• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

8/27 to 8/31 Dining Report Part Two

tricia28

Earning My Ears
Here is link to Part One:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=638315

8/30 - Monday Breakfast at Cape May
Called the same morning to get a PS at 10:20 am for the six of us. When we arrived there we were promptly seated and found plenty of breakfast food at the buffet though the crowds were winding down. The dining room there is very relaxing, with sand castles and a beachy feel. The character interaction was great, Minnie, Goofy, Chip and Dale came by at least three times each! Definately the most relaxed character breakfast but food itself is a notch higher at Chef Mickey's for breakfast.

8/30 Monday Tea at Grand Floridian Garden Room
PS at 2:00 pm. Checked in alone while my husband kept my two girls occupied so they wouldn't hear me ask the manager to bring out their preordered slipper desserts as soon as girls were seated. Once we were seated, the desserts were brought out by two servers while the manager loudly said, "May I have your attention. As you know, everyday is a special day at Disney World, but today is even more special because it's Jessica's birthday." My daughter was beaming and the envy of all who saw the slipper dessert. Definately a nice birthday surprise. My husband had the Prince Edward tea with port and I had a plate of the tea sandwiches. The food is always delicious and the service attentive. We eat here every trip and it's a wonderful way to unwind especially since we had spent the last three days at the park.

8/30 Monday Dinner at Boma
This has always been my favorite place to eat at WDW but that being said, I am an adventurous diner who loves trying new things. I know some people dislike Boma because it is not typical "meat and potatoes" buffet. All I can say is, it's a buffet, try a little bit of everything, be open minded. I think it's amazingly good and when I asked the server for recipes she handed me a piece of paper and told me to ask for as many as I wanted. I walked along the buffet line and requested at leat 10 different recipes including some soup recipes for soups I had tasted on a prior visit. When I got home all the recipes were waiting for me in my e-mail. I am going to try and make Banana Bread Pudding and Corn Plaintain stew this week!

8/31 - Tuesday Breakfast at Spoodles 9:00 am
I know they are known for their dinners but we had just got back from an early morning surf lesson for my daughter at Typhoon Lagoon so this was a last minute decision. Our server was very nice and prompt in taking our order and serving our beverages. The food was actually very good. I had a vegetable open faced omlette and it was quite flavorful. The kids breakfast of eggs, bacon and toast was perfect for them. The place was almost empty and very relaxing.

8/31 - Tuesday Dinner at California Grill at 8:20
I may get flamed for this but...I was very dissapointed with our dinner here. Maybe my expectations were too high after hearing others reviews. I reserved a table for seven people months in advance to make sure to be there for the Wishes fireworks at 9:30. After checking in early and asking to be somewhere near a window to see the castle, we were shown past several empty tables for seven and they tried to seat us in the back of the restaurant. After my Illuminations fiasco (see Part 1) and knowing this was a very expensive dinner for our last night, I flatly, but politely, refused to be sat in the back. They assured me I could go outside and see the fireworks and with rain imminent I said, "Then are you guaranteeing it won't rain on all of us?" he quickly backed down and they gave us a table in the middle of the room on the same side as the castle. Yes, the fireworks were great when they dimmed the lights but IMHO the noise level during dinner is nothing short of deafening and the food is overpriced. This being said, I am not cheap and enjoyed a very expensive meal at Jiko two days earlier which blew this dinner away. The only thing I can highly reccommed is the Heirloom Toamto salad. The flat bread at Jiko is better, and the Artichoke Crab appetizer here is not worth the price. Live and learn!

:earsgirl:

Thanks for your reviews!

When we go, we can't afford to eat at the really nice places often, so we usually only do one... and I've been teetering between Jiko or CG for our next visit, and you've made my decision for me! My mom already has not been thrilled with CG but was willing to try it again for me, but I think we'll do Jiko =)

Glad I could help, request a table by the window and if Jeff is working ask for him. He was our waiter. He made some great suggestions and patiently explained any entree we asked about on the menu. I had the Bass and my husband had the monkfish. Mine was great but his was AMAZING! It tasted like lobster. :wave2:

I enjoyed your reviews. Thank you for taking the time to post about your experiences!

Wonderful reviews, Tricia! We have a few of the same places planned for October. I hope our experiences are as good as yours.

Pat

48 days and counting . . . again!

Great Reviews. We were also disappointed with CG this time. Agree with you, very noisy. Service was poor. Dinner was brought out before appitizers were cleared. They asked my DH to move his dishes so they could place the new one in front of him... thought that was wierd.

I agree with you about CG, so no flame here. We want to try Cape May so I enjoyed reading about that. We love Boma also. We went 2x last trip, the soups are heavenly. (desserts too!)

It seems like everyone loves CG and so I have been second guessing myself and thinking of trying it again. We were not impressed at all but it has been several years since we tried it. We do, however, love Jiko! Now, having a read reports from a few diners like yourself lately who had the same impressions that we did, I'm not going to be as quick to give it that second chance.
We, too, love the tea!
Thanks for your reviews!

We ate at CG on 08/30. Although we had a very nice meal, I thought the background music selection was very odd for a restaurant such as the CG and the volume of the music was very loud.

Totally agree that the flatbread from Jiko beats the CG hands down!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter