2018 Princess Half Marathon

Can I ask a newbie question that I've seen hinted at, but never completely addressed?(and if the answer is in this thread somewhere and I've missed it, I apologize)

Why is the PHM so different from the other Disney halfs in terms of etiquette, "cheating", etc.? Is it just a completely different demographic(and I don't mean gender/age, I mean veteran runners vs. those who typically don't run races) than the other races, or are there logistical differences that cause the issues? Or both?

Uh...lots and lots of women???? LOL!!!

I dunno. Princess was my first 10K back in 2015. Princess was my first half in 2017. I think this weekend just tends to bring more new runners and their very first race experience. The amount of bibs disney sells is insane and I think they increase the number every year. There were over 9,000 runners in corral F. That to me is ridiculous. I have not run any other weekend, but I'm registered for the First Order Challenge in April. I'm curious to see just how different the race experience is. I submitted the same POT for DS & PHM so I'm thinking corrals should be the same for the 10K & half.

I still plan to run the Princess Half next year. PHM was my first race weekend and I have a soft spot for it. I know a lot of people don't care for the long stretches of road on World Drive, but I like the break from the crowding. I also want to see how much I can improve my time from year to year as long as they don't change the course.

My first WDW race was the Royal Family 5K in 2012... I registered less than a month before the race! And it was capped at 5,000 runners. (It was up to 10,000 in previous years, and I've seen speculation that it was maybe near 15,000 this year.)
Just looked back through my email and I registered for the 2014 5K (held on February 21, 2014) on January 25, 2014...?! :rotfl2:

I am a long time lurker on these boards because I have been participating in various Run Disney races with my family since 2013.

This past Princess weekend was the second year in a row that I ran the fairy tale challenge. When I run the 10ks for the challenges, I usually drop back corrals to run with my mom. My mom did not run this year so I went into my seeded corral - Corral A - which leads to my random question.

Is it normally so crazy in A with runners pushing and basically running over others to get to the front of corral A? When they took down the barriers and started to move the runners behind the rope, runners started pushing past others and then literally sprinting down the road to move to get as close to the rope as possible. I was near the right side of that corral and could see the barriers (but I was not right up against them) and I couldn’t believe how people ahead of me and behind me almost trampled each other to rush once we were told to move to the rope. I last ran a 10k in A at the Wine & Dine and did not experience that so I’m not sure if I missed it or if this race was just different. It just felt so weird to be run over by runners before the race even started!

Overall I enjoyed the race weekend again and find it interesting to participate in such a female-centric race atmosphere. But I felt uncomfortable to be in A for the 10k and basically run over for no real reason before the race even started and when the volunteers were just moving the corral to the start line. Has anyone experienced this before? Maybe I just need to start even further in the back of the corral to get out of the way to avoid it in the future!

Bree, I get your point entirely and “morbidly obese” is actually a medical term that’s been used for many, many years. I have seen runners every race that probably fit the requirements. I considered it an observation and not a judgment about size

Sorry, but you weren't close to a Top 10 in your age group, and it had nothing to do with who you had to pass.

There's a gal that usually finishes Top 3 overall in every RD race she does. For Princess Half, she decided to start DEAD LAST ... like, with the Balloon Ladies (her bib number was like 6, BTW - so she's an elite). And you know where she ultimately finished? 13th in her division and 49th woman and 81st overall.

Run your race and worry about you. It doesn't matter where you start or who is around you.

ETA: The person who finished 18th in your age group started 24 minutes after you and still net a better time.
Man, that sounds like a LOT of weaving

Huh. I’m so the opposite. In college my training partners were the guys on crew not the women.

Hey, I'm a mechanical engineer who works in manufacturing, it's refreshing for me to interact with mostly women. :)

Come back with me and stay at my pace and tell me about the wide roadways. :):):)

I did say that I wouldn't do this race if I ran at a slower pace, and props to the people who have the patience and commitment to do so. With all the photo stops, I probably was back where you were towards the end of the race. It was pretty much wall to wall walkers on the highway, but I did a lot of weaving and a whole lot of running on the grass and was always able to get past people. At the end of the event my garmin read that I had done 14.8 miles over the course.

I looooooved the white cherry Powerade. Yum.

Totally in agreement. Very happy to not have unnecessary food dyes too.

Why is the PHM so different from the other Disney halfs in terms of etiquette, "cheating", etc.? Is it just a completely different demographic(and I don't mean gender/age, I mean veteran runners vs. those who typically don't run races) than the other races, or are there logistical differences that cause the issues? Or both?

I do think more people sign up for this race thinking that they'll train and then it ends up that they don't. Or they're not runners, but think they'll just do this as their one and done race event.

Another key thing to remember for course crowding, you need to provide a proof of time if you are capable of finishing in under 2:45. Out of the 26,083 who registered, only 8,502 were able to do so (or 32.6% of participants). That leaves a lot of people in the back corrals, all trying to pass through areas of the course at the same time.

In contrast, for the Marathon weekend half marathon, you had 11,985 registrants provide a POT showing less than 2:45 finishing with 27,559 registrants for the course (or 43.5% of participants).

Is it normally so crazy in A with runners pushing and basically running over others to get to the front of corral A? When they took down the barriers and started to move the runners behind the rope, runners started pushing past others and then literally sprinting down the road to move to get as close to the rope as possible. I was near the right side of that corral and could see the barriers (but I was not right up against them) and I couldn’t believe how people ahead of me and behind me almost trampled each other to rush once we were told to move to the rope. I last ran a 10k in A at the Wine & Dine and did not experience that so I’m not sure if I missed it or if this race was just different. It just felt so weird to be run over by runners before the race even started!

I was in Corral F, aka the giant corral, and a million people stepped over me to try to get to the front before the race had even started. We were easily in the front quarter of the corral and most of them got stuck a few people in front of me anyway lol. It was annoying getting kicked so many times that early in the morning, especially since MOST OF THEM didn't even say excuse me. Like, we're in corral f, our position doesn't matter, and you could at least be polite!

Hey, I'm a mechanical engineer who works in manufacturing, it's refreshing for me to interact with mostly women. :)

I did say that I wouldn't do this race if I ran at a slower pace, and props to the people who have the patience and commitment to do so. With all the photo stops, I probably was back where you were towards the end of the race. It was pretty much wall to wall walkers on the highway, but I did a lot of weaving and a whole lot of running on the grass and was always able to get past people. At the end of the event my garmin read that I had done 14.8 miles over the course.

Totally in agreement. Very happy to not have unnecessary food dyes too.

I do think more people sign up for this race thinking that they'll train and then it ends up that they don't. Or they're not runners, but think they'll just do this as their one and done race event.

Another key thing to remember for course crowding, you need to provide a proof of time if you are capable of finishing in under 2:45. Out of the 26,083 who registered, only 8,502 were able to do so (or 32.6% of participants). That leaves a lot of people in the back corrals, all trying to pass through areas of the course at the same time.

In contrast, for the Marathon weekend half marathon, you had 11,985 registrants provide a POT showing less than 2:45 finishing with 27,559 registrants for the course (or 43.5% of participants).
Where do you find all those statistics? It would be fascinating to look at how the numbers breakdown in each race.

We had an early breakfast reservation on Sunday morning, so we saw the half marathon from a Disney bus on the way to the Magic Kingdom. It was about 9 AM and there were what looked like MILES of people walking the highway. The half marathon numbers must have been huge.

I am a long time lurker on these boards because I have been participating in various Run Disney races with my family since 2013.

This past Princess weekend was the second year in a row that I ran the fairy tale challenge. When I run the 10ks for the challenges, I usually drop back corrals to run with my mom. My mom did not run this year so I went into my seeded corral - Corral A - which leads to my random question.

Overall I enjoyed the race weekend again and find it interesting to participate in such a female-centric race atmosphere. But I felt uncomfortable to be in A for the 10k and basically run over for no real reason before the race even started and when the volunteers were just moving the corral to the start line. Has anyone experienced this before? Maybe I just need to start even further in the back of the corral to get out of the way to avoid it in the future!

It happened to me in B too. I was there early and had a spot along the front barricade. As soon as women saw the ribbon come out they started pushing, shoving and elbowing all so they could hold the ribbon and have their 5 seconds of fame on the TV screen.

It happened to me in B too. I was there early and had a spot along the front barricade. As soon as women saw the ribbon come out they started pushing, shoving and elbowing all so they could hold the ribbon and have their 5 seconds of fame on the TV screen.

That was my experience in C, too. I was surprised at all the people sprinting when the barriers moved. And the pushing and the shoving.

This was the second time I’ve done the Princess 10K, but first to do the 5K and Half Marathon.

I don’t remember people being like that in the corrals last year. But, again, I only have the 10K experience from 2017 for comparison.

The 5K was CRAZY crowded. Even starting in B. That race seemed to me to be the most congested, but maybe because the distance is the shortest?

Overall, I will say I had a really good experience and a great weekend. I was there alone, but I never felt lonely because there were so many interesting people to talk to every day. I went in with only the expectation of running fun races, and that was totally met.

I did feel for the Princess runners coming from up north, though. The weather was really messing with many of them because it was so far removed from what they were used to in training.

Obviously a few things have changed since then.
- I think the biggest thing is that runDisney's popularity greatly increased, and they began to add more races and to expand the capacity of the races they already offered.
- Princess seems to be their most consistently popular, best-selling race weekend - it was, I think, the first to add the 10K/challenge, and I think it's widely regarded as the most-welcoming, least intimidating (I guess?) weekend for newer runners. You will see a lot of first-timers at Princess (myself included, it was my first-ever half marathon). And newer runners just don't know race etiquette (again, I'll include 2011 Me in that...I didn't know what I was doing).
- I think social media plays a big role. People have runDisney blogs, Instagram accounts, etc. They want hits on their sites and head pats/congrats for getting a medal (notice I said "getting a medal," not "finishing the race" - looking at you, cheaters and corral jumpers!) or posting an awesome race/medal picture (see the previous post where people were taking selfies in the middle of Main Street). I think the mindset of "I paid for this race, I'm getting my picture/medal/etc." is pretty big at princess...I hate to say it, but it's a sort of sense of entitlement that I just don't see at the other race weekends.
- Along with the "look at me!" aspect of social media, I think another thing is that thanks to the internet, it's now widely known that what runDisney publishes on their website in regards to sweeping, who gets medals, etc. doesn't really line up with what they actually do. You don't HAVE to keep a 16:00/mile pace to avoid getting swept, they'll still give you your medals if you're over 16:00/mile and you finish ahead of the sweepers, and it's possible to cheat the corral placement system (see corral jumpers - I know someone who cheated with her corral placement, allowing her to start in the front half a couple of years ago, and she finished in something like 4:30 - still was allowed to finish, still got the half/GSC medals). You don't HAVE to finish the race to get a medal. And so on. I don't think this was as widely known a few years ago compared to now...so you have people that just want the medal/shirts/kudos, so they cheat. It just didn't used to be like that.

^^Nailed it!

Where do you find all those statistics? It would be fascinating to look at how the numbers breakdown in each race.

I did some math based off of bib assignments. You can see the corral lists at https://noguiltlife.com/2018-disney-princess-half-marathon-courses-event-guide-corrals/ and https://noguiltlife.com/2018-disney-world-marathon-corrals-waivers-course-event-guide/. I added up total number of bibs assigned numbers for the half and challenges, then added up the total number of bibs from the sub 2:45 corrals.

It's not perfect, but good enough for a back of the envelope comparison between the two races.

I've done 10+ RD events by now, but never PHM. I usually start in Corral A unless I'm running with family further back, and I've never encountered that sort of pushing or shoving. People will pack in a little close right before the gun, but I've never been personally pushed, shoved, or jostled. I find that a little disturbing, that people would act like that! Disney doesn't even offer prize money - there's no real reason to act like a twit in the corrals, but I guess some people do. At least in the events I've run, Corral A has a smaller crowd, and the pack opens up pretty quickly. If you're intent on going flat-out, you'll probably be out of the crowd in the first mile. There's just no reason to push and shove.

I didn't get pushed or shoved in any corral in 2015 or 2017. This year was a little crazy. I made my daughter link arms with me in the 5K corral because I thought we were going to get separated. Maybe it was the heat and humidity bringing out the crankypants in some people.

Let's talk about some GOOD things about the weekend. I love everyone's creativity when it comes to costumes and their ability to wear it for the entire race. I did see some capes, skirts and tutus on the side of the road though LOL!!! The jokes along the road just after the GF during the half made me giggle. They were corny, but cute. The cheese in the snack box....it's gross and bad for you, but I love it. It's the same cheese they were giving out with Mickey pretzels at MK!

And for amusement of people who don't read the Running 2018 thread (and he ran slower than what a "B" Corral should but wouldn't you also run slower in that outfit)

My husband's Half Outfit:

Before:
unprwAL.jpg

After:
SVCg7ri.jpg

He lost his Garter Belt around Mile 2 as it hurt and at that point, he sweated enough for the stockings to stay up.

I'll download the photo pass soon.

LOL! You guys were walking just in front of us from the buses. I should have said HI! but didn't want to intrude. It was, after all, 3:15am. I'll vouch that his attire was ON POINT. :)

My sister and I went down for the challenge. We had a great weekend! For the 10k I moved back with her to corral D and we definitely did some weaving, I think my GPS put us at 6.55 miles. For the half I moved back again to F but we went right to the corrals when we arrived and were up near the front. I have to say we didn't experience any pushing moving up to start. And we actually didn't add as much extra distance in the half. We ran 4 minute intervals but made sure to move to the side before our walk break came. I was surprised by how many people would just stop and walk up the middle of the lane, even in the narrow parts. That was definitely annoying. But we were always able to run when we wanted to.
The bottoms of my feet were sore but went away pretty quickly. We are in discussions about next year. My sister wants to do the challenge again but I'm thinking just the half and try to lower our time.

First PHM weekend, first ever rundisney challenge. My only other rundisney experience was the cancelled half marathon where I ran the marathon the next day. So I was excited to do the half course finally.

10K was great, I was in corral A and from what I could tell Challenge folks that were in corrals A-C for the half were in A for the 10K. Knowing this and knowing I was in corral C for the half I decided to start at the back of corral A for the 10k. I was in the 3rd wave of A and started at 5:35. My plan was to run comfortably, more like my training pace, to save some gas in the tank for the half the next day. But then the race started and I got all excited and ran somewhere between my normal race pace and my normal training pace. Stopped at way more characters than I planned on and found the lines to be very short. I only stopped at characters once I was in Epcot, and maybe waited behind 5 people max at each one. Finished at 1:08 and according to my garmin which auto paused each stop I had about 4 minutes of character stops. My 10K PR is 58 minutes. After stopping for a few pics before heading back to the resort I was showered and ready and waiting at Epcot by rope drop.

The next day for the half I learned a great lesson- respect the challenge! After the 10K my friend and I did a ton of walking and put in 9 miles in the parks. As you can guess that did not lead to a great half marathon time. I felt pain in my Achilles when I woke up that morning and it hurt every step of the way the whole race. We were in corral C and after talking strategy for the race we realized we were going to be back of the packers for C so we positioned ourselves towards the back. We didn’t experience any of the issues others have been mentioning and I think that’s because we just hung out in the back. I think we were in the second wave of C? We started 9 minutes after the clock started. We started off at around a 10:00-10:30 mile but just didn’t feel great (and I had to stop for bathroom breaks twice) in the first 5 Miles so we backed off the pace a little. We purposely took our time through magic kingdom and stopped for a few pics (including about 10 min for the princesses). The back half was a little harder until we got to the overpass, I’d say we were doing more of a 10:45-11:15 min mile. The last couple miles we actually felt great and sped up a little. We ended up with a 2:40 time and according to my garmin it was 2:25 if you take out the stops. So definitely not one of my better times. But we had a good time!! This was my 11th half marathon but might just be my favorite :).

I actually enjoyed the 10K a ton more than I thought I would. Even though I was alone for that one I felt like I ran so much easier and didn’t hurt anywhere haha! The half was fun too but next time I don’t think I will wear myself out in the parks the day before. I have another half in 2 weeks and I plan to see what I really can do! Also want to try wine and dine maybe next year.

This is...like...the eternal question. :confused3 I've wondered about this before too...scattered thoughts below that may not make sense.

I've done Princess twice - once in 2011 and a second time last year. In 2011, it was totally different - the race was newer and smaller (I think that was the 3rd year they had it? And there was something like 14K participants), there was no 10K/challenge component, I don't remember hearing/seeing anything about corral jumping, cheating, etc. (doesn't mean that it didn't happen, of course), and I personally don't remember etiquette being that bad. runDisney had just become "runDisney" (formerly the Disney Endurance Series I think) so their social media presence wasn't what it is now. Not as many people really knew about the races back then.

Obviously a few things have changed since then.
- I think the biggest thing is that runDisney's popularity greatly increased, and they began to add more races and to expand the capacity of the races they already offered. Example: In 2013 I did the WDW Half for the first time - exact same course as Princess - but the field was suddenly HUGE at 22K participants. That one remains my worst-ever runDisney race experience because I expected it to be like I'd remembered at Princess (frolicking through the course with tons of room and minimal photo lines), but it was incredibly crowded and I remember barely being able to run down Main Street, even though I started in the same/similar corral. Princess eventually grew to be that big, too. They made the corralling system better (it used to be 6 corrals starting every 10 minutes...then lots more corrals that were smaller starting every 2-5 minutes...now, whatever they're doing, which doesn't necessarily seem better?), but going from 14K to 22K was just insane.
- Princess seems to be their most consistently popular, best-selling race weekend - it was, I think, the first to add the 10K/challenge, and I think it's widely regarded as the most-welcoming, least intimidating (I guess?) weekend for newer runners. You will see a lot of first-timers at Princess (myself included, it was my first-ever half marathon). And newer runners just don't know race etiquette (again, I'll include 2011 Me in that...I didn't know what I was doing). runDisney publishes guidelines in their event guides, but they can't make people read them.
- I think social media plays a big role. People have runDisney blogs, Instagram accounts, etc. They want hits on their sites and head pats/congrats for getting a medal (notice I said "getting a medal," not "finishing the race" - looking at you, cheaters and corral jumpers!) or posting an awesome race/medal picture (see the previous post where people were taking selfies in the middle of Main Street). I think the mindset of "I paid for this race, I'm getting my picture/medal/etc." is pretty big at princess...I hate to say it, but it's a sort of sense of entitlement that I just don't see at the other race weekends.
- Along with the "look at me!" aspect of social media, I think another thing is that thanks to the internet, it's now widely known that what runDisney publishes on their website in regards to sweeping, who gets medals, etc. doesn't really line up with what they actually do. You don't HAVE to keep a 16:00/mile pace to avoid getting swept, they'll still give you your medals if you're over 16:00/mile and you finish ahead of the sweepers, and it's possible to cheat the corral placement system (see corral jumpers - I know someone who cheated with her corral placement, allowing her to start in the front half a couple of years ago, and she finished in something like 4:30 - still was allowed to finish, still got the half/GSC medals). You don't HAVE to finish the race to get a medal. And so on. I don't think this was as widely known a few years ago compared to now...so you have people that just want the medal/shirts/kudos, so they cheat. It just didn't used to be like that.

And to be clear, I do think that this stuff happens at ALL of the race weekends, it's just the most prevalent at Princess. :confused3

EDIT: I was bracing for the worst last year but thanks to decent corral placements and purposely going to the expo late in the day to avoid the nutso crowds, I had a pretty good experience. :)
Man, I've never done princess, but almost never want to.
Maybe Disney needs to reduce their time to a 15 min pace? Also require Pot for all races

He lost his Garter Belt around Mile 2 as it hurt and at that point, he sweated enough for the stockings to stay up.

Wow

They provided PowerAde and Cliff Bars to the room the day of the 10k along with a note!

Neat! Jealous.

The only thing I hated was the monorail situation. It is also why we won't stay at a monorail resort for a race weekend that starts in EPCOT.

Agreed.

They didn't have a bus back to the resorts?

We were told clearly this and last year (stayed at bay lake 2016 and 2017) that it was only monorail for the Half.

There was definitely a bus back to poly, shades of green, and vgf.

This year? After the half???

I walked back to Beach Club via Epcot and didn’t have to go through bag check or metal detectors. I entered over by where the finish line was and there was a clear path straight into Epcot over by the bathrooms on the left hand side. I went straight to the turnstiles. I assumed it was because you had to go through bag check to get into the race area???

We asked how to get to the monorail and went where they directed.

We were well back in F, I had a 3:38 Half, took a long time to meet up with family, we sat and ate for awhile (took that long for me to change shoes lol), family left, we moved so cousin could change her shoes....we were leaving the area shortly after the announcers were yelling people that the buses would be done at some upcoming point.

Then of course there’s the long walk towards Epcot.

Annnnd as I remember it in my head it’s possible we didn’t follow the previously marked path. Maybe that was the problem. If I’m remembering correctly. I was in rough shape.

Anyway, we asked and were told to go the way we were told to go.

The course congestion was just astounding from start to finish.

Yep.

It was a dead stop going into the castle.

I finally didn’t get a dead stop but when I saw the medic bikes riding through the castle with the wall to wall people I knew I couldn’t even pretend to jog through. Sigh.

But no one came to a dead stop in front of me, so that was good.

Listen, I'm not fast, and I run-walk, so it's not like I'm some elite runner here... but we really do need to leave at least a single lane open for faster people to pass!

YES.

And that doesn’t mean grass, and that especially doesn’t mean grass on a slope.

It's all about being aware.

Yes.

All good questions that I don't think anyone can answer with any surety. I think it's a combination of things: rD packing way too many people on a race course, a larger than avg number of new runners, more people running who are unsure of their ability and/or haven't trained as well as they'd like, more people more interested in having fun vs. running a race. And also sparkly things. ;) Other than the first one (rD making races too full), I don't think any one of those items is a problem on its own, but combine it all together, and you get the Princess Effect, maybe.

Yes. Yes and yes.

it used to be 6 corrals starting every 10 minutes...then lots more corrals that were smaller starting every 2-5 minutes...now, whatever they're doing, which doesn't necessarily seem better?

Last year thy had more than 6 for the half AND they did mini waves. I liked it.

This year they compressed us and did more mini waves. I lost track of what corral they were on.

There were over 9,000 runners in corral F. That to me is ridiculous.

But with the mini waves it’s the same as last years 3 corrals encompassing the “longer than 2:45 but shorter than 3” timeframe.

I also want to see how much I can improve my time from year to year as long as they don't change the course.

They changed it a bit just from last year FYI.

Man, that sounds like a LOT of weaving

I can’t evrn imagine.

I don’t like the dead last start junk, though I’m on the FB page that they admin. It feels misogynistic (last year at least they called it “kills” as they went by each person, and at a female-centric race where the men KNOW they’ll be faster than most women, that feels ugly) and awful, and also like a huge pain.

And they still aren’t getting the back of the pack experience, because they are leaving us behind.

At the end of the event my garmin read that I had done 14.8 miles over the course.

Wow. I had like 5 portapotty stops and only hit 13.7!

That leaves a lot of people in the back corrals, all trying to pass through areas of the course at the same time.

Yep.

The half marathon numbers must have been huge.

About 25k.

Maybe Disney needs to reduce their time to a 15 min pace?

Why???

Also require Pot for all races

Why?????

Along with my many “whys”, in a race that has multiple character stops, it doesn’t matter what you can do in another race since you might still be slowing down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter