$7.00 missing from room left on counter

James00777

Earning My Ears
I am at OKW with my wife checking out tomorrow. I put $7.00 on the counter at the front door. We came back from the pool 4pm and money gone. My wife noticed towels in bathroom pickup up and folded, not changed. Trash was removed. Two days ago housekeeping came with fresh towels and soap. I gave her $5.00.
The $7.00 was intended for the person cleaning the room tomorrow when we leave. Manager stated that counter area by the door is customarily for tips and manager presumed the staff member changing the trash thought the money was left for them. I told the manager that staff member should not have

James. let's not call this right or wrong. Let's call this-lesson learned. Yes, it is customary to put a tip on the counter near the door. Housekeeping saw the money, assumed it was a tip, and took it. No harm meant. I understand how it would be a bit of a shock to find money gone when you weren't intending it to be used as a tip. You went to the manager, which you should do if you have an issue, and he fixed your problem.

James. let's not call this right or wrong. Let's call this-lesson learned. Yes, it is customary to put a tip on the counter near the door. Housekeeping saw the money, assumed it was a tip, and took it. No harm meant. I understand how it would be a bit of a shock to find money gone when you weren't intending it to be used as a tip. You went to the manager, which you should do if you have an issue, and he fixed your problem.
Well said

Question, if the money was not for that day, why did you leave it out when you left your room to go to the pool? If I were the housekeeper, I would have thought it was a tip, too. Lesson learned, and be thankful it was only $7.

Thank you cruising spud.
Your reply really helped me destress.
When I noticed the missing money my trust in Disney went way down. I felt violated and did not realize $7.00 would be thought of a tip for changing the garbage. That value is $2 or $3 to me and only if I requested the service. I learned the garbage change is part of Disney's daily room inspection
t

Question, if the money was not for that day, why did you leave it out when you left your room to go to the pool? If I were the housekeeper, I would have thought it was a tip, too. Lesson learned, and be thankful it was only $7.
We are checking out tomorrow and the money was intended for the housekeeper who cleans the room when we check out and I didn't want to forget.

We are checking out tomorrow and the money was intended for the housekeeper who cleans the room when we check out and I didn't want to forget.

You now don't need to leave a tip in the room on the last day, especially as you already tipped her twice already for other services during your stay. She HAS to come in to prepare the room for the next guest anyway.

I also want to add I changed the garbage myself earlier today and only a couple of things in there. We are only two people and nothing needed. The towels on the bathroom floor are so we don't slip.

So you’re complaining the housekeeper wasn’t telepathic? Every single person here has informed you that was a tip for Housekeeping. Learn. And quit claiming theft when the only person who screwed up was you.

(And $7 isn’t some baller tip even just for trash so no, they shouldn’t have assumed it was too generous to be a trash/security check tip.)

So you’re complaining the housekeeper wasn’t telepathic? Every sle person here has informed you that was a tip for Housekeeping. Learn. And quit claiming theft when the only person who screwed up was you.

(And $7 isn’t some baller tip even just for trash so no, they shouldn’t have assumed it was too generous to be a trash/security check tip.)
gottolovepluto,

Pre-Covid-when you stayed at a hotel you could count on housekeeping to #1-arrive in the morning every single day #2-tidy your room, vacuum, clean the bathroom, empty your trash, etc. Nowadays all bets are off as to when/if housekeeping is even going to arrive and what constitutes cleaning a room.

I think James' point was that since housekeeping had recently come in, he didn't expect anyone to come into the room on this day or at this time of day. So, he leaves the next day's tip on the counter, so he won't forget to use it. Reasonable. He comes back to the room and finds the money gone. Some people are going to be able to shrug this off-my bad, housekeeping saw the money, thought it was theirs, and took it. Lucky them. Other people get agitated and fixate a bit. People are different. It's what makes this world so wonderful. James gets agitated but handles it. He goes to the manager, addresses the problem, and gets his money back. And, then he takes it one step further. He asks opinions, perhaps so he can handle a situation like this better next time or avoid this happening again.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter