2018 Free Dining

I was planning on going as a Solo the week after Thanksgiving before they announced Free Dining. For those of you that have done it before, how does it impact the crowds? Will the parks be packed during the free dining days?

I've been going solo the week after Thanksgiving for the past 7 years and it's progressively gotten crowded over the years. 2017 was my last time going that week.

I saw the offer at 11am today. (I was getting lax on my discount checking! I was a very bad DISer..) I had a major panic attack and called immediately. Who else waited on the phone over an hour? By the grace of God, I was able to add FD and upgraded to DDP. I did have to switch from ASMo to ASMu though. But it sounds like I got really lucky on getting a Value!! (What was up with ASMu not being included in the discount? Did that happen last year? I don't recall that. Apparently, ASMo is a popular resort. We have never stayed at any All Stars, so I don't know.)

Congrats to everyone else that was able to add FD, and I hope you have so so much fun on your (majorly discounted) trip!!

You can still snag a value with most dates if your flexible about the resort. POP Century is harder to get, nearly impossible. Also, the November dates available seem to be totally booked up.

I wanted November and I can't budge on our dates; so, I'll keep trying.

I did play around with September and late December dates for fun and there are values available.

Unfortunately, people overbook and then later tweak their reservations; so, you can get a value booking if you keep looking. Also, people change their minds and cancel reservations, too.

Last edited:

Any idea when they have historically released more rooms for the free dining promo? I am fortunate to have a reservation for free dining the week of 12/9 but might want to change to a different resort (although I’m very grateful for what I have). Been checking every day for a few weeks and nothing is available for 12/7 to 12/10 arrival. I realize they might not release more rooms but just curious when this has happened in past years.

Any idea when they have historically released more rooms for the free dining promo? I am fortunate to have a reservation for free dining the week of 12/9 but might want to change to a different resort (although I’m very grateful for what I have). Been checking every day for a few weeks and nothing is available for 12/7 to 12/10 arrival. I realize they might not release more rooms but just curious when this has happened in past years.

I think your only hope is a cancellation. I don't believe more rooms will be added by Disney. I've been looking just about everyday for a value in late November and there's nothing. I have browsed at your dates, too and the values aren't available. There are better openings in August and September still available.

I will keep trying, but I don't give it much of a chance to happen. Please post if you get lucky and I would be happy to take your old ressie if it's a value for December.

Last edited:

Thank you for the input - my reservation is actually for a deluxe and thinking I might go to Coronado. Not sure yet...

I think your only hope is a cancellation. I don't believe more rooms will be add by Disney. I've been looking just about everyday for a value in late November and there's nothing. I have browsed at your dates, too and the values aren't available. There are better openings in August and September still available.

I will keep trying, but I don't give it much of a chance to happen. Please post if you get lucky and I would be happy to take your old ressie if it's a value for December.
Thank you for the input. My current reservation is at a deluxe and considering moving to Coronado if something is available. Not sure yet if I’ll make that move because when they did have rooms available they were preferred and there really wasn’t much of a cost savings. I will keep monitoring, too. I know in the past they’ve released more rooms but that sure doesn’t mean that will happen this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter