4 WDW Resorts to allow dogs

Housekeeping doesn't even have time to make three circles out of towels anymore.

Now they have time to "deep clean" a room?!

How does the list of resorts keep growing?

I know they are building a lot down there, but two days ago there were 16 resorts, then there were 28, and now on this page I see they have 30.

At this construction pace, I'll be riding the falcon next weekend.......

And when did Disney start referencing, "but Universal does it"?

Used to be the other way around.....

Housekeeping doesn't even have time to make three circles out of towels anymore.

Now they have time to "deep clean" a room?!

I know they are building a lot down there, but two days ago there were 16 resorts, then there were 28, and now on this page I see they have 30.

At this construction pace, I'll be riding the falcon next weekend.......

And when did Disney start referencing, "but Universal does it"?

Used to be the other way around.....

I know...it's just naive.

You pay so much for a hotel room on property because they know you will pay it...not because of the "quality".

Unfortunately now that the word is out and the points/arguments have been made, nobody (with these concerns anyway) can stay at any US hotel.

At least Disney still has 16 to 28 resorts (25,000 plus dog free rooms) without dogs at all to choose from instead.

You are correct, some people can't stay there. Maybe that is part of the reason why if I look for hotels during Thanksgiving there are no Disney hotels available but almost all Universal. Honestly think they should just turn one or two resorts into full on pet resorts and call it a day. My big issue is taking away 4 options for a lot of people and that I can't imagine the attempts to keep the animal "wings" secluded will work for more than a few months. Honestly it really doesn't affect me a ton. We have tons of animals so our child is not scared, nobody is allergic, and I HOPE people would be semi-respectful of the property and areas (though then again, probably not). Eventually I think it will keep us away from those hotels in that I have no faith that housekeeping will keep up with the animals. I just feel for a lot of people this does negatively affect immediately.

The Universal hotels allow dogs in only certain wings or towers and their dog relief areas are next to those locations. There is no hint of dogs in most of the resort simply because Universal makes sure that the rules are followed. Plus dogs cannot be left in the rooms for several hours.

It's quite a bit different.
yeah real problem is CM inforcing. Yeah are they going to have time clocks on room doors so they know its only 7 hours, too and are they allowed to walk everywhere or not

1) Afraid of dogs? Don't go to the resorts that allow them.
(On that note, do you go to parks? Use public sidewalks where people walk their dogs? Same thing.)

Sure, as long as it remains limited to just 4 resorts. But that wasn't really my point when I mentioned the terrified toddler thing. The point (for me) isn't the impact on individuals who might have made a different choice, but rather the impact on Disney as a business. Because people who are allergic or have kids who are afraid of dogs are still going to go to those resorts, either because they have no idea that dogs might be around, or because it's the only available room on site and they assume that the dogs won't be a big problem, or because the price is right and they're willing to take the risk, or whatever. And when they do, whether they knowingly made a poor decision or not, incidents are going to occur.

If you take your kid to the local park and a dog jumps on him and he refuses to ever go back to that park, it makes no difference to Disney. But if the same kid ends up in an elevator at WDW with a dog who barks and jumps, and the kid freaks out and then conflates "Mickey Mouse" with "scary dogs" for the next five years, that's bad business for Disney.

Farfetched? Maybe, but I don't really think so. Again, fear of dogs is not at all uncommon in little kids who don't have dogs at home, and some kids can fixate on what might seem like a minor incident for a long, long time. Putting aside damage and cleaning costs, is $50 a night enough to offset whatever business is lost because the Smith family decides to wait a few years until little Johnny is over "the dog incident" before heading back to Disney World? Hard to say, because those impacts are not easily measurable. Doesn't mean they're not happening.

Or if the have a fear of seeing a dog.

These were brought up as concerns.

I don't imagine many people are struck with terror at the mere sight of a dog. But the ones that run at people, jump, and bark... yes, that can be scary for some. I'm sure dogs will be required to be on leashes, but I guarantee there will be the occasional incident when a dog is let off, or is on an excessively long leash, or otherwise gets away (oops, the 5-year-old dropped the leash). It's not Disney's fault if that happens (or not directly, anyway), but the fallout is definitely their problem.

For the record, this isn't personal for me. My kids are past the age of being afraid of dogs, nobody in my family is allergic, and we generally stay at DVC resorts anyway. I'm not a dog lover, but neither do I dislike them. Given an equivalent alternative option, I'd pick a "dog free" resort over pet-friendly every time, but I probably wouldn't make a huge point of avoiding the dog resorts under the right circumstances. I still think that this is, at best, a questionable business decision.

My youngest is still in the "afraid of dogs" phase...he will literally hide behind me every time we have to pass a dog...we had a family picnic this summer with "the family dogs" (yes, I have some of those dog owners in my family). When it was obvious that no matter how good their dogs were, my kid was gonna hide and not play with his cousins/aunts/uncles while they were there, the dogs got put away inside while everyone played outside...and when the dogs had to go out, he went in...

The phase usually passes when they grow bigger than the dogs (since his brother also had this phase), but Disney is the resort for the 5 and unders, not the 10 and ups...

You can also be sure that many folks had to skip POR (and all WDW resorts) even though it was their favorite because they have a dog along. But maybe you don't care about them.
How would they know POR (or any WDW resort) was their favorite? They would have never been there because apparently travelling without their dog isn't an option and dogs were not previously allowed.

My thoughts...
  • Many high-end (and not so high-end) hotels around the world accept dogs. Out favorite NYC hotel does, and it has never become a problem for us, even though we do have allergies. So on the one hand, what's the big deal?
  • Here are the things about Disney doing it that give me pause...
    • Disney appears to err on the side of not offending guests. Whether it's letting some tour groups or other large groups run wild at some hotels, or just not dealing with line-cutters et al unless they really have to, they are non-interventionists. I can extrapolate from there and imagine many ways that dogs will become many guests' problems.
    • Mousekeeping seems a little... bare bones recently. Now they will supposedly be deep-cleaning rooms to ensure those with allergies aren't affected? I have some doubts.

Write a check.
It would be a fairly small check. Disney isn't responsible for someone else's dog- just like they aren't responsible for someone else's ECV or any number of other injuries that occur as a result of guest negligence.

Disney negligence- they write a check. But they aren't going to make a big payout every time a guest on their property is negligent. I don't know of any business who does that. They have a team of lawyers who will fight those types of things. As they should.

It would be a fairly small check. Disney isn't responsible for someone else's dog- just like they aren't responsible for someone else's ECV or any number of other injuries that occur as a result of guest negligence.

Disney negligence- they write a check. But they aren't going to make a big payout every time a guest on their property is negligent. I don't know of any business who does that. They have a team of lawyers who will fight those types of things. As they should.

Unless you find their rules negligent on their face...I could see 2 no weight limit dogs allowed to roam free in their rooms for 7 hours who then rush the hallway when their owner opens the door and barrel down a kid bringing both Disney and the dog owner down legally...Disney's own standards are way more lenient than the neighbor up the street, so that could end up biting them in the behind legally...

I disagree. Disney set precedence by not allowing dogs all of these years "for the safety of their guests". Some could argue that it is Disney's fault if something happens.

Also, THANK YOU to the poster a few posts above who pointed out that there are only 16 resorts. It's been driving me crazy that people are saying there are up to 50 (yes I saw that somewhere) resorts. I thought I was going nuts.

How would they know POR (or any WDW resort) was their favorite? They would have never been there because apparently travelling without their dog isn't an option and dogs were not previously allowed.

Some families get a dog after they have been living life for a while, like maybe the kids are old enough now. And some families get overly attached to that dog-refusing kennels.

So, Lauren did, indeed, call me back, and, I do feel heard, which was the point of my call, I get the feeling that she has fielded a LOT of these calls though.
I also received a call back concerning my email.

Like you, I felt that they heard what I was saying.

And I was outright told that they were fielding a lot of these calls.

I was also given a direct number in case I needed to contact them again.

I am still not happy about the change. But I am willing to give them a chance to do this right.

If it isn't done right, to my thoughts, I will be calling them on it.

Unless you find their rules negligent on their face...I could see 2 no weight limit dogs allowed to roam free in their rooms for 7 hours who then rush the hallway when their owner opens the door and barrel down a kid bringing both Disney and the dog owner down legally...Disney's own standards are way more lenient than the neighbor up the street, so that could end up biting them in the behind legally...
I disagree. Disney set precedence by not allowing dogs all of these years "for the safety of their guests". Some could argue that it is Disney's fault if something happens.

Also, THANK YOU to the poster a few posts above who pointed out that there are only 16 resorts. It's been driving me crazy that people are saying there are up to 50 (yes I saw that somewhere) resorts. I thought I was going nuts.

If Disney were negligent, of course they would be held legally responsible. That is always the case.

Courts look at industry standard, among other things, to determine negligence. Disney's policy is quite standard in everything except allowing dogs to stay in the room unattended for up to seven hours. Dogs stay unattended in thousands (possibly millions?) of houses for seven hours or more most days. It would be tough to prove that any harm that occurred to a guest would not have occurred if the dog had not been unattended for a few hours.

As long as people follow Disney's requirements of not bringing aggressive dogs and of keeping them on leash in public areas, there shouldn't be a lot of problems.

I'm not saying Disney will face no lawsuits as a result of this. There are plenty of people looking for deep pockets to sue. Just saying that when faced with a lawsuit as a result of a guest not following the dog policy, Disney won't just roll over. :dog2:

There’s not really a right answer here, as different people can reasonably count in different ways—partly from whether they are lumpers vs. splitters, and partly because of what distinction they are trying to draw.

To me, the best answer is 21—five values, five moderates, eight deluxes, two stand-alone DVCs, and the campsites.

But I would not argue with someone who added the shared DVC as well, if the distinction they are making is about rooms instead of shared amenities, which—if you count AKL and WL twice for two very different room sets-- brings in nine more, getting you to 30. On my site I do this and also split out the Treehouses as they are so “different,” since I focus as much on room experience as on anything else, given that the bulk of your time at a resort will be in the room.

Nor would I dismiss someone who ignored the shared DVC and/or also lumped together all the “sharing” resorts--the campsites and cabins together, the Port Orleans resorts together, the All-Stars together, and –inescapably by logic if they lump all the prior groups together—the Yacht and Beach Club together. This would get you to 16—3 values, 3 moderates, 7 deluxes, 2 stand-alone DVC, and Fort Wilderness. I would not do this as I think you lose information from the lumping, but I would get the logic of someone who did do it.

From the "counting for dogs" point of view, the DVC have a different (but not insuperable) legal status, and Disney has in the pilot already distinguished the Port Orleans, YC/BC, and the Fort Wilderness resorts (campsites have had dog friendly loops for years, but not cabins) so I think 30* is closest to being right for dogs.

Your math may differ...

*Or maybe 31, since the Treehouses are the best spot to pilot this in DVC, since they have no shared walls...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter