$5 package pickup fee may be charged at Walt Disney World hotels

2goofycampers

Sounds like something a camping trip could cure!
Guests staying at a Walt Disney World Resort may now be charged $5 to receive packages at the hotel.

A lot of guests have supplies such as bottled water, diapers, or other items, delivered to their resort instead of paying to bring it on an airplane or trying to buy it once at Disney. Disney has announced that a $5 package handling fee may apply when these packages are picked up at the front desk or delivered to the hotel room.

When shipping something to yourself on vacation, make sure to include:

• The mailing address of the hotel
  • The word Guest and the date of your arrival clearly marked on the front of the package
http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/5-package-pickup-fee-may-be-charged-at-walt-disney-world-hotels/

Being Canadian, I have packages shipped to the Fort every time we stay there as it saves me $ from having them shipped to my US pickup location. It's especially handy for cheaper items as my pickup fee runs about $9CDN, so I wouldn't use it if I'm basically going to double the cost of the item. While I understand why Disney might want to institute this charge, I also look at the fact that I'm going to be paying out more than $2000 for a CAMPSITE this Christmas, not to mention the AP's I have to renew. I think Disney can afford not to nickel-and-dime me when I'm spending those kind of $'s.

I also look at the fact that I'm going to be paying out more than $2000 for a CAMPSITE this Christmas, not to mention the AP's I have to renew. I think Disney can afford not to nickel-and-dime me when I'm spending those kind of $'s.
It does say "may apply" if they try to charge you I would restate the above sentences. Please, let us know what happens.

It does say "may apply" if they try to charge you I would restate the above sentences. Please, let us know what happens.

Don't worry - I plan on doing just that. I'll let everyone know, although if anyone is currently there and getting packages, maybe they could let us know how the Fort is handling this new issue.

I would say they are already charging us more than enough to cover handling fees for the packages.

The next thing you know they'll be charging you each time you have an item sent from the park to your resort so you don't have to carry it around.

(Oops, shouldn't of suggested that...)

While I understand the concerns above, I can also see the perspective from the other side. How many of these packages come in that the Front Desk have to deal with? We may only think it's a handful, while it may actually be a significant amount. Also, we maybe looking at it from the "Fort" perspective where many folks have transportation and only need it for a small amount of stuff (or the cabins might need more), whereas in the hotels and other resorts, folks could be doing full on deliveries that require a lot of manpower to deal with.

I really don't know what the situation is (on either side) because I don't use it (well except the deliveries from the park on occasion), but if I did and I was not one to "ABUSE" it, I would most certainly express to them my expenses at their facility and make sure they know that I'd be less likely to not only use that service with a new fee but it would be a factor when considering my NEXT and future vacations. Disney knows how much people are spending and they know if you are an "uber" frugal guest or one who spends and enjoys. I think rules like this fee are for those who tend to "Abuse" the amenity.

This has always been the case at the convention hotels (or maybe just those that have a separate mail room). When I stayed at Coronado Springs in 2010, I was charged for package pickup, but I was aware that this was going to happen ahead of time.

1) Convention and Deluxe hotel services are staffed by "contractors", NOT employees of WDW.
2) They are cheaper through contract with the vendor than paying WDW wages
. . . Bellmen
. . . All Valet Parking
. . . Package Handlers
. . . Business Center (copying, printing, etc)
3) When they get packages, they charge extra.
4) Sorry, but that is their contract with WDW.

When they get packages, they charge extra.
Not to be argumentative, if they are cheaper than paying WDW wages wouldn't it make more sense to charge less for deliveries there than at the non-deluxe/convention hotels?

I suspect the reason they charge for package services at the convention locations was because most of the conventioneers are going to expense account it anyway so there's not a lot of push-back.

Ah, so it sounds like it's not DW's decision as much as it is the contractor's...now that actually does make more sense.

At the Fort I doubt that many people get packages. But I was reading comments on Facebook today and people have seen the UPS deliveries. It's not just one or two packages here and there, it's a heck of a lot of packages. As airline fees have increased for luggage more people are shipping packages. I am sure the volume is pretty high so it doesn't surprise me that this fee is being introduced. Still though the $5 fee per package is a lot cheaper than paying for an additional bag on a plane.

Not to be argumentative, if they are cheaper than paying WDW wages wouldn't it make more sense to charge less for deliveries there than at the non-deluxe/convention hotels?
The contractors are Cheaper for DW to pay then it would be for them to pay employees their wage (and benefits). So that means the contractors (or rather their company) want to do the LEAST amount of work they can get away with (Contractually). So to make up for the "Extra" work of handling packages, it's not surprising that a fee would be charged.

I'd be curious to know what kind of disclosures there are about such fees and how it's handled if someone does not pay a fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter