• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

9" TV/VCR for car

We bought the 9" combo for our Expedition. We place an Atlanta Business phone book on top of the console and the TV combo on top of that. This rases the TV about 2 inches so our 4 year old can see the screen from the third row seat. I strap it down as tight as possible with a 3" wide luggage strap.

Be sure and check out the location of the speaker. Ours was on the left side of the TV. This put it right next to the Driver's right shoulder. It was too loud and distracted the driver so on our second trip we bought an inexpensive pair of Sony computer speakers so we could move the "sound" further away from the driver's seat. Works great.

baileybrad,
Tell me how the roof top satelight dish works? We have a dish at home and I love it. It would be great to have the Disney Channel for our kids on our next trip in December if you don't have to pay for the service 12 mos each year. BTW, can you just take the card from your home unit and plug it into the mobile unit? This would be great since there won't be anyone home to watch anyway.

Of course, we already don't travel lightly. When we go for a week, we have a roof top luggage carrier on top as it is. I don't know if I could fit another piece of equipment on top of our Expedition.

Steelhorse Video makes a variety of tv/vcp combos for use in cars, including the one in a bag that others have mentioned, as well as console units like the one we bought for our Olds Silhouette. The quality seems to be very good (at least so far).

The console units are very nice. Ours fits between the front seats. The 9" tv faces the rear seats. The vcp is inside, along with storage for tapes or whatever. The unit has a good speaker that faces the rear, inputs for video games, and headphone jacks. The unit attaches to the floor so it is very safe (no bungee cords or tv's that can fly around in an accident). The console goes very well with the interior and looks like it is part of the car. Our daughter loves it. While it is not portable like those in a bag, the tv is much larger (9" vs about 4") and we don't have to worry about rigging it up as it is already there and very easy to use.

The console we got sells for about $450. We were luck enough to get an "open box" item from Best Buy for about a third of that. Big electronics stores sell the consoles and the units in a bag. If you do an online search for Steelhorse Video you can find places that might sell them cheaper. I have also seen both types of units on ebay.

Good luck.

Originally posted by red65
I think we are going with the the regular tv/vcr and will buy the dual conversion cord (with 2 outlets, about $50) for the tv and the nintendo. Pricewise it's about the same as buying the tv with the adapter and then buying an additional one with only 1 outlet - We didn't want to tie up 2 cigarette outlets in the car, and have cords all over the place.
RED65
118 to go!

Can we get the dual conversion cord from Radio Shack and then use the tv/vcr we already have in the house? It doesn't have to be especially for the car, does it? TIA!

The "conversion" cord, as I call it, has 2 regular outlets on one end and the other end plugs into the cigarette lighter. Walmart has the version with 1 outlet for $24.99, Ames did advertise this as well a few months ago. The 2 outlet version was available through the AAA magazine and was $49.99. I tried our local (but small!) radio shack and they did not have them. If you have 2 cigarette lighters, you could always plug the tv/vcr into 1 cord and a nintendo into the other cord.

Red65
113 days!!:bounce: :pinkbounc :bounce:

Dh said he saw the TV/VCR in a bag at Canadian Tire. I just looked online but they don't have it online. If you have a big one nearby, give them a call

We're looking into the tv/vcr in a bag. Does anyone have one that can give
me a review. My DH thinks 4'' screen is too small. We have a 4 Ford 150
SuperCrew, so no floor room to install. It will have to hang from the front
seats.

I appreciate any comments !!!!

Cheryl

SWe just got back from WDW and we bought a 9" tv/vcr combo from SAMS for $184.99.
We already had the earphones and the dual connector, so we didn't buy those, but they are super helpful in the noise level.

We also found a tv'vcr holder at Target for 9.99 to keep it in place, instead of the bungee cord or the luggage strap. It is securely down and can't be moved to easily. and looks nice too.

:bounce:I convinced my sister that her nephew just HAD to have on for Christmas/birthday present! Boy, will that give me some peace on our 7 hour drive to Orlando on New Year's Eve!! :bounce:

I just had circuit city install 4 TV 5.5" monitors in the headrests of my ford windstar. It is installed so when I turn the key on or off it goes on or off. It also can be played through the speakers or with a flip of the switch and the magic of earphones be played that way. The vcp is installed under the passengers seat and I had the option of installing a dvd or even one of each and two TVs could watch one thing and the other two watch something else. LOVE IT. If you would like to see I can email anyone a PIC of it.

tlduckie ... would you mind posting how much that cost you? I love the idea but think it is way more than what I can afford. What I have looked at is the steel horse monitors that can strap to a head rest and the VCP can go under the seat or between 2 bucket seat.

Two monitors for $550.00 to install $75.00 for each headrest. The vcp was $200.00. I would like to know about the ones you are looking at. I would like to have one that I can take down and put away for the front seat. I wanted one for my visor but it was way to much $$$$$$. I bought the ones for my headrest cause my mother just moved to SC and we live in ohio so i figure we will be making alot of weekend trips to SC to visit her. With for children saying (he hit
me)(Don't touch it me) It is well worth the investment! LOL:D

the systme I'm looking at runs about 550. I just found this online, it is 799. It sounds great for your needs. They also haveo en without the tuner. This site seems to have a lot of stuff. I think they have monitors you could ply into the system you already have also.I just found it trying to find the site I had been looking at.

http://www.rearseatvideo.com/newpage14.htm

Has anyone used these tv/vcrs in a car, not a minivan? We have a Honda Accord, and I would like to get one, but it seems all the posters own minivans or trucks.

There are several that could be used in a car. TV in a bag or the steel horse mobile cinema are2 that could be. Here is a likn for another one I saw at best buys. It is made to fasten down with a seat belt. I have seen them in the stores and would get it if it would work in a van but htere isn't a way to position it between 2 captains chairs. http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11080087&m=1&cat=24&scat=1471

I believe it is cheaper in the sotres.

:bounce: I got my son's VCR in a bag today!! I watched tapes in my office! This thing is great! I carried it like a purse up to my office and now I've got the entire department ordering one!

I hope my son gets to use it.... :tongue:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter