5 in 5: Brainwashing No Longer Required! Update 8/10!

As always, we loved flying high with Goofy but we were ready to try something else. We decided to see what the lines were like to meet some characters at Pete's Silly Sideshow. The lines were short and moving quickly so we jumped on in. E is really funny about characters. He REALLY wants to meet them all but then when he gets right next to them he is a little like “don't touch me” UNLESS it's Minnie. He has always been that way with her. :lovestruc

I had to include this one because there is a snake statue next to Donald that you can't see here. The snake's eyes twirl in a hypnosis sort of way and E was so mezmorized by it while we were waiting in line. Even when he met Donald we had to keep telling him to look at Donald and the camera because he was obviously falling into a trance lol!

E was disappointed that he couldn't actually meet Pete. I guess since the building is named after him, he thought he would see him. He settled for a picture with Pete on the wall even though it was so dark we could hardly see it!

I know we did some other rides before heading to lunch but we must have been enjoying the moment so much that documenting took a break!

I was able to snag us a BOG lunch back when they were testing doing ADRs for it. I was a little nervous because this was our first time there when it wasn't a table service time period. Counter service places are overwhelming when you have allergies- especially my long, difficult list. You have to find a CM who will find you a manager to talk to and once the manager finally is free to come to you, they write down your allergies (or in my case, I have a list printed out to give to them) and then you both look through a massive binder of their entrees that lists every ingredient. I'll be honest, this STRESSES ME OUT, almost to the point of tears if the staff isn't helpful because I also have to do the same thing for E's order as well. I always feel a need to hurry because I know they are busy, I often fear I will have a not-so-patient or accommodating manager (that's only happened a few times), I am fearful that I will end up being told there is nothing safe for me and will have wasted our time, or I get concerned that my meal will be yucky and I will leave hungry. That's just the reality of it. Disney doesn't owe me the ability to provide good, safe food so I am not saying it is their fault I get stressed- no, it is just stressful dealing with our diets on my end every day at every meal. I am so thankful that Disney tries and so often exceeds my expectations!

So, anyway we walked in and this is set up very differently than other counter service locations with the ordering kiosks. It's very hectic and loud in the kiosk area but it was moving quickly. The kiosk allows you to check off your allergies but I know mine are not all listed so we let a CM know and the actual chef came out. That is helpful because they are usually knowledgeable (notice I said usually- there are exceptions) on all ingredients and willing to even make something a little unusual if needed. I handed him my list which looks like this (E has a list of his own too):

This chef was GREAT! :love: He bypassed almost everything on the kiosk and came up with some good choices for E and I. He even came out to our table a few times personally to show me all the ingredients on the bread he was using to make my sandwich and the cookies they wanted to give us just to give me peace of mind. I could just cry thinking of the kindness so many chefs have shown us! We were lucky to snag a table in the ballroom right next to the Christmas tree and the “snow” falling outside of the window.

The window right behind our table:

The view from our table (E wanted to be in both pictures, lol):

The Christmas tree we were right next to was quite popular. We sort of got squished a few times by people crowding around us to take family pictures with it. As Kathy always says on the podcasts, “Pack your patience.” We had ours packed and ready to distribute because a little crowding was worth sitting in that pretty room next to the window! I have no idea what is up with E's face! He was happy so I guess he was goofing around!

We decided to take a glance in the West Wing and have a picture with the rose. Notice E's lack of excitement:

As you can tell, this kid was fading. We had planned to do a few more things in the park before leaving but at this point in his years, he was still accustomed to taking naps a few days a week. I think all the traveling, excitement and stimulation followed by lunch had worn him out. It was around 1 PM and we decided to head to the ferry. When we got off the ferry, E started quietly crying when he realized we still had to ride the tram and then in the car before getting to the room. He said he really just wanted a bed! It was funny in that “I truly feel bad for you but that's life at Disney World” sort of way. :rotfl2: We got on the tram and this happened almost immediately!

He napped through the rest of our trek back to the room and then for another hour in his bed. I decided it was nap time for me, too! Philip did some resort exploring (aka coffee drinking with his resort mug) while we slept.

We still had a fun night ahead of us with plans to try something very exciting for the first time! :cool1: Coming soon...

Last edited:
wow, your daily plans are much more organized than our "get ready everyone! grab something to eat and let's go ... oh, you aren't ready? ok, fine - but seriously we should be leaving, like now!" :rotfl2:

E looks so happy on the tram to start the day - counter to his view of riding the tram after lunch ;)

Sounds like a really fun morning - other than BTMRR and Splash being down, and Philip banging his head at the Dumbo play are

That is so great how good the chef at BOG was with you. I know they are starting to have separate "allergy friendly" menu's at a lot of locations but always nice to know you can still speak with a chef when needed

Love your MK visit, particularly the character pictures :) I may have to make a stop at the sideshow next trip - I love Donald's outfit :P

All these pictures in jackets are crazy - we tend to go in May/June, so it's always interesting when I see pictures from other times of the year.

So glad that you had such a good experience with BOG and your dietary needs, plus the setting is just gorgeous, particularly with the Christmas decorations :)

I don't have kid but run the same kind of structured morning routine for DH and myself, it just keeps me calm and sane! So glad you had a sympathetic chef at BOG.

I have to wonder...if someone with food allergies goes to the character buffet at the Contemporary, does he get to talk to Chef Mickey about his food restrictions?

Great update! You tell a good story, and seem to have fun protagonists to play with :)

wow, your daily plans are much more organized than our "get ready everyone! grab something to eat and let's go ... oh, you aren't ready? ok, fine - but seriously we should be leaving, like now!" :rotfl2:

E looks so happy on the tram to start the day - counter to his view of riding the tram after lunch ;)

Sounds like a really fun morning - other than BTMRR and Splash being down, and Philip banging his head at the Dumbo play are

That is so great how good the chef at BOG was with you. I know they are starting to have separate "allergy friendly" menu's at a lot of locations but always nice to know you can still speak with a chef when needed

Thankfully my guys go along with my organized morning routine for now but I have a feeling that as E gets older and approaches teen years that he may not be quite as enthusiastic about mom's plans! I'll take it while it lasts! :goodvibes

And yes, I was worried that with the new allergy menus, the chefs would be less likely to come speak to me but they have explained that those menus free them up to be available for guests like me who need a little (or a lot) of extra help beyond specific allergen menus. It really is amazing to have a place that will go the extra mile for dietary issues!

Love your MK visit, particularly the character pictures :) I may have to make a stop at the sideshow next trip - I love Donald's outfit :P

All these pictures in jackets are crazy - we tend to go in May/June, so it's always interesting when I see pictures from other times of the year.

So glad that you had such a good experience with BOG and your dietary needs, plus the setting is just gorgeous, particularly with the Christmas decorations :)

I have to say that it was weird to us to need the warmer clothes! The first half of our trip was either mild with cool mornings or hot. I will share later how it got into the 40s and wouldn't warm up all day at the end of our trip. :crazy2: I was FREEZING! It was definitely a new Disney experience for me!

The atmosphere of BOG is so pretty, especially the ball room! I am so glad we got a chance to sit in there as a family this time!

I don't have kid but run the same kind of structured morning routine for DH and myself, it just keeps me calm and sane! So glad you had a sympathetic chef at BOG.

You get it! It's for sanity reasons! I was the still the same way before DH and I had our little guy. I can rest better knowing that we are all ready for the next day. :sunny:

I have to wonder...if someone with food allergies goes to the character buffet at the Contemporary, does he get to talk to Chef Mickey about his food restrictions?

Great update! You tell a good story, and seem to have fun protagonists to play with :)

Lol, I have been to Chef Mickey's several times with my allergies and unfortunately, Chef Mickey only came out for photos, not for dietary needs! :rotfl2:I'd like to think he would be accommodating if asked, though! :rotfl:

Thanks, I told Philip that I'd be able to update more often if I didn't share every single detail I can think of so I am glad to know I have a few who don't mind sticking with me!

Loving the report so far. E is so adorable, good thing you got him "brainwashed" at an early age. That's wonderful to hear how Disney is so great at accommodating your food allergy needs. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to find a meal that not only is safe but actually taste good.

let's go ... oh, you aren't ready? ok, fine - but seriously we should be leaving, like now!

Were you in our room on my past trip? This is exactly what happened. "Oh the fast pass window just opened we have plenty of time to get there". I'm pretty sure you are at least supposed to be on the way when the window opens not in your pajamas in the room still.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter