30th birthday. Staying at the Contemporary. This isn't going to end well.

chwgmjay

I think your giraffe is being towed.
So... I'm starting to plan my 2nd trip for early November, next year.

I'm trying to decide where to stay...

I LOVED the Yacht Club.

Yacht Club Pluses:
-Convenience to Epcot
-Great rooms
-For the most part, everyone was great.

Yacht Club Negatives:
-Price (But I'm pretty sure I'd rather stay at a Deluxe anyway, because I did not like POP much at all.)
-Convenience of mug refills (had to walk to beach club)

Pop Pluses:
-Convenience of food/beverages (Though, mostly that was because I was like... the closest you could get to Century Hall without them actually setting up a cot in Century Hall for me.)

Pop Negatives:
-Hotel was CROWDED.
-Transportation was CROWDED.
-People weren't quite as friendly until you pulled out the cash to tip them.

We went and visited Wilderness Lodge during class one day, and I loved that hotel. I was also thinking about AKL.

Park preference order:
Magic Kingdom is my favorite park.
Animal Kingdom is #2
Epcot is a close #3, but I think I got burnt out on it after spending so much time there.
Hollywood Studios is #4, and in fact we went there one evening after class and I was not impressed at all, then we went back the next day during class and I couldn't even come up with anything to do for the 1.5 hours of free time we had there.

A couple of things to note:
I love food, but usually nothing exotic, etc.
I have joint issues and can usually only walk for about 3-4 hours or so and then I need relaxation time at the hotel. So convenient transportation is a must - and transportation that won't be too crowded where I end up having to stand 3 out of 4 bus trips would be great since I usually walk until my knees are about to collapse.
I am single, but am actively looking for someone.

So, suggestions please and thank you!

(Somewhere along the way, this went from planning a trip in November/December to planning to go for my 30th birthday, in April... yah... I'm not sure when/where. LOL)

Well, I'm going to suggest the Beach Club, but since you've already done the YC, that's probably not too attractive to you.

The Polynesian, or the Contemporary? They are on the monorail, of course which would help your mobility. ::yes::

Well, I'm going to suggest the Beach Club, but since you've already done the YC, that's probably not too attractive to you.

The Polynesian, or the Contemporary? They are on the monorail, of course which would help your mobility. ::yes::

I was looking at the Contemporary, but the only thing that's showing up for availability is an Atrium Club Suite or something like that... and the rate was a bit high. Someone suggested POFQ as a good one.

Oh, and I switched to going in December too to take advantage of value season. Saving a little bit on the room means I have more to spend on pins. :)

Did you look at Port Orleans French Quarter? It is a nice resort on the smaller side. It is closer to Epcot but I have never experienced long bus waits/rides. The food court is easy to get to ( but thats the only food they have).

So... I have 3 options I'm trying to choose from.

POFQ Water view for about $3500
AKL Savannah view for about $4750
or CR Lake view for about $5500

Decisions, decisions.

So... I have 3 options I'm trying to choose from.

POFQ Water view for about $3500
AKL Savannah view for about $4750
or CR Lake view for about $5500

Decisions, decisions.

I'd go with POFQ. Love the ambiance of that resort. It's small enough that it's not a huge hike to get everywhere (like the bus stop) and the have beignets at the food court!:thumbsup2

Go with WL....we loved it! :) Everyone should at least do it once.....BW is awesome too...location is :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Really, they are all good.... Happy Planning! ;)

Of the three options you list, definitely do POFQ. ::yes:: Nice resort, and you'll have that extra pin money you mentioned. :teeth:

There is a ferry to DTD, too. That's always fun. ::yes:: Well, DTD was fun, once upon a time. :guilty:

Maybe I missed it, but is this a solo trip, or are you going with someone?

If you are going with someone, a really nice option that is very private, and quiet are the cabins at FT. Wilderness. You can cook meals if you like, lots of room (in comparison to most of the resorts) and it is a totally different spin vs. the traditional hotel stay. We have stayed a few times there, and have always said that is one of our favorite spots. AKL is also very, very nice, and the views and surroundings are so beautiful !

Now I have a snag to throw into the mix.

My mom is probably coming along. She won't stay anywhere other than a value, and it'll be her first trip. I won't stay at a value again though. So I am figuring she'd enjoy POP, but I still need to find a place for me... Somewhere close-ish to POP most likely. We'll probably get a rental car so's to shuttle her to her hotel (plus, she won't want to do the parks everyday, so a car will give her the ability to go do her shopping, etc.)

POP with her ticket is about $1,100. We'd split it 50/50 so that adds $550 to my costs. I think Contemporary is out now (unless I win some money or get a big raise or my bonus ends up being a lot bigger than expected.)

I guess I need to find some pictures of POFQ and decide if it's right or if I want to spend the extra for WL or AKL.

If you want to stay near Pop Century, why not cosider Carribean Beach?

It's the first Disney Resort that I ever stayed in (and where I was staying when I met Scott, BTW)

It's adjacent to Pop (they actually share housekeeping, maintenance depts, etc).

Plus it's a beautiful resort.

AKL Savanna View - $228/night
POFQ Water View - $137/night
WL Woods View - $207/night
CR Theme Park View - $312/night

Hmmm... which should I pick? ;)

AKL Savanna View - $228/night
POFQ Water View - $137/night
WL Woods View - $207/night
CR Theme Park View - $312/night

Hmmm... which should I pick? ;)

POFQ Water View. Definitely.

Save the money for other stuff. The POFQ is a beautiful resort AND they have the super-yummy beignets at the food court! (The beignets alone are reason enough to stay at the POFQ in my book)

POFQ Water View. Definitely.

Save the money for other stuff. The POFQ is a beautiful resort AND they have the super-yummy beignets at the food court! (The beignets alone are reason enough to stay at the POFQ in my book)

Too late, LOL. Booked CR for me, POP for my mom ($90/night)

Anyone have a rental car recommendation? My cousin turns 30 6 days before I do so they're looking at coming too, so I'd need something that fits like 5-6 people.

Since Disney's going back to 180 day adr's on the 27th, I figure I better decide where I want my birthday dinner to be. I'm willing to try out the Yachtsman Steakhouse again, I think, maybe... but it would suck if I have problems with them again, especially on my birthday. Any suggestions? I love steak, that's why I was thinking YM. I don't do seafood, and I'm not big on anything *TOO* fancy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter