first show and arrive early to get your best choice of seats. For MercyMe half of the front section was reserved for Eat to the Beat, the other half was for those who wanted to wait for their seats (they have done this since so many were sitting outside of the pavilion for hours in the sun), the passholders section was the 3 rows behind these sections, just beyond the covered area, then the rest was general seating.

I think it depends upon how popular the group is. On our first day we arrived at the area to pick up our bands about 1:00 and they were all gone, on the second day we were at the rope drop for the back part of the park, 11:00 am and went directly to the area and had our choice of show times. There were a number of people on both sides of the lake waiting, if you want to be closest stand on the France side. You can't get the wristbands the day ahead.
FYI - They clear everyone out after each show and then you have to get in line if you want to see another show. I recommend you get the first show and arrive early to get your best choice of seats. For MercyMe half of the front section was reserved for Eat to the Beat, the other half was for those who wanted to wait for their seats (they have done this since so many were sitting outside of the pavilion for hours in the sun), the passholders section was the 3 rows behind these sections, just beyond the covered area, then the rest was general seating.
This is my first time having an annual pass. Is this wristband for preferred annual pass seating free? And if so where do you go to get it? TIA

Thanks for replying. I was hoping to get a wristband on my arrival Day, Saturday, should be able to be in EPCOT around 12:30ish, but it seems like they will be gone by than. Was there a table set up for the wristbands ? Was it near the stage or do you go to the American Adventure Pavilion ?

Thanks for replying. I was hoping to get a wristband on my arrival Day, Saturday, should be able to be in EPCOT around 12:30ish, but it seems like they will be gone by than. Was there a table set up for the wristbands ? Was it near the stage or do you go to the American Adventure Pavilion ?
They have an area set up on the left side of the concert area. It's worth it to ask if there are any available, you never know.pixiedust:Hopefully you'll get lucky, if not try the Eat to the Beat at the America Counter Service. It's the cheapest of the Eat to the Beat seating.

Sunday Brunch with the Chef ( 9/2 with Chef Richard Blais)

I attended the Sunday brunch event yesterday and since it was the first one of this year’s festival and they’ve changed things up a bit this year, I figured I’d share some details.

Event description per Disney: Brunch, Q&A and Exclusive Meet and Greet

Start your day in the most delicious way at our 2-hour event featuring a breakfast buffet and a distinguished, gourmet guest. During this event, you’ll kick things off with a sparkling wine toast, enjoy an amazing spread of flavorful dishes— and listen to the celebrity guest dish out their favorite tips and tricks. Plus, foodie fans are in for a fabulous pièce de résistance following brunch—a meet-and-greet photo opportunity with the guest of honor.

· World ShowPlace Events Pavilion
· Select Sundays throughout the Festival
· 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM
· $129 per Guest—plus tax, gratuity included
· Epcot admission required

The location is new this year – held in the World Showplace (between Canada & UK). I appreciated this change as it didn’t require trekking over to Future World and also made it feel like more of a premium event. In years past when held in the Festival Center, there were lots of bystanders who stood on the other side of the potted-plant border and basically watched & listened to the presentation for free. Plus you also had to contend with the ambient noise of the other activities in the Festival Center. In the new venue it was just those of us who had purchased tickets and felt much more exclusive. The size of the room also allowed the tables to be more spaced out and you could move around easily.

The event was scheduled to begin at 11:30am and I arrived ~11:15 and they were already checking in at a podium outside. Table assignments were pre-determined. I don’t think there’s any benefit to early arrival for this event. In fact, even though it was blazing hot out, they didn’t open the doors until 11:30.

Immediately upon entry, we were handed a glass of sparkling wine and set about finding our table assignments. There were ~24 tables of 6 in the room… thoughtfully set so no-one had their back to the stage.

View attachment 347912

Speaking of the stage, it was immediately apparent it was not a cooking demo. Now, to be fair, as you saw in the above description they don’t imply it would be. But I hadn’t been sure what to expect.

View attachment 347913

On the table was a menu and set to the side of the room were two buffet tables – one with hot foods and one with cold (picture below). Note for those attending future events: in years past, the core menu has stayed the same for each brunch during the festival and the singular chef dish varies.

View attachment 347914 View attachment 347915

I recognized the host for this event from many prior years. She came out on stage ~11:35-ish to introduce the event. She emphasized it was the first event of this type and that they’d been “dreaming” of doing it for years. I thought that was a little odd as it’s not so far afield from other events that it would require years of prep but whatever. She explained the event format – we’d enjoy the buffet, a bit later she and the chef would come out for a conversation (there were cards on our tables to submit questions), during that conversation we’d be served another dish based on the chef’s recipe (so don't completely fill up at the buffet), and after the conversation we’d have a photo opportunity with the chef. Side note: I saw that he was doing a book signing in the Festival Center later in the day, at 2:30. So if a celeb chef is visiting and you didn’t get tickets to the brunch, might be worth exploring the book signing.

Tables were invited to the buffet one by one, which I appreciated as opposed to a stampede. Again, two tables – one hot and one cold- and each two-sided. There was also a “toast station” where you could toast bread, bagel etc. And there were some pastries on each table. I’m not a big breakfast person but found plenty that I would enjoy. There was nothing I thought was “to die for” but I thought it all very good (again, not really a breakfast person).

At the risk of sounding like I have a problem, I will note that the wine was not free flowing (in contrast to, for example, bottomless mimosas along with buffet and multiple entrees at California Grill on Sundays for $80). You could ask your server for a refill but it didn’t seem like this was something they were too excited about and it definitely wasn’t offered/advertised. They had to go back into the kitchen to get a bottle to do a refill -- they didn't even have them out on the floor. Bottomless might be more than they want to commit to for various reasons but I don't think 2 glasses of sparkling wine over 2 hours at a $130 per-person event would be too much to expect as the minimum.

Around 12:05 the host came back out and introduced Richard Blais. He came out super high energy running around the tables filming an Instagram story. It was cute. All in all he was on stage for an hour until a bit after 1. It was interview style but I’d say he “took charge” in terms of telling stories and engaging with the audience and was funny and warm and did a really great job with it. If the chef were more reserved, I’m not sure how this format would work – although the host did seem like she’d really done her homework in terms of questions to ask. It might be a function of this particular conversation but it never touched on any specific cooking tips, whereas that was often naturally the focus in the demos (use this ingredient or this technique because of x). I didn’t mind it at all – I thought it was interesting to hear his perspective on his career, celeb chefs, cooking competitions and more - and this format doesn't have the distractions of the chef simultaneously trying to prepare a dish.

View attachment 347918

The host said that she would try to work in questions submitted from the cards on the tables. She didn’t read directly from any but perhaps went through in advance and pulled out common themes. There was no opportunity to ask a question “live.”

View attachment 347917

We were served “his dish” - Salmon Pico de Gallo Toast with Mango Yolk - toward the end of the interview and it was delicious. The photo below doesn't do it justice. The lighting in the room was purplish. And does anyone else get a Haunted Mansion vibe from the tablecloth? The decor was a bit odd. The recipe was also included with the menu provided.
View attachment 347916

The “interview” portion concluded at ~1:05 and we were advised that similar to the buffet process we’d be invited table by table to come over and take a picture with the chef (there was a separate area with a special F&W backdrop off to the side). By 1:15 it was apparent that this was not going to move quickly and I decided I’d prefer to wander around World Showcase since I don’t like pictures of myself anyway :blush:. Both buffets had been moved backstage (the tables were on wheels) during the interview portion and there were no more water, coffee, wine refills so it was really just sitting at your table until it was your turn. Again, I left but I'd be surprised if they got all 24 tables through by 1:30 (the advertised end of the event).

So, in summary, as a big fan of this chef, I had fun. I’m glad I attended and had the opportunity to hear a conversation with him. I would consider attending again in the future for another chef I was a really big fan of and hadn’t had the opportunity to see. I’m still on the fence as to whether I prefer the in-depth “interview” conversation format or a true cooking demo. There are pros and cons to each. If breakfast/brunch is your primary goal, I think there are better (& cheaper) options around WDW and I personally wouldn’t book this if you didn’t know the chef. For the first event of this type, I thought it was well organized with perhaps a couple of things to tweak.
Thank you for such a comprehensive review. Totally helps to know what to expect. I could see doing this if you liked the chef. I’m glad I kept my California Grill brunch. I’m so looking forward to that!

Can someone help me and post the link to the Eat to The Beat Concert series? I need a refresher on the artists that will be there during our vacation. Thank you.

Can someone help me and post the link to the Eat to The Beat Concert series? I need a refresher on the artists that will be there during our vacation. Thank you.

• August 30 to 31: Blue October
  • September 1 to 3: Tiffany
  • September 4 to 5: NEW! MercyMe
  • September 6 to 7: NEW! Glass Tiger
  • September 8 to 9: NEW! Tauren Wells
  • September 10 to 11: Postmodern Jukebox
  • September 12 to 13: NEW! Vertical Horizon
  • September 14 to 16: Baha Men
  • September 17 to 19: Plain White T’s
  • September 20 to 21: Living Colour
  • September 22 to 23: NEW! Sheila E
  • September 24 to 26: Sugar Ray
  • September 27 to 28: David Cook
  • September 29 to 30: Jeffrey Osborne
  • October 1 to 2: NEW! Jim Belushi & The Sacred Hearts
  • October 3 to 4: Everclear
  • October 5 to 7: Mark Wills
  • October 8 to 10: Air Supply
  • October 11 to 12: NEW! Anderson East
  • October 13 to 14: Smash Mouth
  • October 15 to 16: NEW! 98 Degrees
  • October 17 to 18: 38 Special
  • October 19 to 21: The Devon Allman Project
  • October 22 to 23: Kenny G
  • October 24 to 25: Billy Ocean
  • October 26 to 28: Starship featuring Mickey Thomas
  • October 29 to 31: Hanson
  • November 1 to 2: NEW! High Valley
  • November 3 to 4: Taylor Dayne
  • November 5 to 7: Boyz II Men
  • November 8 to 9: The Hooters
  • November 10 to 12: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Has anybody actually seen that pitcher? from the pics, the quality of the glass looks like a dollar store pitcher.

• August 30 to 31: Blue October
  • September 1 to 3: Tiffany
  • September 4 to 5: NEW! MercyMe
  • September 6 to 7: NEW! Glass Tiger
  • September 8 to 9: NEW! Tauren Wells
  • September 10 to 11: Postmodern Jukebox
  • September 12 to 13: NEW! Vertical Horizon
  • September 14 to 16: Baha Men
  • September 17 to 19: Plain White T’s
  • September 20 to 21: Living Colour
  • September 22 to 23: NEW! Sheila E
  • September 24 to 26: Sugar Ray
  • September 27 to 28: David Cook
  • September 29 to 30: Jeffrey Osborne
  • October 1 to 2: NEW! Jim Belushi & The Sacred Hearts
  • October 3 to 4: Everclear
  • October 5 to 7: Mark Wills
  • October 8 to 10: Air Supply
  • October 11 to 12: NEW! Anderson East
  • October 13 to 14: Smash Mouth
  • October 15 to 16: NEW! 98 Degrees
  • October 17 to 18: 38 Special
  • October 19 to 21: The Devon Allman Project
  • October 22 to 23: Kenny G
  • October 24 to 25: Billy Ocean
  • October 26 to 28: Starship featuring Mickey Thomas
  • October 29 to 31: Hanson
  • November 1 to 2: NEW! High Valley
  • November 3 to 4: Taylor Dayne
  • November 5 to 7: Boyz II Men
  • November 8 to 9: The Hooters
  • November 10 to 12: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Thank you! I am ecstatic about Boyz II Men.

I was just watching vlogs from The Tim Tracker and in two separate visits they found that registers at outdoor booths were shut down when there was lightning in the area and were accepting cash only. They noted that some had a CM with an ipad who could take credit card payments using that -- but not gift card. So just a PSA to plan to have some cash on hand, just in case.

I was just watching vlogs from The Tim Tracker and in two separate visits they found that registers at outdoor booths were shut down when there was lightning in the area and were accepting cash only. They noted that some had a CM with an ipad who could take credit card payments using that -- but not gift card. So just a PSA to plan to have some cash on hand, just in case.

This happened to me on two separate days with the China pavilion (seemed only some of the booths were having the issue). Very frustrating when you are trying to use snack credits.

Has anybody actually seen that pitcher? from the pics, the quality of the glass looks like a dollar store pitcher.

I saw it in person. I didn't feel I needed to buy it. Better than a dollar store but still looks like plastic.

I bought it. I actually think it's rather cute. I'm using it for decoration, but should I have the occasion to use it for real I would. It's not huge. Certainly not a standard 2-quart pitcher. I was so sad they were out of the glasses when I was there and I just had to have a passholder item since I'm a first time passholder so the pitcher it was!

Thank you so much for this information! We were totally just planning on using a gift card for everything.

just got the best type of E-mail,,,,,,from the Party for the Senses for the wine vue lounge participants. For the first time ever they will pick you up at your disney resort in a minnie van between 5-7 and it says to reply with the time you would like pick up and your reservation number. Also it mentioned early check in for credentials during the day at a few different spots, not sure if that is for all or just wine vue lounge. Getting excited!!!!!!

just got the best type of E-mail,,,,,,from the Party for the Senses for the wine vue lounge participants. For the first time ever they will pick you up at your disney resort in a minnie van between 5-7 and it says to reply with the time you would like pick up and your reservation number. Also it mentioned early check in for credentials during the day at a few different spots, not sure if that is for all or just wine vue lounge. Getting excited!!!!!!

I assume that the Minnie Van is included in the price?

If so that is really cool, and I am glad to see them doing things like this with the Minnie Vans - i think adding them as a "extra" to hard ticket events like this is a great idea

Got that email too, so happy we can pick up the credentials earlier in the day! Hoping this fixes the issues they had last year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter