• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

81 or 95 with storm?

NicsMom1500

Mouseketeer
We live in Pennsylvania. We were going to try driving 81 south to 77 to 26 to 95.

However, we leave tomorrow! And there is an ice storm predicted.

We've moved our departure from 3 p.m. to an earlier time of 9:30 a.m.

Should we do 81 to 66 to 17 to 95 instead? This is our usual route.

We were planning on driving to Hillsville VA via the 81 south to 77 south route tomorrow. If we go the other way, we usually stop in Roanoke Rapids, NC.

Which is our best bet tomorrow and Thursday? Thursday we are only driving to Brunswick, GA.

We have an almost 3 year old son. Safety is our primary concern so we will get a hotel as soon as weather is bad.

Anyone hearing forecasts where they live along our route??

Thanks!!!!

If it were me, I would do the usual route of 81 to 66 to 17 to 95.

The storm is coming from the southwest. Staying as far east as early as you can should buy you some extra driving time. The temperature is supposed to be slightly higher and accumulation slightly less in this area than around Roanoke.

I've driven through the VA mountains on I-81 before and it's not fun. There may be more traffic on I-95 but if something happens there's a better chance of getting help from a good samaritan or being within cell phone range.

I would try to get further south than Roanoke Rapids if you can. They will be right on the southern end of the advisory, and weather forecasting is not an exact science.

Thanks for the info!!

We are leaving at 9 a.m. and headed the 81, 66, 17, 95 route.

We hope to drive as far south as possible until the bad weather hits.

I truly appreciate the help!

Better get back to packing...

You're welcome. :)

I think one key is to leave early enough to get as far south and ahead of the ice storm as possible.

Have a safe trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter