3 Hours for HS and 4 for MK. Any advice?

Blue dear.

I haven't been this confused since Algebra II.
So my friend and I are attending a work conference in Orlando in late June and we're BOUND AND DETERMINED to go to HS the day of arrival (5PM at the airport) and MK the next day after conference ends (4PM). We've already bought our tix and made ressies so there's no turning back now.

Our main problem is Day 1 - - getting from the airport at 5pm, to our offsite hotel to check in/drop off luggage (20 min from airport), and then high tail it to HS as quickly as possible to get the most bang for our WDW buck (20 min from our hotel).

Any advice? I know it's nuts, but we're just so excited for the opportunity.

PS - We just plan on snacking, shopping, and trying to get into RotR at some point. RnR was top of our list but it's being refurbed, so... boo.

So my friend and I are attending a work conference in Orlando in late June and we're BOUND AND DETERMINED to go to HS the day of arrival (5PM at the airport) and MK the next day after conference ends (4PM). We've already bought our tix and made ressies so there's no turning back now.

Our main problem is Day 1 - - getting from the airport at 5pm, to our offsite hotel to check in/drop off luggage (20 min from airport), and then high tail it to HS as quickly as possible to get the most bang for our WDW buck (20 min from our hotel).

Any advice? I know it's nuts, but we're just so excited for the opportunity.
I really hate to burst you bubble but your first day just doesn’t sound realistic.
Are you landing at 5:00pm or expecting to be leaving the airport at 5:00?

Even if you are leaving at 5:00, you probably won’t be scanning into the HS until 7:00. Orlando traffic can be pretty brutal at rush hour. Most nights at HS close at 9:00. (If you are paying full price for a day ticket, it is very debatable it would be worth the cost for 2 hours in the park)

You might fare better on you magic kingdom day depending on what time they close that night.

Is there anyway you can take 2 vacation days and stay in Orlando for 2 extra days to enjoy the parks after your conference is over? If you can’t, can you get a morning flight out on your first day?

Good luck! I hope it works out.

As the previous poster stated, your first day is not looking good. However, since you're dead set on it my suggestion is to look into a luggage storage service at MCO. Leave your bags there and get a Lyft to HS. You might even find some kind of service that will deliver your bags to your hotel; if not I guess you'd have to head back to MCO to get them, then to the hotel. Going from MCO to hotel to HS after 5:00pm just doesn't seem like it'll work. Good luck!

Your plan won't work. Traffic will destroy it. You can't go to the offsite hotel first.

Outside the box thinking a little, but here goes. You could bring your luggage to the park. I've done it before when I'm flying out. HS doesn't have storage lockers, so bring a stroller. Just gate check the stroller. Once you get to HS, park it and leave your luggage on it. You can't park a suitcase, but you can park a stroller with four backpacks hanging from it. All carry ons, one backpack and a small duffle. Heck bring a $20 umbrella stroller or someone's busted stroller, and don't bring it home. Read the allowable dimensions, they don't quite match airlines. A cooler bag would also work, these are common at WDW. Baggage claim can be a nightmare at MCO. If it's a couple backpacks or duffels, no one will care at the parks. As for your stuff, Disney has a billion cameras. I wouldn't be worried about it, though I have lugged my laptop on a few rides in the past.

You could also rent a car and leave your stuff in the car, but this is a bad idea at MCO unless you have priority to skip the desk. You can spend a long time at that desk. You could skip the desk with something like Turo.

I'd come in a day earlier.

Last edited:

Okay gang - - first off THANK YOU SO MUCH for the honest replies and for thinking outside the box for us. Unfortunately we can't go a day early or stay late. Disney World is like a little bonus on top of our day. It's okay if we miss a lot of stuff.
I guess let's say that we get two hours there then. Do you think we would be able to get on RotR at all? Or should we just skip it?
Do you know if a Minnie Van will take us back to our offsite hotel 20 mins away if we stay after park close and shop?
And what snack can we NOT pass up??

Sure. Just get in line for RotR. If you're in line before the park closes, then you'll get to do it, assuming the ride doesn't break down, which, I'm sorry to say, does happen.

Is there any possibility that your DHS day is a day when they offer an after-hours event? I'm grasping at light sabers here, but thought I'd ask.

I do not know about the Minnie Van situation, but you can always get a regular old rideshare.

You can get a Lyft at any hour of the day in Orlando within minutes. You will have no problem if you close down HS, as you should. Minnie vans cost a lot more, I don't see the point. But if there's a time they are available it will be park close.

You could plan to get in line for ROTR as the park is closing. If you are in line before close, they will let you stay. Plus, the paid line will be closed, so it will go faster. BUT. This ride in particular is temperamental and can go down. I would pay for the ILL, take what it gives you, and show up when you show up. You can be late to an ILL.

If you're doing the stroller route, make sure you park near MMRR. They will start gathering up the strollers to park them together, and your stuff could go anywhere. Not a terrible idea to leave a note with a phone number when it starts getting late. I would be careful packing in suspicious bags. I'd use a backpack and a decent size cooler bag. Then it looks like you're a family who has been there all day.

If you are comfortable sharing, what are you exact dates you are going?

You said the end of June, it one of them the 28th by chance?

If you are comfortable sharing, what are you exact dates you are going?

You said the end of June, it one of them the 28th by chance?
No, that's the day we leave. We arrive on Sun the 25th for HS and we're going to MK the 26th. We should be able to leave for MK at 3:30 or so. (The only days we can do WDW are those two days due to our conference obligations.)
Our non-refundable flight got pushed back later for our arrival. :-( We should have been arriving at 1:30PM. Now it's 5PM.
We're just going to get there as soon as we can and have zero expectations, I guess.

No, that's the day we leave. We arrive on Sun the 25th for HS and we're going to MK the 26th. We should be able to leave for MK at 3:30 or so. (The only days we can do WDW are those two days due to our conference obligations.)
Our non-refundable flight got pushed back later for our arrival. :-( We should have been arriving at 1:30PM. Now it's 5PM.
We're just going to get there as soon as we can and have zero expectations, I guess.
Too bad. There is an after houses event on the 28th at Hollywood studios that would have solved a lot of your issues.
It seems like you have a good attitude about it so just enjoy the time you have in the park.
HS closes at 9:00 so I would hop in line for rise at 8:55 do you at least get 1 big ride in.
Good luck with your trip!

You've probably thought of all this, but just in case I hit some point you haven't considered . . .

Can you and your friend travel with just a purse and a backpack each? Because if you could, this would solve two things--you wouldn't have to wait for your checked bags and you could jump in a cab at the airport and have it take you to DHS (not your hotel), where you could stow your backpack in a locker. This would save you tons of time.

But if not--are you traveling with a group? If so, could one of these people take your too-large-to-put-in-a-locker bag at the airport so you and your friend would be free to get to DHS as quickly as possible?

I want this to work out for you!

Another idea for parking stuff is to rent a wheelchair at the park. You can't park bags, but you can park a wheelchair with a backpack and a cooler bag. You're coming in late enough that availability should be fine -- people who rope dropped will be returning them. You just need a manual wheelchair you can park somewhere.

Okay gang - - first off THANK YOU SO MUCH for the honest replies and for thinking outside the box for us. Unfortunately we can't go a day early or stay late. Disney World is like a little bonus on top of our day. It's okay if we miss a lot of stuff.
I guess let's say that we get two hours there then. Do you think we would be able to get on RotR at all? Or should we just skip it?
Do you know if a Minnie Van will take us back to our offsite hotel 20 mins away if we stay after park close and shop?
And what snack can we NOT pass up??

Minnie Vans are only allowed ON property - they can go to the hotels in Bonnet Creek (JW, Waldorf, etc.), Four Seasons, Swan/Dolphin - but they aren't allowed to go off property. If you happen to see any Minnie Vans at the airport, it's for Club Level Guests (which is $200 each way! Yikes!)

You should be able to get a LYFT or Uber at least an hour after park closing

(or If worse comes to worse, you can always take the boat (or walk) to The Swan/Dolphin and grab a cab/Ride share there. With Shula's open until 11 PM there's always a lot of cabs/lyfts around )

If you are willing to throw some $ at this, there is no reason you can’t get a lot accomplished.

1) Get a driver to pick you up at MCO - and wait while you drop luggage with concierge (I’d not check in), then take you to dhs. Specifically request a fast trip using toll roads. It may not cost allllllll that much more than rideshare at that time of day.

2) Use G+ and $LL for HS. Book RotR ($LL) first thing in the am for as late as possible, just in case. Buy genie before 7 am EST, educate yourself on the system (you tube) and modify to get everything later in the day. This may also require you to buy interweb for the flight, but I have flown into MCO with a 5:30 arrival and managed quite a bit in the evening with this approach.

3) Same as 2 for MK, but you’ll be a bit “safer” in terms of arrival time. $LL for Tron so you can target appropriate times. G+ throughout the day so you’ll have a set schedule.

And get your running shoes on!

1) Get a driver to pick you up at MCO - and wait while you drop luggage with concierge (I’d not check in), then take you to dhs. Specifically request a fast trip using toll roads. It may not cost allllllll that much more than rideshare at that time of day.
Try Tony Hinds. I first used his service in 2021, he was very accommodating as I need to get a C19 test 48 hours before my flight home. Tony and Bob (one of his drivers) were very attentive.

His email is aobh607@gmail.com, and his phone number is 407-406-9093.

Tell him your situation, he may be able to help.

Good luck, sounds like an adventure.

Would it be possible to switch the park order around? Go to MK on arrival and HS post conference? MK is always the park that closes last so more park hours if you’re not getting there until 6 or 7 than HS. I would also skip going to hotel, the I4 traffic from Sea World to DS is always horrible. If you go to MK , you can rent a locker.
Jumbo
(Magic Kingdom park and Epcot only)
17" x 22" x 26"
$15 per day

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter