7 nights of heaven at Aulani

BKelly

Earning My Ears
Wow. As I sit here I am listening to the recording I took at the Olelo Room of Somewhere Over the Rainbow... I can taste the Lava Flow (even at 8:23am EST). Thank goodness for the video function on the iPhone's.

We were married last September and finally took our honeymoon in Hawaii this year (thanks to my parents DVC- looking into my own now, see other thread regarding my questions). We arrived in Hawaii on 8/25 and spent one night at the Sheraton Waikiki. Had we not been upgraded to an ocean/Diamondhead view, I may not have been so blown away, but they did and I was. Stunning. The pictures are right out of a poster.

Tuesday started with a wonderful breakfast at Egg's and something.. I don't recall the name but it was a $5.99 full breakfast (plus $ for the mimosa's). Next up, Diamondhead which was simply amazing but no fun to realize halfway up that you're really not a fan of heights, which this place is all about. I was shocked to see the number of kids and babies that I did. There are railing and fences, but I definitely would not feel safe having my kids climbing- the ground is very rocky in some spots with only one side having a rail for the two 'lanes' of up and down traffic. Anyway, we did it and it was gorgeous. Parking was easy, a simply line until a parking spot opened which took not even five minutes as there was (while we were there) a constant flow of coming and going.

After Diamondhead we headed straight for Aulani. Check in was a BREEZE with many cheers once word was out that we were on our honeymoon. I read somewhere a comment someone made about the lobby not being as big as it appears in pictures. Might be true, however it is still stunning. There is also a lot more to it than I saw in my pre-vacation research. Sitting areas, kids areas, balconies overlooking the pool/river and Makahiki. It is lovely and while we were there, it was busy.

I did request, after reading a review here and seeing photos, room 1406 (one bdrm villa with ocean view) and we did get it- yay! I will post pics later. The elevators are fast, we never had to wait long and I can still hear the elevator announcing 'Lobby'... oh, the things that you hold on to...! We did buy the refillable mugs which my husband made great use of- he drinks coffee 24/7, I don't know how he does it.

We did do Makahiki one night. Food was ok, I read plenty of food reviews beforehand and knew that I wasn't going to be 'blown away'. Unfortunately, it was our introduction to poke that night and what was out did not look or taste as fresh as it should have been. Peel and eat shrimp was very good, that's all I need to be happy. The drinks and service were fabulous. We did not eat at Ama Ama.

We did rent a Casabella one day which was a great idea. Comfortable and great service- and only around $50 for the day! I could live on the lava flows- I have to learn how to make these. While the pool area was a madhouse (we avoided it until our second to last day), the beach had plenty of room. We tried to do the lazy river earlier in the week and the line for a tube was ridiculous... no thank you. Next to last day, we did the lazy river first thing in the morning which was SO nice and then we tried the slide. Please remember to hang on! I was so busy filming our trip down that I forgot there were handles and that they were probably there for a reason. I had purchased one of those $20 waterproof pouches-which work GREAT- and was glad I did, it was so much fun to use! I was surprised how quickly the slide goes- you move pretty fast. In the end, tube flipped, husband landed on top of me, the video ends under the water.. it was pretty funny. Unexpected landing, but it was fun.. for a moment, we weren't 37 and 46, we laughed like kids and that is one of the best memories.

We did walk to the beach down by the Marriott that isn't a part of either property.. no turtles to be seen. I don't know how anyone snorkels there.. the water seemed so turbulent. During our entire vacation, there were about 3 or 4 drownings on the island, one (based on the address) I believe may have been at this beach, although I can't say for sure. Google maps put it right here. I was very sorry to read about this while there.

The fabulous Monkeypod gets two thumbs up from me. Delicious, fast and friendly. Not the most extensive menu but that was ok. The pumpkin patch ravioli that people rave about was great! The different flavors in the Saimin (spelling?) were so strong and wonderful. Fish tacos didn't offer flavor to speak of... I would not recommend them. The live singing was so good.. I wish I had recorded that, too.

Kualoa ranch, two hour horseback ride- stunning scenery. Pearl Harbor- more emotional of an experience than I thought. To each their own, but I couldn't bring myself to take pictures, especially a 'selfie'. I took shot one of the outside of the Arizona memorial. As an American with some Japanese heritage, I still can't put into words how this experience made me feel.

Giovanni's shrimp truck- YUM. We tried to go a second time on the Sunday before the holiday.. once we saw the line we kept moving which was fine as the drive around the island is so beautiful.

Paradise Cove Luau was so much fun. It was a bit cheesy at times, but we really enjoyed it. The food was fine- I wasn't expecting anything gourmet. The entertainment was entertaining, the dancing was beautiful and they kept our attention- no yawning. The show engages the audience, it was really well done. They may get tired of doing this night after night, but it didn't show. Fun and I would do it again.

Aloha stadium swap meet was great! It was so hot but it was worth it. Leave your souvenir shopping for this place. Lots of drink stands and treats, it was a great way to spend the morning.

We do splurge on a couples LomiLomi massage at Laniwai. It was simply amazing, the best massage experience that either of us have had. Lole and Chanelle know what they are doing and you are sure to have a wonderful experience.

The rental car was worth it, we left the resort every day we were there except for one. It allowed us to really get out and explore- and for our entire stay in Hawaii, 8 nights and 9 days it was about $250 through Avis (might have been Hotwire). This also allowed us to make runs when we wanted to Target or Denny's, where we had breakfast three times.

Overall, I would definitely go to Aulani again, however it was a stark difference to our one night in Waikiki. Disney to me means 'family' and families there were. Lots of children- we actually felt bad the second we arrived, we missed our kids (who actually were fine with us taking our honeymoon without them, a first for us as our vacations are ALWAYS WDW with them). Our room was beautiful comfortable and very clean. The view was something I will never forget. The sounds have stayed with me and I love replaying the video I was able to take. Disney did a wonderful job of creating this place, combining Hawaiian culture and Disney without going overboard. There was no doubt it was Disney, as they have a special way of communicating and doing things- if you have experienced it, you know. I have such wonderful memories and I am so looking forward to going back and creating more.

Pictures are promised when I figure out how...

Great report. Glad you had a wonderful honeymoon.

We were there around the same time ( August 28-Sept 4) and absolutely loved it. I miss it. ;)

It sounds like you had an amazing trip. I used to live on Oahu and you definitely did a lot of the highlights. Congrats!

It sounds like you had an amazing trip. I used to live on Oahu and you definitely did a lot of the highlights. Congrats!

Wait... you used to live there and you LEFT?? If I could only get my hubby to agree to the move... !!

Thanks!

Wow. As I sit here I am listening to the recording I took at the Olelo Room of Somewhere Over the Rainbow... I can taste the Lava Flow (even at 8:23am EST). Thank goodness for the video function on the iPhone's.

We were married last September and finally took our honeymoon in Hawaii this year (thanks to my parents DVC- looking into my own now, see other thread regarding my questions). We arrived in Hawaii on 8/25 and spent one night at the Sheraton Waikiki. Had we not been upgraded to an ocean/Diamondhead view, I may not have been so blown away, but they did and I was. Stunning. The pictures are right out of a poster.

CONGRATS on your marriage! :lovestruc BEAUTIFUL place to spend a honeymoon! Many happy years ahead!We "celebrated" our "31st" in Aulani end of May combined with our youngest DS graduation from HS! :cheer2:
Had such an AWESOME TIME!!:dance3:

Us "Jersey Folk" LOVE AULANI! :thumbsup2:cheer2::beach:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter