$4600 down and haven't been to a Park yet

LarryJ

Dedicated FW 1600 "Looper"
Got here today and while I don't worry about it I keep track of what we spend on our trips broken down into the categories of food, fuel, lodging, tickets/fees, WM, and misc gifts. This allows me to compare costs over the years.

Just updated my list and it's up to $4600 and we haven't even gotten into a park yet:rotfl2:

Now to be fair we had some huge upfront costs this year like $275 for CRT and $310 for HDDR for 5 of us when our sons get here. Also we are joining them on the 7 hr. backstage magic tour - $480 for the two of us. Then today $960 for two APs (will use them next Oct/Nov), $75 for tables in Wonderland card (again good for our visit next Oct/Nov), and then the almost $1600 for our site thru the end of this month.

However, the Gitty up and Go is sitting on the counter ready to eat on tonight and for several lunches and the veggie soup (less the veggies till tomorrow morning) for tomorrow's dinner is in the crockpot on low so life is good here at FW:thumbsup2

Larry

Sounds like a great trip. I would love to hear about the backstage tour. Have fun!!!!

Sounds like a great trip. I would love to hear about the backstage tour. Have fun!!!!

I will report back. Supposedly it cover even the tunnels and cameras and even cell phones are not permitted on the tour. It does include lunch at WL at 'Whispering Canyon restaurant.

I will get back around 15% of the CRT prepaid costs when I apply the Tables in Wonderland 20% discount. CRT is screwy because the cost includes a picture and that is not discounted so they accounting is messed up and since the tip is already included in the cost the 18% gratuity is not added. We went thru this last Nov when we did CRT and tried to figure out how the then DDE was applied. Two other major saving with the dining discount card is the Spirite of Aloha and HDDR (late show only) since the cost of those already include the gratuity so you get a real 20% savings on the cost of those. I really like this card since it eliminates me messing around with tips and I just pay the actual bill since the 18% gratuity is already there so I basically save 2% of the cost of the meal and the tip is already covered. It's even good at V&As where I just have a hard time paying like $100 in a tip for even that meal and service since it's so over priced to begin with for what you are actually getting.

Larry

Just updated my list and it's up to $4600 and we haven't even gotten into a park yet:rotfl2:

1) I keep telling my wife that veggies are expensive and bad for you.
2) Now I have proof.
3) You vacation would have a reasonable cost if it weren't for the veggies.

Larry, does the Tables in Wonderland card expire when your annual pass does or is it valid for a set time period, such as a year?

Thanks.

Larry, does the Tables in Wonderland card expire when your annual pass does or is it valid for a set time period, such as a year?

Thanks.

You get approximately 13 months on the TiW card from time of purchase.

What is "Tables in Wonderland" ?

Tables in Wonderland is a Dining Discount program that Florida Residents and/or Passholders can purchase. (If you live out of state, you have to be a passholder to purchase it, if you live in Florida you don't have to be a passholder to purchase it, but you get a discount if you are a Passholder).

Anyway, it costs $75 a year for Passholders, and slightly more than that if you are a Florida Resident and don't have an Annual Pass.

It provides 20% off of sit down meals at participating restaurants around Disney Propoerty. It also provides 20% of off food court meals in resorts that don't have a sit down restaurant such as All-Stars, Port Orleans French Quarter, Pop Century and for 2008 & 2009, it provided 20% off of counter service eateries at Animal Kingdom. That can change at any time as they realize that they now have Tusker House as a full time table service, but for now, they are just too lazy to change the computer system.

New for 2009 for the program, when you use the card an 18% gratuity is automatically added to sit down meals. I'm sure they did that as most folks were probably tipping on the discounted amount. For us it actually saves us money as I was tipping the discount, then rounding up to the next dollar, so before our servers were getting 22 - 23%, now they only get 18%.

Oh, there is one distinct restriction that has caused us problems before. If you use the card, everyone at your table must be on the same check, so if you have a large group at your table, please ask your friends to bring cash to reimburse you as they WILL NOT separate the checks.

We bought our TiW card Nov'08 and it's good through 12/31/09. It just about paid for itself with one really nice meal/drinks for 4 at Calif Grill and we've used it a ton since we got it. It went up from $60 to $75 this year for AP holders, but we'll probably still get one next year.

Nice thing is that it covers alcohol too - even if you order drinks from Crocketts! :thumbsup2

You can also use it on take out from Trails End although not at Meadows snack bar.

Just remember that 18% tip IS included - the last time I got drinks on the porch of Crocketts I forgot and tipped. Lucky CM!

ETA: just remembered that it isn't good at Paradiso 37 at DTD. At least not yet. Our server said they have to be in operation for 6 mos. min. and then Disney reviews them. I think that may included DDP too, as you can't use that there yet either. Same was true when Yak and Yeti opened - not sure if that's changed?

We bought our TiW card Nov'08 and it's good through 12/31/09. It just about paid for itself with one really nice meal/drinks for 4 at Calif Grill and we've used it a ton since we got it. It went up from $60 to $75 this year for AP holders, but we'll probably still get one next year.

Nice thing is that it covers alcohol too - even if you order drinks from Crocketts! :thumbsup2

You can also use it on take out from Trails End although not at Meadows snack bar.

Just remember that 18% tip IS included - the last time I got drinks on the porch of Crocketts I forgot and tipped. Lucky CM!

ETA: just remembered that it isn't good at Paradiso 37 at DTD. At least not yet. Our server said they have to be in operation for 6 mos. min. and then Disney reviews them. I think that may included DDP too, as you can't use that there yet either. Same was true when Yak and Yeti opened - not sure if that's changed?

As far as I know, the only thing that Yak and Yeti accepts is Passholder discount of 10%. They don't even participate in the Landry's Safari Club stuff.

As far as I know, the only thing that Yak and Yeti accepts is Passholder discount of 10%. They don't even participate in the Landry's Safari Club stuff.

Same here just a 10% at Y&Y for AP holders. You really make out at things like the late HDDR show, CRT, and Spirit of Aloha since those cost already include a gratuity so with you TiW you get the 20% off the cost of the food portion of the ticket. DW saved $4.60 last night on the TE Gitty Up and Go. We really like it since we use it for two 45 day trips over a 12 mo period and generally we spend about $1,000 in WDW food. In the past we have averaged about $50 in actual cash savings and I don't have to tip so on $1,000 that is a savings of $180 or about $230 for a trip times two is $460 for the cost of $75.

Larry

You get approximately 13 months on the TiW card from time of purchase.
Thanks Carol :thumbsup2 I wish I had known about this prior to buying our annual passes for our 32 night stay this past August... it would have saved me a bundle!!! I only learned about it after returning home and logging into the AP site. Oh well, at least I'll be able to use it for our March and December trips in 2010.

One other question; do you present the card when you are seated, when you order, or when your server collects? I have read where some people have had issues in the past... have any of you that have used the card had any problems? Thanks.

I haven't had the TiW for about two years now (actually it was the DDE when I last had it). I'm reconsidering.

Thanks Carol :thumbsup2 I wish I had known about this prior to buying our annual passes for our 32 night stay this past August... it would have saved me a bundle!!! I only learned about it after returning home and logging into the AP site. Oh well, at least I'll be able to use it for our March and December trips in 2010.

One other question; do you present the card when you are seated, when you order, or when your server collects? I have read where some people have had issues in the past... have any of you that have used the card had any problems? Thanks.

We usually tell the person at the podium that we have the card, then we also tell the server when they ask us if we're on the dining plan, then we present the card along with our payment card when the bill arrives. Most of the time when we decline desert from the server, we go ahead and hand them the card(s) when we ask for our bill, to save a step and some time. They do have to find a manager and have them code the discount, so it takes a few extra minutes to process.

Never had any trouble with the restaurants that do accept the card.

We usually tell the person at the podium that we have the card, then we also tell the server when they ask us if we're on the dining plan, then we present the card along with our payment card when the bill arrives. Most of the time when we decline desert from the server, we go ahead and hand them the card(s) when we ask for our bill, to save a step and some time. They do have to find a manager and have them code the discount, so it takes a few extra minutes to process.

Never had any trouble with the restaurants that do accept the card.
That's pretty much what I do too. I bought the card at the beginning of our recent trip, and it's already paid for itself and we have a couple trips this next year to go. I ask everywhere I purchase food whether they accept TiW, have AP discounts, or Disney Visa discount. I'll even ask about AAA...which is what they accept at Earl of Sandwich. If I can save 10-20% of most of my food purchases, why wouldn't I? When I was younger I was embarrased to ask for discounts on things...but not any more! Now it's fun.

Amazing what entertains us these days. :laughing:

No problems with the card here either. Sometimes we've remembered to tell them right up front, other times we've handed it off before we've gotten the bill, and once in a while I forget and give it to them with my KTTW card. It seems that use of the card requires a supervisor to put through the discount, so if you wait until the bill comes, it may take an extra couple of minutes for them to process your bill.

The 18% gratuity will show up right on your bill along with your discount, and there will still be room there to add an additional gratuity if you want. When we've gotten really great service, we've left a couple of extra dollars to bump the tip to 20%ish

When I was younger I was embarrased to ask for discounts on things...but not any more! Now it's fun.

I was the same way, Dave. I didn't want to appear "cheap". All that changed when I turned 50!! I wait with great expectation each month for Beall's "senior days"!! I order off the senior menu when applicable, and I ask for a senior discount at the movies. Nope!! Doesn't bother me a bit - and I don't even get offended when they DON'T ask me for I.D.!!:lmao:

That's pretty much what I do too. I bought the card at the beginning of our recent trip, and it's already paid for itself and we have a couple trips this next year to go. I ask everywhere I purchase food whether they accept TiW, have AP discounts, or Disney Visa discount. I'll even ask about AAA...which is what they accept at Earl of Sandwich. If I can save 10-20% of most of my food purchases, why wouldn't I? When I was younger I was embarrased to ask for discounts on things...but not any more! Now it's fun.

Wait till you get AARP.:lmao:

I didn't know Disney Visa gets you food discounts and Earl gives AAA discounts. I think it's time for a discount thread.:thumbsup2

I ask for ANY discount I can get including the "nice smile":) discount, the "I'm a nice guy" :lovestrucdiscount, the "Your a nice person";) discount, the "I'll tell ya a good joke" discount,:laughing: the "its raining" discount, the "oh you can do it discount" discount, the "oh please" discount, the "pothetic look" discount. You never know when you'll hit a nerve and get a surprise on your bill.:woohoo:

Wait till you get AARP.:lmao:

I didn't know Disney Visa gets you food discounts and Earl gives AAA discounts. I think it's time for a discount thread.:thumbsup2
I may have mislead on the Visa discount...I think that's only good on merchandise purchases at Disney stores, and only when you spend at least $50. I think it's 10%, and if you have AP's you get the same discount with no minimum purchase, IIRC.

I only found out about the AAA discount at EofS because I asked the cashier if they took TiW (jokingly), AP or Disney Visa. She said no...and I asked if they have ANY discounts. She said only AAA. BINGO! 10%.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter