2023 MCM thread

Mr_Incr3dible

50 miles at 55!
Starting a 2023 Marine Corps Marathon thread. Why?
1. Because I haven’t seen any good forums for it elsewhere. (Countdown to someone telling me exactly where I should be looking)
2. There are at least two of us running it this fall
3. This will be my first non-Disney marathon, so pics will be minimal and I’ll be going for a PR (not too difficult since my prior marathons were part of a Goofy and a Dopey)
4. I have a lofty goal of 5 hours for this race
5. I’m excited to be doing it. I got in twice about 12 years ago and twice wasn’t able to go due to divorce chaos.

Hopefully anyone else attending will chime in, especially if you have any good advice.

Hello hi yes, I am running as well! My goal is sub-4 hours, and to train/pace better so I do not blow up like I did in my first and only full marathon last year. I'm excited, however it is getting hot here in DC this week and this seemed like a much better idea before I realized I'd need to start training in July.

Hello hi yes, I am running as well! My goal is sub-4 hours, and to train/pace better so I do not blow up like I did in my first and only full marathon last year. I'm excited, however it is getting hot here in DC this week and this seemed like a much better idea before I realized I'd need to start training in July.
I run all summer in the afternoon heat of Atlanta, so for me it is de rigeur. (My running nemesis is cold air in my lungs…)
My plan was to not push it too hard in the 1st mile or two with the little bit of uphill there is, and from the sounds of it with the crowding I may wind up not able to run a bunch there anyway. After that, I expect to be able to maintain a decent pace, especially if I manage to bump up my training between now and then.
I will be at the Hilton Garden Inn and (I think) go just one stop up to Crystal City to walk to the start?

I'm running the 10K for fun. I had free entry to this year's MCM (was registered for the 2020 cancelled race) but decided to step down to fun run distance since I have Chicago and NYC lined up this fall.

I ran MCM in 2019 and I'm local (we lived in Pentagon City for about 6 years before we bought our current place in Alexandria), so if you have any questions about the race or the area, feel free to ask.

I'll be there cheering on my son and a few friends running it this year. The MCM is a bit like the Disney Marathon - you never know what sort of weather you're going to get until race week. Last year was near perfect - about 40 at the start and temps in the low 50s the rest of the morning. I've also run it when it the hit the high 70s, however, so just be prepared for anything. It's a great race with good local support and a lot of history. 2025 is the 50th anniversary, so I'm definitely running that one. Good luck!

Thanks! I’m still hoping to do both but there’s a decent chance I’ll defer one of them until next year.
I did both last year, so it's certainly possible. They're great races, although they were both quite warm last year; heat being my kryptonite, that part was not fun. Still, doing a major is always epic. Good luck!

I'm running the 10K for fun. I had free entry to this year's MCM (was registered for the 2020 cancelled race) but decided to step down to fun run distance since I have Chicago and NYC lined up this fall.

I ran MCM in 2019 and I'm local (we lived in Pentagon City for about 6 years before we bought our current place in Alexandria), so if you have any questions about the race or the area, feel free to ask.
Other than the route, this race is mostly and unknown to me in terms of the logistics.
So my questions:
If the number gets mailed to me, is the expo worth visiting? They'll have things like a t-shirt and mug? (which would be about all I'd want)
I'll be near the Crystal City metro station. My main question is: do I go to Pentagon City or Pentagon station to walk to the race start?
I've seen articles mention that after the race go to Courthouse instead of Rosslyn station to avoid a huge line.
My wife will be back at the hotel and won't be able to get to the race finish, so is there much at the finish that I should hang around for, or just start working my way back?
And it sounds like one big corral, so get there early to be near the front of the corral.
What else should I know?

Other than the route, this race is mostly and unknown to me in terms of the logistics.
So my questions:
If the number gets mailed to me, is the expo worth visiting? They'll have things like a t-shirt and mug? (which would be about all I'd want)
I'll be near the Crystal City metro station. My main question is: do I go to Pentagon City or Pentagon station to walk to the race start?
I've seen articles mention that after the race go to Courthouse instead of Rosslyn station to avoid a huge line.
My wife will be back at the hotel and won't be able to get to the race finish, so is there much at the finish that I should hang around for, or just start working my way back?
And it sounds like one big corral, so get there early to be near the front of the corral.
What else should I know?
Expo is roughly on par with a Disney expo, imo. Brooks is the main sponsor and has plenty of event specific merch including shirts and mug. Other brands may have event merch as well ( I have a lululemon shirt I got in 2019 that I really like).

You mentioned Hilton garden Inn, if it’s the one of of Richmond highway, I would just walk up Eads to the start. If you absolutely wanted to metro, two stops up to Pentagon. It should be noted that runners village and start is about halfway up 110 from my memory, so a bit of a walk even if you take the metro.

Yeah, no to walking to courthouse stop imo unless you’re a masochist and want to walk uphill after running a marathon. Additionally, you’ll have to transfer trains at Rosslyn anyway to get back on blue line to head south to Crystal city. DC metro has some of the steepest and longest escalators in the world. Rosslyn is one of them. Stand on the right, hold onto the railing, and don’t look down haha.

Post race, there’s usually a band playing and a beer garden. I’d plan to hang out for at least a bit but wouldn’t count on making a big thing out of it.

Corrals are self-seeding essentially with signage indicating anticipated times. I would strongly suggest lining up along your anticipated time. In my experience, no need to get there early to get to the front of anything. Just show up in time to use the porta-potties a couple of times (pro tip: there are some along the sides of the corrals) and accurately self seed. Marathon maniacs does good pace groups for all paces, so could be a great option if you’re trying for a certain time.

Hmm, I would suggest respecting the hill from 110 to Rosslyn more than you think. Don’t burn away a match on it when you don’t have too. Same with rock creek park section, and 14th street bridge is a lot tougher at mile 20.

Overall it’s a really fun and organized race. If you’re used to rundisney events, you’ll be floored by the support, both marines and crowd.

Expo is roughly on par with a Disney expo, imo. Brooks is the main sponsor and has plenty of event specific merch including shirts and mug. Other brands may have event merch as well ( I have a lululemon shirt I got in 2019 that I really like).

You mentioned Hilton garden Inn, if it’s the one of of Richmond highway, I would just walk up Eads to the start. If you absolutely wanted to metro, two stops up to Pentagon. It should be noted that runners village and start is about halfway up 110 from my memory, so a bit of a walk even if you take the metro.

Yeah, no to walking to courthouse stop imo unless you’re a masochist and want to walk uphill after running a marathon. Additionally, you’ll have to transfer trains at Rosslyn anyway to get back on blue line to head south to Crystal city. DC metro has some of the steepest and longest escalators in the world. Rosslyn is one of them. Stand on the right, hold onto the railing, and don’t look down haha.

Post race, there’s usually a band playing and a beer garden. I’d plan to hang out for at least a bit but wouldn’t count on making a big thing out of it.

Corrals are self-seeding essentially with signage indicating anticipated times. I would strongly suggest lining up along your anticipated time. In my experience, no need to get there early to get to the front of anything. Just show up in time to use the porta-potties a couple of times (pro tip: there are some along the sides of the corrals) and accurately self seed. Marathon maniacs does good pace groups for all paces, so could be a great option if you’re trying for a certain time.

Hmm, I would suggest respecting the hill from 110 to Rosslyn more than you think. Don’t burn away a match on it when you don’t have too. Same with rock creek park section, and 14th street bridge is a lot tougher at mile 20.

Overall it’s a really fun and organized race. If you’re used to rundisney events, you’ll be floored by the support, both marines and crowd.
Lotsa good advice. Much appreciated

DC metro has some of the steepest and longest escalators in the world. Rosslyn is one of them.

I learned a long time ago the elevator at Rosslyn is significantly faster than the escalator, even if you have to wait for it. That doesn't always work out at other stations, but for whatever reason at Rosslyn it does.

I did both last year, so it's certainly possible. They're great races, although they were both quite warm last year; heat being my kryptonite, that part was not fun. Still, doing a major is always epic. Good luck!
Thanks! Congrats on doing both last year, the NYC heat was no joke. A buddy of mine dropped out early due to it.

Yes, majors are the best. This will be my fourth Chicago and first NYC. I did Berlin last year (unfortunately ended with a DNF, but that means I get to go back!) and I just found out I got a charity place for London next year. With London on deck, I may defer Chicago to save some money. While majors are always awesome, they definitely are pricey.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter