35mm vs digital camera at WDw

I have a Canon G1 and my wife has a Sony 707. Both are not made anymore.

The batteries on both last a long time. I haven't counted pictures but I can tour Disney for a day on the same battery.

We also own a Sony T-1. Fits in your shirt pocket. Batteries drain fast. It is also small battery. However with the size you can carry a number of batteries and flash card and not notice it.

What you are dealing with is size. The bigger the battery the longer it will last. The batteries on our cameras are big compared to AA.

To the person asking about which camera to buy, go to the address below. They do an excellent job reviewing digital cameras. select review and then select the cameras you are interested in.

www.dpreview.com

Another interesting thing is just about all brand cameras are using Sony CCD chips.

Take a look at the Canon G6. It is 7.1 megapixal(MP) CCD. A lot of people are raving about it. The cost is somewhere around $500 dollars, give or take. If intersted in DSLR take a look at the new Rebel XT. About $1000. Be careful with what I said. I'm biased towards Canon. The joke in the family is that I own enough canons to start a war.

I don't know much about Pentax, but they have come out with a small camera that is waterproof down to five feet for 30 minutes. Think it is 5 MP.
Goes for about $350.

Found out something interesting. Digital cameras are like (actually are) computers. Firmware is the program that runs the camera. I don't know if you can get firmware updates for all cameras. Anyway Canon has several DSLR cameras. Evidently the cheaper one can't do all the things the more expensive one can. Canon has disabled some features. Well, hackers are figuring out how to modify the firmware and are turning on the disabled features.

Our pro film is always stored in the fridge and even in our electric cooler on the way to WDW as we drive when we go. We used to own a Canon G2 it was really nice but oh so painfully slow. We have our F80 packed for WDW and the D70 is staying home this trip as I can't be bothered taking it with us for taking about 15 pictures. We usually buy VC 140 and NC 140 Kodak pro film and really like the image quality over the regular kodak max 200/400/800 ISO variety.

Do you have any experience/thoughts about the Nikons that are over 5 megapixels?

I'd like to eventually get a digital and I've had such a good experience with my Nikon 35mm, I'm tempted to stay with Nikon.

fkj2 said:
Do you have any experience/thoughts about the Nikons that are over 5 megapixels?

I'd like to eventually get a digital and I've had such a good experience with my Nikon 35mm, I'm tempted to stay with Nikon.
Sorry, outside of just looking at everything in the stores when I was in the market, I don't have any real experience. Maybe someone else in this thread has some, or you can check the reviews.

I have used the 8800 and it was a great camera very fast focus and lots of options for settings on the camera for a point and shoot it was very good I woulod reccomend it to anyone that doesn't want to go the SLR route.

I don't know a whole lot about cameras but I was very reluctant to switch over to digital. I own a Minolta SLR and a Canon Elph (APS film). I fell in love with the Elph due to its size so I went looking at the digital ones but ended up buying a Sony Cybershot P-150 and I am very happy. It is very small, takes excellent pictures and the battery lasts about 200 continuous minutes.

I personally like my Canon Elph SD10. (same size as my cell phone and carried the same way on my belt) so it is always close by. We just got back from 12 days in WDW and took over 200 pictures on 2 smartcards the size of a quarter. If you like to have a good zoom lens though it is better to have a larger camera. I think is is much cheaper to have the digital--no film to buy and reusable smartcards.The quality is as good as 35mm as long as you use the highest pixel settings which I always do.The $200.00 digital cameras just don't cut it for quality,so the initial cost for me was $700.00 but i'm happy with it.

I just wanted to add on the Canon Elph, the lithium battery lasts all day and it never ranout on us. I recharged it each night.

After weeks of trolling the web, "googling" through reviews and scouring the consumer magazines, I took a deep breath and bought this. The Canon PowerShot A95. I LOVE IT! :teeth: I can't wait to take it to Orlando this summer and put it through its paces.

It's reasonably small -- a good size to slip into a fanny pack -- versatile, easy to use, and takes gorgeous pictures. And the reviews have been glowing, from pros and consumers.

Check out reviews at Amazon.com, epinions.com, and here:

www.steves-digicams.com

Gregk

It looks like the glaze is disappearing from your eyes.

The two frustrations of cameras....picking one and then learning how to use it.

The Steve sight you mentioned is also a good source.

Quick question. Hope someone sees this in time!

We're leaving for WDW in about, oh, 18 hours. Nothing like waiting until the last minute, huh?

Anyhow, I was very pleasantly surprised by receiving a new digital camera for my birthday a couple days ago. Although I've had inexpensive digitals before, this is my first "good" one. And, I've never taken a digital on a plane, before!

I don't want to pack it, for fear that it get's "missing" from my luggage. Are there any concerns with taking the digital on board - security, etc? My logical mind is telling me that the x-ray's won't do anything to demagnitize the memory card, but are there any other things that they do that could harm the camera or memory?

Thanks for the (hopefully) quick responses!

See you in WDW!!!

Hi rayelias.

I would NOT pack your camera in checked luggage. I have had far too many friends 'loose' stuff in their checked luggage.

Your camera/memory cards/batteries will be fine going through the X-Ray machines.

Have a great trip!

grim pirate:

Take it with on the plane. There won't be any problems with x-rays!!!!!

We make the switch to digital about 2 years ago. Digital is so much more easier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter